The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   LFD's low buck truck build! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=223158)

Hart_Rod 03-05-2007 10:37 PM

Re: LFD's low buck truck build!

Kevin,

No worries, :). I think I have a set found locally. Hopefully, Seanu can use what I have left. Thanks,

R

Rokcrln 03-06-2007 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 2061057)
Kevin,

No worries, :). I think I have a set found locally. Hopefully, Seanu can use what I have left. Thanks,

R

Sounds good I want some spy pics as it takes shape for a future idea I have for a family build.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

PBFAB.COM 03-06-2007 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rokcrln (Post 2061039)
Sorry it sucks getting old as Porter keeps pointing out to me:cool:

Just wait til that little one is running around... then you will really feel old!:)

Hart_Rod 03-06-2007 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porterbuilt (Post 2061425)
Just wait til that little one is running around... then you will really feel old!:)

So if I have one in high school, does that mean I'm really, really old?!

PBFAB.COM 03-06-2007 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 2061621)
So if I have one in high school, does that mean I'm really, really old?!

Ancient!:lol:

Hart_Rod 03-06-2007 11:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rokcrln (Post 2061355)
Sounds good I want some spy pics as it takes shape for a future idea I have for a family build.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Here's a spy pic, :lol: .

Rokcrln 03-07-2007 01:02 AM

Yep much better!

Rokcrln 03-07-2007 11:18 PM

Well I only had a few minutes tonight to work in the shop but I had enough time to build 2 more steel saw horses so I will pull the bed in the next day or so to start checking the frame and getting my next mods lined up. It will include a gas tank, air bags just for load leveling, compressor and tank (pulling into a station with a trailer is a pain!), shorten the frame 12", brake lines and Driveline than new exhaust!

Stay tuned..

Kevin
LFD Inc.

68GMC454 03-08-2007 04:43 AM

its looking good..lover to read your posts..lets me know what im not going to do by myself..lol man i need to learn to weld..lol

Rokcrln 03-08-2007 10:02 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Well I think I have the youngest kid (with my wifes help) working on these trucks:lol: My son Taylor is the one in the yellow circle (about 6 months conceved:lol: )
We got the bed off so I could start sizing up the frame for the tank and choping.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

rodstored-72 03-08-2007 10:06 PM

congrats!!!! i felt the same way when my little one showed up. she likes daddy's green "noisy" truck...

rodstored-72

franky69c10 03-08-2007 11:22 PM

congrats!!!!

1lowdiesel 03-09-2007 10:18 AM

has anybody ever tried cutting down the bed sides w/a plasma cutter. i see everyone uses a cutoff wheel.

HeavyD 03-09-2007 01:52 PM

Slots look sooo good on these trucks.

Rokcrln 03-09-2007 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1lowdiesel (Post 2066802)
has anybody ever tried cutting down the bed sides w/a plasma cutter. i see everyone uses a cutoff wheel.

Here are my thoughts on that one. I have a very nice plasma and I still used the cut off wheels. I feel I have more control and if you use very thin wheels you will get alot less heat and that means less warpage. Also you will have a much better edge to work with for welding back up. I only use my plasma for rough fitting body parts then use the cut off wheel or snips for fine fitment.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Crank 03-09-2007 10:35 PM

I personally have never had any luck cutting thin metals with a Plasma, maybe setting were wrong for thing stuff, but it'd cut 3/8" like it was cool.
Brandon

watahyahknow 03-10-2007 04:04 AM

used to use a plasma cutter on thin steel and zinkprimed steel at that .... lot of green smoke and headacke and it gave burs too like when you cut steel with gas , you need to move the nozle pretty quick with the thinner steel so a guide would be nice
a anglegrinder is cheaper and in my opinion give cleaner cuts as long as you can get the machine to where you need to be .

Crank 03-10-2007 01:15 PM

Well yea, I've tried it, but I always overrun the cut or end up with a big hole in it from too much heat.... Haha. You know what, that was with a torch I was thinking about!!!! Nevermind. LMAO
Brandon

Rokcrln 03-10-2007 10:51 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well I took a personal day today:o While the owner of Lemon Drop was hard at work finishing up the misc block sanding in the shop I was out side working on Low Buck. I finished up the bed welding and then started pulling dents, their sure were alot of them! I thought this bed was rough but not this rough! Well after a few hours of pulling and filling it started to get with the program. I have a few hours left with the long board and then it will be ready for a nice heavy coat of high build primer. Here are a few pics.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

FRENCHBLUE72 03-11-2007 12:45 AM

Nice work trucks really starting to come together gotta love the fun builds..

Rokcrln 03-11-2007 05:18 PM

4 Attachment(s)
The bed is ready to go back on the frame once it has been cut down. I still have some blocking and touch up on the bed but right now it is in better shape then 98% of beds out their. Sure feels good to have this part done.
So I spent an 8hr day cutting down the bed and tacking it back together. Another 8hr day doing body work and 3hrs today sanding and primming. Altogether I have spent about $150 on sandpaper, body filler and primmer.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

$1117.64
62hrs

onetonk5 03-11-2007 05:33 PM

are there any concerns with the top body line not matching....looks like you did a great job but what did it take to make those lines flow so well?

Rokcrln 03-11-2007 09:14 PM

It took some hammer and dolly work but they should be real nice once it is done.

Kevin Lewis

corn 03-11-2007 09:36 PM

Did you by chance take any inside the bed? Looking good BTW!

Rokcrln 03-11-2007 10:09 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some inside bed shots but goes easy on me because that is just welded and ground smooth. I do not plan on any body work to the inside because I think I want to get it line-x'd. This is going to be a work truck after all.

Now after more thinking about it the out side will be very good but that is with alot of metal and body work. Would I do this on a show truck and expect it to be flawless, No. But for a super clean street truck it will be great. Also I am not trying to fool anyone with this being a short bed. It is a Low Buck build that will turn alot of heads when going to the shows (staying out in the parking lot) or pulling my trailer. If I wanted to fool people first (I would not post it on here) I would weld up the center stake pockets and also use patch panels for the front quarter panels because the wheel opening is a little different at the leading edge.

So if you want to try this don't expect it to turn out like nothing was ever done unless you are good with a hammer, dolly, filler and sanding blocks. Even then I would not do this to a high end build but then again that is why this is called "Low Buck".

Kevin
LFD Inc.