The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=612422)

hamjet 07-11-2015 06:31 AM

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

9teen69, very clean looking !!!!

firedemon 07-11-2015 07:09 PM

5 Attachment(s)
got a little more under hood cleaning and painting done lot more to go what a mess

centuryhousedw 07-11-2015 11:12 PM

Replaced both power steering hoses, due to a leak. Primer painted the rear end / bed of the truck.

In The Ten Ring 07-11-2015 11:38 PM

All I did today was primer coat my hood hinges and hood latch.

midniteblues 07-12-2015 09:44 AM

5 Attachment(s)
fixed my broken choke cable.
nobody said it was a easy fix lol.
i didnt know that the tube had a seem and the sheathing was crimped into the tube.
so i split the end of the tube open and peeled some of the plastic coating off
the sheathing.
then i snipped the broken part off and recrimpped it back in. a very small tack weld will keep it in place for good.
not shown is i also welded a small bit on the knob end filed and rethreaded it so the knob will not pull off anymore:metal:

also got most of the (526)white sprayed the nason paint was really thin and transparent it took a few coats.

also installed a heater box cover from a c/50 pretty cool ad on. i didnt realize the black cover was so hard too see till i uploaded the pic :lol:

back to sand sand sand

midniteblues 07-12-2015 02:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
just realized i never put up the pic of my finished lights from a few pages back.
whats cool about blasting some of these parts is the rubber and connector pins come out fresh&clean even though there is a tiny bit of over spray it cleans rite off.
(not today but)this passed week i also installed all led's in the dash heater control cig lighter and dome lites.
the dash and others look great but i'm not sold on the dome light led yet.

i'm now conteplating on getting the led bulbs for all the outside lights.

In The Ten Ring 07-12-2015 09:26 PM

I got about all I could do today done:

I very nearly removed the old core support BUT 1 carriage bolt broke free from the core support (a testimony to the amount of rust mine has) and free wheeled. I'll have to grind off the head or cut off the stud.

I did begin rust removal on the canister bracket and I'll soon start on the new battery tray.

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/...pshyelbyp5.jpg

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/...psdgnvjci3.jpg

Cheezer_72 07-13-2015 09:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Finished installing my new bucket seats. Yeah!

5567Cruiser 07-13-2015 09:18 AM

Those seats are sweet, look good for some long cruises!

stepsider 07-13-2015 09:24 AM

NICE SEATS, WHAT DID THEY COME OUT OF. SIMPLE BRACKETS TO INSTALL OR DID YOU HAVE TO MODIFY ? :flagw:

summitflier 07-13-2015 07:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pulled out the seat, gas tank, dash, windshield, rear glass, and took off the doors.

DarkFlounder 07-13-2015 07:23 PM

Gave up on finishing sandblasting the truck bed last night. Having to wait for the compressor to catch up, the wife complaining about the dust, and the crappy uncomfortable hood just made me give up.

I got most of the bed done, passenger bed side, back panel, both wheel wells. Driver bed side is mostly sanded down to bare metal, just need to touch up the corners. gonna try to find a local blaster to finish the bed floor. The dried glue and spilled paint just drags the whole process down.

Bocephus69 07-13-2015 07:52 PM

drug this ol' gal out of the weeds last week after sitting for 10 years. ordered some ignition parts, cleaned out the fuel tank, rebuilt the carb, got her running, and brought her home yesterday. if it was not for this website, i would still be out in the garage scratching my head and chasing electrical demons. but thanks to the good info i found here, i got some parts ordered to fix my electrical problems and hopefully get this old 69 back on the road in good, working condition. i am not wanting to make her look pretty....i just want to get it in good running condition. my father in law has owned it since the early 80, he swapped a 350 with auto tranny into it in the early 90s (donors came from a 78 caprice). looking to put this pickup back on the road, and back to work!

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...s/IMG_3195.jpg

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 07-13-2015 10:30 PM

10 days off but back at it. The paint is removed from what's under the bed, though a few areas remain pending exhaust, shocks, brakes and leaf removal.

Bought my first air impact wrench...........ha, I've been missing out. I think I'm going to be pleasantly surprised to remove the spring eye bolts for the rear leafs. There's absolutely no sign of rust, but I'm spraying them down as if there was anyway. Better not need to torch (boom!). U-bolts are another story. Spraying those down even more. This stuff needs to come off, and soon.

Cheezer_72 07-14-2015 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stepsider (Post 7239538)
NICE SEATS, WHAT DID THEY COME OUT OF. SIMPLE BRACKETS TO INSTALL OR DID YOU HAVE TO MODIFY ? :flagw:

They came out of a 73 suburban. I had to make some new brackets, it wasn't bad. I went down to the steel shop bought some scrap for a couple of bucks and went to town.

65swb 07-14-2015 02:44 AM

picked it up is all I got done today. just did make the 20 mile trip home before the front tire slipped the belt and about blew http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...uild/69-10.jpg

mike16 07-15-2015 02:40 AM

I added another quart of oil

In The Ten Ring 07-15-2015 05:15 AM

I just now sent paypal funds to a forum member for his original and really nice OEM steering wheel. It's not perfect but much better than mine. That was one piece I never thought I'd be able to find.

summitflier 07-16-2015 11:53 AM

Nice!!

You wouldn't believe the looks you get from some people when they over hear you saying "I have body parts scattered all over my yard".

I really enjoy drilling and sawing them into more useful parts.

I can't wait for the look on their faces when I start talking about yanking off the heads.

In The Ten Ring 07-17-2015 11:18 PM

I just came in. I borrowed dad's angle grinder (which is at least as old as the 1980's) and ground the head off the free wheeling carriage bolt (core support).

I first tried my Dremel Tool but it was way out of its league.

Then I met my match: a stuck inner fender bolt that I'll have to cut out. Too much rust in that inner fender. I'll cut that away tomorrow (with the Dremel Tool) and remove the old core support.

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4kitlxwg.jpg

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/...pse1cc5wdw.jpg

jethro5333 07-18-2015 05:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
a little chrome for the rear end.
getting the carpet set in. have to cut holes for the shifter and the high beam switch.
going to have to slow down for a few weeks. going in for surgery on Tuesday. O happy day!

Already Gone 07-18-2015 07:59 PM

Took my Highlander to a local Show & Shine my first show since I bought the truck.

special-K 07-18-2015 08:41 PM

Finally got to the front end reassembly on my '72. i packed the bearings, installed seals, and put the hubs/rotors on. I went ahead and did the driver side since the parts guy accidentally got me two rotors, and I decided it was time for a full front end service. I'm glad I did because once put back together I don't like the feel of the bearings om that side. They looked fine when I inspected them after cleaning. So, it's tear the driver side down again and put new bearings in. I have the rotors on for now, so I can drop the axle to put 4" springs on. I painted the shocks today, too. I hope to be driving it by the end of the month.

In The Ten Ring 07-18-2015 10:33 PM

Got the core support off. It's now sitting outside the garage, awaiting its final ride to the scrap yard.

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/...psorpspb4p.jpg

midniteblues 07-18-2015 11:22 PM

tuned the timing and carb on the kids truck again today.
he came home the other day an said "its popping out the carb again and not running rite";).
last time it did this i told him too tighten the dizzy after i timed it.... of course he never did and he must've been out beatin on it again and twisted the dizzy again cause it was way off.
then he figured it was the carb so he started turnin all the screws.....ughh!.....kids

next time he can do it:lol:

also fitted my nos 67-70 bumper guards too my freshly painted front bumper:metal:
just too get them too fit perfect.

now on to blasting an priming them tomarrow along with a few other small parts.