The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=612422)

chefk85 08-03-2015 09:38 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

Screwed up my timing by doing it by ear without a clue what the timing was set at to begin with(still runs down the road but falls flat if you get in it. new owner of this truck and after much thought I'm starting to think the quadrajet that was put on it could have been off of a 350(283 ci in truck). live and learn then start @ TDC and use a timing light with a carb rebuild. :smoke:

In The Ten Ring 08-03-2015 09:54 PM

I ran electrolytic rust removal (ERR) for about 6 hours on my canister bracket. Most of the hard-to-reach paint came off along with all of the surface rust so I'm happy. I have it in Evaporust soak now.

I coated my remaining core support-to-fender bracket with NAPA Rust Treatment.

I also took my core support back home....it was taking up too much room in my parents' garage. It's fully painted now though so it was time.

zellway 08-04-2015 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fartblossom (Post 7261765)
I worked REALLY hard today. I installed my new "lighted" LMC cigarette lighter. Because we all know how important it is to be able to get your lighter back in the hole at night after lighting your Pall Mall.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/ML...4=w780-h577-no

just seeing the pic I was thinking you had a shorted out one and it was glowing from it. :lol:Guess it's best to read the info first.

powerhaulic 08-04-2015 11:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Finally found a set of 285/70-15 BFG's for the back of the truck and mounted them:flagw:

fartblossom 08-04-2015 03:18 PM

Fought through the Denton County Tax Office and got the truck titled and registered. Did a "classic" registration which lets you use YOM plates. Picked these up off of ebay. Made me wish I had a 68, as those plates were really cool. Black with white letters and the word "Hemisfair" on them.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/XV...=w1052-h779-no

ole dollor 08-04-2015 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fartblossom (Post 7263621)
Fought through the Denton County Tax Office and got the truck titled and registered. Did a "classic" registration which lets you use YOM plates. Picked these up off of ebay. Made me wish I had a 68, as those plates were really cool. Black with white letters and the word "Hemisfair" on them.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/XV...=w1052-h779-no

that's kool.

Undone 08-04-2015 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powerhaulic (Post 7263426)
Finally found a set of 285/70-15 BFG's for the back of the truck and mounted them:flagw:

Where did you find those?

In The Ten Ring 08-04-2015 06:13 PM

Today I finished getting the old paint off of the canister bracket and hit it with Rust Treatment (not shown).

Painted the core support to fender bracket and wire wheeled and Rust Treated the bumper nuts and washers. I probably should just replace every washer, nut, and bolt on the truck but this is how I do it. Clean in Evaporust, wire wheel, NAPA Rust Treatment.

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/...psljrf3qcz.jpg

powerhaulic 08-04-2015 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undone (Post 7263751)
Where did you find those?

Performance plus tire in Ca

CST10 08-04-2015 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powerhaulic (Post 7263426)

I like that ol school look. Small and tall.

powerhaulic 08-05-2015 11:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CST10 (Post 7263845)
I like that ol school look. Small and tall.

Thanks!
under the hood a bit old school as well, like me....lol

:truck:

Lou Boffa 08-05-2015 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powerhaulic (Post 7264426)
Thanks!

Just got back from the Adirondacks. Dont see many of our trucks up there. Even newer trucks eaten up by the salt. Beautiful country. Beautiful truck.

quick60 08-05-2015 04:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Put it to work!!!! Eleven truck loads out of my backyard total!!!!

CST10 08-05-2015 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powerhaulic (Post 7264426)
Thanks!

Nice too.

mud.man.rj 08-05-2015 05:35 PM

One of very few who use their truck as a...truck. All flavors on here.:thumbs:

In The Ten Ring 08-05-2015 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mud.man.rj (Post 7264759)
One of very few who use their truck as a...truck. All flavors on here.:thumbs:

When mine is running she'll be used as a "truck" also. :ito:

All I did today was buy some washers and nuts (which I'll probably not use the nuts) when it comes time to put the front bumper back on. I also bought some graph paper for a design project I have in mind.

Having a truck (and being a novice welder) opens up vast new horizons......

mud.man.rj 08-05-2015 07:03 PM

If only a person could afford both, a cool hauler and a cooler street truck.

BlacklandCamper 08-05-2015 09:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally got the engine down to bare deck. Didn't find any evidence of burnt valves (nothing obvious anyway), decided the issue is in the lifters, so that means it's time for a new cam, (because why not). Spent the last day finding a good machine shop, and started saving up for a full rebuild on my heads.

ekgguy 08-07-2015 12:18 PM

It has been a long couple of weeks at work... 15 out of 17 days, but I managed to carve out some time today to do some sanding and priming. That is a pretty good transformation if I do say so myself.

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/...psg16wzugv.jpg

firedemon 08-08-2015 06:24 PM

couple weeks ago I replaced the pan gasket today noticed oil on the ground put it up on the lift to check things out now the rear main is leaking dam . I'm gonna live with it for a while been thinking about v8 swap and automatic tranny anyway possible winter project . had it on the lift anyway so I figured id see why it runs so many rpm . pulled the diff cover found the numbers on the ring gear 41:11 3/67 so its 373:1 thought so but on the bright side its the factory rear end down side open diff . looks like another project . and changed the trans gear oil while I was at it .

In The Ten Ring 08-08-2015 09:07 PM

I spent most of the day helping my dad with a steel fabrication project. All I managed to get done on my truck was some concept work. *If it works I'll show you guys everything.

midniteblues 08-08-2015 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekgguy (Post 7266518)
It has been a long couple of weeks at work... 15 out of 17 days, but I managed to carve out some time today to do some sanding and priming. That is a pretty good transformation if I do say so myself.

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/...psg16wzugv.jpg

that is one big fat tub you got going on in the back...is that the plan with your truck too tub it?
oh by the way i havent touched mine in three weeks i miss working on the truck;);)
but next up is releaseing the springs from the hood hinges for blast prime&paint.

just wanna do it in a way that i can blast & paint'm while they are expanded abit (to get full coverage) and put'm back on the hinges without muffin up any paint.

i shoulda been at truck carlise today but theres way too much gowin on with the fam latley

mud.man.rj 08-08-2015 11:34 PM

Wow, good eye on catching the truck is tubbed, missed that myself.

VWNate1 08-09-2015 01:50 AM

As usual , I see a lot of good , hard work here .

About your hood springs : if you bead blast them , they prolly won't hold the hood open anymore .

Agreed stretching for cleaning and re painting is good idea but they tend to loose tension when blasted , leaf springs do too .

A word about hardware : the original stuff is the very best ~ most new hardware is so cheaply made it begins to rust immediately , even here in Los Angeles .

There are many ways to easily de rust it , vibratory cleaners with fine media work great and allow the re use of many unobtanium hard ware items .

Of a dilute mix of distilled water and phosphoric acid with great on ferrous metals .

Blakeman350 08-09-2015 05:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Made a kickdown switch for my th400. Fabbed up a bracket and mounted old brake light switch so its against the throttle. Went on about a 60 mile road trip when I got done and it worked better then expected, it's not permanent but after a little paint it will work for now.:metal: