The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   2" Drop Trailing arms (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=358349)

lolife99 11-20-2009 12:41 AM

Re: 2" Drop Trailing arms

So,...
If you made a 1.5" longer trailing arm for this application,... I assume the pinion angle would be adjusted per the trailing arm rear axle mount, and where would the air bag be mounted?
Track bar mount?
Sleeve bag behind the axle?

Or are you even considering this as a new product?

PBFAB.COM 11-20-2009 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 3629680)
So,...
If you made a 1.5" trailing arm for this application,... I assume the pinion angle would be adjusted per the trailing arm rear axle mount, and where would the air bag be mounted?
Track bar mount?
Sleeve bag behind the axle?

Or are you even considering this as a new product?

Oh yes... it's definitely being considered. You're spot on with your observations.

Pretty sure I will make the 1.5" adjustment at the trailing arm x-member, and not the arm. This will allow me to keep one standard length trailing arm all the way across the board (makes production easier) and it will keep the converging angle the same. I will just add some more holes to the trailing arm x-member to frame mounts allowing it to be used in it's factory position, or moved back to accomodate more drop.

As for pinion angle... there's so many variables (one or two piece driveshaft; ride height; tire diameter; etc) that I will most likely supply some extra axle saddle in the kit, and allow the end-user to adjust per application. If they don't want to put new perches on, they can always shim it.

Bag mounts and shock mounts will be relocated (have a couple ideas). Trac bar mounts will be incorporated into the notch and trailing arm... most likely.

lolife99 11-20-2009 01:18 AM

I'm interested in this set up.

PBFAB.COM 11-20-2009 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 3629725)
I'm interested in this set up.

I am sure a lot of people will be!;) I will get it all dialed in over the next "two weeks".

64shortc10 12-18-2009 05:40 PM

Any updates????????

Also wondering if I need the Dropmember Bolt in c-notch to lay frame on your trailing arms or if the Kp components weld in notch I already have will work?
Very intrested in this set up, curious to see how the bag setup installs? I need a price when u get a min. on trailing arms/carrier bearing crossmember shipped to 95694? Thanks Nate
Tony from Norcal

joe231 12-18-2009 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe231 (Post 3496472)
so....any plans to adapt this set up to the 73-up frame?

I have been kicking around the idea of swapping a '72-earlier trailing arm suspension into my '80....

Hmmm....
Guess I don't rate.

I asked this question over 3 months ago........

n2billet 12-18-2009 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe231 (Post 3681810)
Hmmm....
Guess I don't rate.

E-mail Nate
nathan@porterbuiltstreetrods.com

I'm sure he would be happy to answer your question......

joe231 12-18-2009 09:36 PM

nah, that's ok

Inverter 12-18-2009 10:02 PM

Right on Nathan!
I'll be putting in my order in January.
Just have the pieces ready in the jigs and I'll fly in and weld em up....You know?So you dont have to go in @ 4 in the morning. ;)

Hart_Rod 12-18-2009 11:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I finally got mine installed.....:metal:

PBFAB.COM 12-19-2009 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe231 (Post 3681810)
Hmmm....
Guess I don't rate.

Joe.... you rate! Don't worry. If you go back and do a little diggin' I am pretty sure I answered this question already. If I didn't, my apologies, and YES... there will be a trailing arm conversion coming out for the square bodies as well.

PBFAB.COM 12-19-2009 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 64shortc10 (Post 3681615)
Any updates????????

Also wondering if I need the Dropmember Bolt in c-notch to lay frame on your trailing arms or if the Kp components weld in notch I already have will work?
Very intrested in this set up, curious to see how the bag setup installs? I need a price when u get a min. on trailing arms/carrier bearing crossmember shipped to 95694? Thanks Nate
Tony from Norcal

Tony-

Been a little hectic this past week, and I apologize for not getting back to you as of yet! I will shoot you a PM this weekend. Pretty sure the KP notch will still allow them to lay with the trailing arms. I will try and get some better pics up, but it won't be til after the holidays.

64shortc10 12-29-2009 05:50 PM

Thanks Nate!
Tony from Norcal

64shortc10 01-04-2010 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porterbuilt (Post 3629694)
Oh yes... it's definitely being considered. You're spot on with your observations.

Pretty sure I will make the 1.5" adjustment at the trailing arm x-member, and not the arm. This will allow me to keep one standard length trailing arm all the way across the board (makes production easier) and it will keep the converging angle the same. I will just add some more holes to the trailing arm x-member to frame mounts allowing it to be used in it's factory position, or moved back to accomodate more drop.

As for pinion angle... there's so many variables (one or two piece driveshaft; ride height; tire diameter; etc) that I will most likely supply some extra axle saddle in the kit, and allow the end-user to adjust per application. If they don't want to put new perches on, they can always shim it.

Bag mounts and shock mounts will be relocated (have a couple ideas). Trac bar mounts will be incorporated into the notch and trailing arm... most likely.

Any updates on this set up? When you have time call me about this setup!
Tony from Norcal

vegaschevy 01-06-2010 09:25 PM

Im using the 2" drop trailing arms with 5" drop springs, What hole would I mount the arms in on the crossmember?

Also The crossmember goes on top of the upper and lower frame rails correct?

ANd if I have a carrier bearing where can it be mounted to? Drill a couple of holes in the thinner piece?

vegaschevy 01-07-2010 10:15 AM

I have answered a few of my own questions. The carrier bearing I have is a different style then 10 different trucks I looked at yesterday. here is a pic of the style of bearing I have. It is in need of replacement anyways so Ill be picking up the other style and I think it will be fine

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...3/IMG_0921.jpg

I see I need the one that has the two bolts that appear to mount perfectly in the provided holes in the crossmember.

I am now unsure If I mounted the crossmember up right as mine fits perfectly between the frame rails with no sandwiching at all which I thought was incorrect and that it sat on top of the upper and lower frame rails. anyone know which way it goes?

Also last question, I know the arms need a preset length of 42.5 but which holes from the original crossmember are used or do we drill all new holes? It seems to line up great with the second and fourth holes I believe it was. Anyone know?

PBFAB.COM 01-07-2010 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vegaschevy (Post 3716105)
I have answered a few of my own questions. The carrier bearing I have is a different style then 10 different trucks I looked at yesterday. here is a pic of the style of bearing I have. It is in need of replacement anyways so Ill be picking up the other style and I think it will be fine

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...3/IMG_0921.jpg

I see I need the one that has the two bolts that appear to mount perfectly in the provided holes in the crossmember.

I am now unsure If I mounted the crossmember up right as mine fits perfectly between the frame rails with no sandwiching at all which I thought was incorrect and that it sat on top of the upper and lower frame rails. anyone know which way it goes?

Also last question, I know the arms need a preset length of 42.5 but which holes from the original crossmember are used or do we drill all new holes? It seems to line up great with the second and fourth holes I believe it was. Anyone know?

Here's a Carquest part number for the carrier bearing we are using #HB88107A

As for the mounting holes in the frame-rails... the member will sit inside the rails, like you have mentioned, and will line up with the original crossmember mounting holes.

With your rear drop you are using, start by placing the front trailing arms pivots in the second hole up from the bottom.

Nate

layingC10nK5 02-13-2010 06:03 PM

i placed my order with Nate :smoke:. will lay frame with his trailing arms, weld in notch, and trailing arm crossmember. this guy has top notch customer service, he is very very patient and answers all your questions. i will definatly be ordering my dropmember from him ASAP(when funds allow) rear set up should be here soon.

68GMCCustom 02-13-2010 07:48 PM

I just read through the whole thread...and was that it? Are we hangin' waiting for the final complete kit or it it all done?

I have a bare frame...and am looking to put a lower, more modern suspension on it, front and rear....w/o spending a fortune. I am not interested in laying frame, but wan't performance handling and a decent ride. Something like a 3/5 drop maybe, just want a slight rake.

Volume discount on the rear TA/crossmember setup plus a front DM, arms, ?stock spindle? and r&p steering? ;)

PBFAB.COM 02-14-2010 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68GMCCustom (Post 3798987)
I just read through the whole thread...and was that it? Are we hangin' waiting for the final complete kit or it it all done?

I have a bare frame...and am looking to put a lower, more modern suspension on it, front and rear....w/o spending a fortune. I am not interested in laying frame, but wan't performance handling and a decent ride. Something like a 3/5 drop maybe, just want a slight rake.

Volume discount on the rear TA/crossmember setup plus a front DM, arms, ?stock spindle? and r&p steering? ;)

All the parts have been done for a bit... didn't mean to leave anybody hangin'! ;)

As for a package deal like you mentioned... of course I can make a deal, just shoot me your number when you're ready to talk!

layingC10nK5 02-22-2010 07:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
:chevy:got my set up today. everything is great. thanks nathan

(sorry about the crappy pics)

GVizzle 02-22-2010 09:18 PM

Wow!

Did you get the new kit that lays frame with the trailer arms?

If so can you post me some bigger pics!!!!!!!

SCOTTMO 02-22-2010 10:26 PM

Nice,congrats on the new parts....one of these days i will get nathan to make me some...

scott

watahyahknow 07-07-2011 04:53 PM

ok oooooold tread but still , i been looking at youre website Nathan and couldnt find a version made for the squarebody , is it made yet and if so is the complete price simulair to the older style kit ?

things over here starting to look up , i'm about to start a new job and got a firm grip on paying my debts , from the looks of it i could get back to work on the truck(s) within a year ..... as soon as i find a new space to work on them (working on that too)

Shane 07-07-2011 09:40 PM

square bodies didn't have trailing arms ... they only came with leaf springs.