The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Rustbuket 67 build "Georgia" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=503533)

67c10rustbuket 08-01-2012 11:47 PM

Re: Rustbuket 67 build "Georgia"

1 Attachment(s)
Bought a new daily driver too. I will be selling the old one once I fix a few things but it sure is nice to have two trucks! drive one to work and load up a trailer on the other. It is older but low miles and the price was right.
:metal:

mcbassin 08-02-2012 09:01 AM

Umm Dan, you changed your mind on just getting it running and driving it for a while? I told you to watch out, these projects can get out of hand in a hurry. Before you know it you're right in the middle of a frame off restoration......

El Campo 08-02-2012 09:08 AM

Smart man getting older DD but low miles! My old Powerstroke I bought when it had 90,000 miles and was several years old but now has nearly 290,000 with virtually no problems. Pay them off quick and drive them forever! Congrats on getting frame blasted !
Posted via Mobile Device

67c10rustbuket 08-02-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 5518791)
Umm Dan, you changed your mind on just getting it running and driving it for a while? I told you to watch out, these projects can get out of hand in a hurry. Before you know it you're right in the middle of a frame off restoration......

LOL BUSTED !! It is a frame off resto, couln't leave well enough alone:chevy: But I promise I wont buy anything from Nate untill it is driving. Well don't hold me to that one either..

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Campo (Post 5518803)
Smart man getting older DD but low miles! My old Powerstroke I bought when it had 90,000 miles and was several years old but now has nearly 290,000 with virtually no problems. Pay them off quick and drive them forever! Congrats on getting frame blasted !
Posted via Mobile Device

Yep thats how I roll. Debt free is the way to go. Hey I could have bought one 5 years newer with twice the miles for almost twice the price.:crazy:
The "new" one is an '01 with 77k miles on a 4.8l. I am very impressed with the engine. I was concerned it might be a little doggy after owning a 5.3 boy was I wrong this thing has some nuts!

67c10rustbuket 08-03-2012 06:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Frame is back :metal:

67c10rustbuket 08-03-2012 06:36 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Got it off loaded into the "cozy" garage. I will return the trailer and pick up some paint and primer in the morning. I also will be taking the control arms, trailing arms, and a few other thing to the blaster next week.

El Campo 08-03-2012 08:00 PM

Looks like they did a great job on it! Happy for you man. Now go and get some primer on it ASAP :)

TchncnDen 08-03-2012 09:16 PM

That's a great way to start!

mcbassin 08-03-2012 09:47 PM

Congrats on the new truck and frame! Nice
Posted via Mobile Device

chevynova22602 08-03-2012 10:04 PM

Nice project man I like how u took the top off it I would be scared as crap to do mine lol but I think it will be a real nice ride when u finish keep up the good work man
Posted via Mobile Device

67cheby 08-03-2012 11:13 PM

Looks clean !
Posted via Mobile Device

suspect 08-04-2012 01:17 PM

it's crazy how clean that blasting gets it.

VA72C10 08-04-2012 01:56 PM

frame looks great! might as well's got you.... ;)

DD1 08-04-2012 02:57 PM

Frame looks nice! I love the way you have the fenders hanging on the wall.

I don't think I will get trapped by the "Might as Well do..." thing. I would be scared to remove everything from the frame.

Awesome job you are doing.

El Campo 08-04-2012 11:09 PM

You have any pictures for us yet of primer and paint??

67c10rustbuket 08-05-2012 12:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Not yet buddy, Bought some PPG Omni (cheapo) Epoxy primer. Cost me $125 for a gallon with a bottle of catalyst and an inline filter for my spray gun. Going to use it on the body also. Doing some research about compatibility etc.. Apparently with Omni line you have only 3 days (at 70 degrees) to topcoat it. I was thinking top coat with farm and implement paint from tractor supply or maybe Eastwood chassis black. Something that I can touch up easily. Any suggestions?? Do I need to use a sealer after prime and before "paint"? Duh I don't know.

The frame has not been touched by my sweaty hands only rubber gloves and was only handled by forklift at the blasting yard. I am wiping it down with prep all wax and grease remover so it does not flash rust.

I also have to do a few modifications and repairs to the frame before priming and painting.

I am NOT a painter but I do have a gun (porter cable PSH1 1.5 and 2.0 fluid tips), the only paint I have done is the slicksand applied to the pass bedside. In doing that I had a friend who paints walk me through it. So if anyone has advise or criticism let me have it!

suspect 08-05-2012 05:47 AM

i use a sealer when i paint body panels, but i wouldn't on a frame. i for sure wouldn't need to use sealer if using implement paint. that paint is some tough stuff. i probably wouldn't spray once it hits 105*. i'm not positive if that's hot enough, but i do know if you paint in a spray booth while you have the heat on to high, your spray will start to dry before it hits the panel causing little bumps.

jhaymon 08-05-2012 06:26 AM

the eastwood chassis black is some good stuff. i used on my last 2 cars. they have bare metal prep for blasted metal i used as well.i put it on with an ordinary spray bottle and wiped it off with a towel just like eastwood said to. it took more time than just spraying on some por 15 etching primmer, but it came really good. im doing an experiment with it right now to see how durable it really is. ive had a blasted piece of sitting outside for 2 weeks that i put it on and it still has no signs of rust.
but anyways, you really need to get something on it pretty fast because blasted metal will rust faster than anything ive ever seen. i little drop of sweat will start pitting in just a few days. i normally use por 15 but ive been looking for cheaper alternative that looks more like factory.
if you use por 15 it sprays through a 2.3mm gun just fine. the eastwood chassis black did just fine trough a 1.8mm gun just like most primmers. it didnt do that great in a 1.0mm touchup gun though.

the slick sand will spray though a 2.3mm as well. you dont need a high dollar gun either.

mcbassin 08-05-2012 11:43 AM

I've been using that omni on my body panels, I really like the results I have been getting with it.
Posted via Mobile Device

El Campo 08-05-2012 01:37 PM

Too bad you aren't closer or I would give you some of the ProSpray jet black that I used as I had a bunch left over.
Posted via Mobile Device

DD1 08-07-2012 10:34 AM

From what I have read, you might want to get a cheap disposable paint gun for POR-15; I would not use it in a gun you want to keep.

chevelle 08-07-2012 03:02 PM

Its pretty cool To know there's someone else on this board from mustang OK with a passion for these old trucks, can't wait to see this one cruising the streets. Good lucknon the build man, it's looking good
Posted via Mobile Device

jhaymon 08-08-2012 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DD1 (Post 5526948)
From what I have read, you might want to get a cheap disposable paint gun for POR-15; I would not use it in a gun you want to keep.

defiantly.i don't think ild load up my sharps or devilbis guns with it, but i would never call a gun disposable. i use a $40 2.3mm automart gun heavy primers. it's actually a pretty nice gun for the money. i've used it several times for slick sand and bed liners as well as por 15 and it's never given me any trouble unlike the $700 sata that, according to all the reviews, was supposed to gods gift to spray guns. they really are great..... if you have a $14,000 rotary screw compressor and a refrigerated dry air system. that pos cant lay color without runs no matter what i do and unlike my other guns, you just barely bump the air adjustment and it pulses like nothing ive even seen. i just mailed it back for the 3rd time today for a refund..ok sorry bout the sata rant it just came out.

Seventy Two 08-11-2012 04:25 PM

Nice work Dan. I look forward to your progress.