The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Project "Jezebel" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=342284)

sgaylord 05-14-2012 06:00 PM

Re: Project "Jezebel"

Quote:

67cheby
wow,nice job
Thanks Cheby

Quote:

sourkraut
How was your after market door? I used 2 and had to remove, cut and reconfigure the hoops on both. Also will have to weld up the edges to get desirable gaps. Looming good
To be honest the repop doors were just as everyone explained them to be. Horrible! I initially bought 2 but the passenger door was so far off that I cut it up and used it to patch my original door. Both were Key Parts doors too.

Sounds like you have the same experience as I did. All 4 sides needed grinding to get a consistent gap.

Quote:

mcbassin
Awesome work on the gaps Steve. I'm about to get into the same thing with my build. I found out my doors aren't as nice as I thought the other day when I took them apart. I went back and reviewed what you did on your's HERE. Where did you get your lower door patches? How did they fit? Suggestions from your experience? thanks.
Hey Mike, I ended up hacking a repop door to get my inner shell and outer skin. Not the best option considering the door cost over 200.00 and the panels would have been much less, but it's what I had.

I would "assume" the patches would be as good as what the repop door was so with your skills i'm sure you can make quick work of it. :metal:

Steve

mcbassin 05-14-2012 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgaylord (Post 5380337)

Hey Mike, I ended up hacking a repop door to get my inner shell and outer skin. Not the best option considering the door cost over 200.00 and the panels would have been much less, but it's what I had.

I would "assume" the patches would be as good as what the repop door was so with your skills i'm sure you can make quick work of it. :metal:

Steve

Thanks for the info Steve. That's pretty much what I thought. I ordered some Tabco lower inner door patches today. The guy on the phone said they were USA parts. We'll see how they fit. I figure I will have to tweak the gaps on the factory doors too.

You are getting close on your project. Keep hammering away friend!

fakerwade 05-15-2012 01:30 AM

Looking Good!!!

sourkraut 05-15-2012 08:45 PM

Thought i was going to save myself time. Not! I am going to fix originals and use them once i get them done.

sgaylord 05-16-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

fakerwade
Looking Good!!!
Thanks Wade. I must say that build of yours is some undertaking. You are making great progress though.. Keep pluggin bro!

Quote:

sourkraut
Thought i was going to save myself time. Not! I am going to fix originals and use them once i get them done.
Yea, that's the route Im going to take if I ever have to do this again. I have a 67 that I want to make a U.S.M.C tribute truck. If I do, I will seek out OEM doors.

Thanks,
Steve

sgaylord 05-21-2012 03:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got my new Goodmark Cowl hood installed. Fit really well, I was concerned considering the problems I had with my doors. In all fairness my doors were not Goodmark but my understanding is there are no good repop doors available.

Attachment 930082

Attachment 930083

Attachment 930084

I also bought a new 67 radiator support from "Top Banana" and installed it after these pics were taken. It was from Key Parts and fit really well. Only minor tweaking was needed. Ill post more pics later.

My next steps I guess will be to start working on my inner fenders.

Steve

mjensen 05-21-2012 10:51 PM

Top notch! Can't wait to see more :)

mcbassin 05-21-2012 11:37 PM

Nice work on the truck Steve. The hood looks really good. Glad to hear it fits good.

Phoax 07-24-2012 11:08 PM

Wow! If I'm ever feeling lazy I'm going to look at this thread. Great fabrication skills. The truck is lookin good. I like the 67' front end.

sgaylord 10-22-2012 01:46 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, now that it's getting a little cooler here in FL I can spend some time on Jezebel. Spent most of the summer offshore fishing in the gulf but now Im motivated to getting her done. I signed up for the PowerTour next year and that gives me just 7.5 months to get it done and all the bugs worked out. Wish me luck, I'm gonna need it considering work is trying to kill me!

The gap between the hood and cowl was too tight. I sectioned the cowl to give about a 3/16 gap. Here is a couple pics of it tacked together.
Attachment 1002186

Attachment 1002187

I then had a situation where the cowl stuck out a little more than I wanted so I pie cut the driver side cowl and pulled it in line.
Attachment 1002188

Attachment 1002189

Attachment 1002190

sgaylord 10-22-2012 01:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a few pics of the finish welding of the panel. My sand blaster crapped out on me before I could finish blasting the 10+ coats of paint off.... Ill need to rebuild the carb before I get it running again. I know its not just me but Isn't it always something trying to pull you away from project?

Attachment 1002194

Attachment 1002195

mcbassin 10-22-2012 02:10 PM

Very nice work fitting the hood to cowl. You're not alone. I haven't touched my project in months. Keep up the good work.

mjensen 10-22-2012 06:36 PM

Looking forward to receiving updates about this again. Your work just amazes me :)

67c10rustbuket 10-22-2012 07:57 PM

Glad to see you back at it, Nice work on the cowl !

sgaylord 10-25-2012 10:53 AM

Thanks guys, it seems that today I am much more busy than I was a few years back. I'm hoping to get Jezebel painted by the end of the year.

Steve

sourkraut 10-25-2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgaylord (Post 5666867)
Thanks guys, it seems that today I am much more busy than I was a few years back. I'm hoping to get Jezebel painted by the end of the year.

Steve

Yeah what is up with that! We have something every night but Tuesday and play chore catch up all weekend! Seems to keep getting busier for everyone!
Any how as always nice work.
Posted via Mobile Device

sgaylord 10-29-2012 11:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It was one of those weekends. Lots of time spent on the truck with few noticeable results. Now that I'm in the body work phase and being the lone ranger on this project, things seem to be moving at a snails pace.

My goal this weekend was to complete the body work on the passenger side. I'll have to say that with the constant distractions I only achieved about 60% of that goal. Any progress is good progress right? :smoke:

Body work is boring, but here is a pic so far. I'm a bit embarrassed to call this progress to be honest. I'll keep steady and soon hope to be past this stage. My goal is to paint by Christmas.

Steve

Attachment 1005339

sgaylord 11-30-2012 05:50 PM

5 Attachment(s)
More progress. Im still doing bodywork but getting closer to paint every day. (Thank God!)

Here are a couple pics of my progress. I have covered all bare metal with etch primer and just shot my first coat of 2k urethane. Ill be moving from the grey primer to buff as I start the blocking process. The green I plan to use should cover the buff better since it's a lighter color. At least that's my theory anyway... :-)

I still have it a goal to have her in paint by the end of the year and on the road in the spring. Lets see how that goes.....

Attachment 1020218

Attachment 1020219

Attachment 1020220

Attachment 1020221

Attachment 1020222

FRENCHBLUE72 11-30-2012 08:38 PM

Body works is clean ....

gdavis 11-30-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgaylord (Post 5661542)
Here are a few pics of the finish welding of the panel. My sand blaster crapped out on me before I could finish blasting the 10+ coats of paint off.... Ill need to rebuild the carb before I get it running again. I know its not just me but Isn't it always something trying to pull you away from project?

Attachment 1002194

Attachment 1002195

It looks like you have it under control. it looks great from here I live in Homosassa, Fl.I am building a 1968 steep side swb

gdavis 11-30-2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgaylord (Post 5661542)

Attachment 1002194

Attachment 1002195

I was thinking about getting me a hood like that. But instead I am repairing my stock hood. The work look great From Homosassa, Fl.

sgaylord 12-04-2012 10:16 AM

Blocking, priming, blocking, priming, you guys know the drill .......

mcbassin 12-04-2012 12:09 PM

Very nice progress Steve!

67cheby 12-04-2012 12:20 PM

nice work on all the gaps !

sgaylord 12-07-2012 05:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

67cheby
nice work on all the gaps !
Quote:

mcbassin
Very nice progress Steve!
Thanks Guys

I have a small update. The brown truck arrived today and brought Jezebel some new swag (67-68 side trim). :metal:

I cant wait till I'm at the stage of installing it. Shouldn't be too long. Nice packaging, thanks Mar-K!

Attachment 1023467

Attachment 1023468