The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Cheap Tricks (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=489394)

flashed 02-17-2012 10:10 PM

Re: Cheap Tricks

Boy thats a great idea ,Im going to use that one at work.

SeniorVerde 04-17-2012 03:43 PM

Here's a fun way to see if any TV remote is working:

Aim the remote at a digital camera or camera phone.
Look at the remote through your camera as if you're going to take a picture of it and push a button on your remote.
If the remote works, you'll see a blinking white light that is usually not seen by human eyes, but your digital camera's viewfinder will show the light blinking at you.
http://www.diyphotography.net/files/...filter_02a.jpg
If you don't see a blink, you might need new batteries.

maskale 04-17-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PanelDeland (Post 5195083)
Wanted to bring this to the top.So here's a "Keeping Momma Happy" tip.Ladder socks.I use an old pair of crew/work socks to cover the feet of my ladder when I bring it in on the carpet in the house.I use it in the garage and the yard and some times the feets ain't clean.With the scks I don't gotta xlean carpets,too.I do have to duct tape them most times if I'm moving the ladder around.

I just put the duct tape on the feet and up the sides an inch or two. Yeah it does leave some residue, which collects dirt also. But its quick. Usually dont even peel it off, just add a fresh strip. Then when it has piled up pull it all off and start again.

RenoKeene 04-18-2012 04:19 PM

I didn't know how far this thread would go when I started it but over 10,000 views so far, wow!
Like I've said before...lots of very, very smart people in here. Thanks everyone that has contributed.

JRANGER 04-18-2012 05:36 PM

ok I have a lil trick my dad taught me in HS for my 95 RAM 1500 I had...If the starter is jacked and the truck wont start....HIT yhe starter with a hammer or wrench a couple times and try again....Had to do that after school for a month or so before I got a new on

maskale 04-18-2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRANGER (Post 5322316)
ok I have a lil trick my dad taught me in HS for my 95 RAM 1500 I had...If the starter is jacked and the truck wont start....HIT yhe starter with a hammer or wrench a couple times and try again....Had to do that after school for a month or so before I got a new on

use the jack handle thats already under the hood, great for poking at the starter. :metal:

NONHOG 04-18-2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRANGER (Post 5322316)
....HIT the starter with a hammer or wrench a couple times and try again....Had to do that after school for a month or so before I got a new on

Reminds me of my buddy smacking his headlight with a fist a couple of times getting the light to make a connection. It worked and I laughed at him for not just buying a new headlight but that same week it came in handy when my headlight went out. :lol:
Back when most everything had big round sealed beams.

JRANGER 04-18-2012 07:06 PM

HAHA!! That reminds me of when i was driving around my dads 85 TA....When the light doesnt pop up pop the hood and hit the light motor!! lol

If you dont see it, we tend to hit stuff a lot lol

Mike Bradbury 04-18-2012 08:18 PM

Oven cleaner will remove the clear anodizing from your aluminum grill and side trim. I used this to polish my front grill, Only problem is that it will be suseptible to oxidation and regular pollishing is necessary, Better than an old dingy grill though.

Mike Bradbury 04-18-2012 08:41 PM

Here is one that has recently had a little controversy thanks to the internet. I use brake cleaner for all kinds of degreasing and cleaning jobs. I have been a welder for 25 years and have used brake cleaner to degrease the metal prior to welding for years. When I heard of the dangers of its use I researched what was causing the danger. It is an active ingredient called Tetracloroethylene. This must be a really old article because I looked at my can of the same brand that I have used for years and it was not on the ingredient listing. Maybe it was removed and replaced with another ingredient. Anyway the stuff evaporates so fast it would be difficult to weld when it was still in its liquid state.

It works great for blasting off grease before painting.

If you get ball point pen on your shirt or your couch or some other fabric it takes it out in a flash with out damaging the fabric. Be careful though it will damage the foam underneath the couch fabric so don’t just fire it right at the couch, but spray onto a towel and apply to the surface.

Mike Bradbury 04-18-2012 08:47 PM

To guarantee good results in catching mice, put two traps side by side snapping toward the wall. Mice walk along the corner where the wall meets the floor, even if they are uninterested in the bait they will have to walk over the trap and it usually gets them, they are also carnivorous and will eat another mouse caught in a trap. If only one trap was snapped then the other will get the carnivore, I got three mice with two traps once :metal:

CRGRS 66 04-28-2012 11:02 PM

Great thread, lots of helpful bits.

An oldie, but a goodie, surprised I haven't seen it yet... A golf tee is perfect for plugging a vacuum line in a pinch.

I have only been on here for a few weeks, love it!

CRGRS 66 05-21-2012 09:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Going to post this tip on what did you do yo your truck today as well, but here is a great tip to help your rad, and heater hoses last a little longer.

Go to your local industrial hose and fitting distributor and ask for hose clamps that are for silicone hose. Silicone hose is very soft (good for higher temps though), the clamps have an inner band that keeps the slots in the nand from damaging the outer cover of the hose.

CRGRS 66 05-21-2012 09:13 PM

For your air ducting go to your local industrial hose supplier with the diameter you need, or a sample. If you tell them it is for your hot rod, they probably won't even charge you.

midniteblues 05-21-2012 11:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I used these paper clips too hold the weather stripping around the top and sides of the door/jam/cab while the glue sets up real good.

A friend of mine had three of these disc wheel covers after loseing one. so we put knobs in the middle and use these for spraying tire dressing without making a mess on the wheel.(only works w/15" wheels though)

I also get 4x8 sheets of cardboard from lumber/plywood dealers I use two of these cut to fit perfectly on my bed floor to protect it while its being stored(most the time something will be in the bed)

MrSchaeferPants 05-22-2012 07:11 PM

This has been said, but I take it a step further. When you put all the nuts/bolts whatever in a bag and label it, I staple it to the wall, in order that I took it off. Keeps it out of the way, the bags don't get tossled around and rip. And would be especially good if you're taking a truck apart, and won't be putting it back together for a year. And if you do it in order, it'll help when it's 7 months later and you forgot what order you need to install a part if needed. Plus, it's garage art. :metal:

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z...C/IMG_0433.jpg

Ya it'll hold a bag full if you put a few staples in it.

Palf70Step 05-22-2012 07:46 PM

I like that idea. Now how do I staple to a metal wall? :lol:

MrSchaeferPants 05-22-2012 08:40 PM

Brad Nailer ;)

TennesseeZ 05-23-2012 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palf70Step (Post 5394986)
I like that idea. Now how do I staple to a metal wall? :lol:

flat magnets

butch86 05-23-2012 02:40 AM

i got aggrivated at tightening the hard to get to sparkplugh under header tubes. so i took an elcheapo 5/8th wrench and cut the box end and ground the inside sorta smooth and open enough to weld a deep well 5/8th 12 point socket in it. i cut the deep well 12 point socket where the groves stop inside . that way its just like the box end of the wrench but it is 2 inches deeper. make sure you look at the wrench and weld the socket to it at a slight angle. if you dont just heat it up and bend it a lil in the direction you need it going.

that wrench will come in super handy in more than just doing sparkplugs. i have one in 13/16,1/2, and 9/16 as well.

chevy_man5 05-23-2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butch86 (Post 5395744)
i got aggrivated at tightening the hard to get to sparkplugh under header tubes. so i took an elcheapo 5/8th wrench and cut the box end and ground the inside sorta smooth and open enough to weld a deep well 5/8th 12 point socket in it. i cut the deep well 12 point socket where the groves stop inside . that way its just like the box end of the wrench but it is 2 inches deeper. make sure you look at the wrench and weld the socket to it at a slight angle. if you dont just heat it up and bend it a lil in the direction you need it going.

that wrench will come in super handy in more than just doing sparkplugs. i have one in 13/16,1/2, and 9/16 as well.

Sounds like a great idea, can you post a picture or two of it?

butch86 05-23-2012 10:09 AM

yeah i will shoot a pic or two tonight. everyone that i raced with that has seen it has built one

RenoKeene 05-25-2012 01:31 PM

Very interesting stuff here....

flashed 05-25-2012 04:00 PM

If like me ,you have carpenter bees boring holes everywhere in the exposed wood on your shop take a can of brake cleaner with the small tube inserted into the nozzle and spray into every hole you can find and they will fall out pretty quick. Wasp spray works too but its a lot more messy .

chevy_man5 05-25-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butch86 (Post 5396028)
yeah i will shoot a pic or two tonight. everyone that i raced with that has seen it has built one

Hey Butch86, don't think you can promise us pictures, then back out!! I'm pretty sure that is against the rules around here. LOL