The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   1970 One Owner Short Step (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=617630)

Ta2edjr 12-04-2015 12:20 AM

Re: 1970 One Owner Short Step

Just read through your entire build thread man this truck has came along way. You are very talented..what's your take on the gauges ben looking at the same ones for my 72 ls swap any pros or cons to them? They sure do look good

boynton 12-05-2015 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldgreen69 (Post 7350003)
Very nice work, truck looks great, and familiar....

Thank you and it does! I am fortunate to have a wife that supports my truck habit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepOceanStepside (Post 7351099)
truck looks awesome!!!

Thank you.

boynton 12-05-2015 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2edjr (Post 7398013)
Just read through your entire build thread man this truck has came along way. You are very talented..what's your take on the gauges ben looking at the same ones for my 72 ls swap any pros or cons to them? They sure do look good

I ended up running dual senders for everything because the gauges are designed to read the old style/volt ranges. The cluster comes with all new senders and then I bought a brass adapter pack to convert the ls threads to the npt threads. Everyone that sees them is very impressed with them since they match the color of the truck. The only cons I have seen is they are a little slow to respond when I accelerate hard (I have not had digital gauges before so I am not sure if this is normal or not), I had to make my own plug because they just come with bare wires hanging off of the back, and the build quality is a little lower but I have not had any issues. Again I haven't owned a high end set-dakota digital, so I don't have am to compare them to. They look great sitting in the truck and I haven't had any glitches yet other than the slow response. Let me know if you have any other questions!

boynton 02-20-2016 07:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Time for our first oil change since I finished the build. Does anyone have recommendations for performance brake pads? I am running 71/2 disc set up in the front and I am seeing a lot of brake dust. I don't really have any issues stopping but a ton of dust.

rgunlock 02-21-2016 12:20 PM

Looking sharp! Glad to see your getting some miles on it.

boynton 02-22-2016 04:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rgunlock (Post 7493995)
Looking sharp! Glad to see your getting some miles on it.

Thanks i am really enjoying it. My dog decided to help me work today (finishing some electrical stuff). He thinks he is a 5 lbs lap dog.

Low Elco 02-22-2016 01:14 PM

Quietstops get em at oreilly

nate68 02-22-2016 07:21 PM

What size wheels and tires?

boynton 03-01-2016 03:01 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 7495286)
Quietstops get em at oreilly

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by nate68 (Post 7495671)
What size wheels and tires?

boynton 03-07-2016 11:37 AM

Headed to good guys this weekend. If anyone is going to be there let me know! I would love to meet up and see some trucks in person.

boynton 05-04-2016 10:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I finally got my 8 364 emblems in. I also sent my wheels off to get them polished since I bought a used set when I built this truck. They look almost new now! I will try to get some more pictures in the am.

mcbassin 05-05-2016 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boynton (Post 7582994)
I finally got my 8 364 emblems in. I also sent my wheels off to get them polished since I bought a used set when I buoy this truck. They look almost new now! I will try to get some more pictures in the am.

Nice emblems! where did you have those made? Very cool :metal:

boynton 05-05-2016 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 7583232)
Nice emblems! where did you have those made? Very cool :metal:

A guy on the forum named Shortie if you search billet emblems, it should come up. He can make anything you want, just don't get in a rush.

Ol Blue K20 05-05-2016 10:40 AM

The emblems look great.

boynton 05-19-2016 10:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 7583308)
The emblems look great.

Thank you sir, I didn't do much other than polish them and bolt them up.

I have been working on building a fan shroud out of aluminum the last couple of weeks. My buddy owns an a/c shop and has all kinds of metal tools for producing air ducts. He can build anything! I will get better pictures when I get the fan mounted and the plastic wrap off. I wasn't able to work on it much this week but I should finish it the first of next week. Next he is going to help me build an engine cover. :metal::metal:

SKT 06-19-2016 09:59 AM

Great job w/ this build - came a long way and looks awesome!

boynton 06-19-2016 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKT (Post 7629187)

Great job w/ this build - came a long way and looks awesome!

Thanks!! it has been a great journey.

boynton 10-04-2016 01:33 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I haven't made much progress on my fan shroud because I have been working on my dad's truck and doing a 5.3 swap in another truck but hopefully I will get back to mine soon.

I took a break this weekend and went to the goodguys show at Texas Motor Speedway in Ft Worth last weekend. it was a blast and super busy on Saturday. I got to see a few board members trucks as well as run into a few old friends.

the first picture is my dad's '71 my 70 and Chad's (Cashed) '70.

the next picture is mcbassin's '69. I am also shopping around for paint colors for my next build ('72 K5 Blazer) so that is what the other two are for.

boynton 10-04-2016 01:47 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I also got to see (not meet) David Kindig. he was there with two of his builds. they were very nice cars but it surprised me to see a few things about them. I noticed after they build the motor, they hung the starter on it with everything that wasn't going to be shiney and shot the whole thing. it really surprised me they didn't paint each component separately. I'm pretty sure I saw some paint staying to flake off of the plastic intake. don't get me wrong they are still very very nice cars. nice gaps good materials high quality parts ect.

boynton 10-04-2016 01:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
it was a really fun weekend. I parked on Sunday and left to look around. when I returned, I found a really nice '70 camaro parked right behind me.

on the way home I rolled over 5,000 miles on the odometer (don't worry I all alone on the highway when I took this).

I highly recommend goodguys if you have one in your area.

Ol Blue K20 10-04-2016 08:06 AM

Great to see you had fun. Jocko posted a thread and has a pic of your truck. You should get on and claim your truck. Its on 67-72 message board.

mcbassin 10-04-2016 09:44 AM

Awesome pictures Boynton! I wish I could have met up with you and talked trucks. I need to get your cell number next time. I did meet several forum members out there. It was a great time.

Congrats on the 5K mark, I rolled 4000 mile mark on my truck on the way down. These old trucks are so fun to drive out on the open road.

boynton 10-04-2016 05:42 PM

thanks mcbassin. we will cross paths one day. your truck looked really good.

boynton 02-06-2017 09:16 PM

I had a few questions about my digital gauge cluster and thought they may help others that are trying to use them.

Originally Posted by T-MAC
I was reading through a post about the digital dash from LMC (Intellitronix). Did you use this for an LS swap?

Yes it is paired with a 2009 LY6 6.0 I bought one of these a few years ago and just now getting around to hooking it up. It is for an LS motor. If you don't mind, I had a couple questions/comments as their tech people weren't much help.

It seems the temp can't use the PMC feed?

I ran two temp senders, the stock 09 in stock location and the '70 style sweep in the passenger head (it is already drilled just need an adapter)

What exactly does the parking light input require? Is just a 12v presents when the parking light are on so it dims the dash?

Yes it dims to 50%

The tach doesn't read tens and one positions, always 00 at the end. Turns out, that is how it works. Kind of crappy there if you ask me.

Ya it doesn't bother me as I have an areoforce gauge that reads everything off of the obd II to a single digit, but I agree it shouldn't have taken much more effort.

Fuel gauge doesn't seem to work, but also haven't had a chance to trouble shoot that.

I ran a stock sweep since that is what the cluster is programmed for (I think 0-90 ohm) you can pick up a decent one for about $30-50 but you get what you pay for (spend the money)

Over all, besides the Tach and I get the Temp to read, I guess this thing is ok, but I see LMC isn't carrying them anymore. My guess is these has issues and the manufactures tech support isn't much help.

Yes they weren't much help. if it were not for my buddy at DBRODS in Taylor, TX I would have been up a creek without a paddle.

Thanks for any input.

Tracy

boynton 08-14-2017 12:07 AM

So I'm reaching out because I don't know where to look next. I'm having issues with my a/c. I'm using the stock gm compressor with a vintage a/c setup. My system is still pressurized with freon the clutch is working the way it should on the compressor and my Guatemalan says the system has the correct about of freon in it. The heater shutoff works properly so no hot water in the heater core but no cold air. Any ideas? My lines aren't getting cold or sweating under the hood. I'm guessing the compressor went bad and just isn't cycling the freon or compressing it? Any thoughts or guesses will help. Thanks in advance. I have about 8k miles on the a/c setup. And the compressor was used and now has a total of around 30k miles on it.