The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Porterbuilt Dropmember (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=564415)

Rochlow 11-21-2013 11:47 AM

Re: Porterbuilt Dropmember

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porterbuilt Street Rods (Post 6378362)
You referring to this guy? If so, it's close.

Great! Another piece I have to save my pennies for!!! :metal:

72BlckButy 11-21-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porterbuilt Street Rods (Post 6378998)
The second pic...

That's a cool project!

gringoloco 11-23-2013 06:55 PM

Liking the new design, too. There's some cool trucks in this thread, wish one of them was mine... ;)

classicchev 11-23-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porterbuilt Street Rods (Post 6378362)
You referring to this guy? If so, it's close.

Any chance of getting one by the 2nd or 3 week of December, no trading arm crossmember though??

SCOTI 11-29-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porterbuilt Street Rods (Post 5882428)
Dropmember front and Rear systems for 47-55 First Series.
We are currently prototyping the Extreme Front and Rear with Air and a coil-over version as well.
Hoping the trailing arms will work on both versions out back.... not quite there yet.

They will be C10 based in regards to spindles and brakes. They will be similar to our 55-59 kits, but with a narrower trac-width.

Geeez Scoti... be specific with your questions next time! LOL

New question... and hopefully specific enough..... My buddy wanted to know if he'll be able to use 73-87 a-arms to help w/his initial build costs?

BigDaddyV 12-02-2013 09:33 AM

So when will the newest version of the dropmember be available. I'm planning on making my order after the first of the year. :)

PBFAB.COM 12-02-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicchev (Post 6384948)
Any chance of getting one by the 2nd or 3 week of December, no trading arm crossmember though??

I won't be able to make that happen.

PBFAB.COM 12-02-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 6393966)
New question... and hopefully specific enough..... My buddy wanted to know if he'll be able to use 73-87 a-arms to help w/his initial build costs?

The 47-55 First series kits will only work with PB arms.

PBFAB.COM 12-02-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDaddyV (Post 6397772)
So when will the newest version of the dropmember be available. I'm planning on making my order after the first of the year. :)

The "newest" version has been shipping for a few months already.

Nate

BigDaddyV 12-02-2013 10:21 AM

Awesome! I'll be getting my order in soon then! Thanks Nate!

SCOTI 12-02-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porterbuilt Street Rods (Post 6397803)
The 47-55 First series kits will only work with PB arms.

Dohhh..... What is the limiting factor? PB's arms are as nice as can be but OE stuff would get him going much cheaper which is what is driving his choices (he liked the fact that my DM bolted in & could utilize C10 components vs having to go MII or other aftermarket EVERYTHING).

classicchev 12-02-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porterbuilt Street Rods (Post 6397800)
I won't be able to make that happen.

Let me know when they are ready. Timing is not a problem as I'm playing with a 57 belaire with a little LS engine that I need to get done

PBFAB.COM 12-02-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 6398132)
Dohhh..... What is the limiting factor? PB's arms are as nice as can be but OE stuff would get him going much cheaper which is what is driving his choices (he liked the fact that my DM bolted in & could utilize C10 components vs having to go MII or other aftermarket EVERYTHING).

The arms we will be supplying with the kit are narrowed. The factory 73-87 C10 arms will fit, but will be too wide. It could be set up with them as a roller until funds would allow the addition of the PB arms, but possibly too wide to drive on and maintain adequate clearances.

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicchev (Post 6398139)
Let me know when they are ready. Timing is not a problem as I'm playing with a 57 belaire with a little LS engine that I need to get done

That sounds like fun! I will be doing a run of the inner structures the end of December/First of January and will be in touch before I start to discuss the game plan.

Nate

Joe Cool 12-11-2013 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porterbuilt Street Rods (Post 6378997)
It's the trans mount. Has to be adjustable for the different variations. I will post more pics in a week or two. I'm happy with how it turned out.

Here's a couple pics of a C10 running some Porterbuilt goodies. It's being built in Colorado by Big Willies Garage.

I know no question is supposed to be stupid.....with all the fab you do to the front and rear why not just build and entire frame the way you want it and be done with it......I am not sure about all your premium parts for the front middle and rear cost......

Help clarify this for me because I used to do the marketing for a very innovative drag racing shop and we just started building the entire front end and sub frame as one piece

The same reason Detroit Speed does it. I have an interest in the 2nd gen truck...just trying to understand the whole thing

Thanks Joe

SCOTI 12-11-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Cool (Post 6412463)
I know no question is supposed to be stupid.....with all the fab you do to the front and rear why not just build and entire frame the way you want it and be done with it......I am not sure about all your premium parts for the front middle and rear cost......

Help clarify this for me because I used to do the marketing for a very innovative drag racing shop and we just started building the entire front end and sub frame as one piece

The same reason Detroit Speed does it. I have an interest in the 2nd gen truck...just trying to understand the whole thing

Thanks Joe

I would say it's 'cost' related. Lots more guys can afford to piece something together when the funds allow & be able to enjoy their truck while doing so vs the few that could pop for an entire frame @ once.

PBFAB.COM 12-11-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Cool (Post 6412463)

Thanks Joe

Joe-

I have been trying to think of the simplest way to explain it and all I can come up with is "Because People Buy It".

By the time you purchase our entire package for the C10 factory chassis you are well under the cost of a replacement chassis with comparable benefits/results. And the nice thing about it.... you can purchase it in stages. Lots easier on the wallet... and the marriage! LOL

We have plans to implement full chassis into our product line as well.... but from our experience, the majority of truck enthusiasts don't have or want to allocate the budget required for a full chassis and swap.

Nate

Joe Cool 12-11-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porterbuilt Street Rods (Post 6412800)
Joe-

I have been trying to think of the simplest way to explain it and all I can come up with is "Because People Buy It".

By the time you purchase our entire package for the C10 factory chassis you are well under the cost of a replacement chassis with comparable benefits/results. And the nice thing about it.... you can purchase it in stages. Lots easier on the wallet... and the marriage! LOL

We have plans to implement full chassis into our product line as well.... but from our experience, the majority of truck enthusiasts don't have or want to allocate the budget required for a full chassis and swap.

Nate

Thanks Nate......I assumed that but did not want to assume to much!

So all the good pieces that PB sells.......what will you have invested for example comparing it with an Art Morrison Chassis or something like that.

Thanks Joe

PBFAB.COM 12-11-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Cool (Post 6412869)
Thanks Nate......I assumed that but did not want to assume to much!

So all the good pieces that PB sells.......what will you have invested for example comparing it with an Art Morrison Chassis or something like that.

Thanks Joe

It's hard to get an exact comparison as there are lots of options... but lets give it a try:

Last Art Morrison chassis we ordered was $15gs.

You can do ALL our components (the only factory frame components maintained are the rails) with CPP 13" brakes front and rear for less than $7700. Or if you went to the big 14" 6 piston Wilwood brake kit you are still under $10gs.

I will not argue some of the benefits/cool factor a full replacement chassis offers, but it's really easy to argue the cost vs. results. If it's in the budget I am all for it... but if somebody is looking to maximize their dollars and build a killer truck on a practical budget it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense.

Good thing is there are lots of ways to do it, and lots of companies making parts for these trucks now. To each his own. ;)

Nate

Joe Cool 12-11-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porterbuilt Street Rods (Post 6412891)
It's hard to get an exact comparison as there are lots of options... but lets give it a try:

Last Art Morrison chassis we ordered was $15gs.

You can do ALL our components (the only factory frame components maintained are the rails) with CPP 13" brakes front and rear for less than $7700. Or if you went to the big 14" 6 piston Wilwood brake kit you are still under $10gs.

I will not argue some of the benefits/cool factor a full replacement chassis offers, but it's really easy to argue the cost vs. results. If it's in the budget I am all for it... but if somebody is looking to maximize their dollars and build a killer truck on a practical budget it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense.

Good thing is there are lots of ways to do it, and lots of companies making parts for these trucks now. To each his own. ;)

Nate

Is that all your stuff?

Joe Cool 12-11-2013 12:08 PM

is that your frame stiffener
your dropped front cross member
and your rear mods?

PBFAB.COM 12-11-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Cool (Post 6412937)
Is that all your stuff?

Maybe I should have made the "ALL" our stuff in bold! LOL

That's EVERYTHING in regards to suspension that we make, that bolts onto the existing factory rails (even including the new inner frame stiffener that we aren't selling yet). This is current pricing as of 12/11/2013.

You can always shoot us an email for a quote and compare it with what you get from Art Morrison.

Nate

Joe Cool 12-11-2013 12:19 PM

yea now I understand and then there is the labor.........

So If I had a 67-72 frame ( not sure if all years are the same) and it probably does not matter much if its a long bed or short bed frame?

Say I soda blasted a frame and had you install everything in your shop since I am not a fabricator and I would rather have you do it since you have probably done hundreds.......( like a surgeon in a hospital....I want the one who has done hundreds of the same operation)

what would it cost........your labor?

and how many man hours for a normal chassis shop to complete who has never done this particular frame mod?

These are all things going in to counting cost....

I am not sure if its more cost effective to have you do it and ship the entire frame or buy the parts and have one of the local yocals do it...but I worry about finding the right guy
I used to work in a chassis shop so I understand issues.....I was not the fabricator but the marketing guy

Joe Cool 12-11-2013 12:24 PM

And oh yes...........thanks for being patient and answering my questions.......much appreciated.:metal:

PBFAB.COM 12-11-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Cool (Post 6412972)
And oh yes...........thanks for being patient and answering my questions.......much appreciated.:metal:

Joe-

I grew up with all sisters, and have been married to the same woman for the past 13 years.... I am a pretty patient dude! LOL

There are always variables, and we charge by the hour. The nice thing about the suspension side is that we bid the work on the suspension component install. Sheetmetal work is another story. We provide an estimate on those mods, and we bill time and materials there.

If you are really interested in a quote, shoot us an email and we will get back to you with a bunch of questions and in the end some pricing. :)

If you brought us bare frame rails here is the process:

We do a thorough inspection of your frame to ensure it is a good base. We then do a mock up assembly of all our components. We then disassemble the chassis, have it all powder coated and then install it all for the final time (if that's what you want done).

We bid the work according to the amount of time we will have into the project. So depending on the scope of what would need to be done, the work is bid accordingly.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Nate

PBFAB.COM 12-21-2013 01:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If anybody on here hasn't come out of the closet yet and admitted they have been hiding a secret love for Ford trucks.... This might push you a little more:

Joe Cool 12-21-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porterbuilt Street Rods (Post 6428700)
If anybody on here hasn't come out of the closet yet and admitted they have been hiding a secret love for Ford trucks.... This might push you a little more:

Ok I will come out and admit to some ford affection....but before anybody slams me I will tell you why.............and I am about maybe....notice I said maybe...let Porterbuilt in on a secret that not too many people know about....here it is.

One of the coolest front ends in the world of fords comes from the police car family of a" Crown Vic"
I became friends with Arron from "Fast & Loud before he became famous...Arron do you still know me?

Here is what he let me in on even going to a junkyard and buying one

Anyway that "Crown Vic" front end is awesome.........all aluminum and loads of other goodies.....struts etc..........will take a licken and keep on ticken!

Those Crown Vic police cars have hit thousand of curbs at high speed and been flying thru the air for years without damage..............guess what?

They will bolt right into a Ford 150!

Now the secret is out!

Joe Cool 12-21-2013 02:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
who does not like this?

Joe Cool 12-21-2013 03:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here ya go..........

PBFAB.COM 12-21-2013 06:35 PM

Joe Cool-

Definitely not a secret. I even have one. :)

It does go into the Ford frame fairly easily. BUT... Try to get it to lay frame with a decent tire... Not happening without lots of work.

Ours will be a bit less economical than the crown Vic.... But it's a pretty straight forward install as well.

Just another option.

Nate

Rusbuilt 12-21-2013 06:47 PM

I'll admit I was a Ford guy long before I fell in love with the 67-72 Chevys. My family has always been Ford lovers. My first 2 vehicles were classic Fords. A 65 Mustang and a 76 F-100.

Joe Cool 12-21-2013 07:42 PM

[QUOTE=Porterbuilt Street Rods;6429081]Joe Cool-

It does go into the Ford frame fairly easily. BUT... Try to get it to lay frame with a decent tire... Not happening without lots of work.

Ours will be a bit less economical than the crown Vic.... But it's a pretty straight forward install as well.

Just another option.

Nate[/QUOTe

How far can you drop it......I would think you could step the frame and install it at any height?

lolife99 12-21-2013 07:48 PM

[quote=Joe Cool;6429161]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Porterbuilt Street Rods (Post 6429081)
Joe Cool-

How far can you drop it......I would think you could step the frame and install it at any height?

Great info here,... but maybe you should start a "Crown Vic crossmember" thread instead of high jacking the Dropmember thread.

PBFAB.COM 12-21-2013 08:14 PM

[quote=Joe Cool;6429161]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Porterbuilt Street Rods (Post 6429081)
Joe Cool-

Just another option.

Nate[/QUOTe

That's where the "lots of work" comes in.

Our clip is a bolt-in set up. 4 vertical cuts and 32 bolts later (20 of them in factory holes)... Laying frame with updated suspension geometry and truck spindles and brakes.

More pics next week.

Just another option.... ;)

Nate

ddubbs 12-21-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porterbuilt Street Rods (Post 6428700)

So what are you saying Nate!!!! Lol I actually drive a Ford everyday. Pretty much have a love for trucks no matter what make. Glad to see the new unibody dropmember. I have now added it to my list. Awesome work.

PBFAB.COM 12-21-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddubbs (Post 6429215)
So what are you saying Nate!!!! Lol I actually drive a Ford everyday. Pretty much have a love for trucks no matter what make. Glad to see the new unibody dropmember. I have now added it to my list. Awesome work.

I was actually using a tasteless metaphor.

It wasn't intended to be taken literal... I figured you "drove a ford" but didn't realize it was every day! LOL

Joe Cool 12-21-2013 11:18 PM

[quote=lolife99;6429171]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Cool (Post 6429161)

Great info here,... but maybe you should start a "Crown Vic crossmember" thread instead of high jacking the Dropmember thread.

Your right.........sorry

DREAMER1 12-21-2013 11:35 PM

Is it next week yet!? I'd like to get more info/pics of the frame stiffener as well.

broey 12-22-2013 12:17 AM

ill be impressed when I see a vw dropmember pan.

Riley64 12-22-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 82swb (Post 5945293)
Saw this truck in person at good guys on saturday!

I have a stupid question... I've noticed that with a dropmember in the front that the wheels lean in towards the engine compartment. Some trucks have the whee lean and some I have seen dont have it, but how do you drive with the wheels leaned inwards and how do you fix that if you want them straight up and down? I don't understand how they can turn or even drive like that? New to the dropmember scene and wanna install one on my "64 stepper so any info on this would greatly help me out!

Joe Cool 12-22-2013 01:40 PM

You can only get so much camber curve out of a spindle etc.......there has to be some compromise.

Its like building a racing engine. You have to decide where to build the 2000 rpm band you want to be in if say your racing..........7700 to 9600 is a good place to be if your racing. If you put that in your street car the engine will me lousy to drive.

If you build these cars to drive everyday you need to pick the spot you want to drive it at...Not all rides heights will give you close to zero camber....

Now thats my explanation.......might not be the clearest, but its what I perceive.