The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   1969 Chevy CST/10 comes home [Long-term project "OrangeCrush"] (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=223124)

LuckyHenriksen 04-24-2009 08:20 PM

Re: 1969 Chevy CST/10 comes home [Long-term project "OrangeCrush"]

"good tips" lol sounds like it could lead to trouble

texanidiot25 04-25-2009 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slik69 (Post 3275307)
Couple things. What's wrong with an OE chrome bumber. Just me.. but I would not use anything but chevy parts on my truck. Don't start getting desperate. Just save and buy what should go on there.

I want to still have a bumper hitch, and something that's easy to step on to get in and out of the bed when the tail gate is up. The rear bumper on these trucks don't look like they have any more top-surface than the fronts, making stepping in and out an interesting task, especially if things are wet. The 90s and late model dodge trucks have simple looking bumpers, with bumper hitches and trailer wiring hookups.

Not desperate, but I'm looking to keep some functionality, with style. Hate this bumper's looks, but like it's uses.

07SSSC 04-29-2009 10:27 PM

Figured I may as well follow your progress on this site, easier then on a certain other forum (69Chevy @ gmi;)) Lookin good, if you want a useable rear bumper don't get the stock styled one, not much to step on at all. Luckily I'm tall enough to just barely step over the bed rail into the bed of mine. Be cool if you could get a late model bumper to integrate like it were stock.

texanidiot25 04-29-2009 11:13 PM

Yeh GMi doesn't reliably update me about new posts :lol:

I also got a good look at the new dodge ram bumpers. Similar simple styling with out much bulk, AND it's shapped for dual tails out the back. That would certainly look sweet, I've liked the custom touch to make bumpers and roll pans fit to the tail pipes

http://image.motortrend.com/f/107951...+rear_view.jpg
http://image.sporttruck.com/f/106514...+rear_view.jpg

I've seen them with out the rear back up radar holes. And they look leaner in person. Just some trimming along the sides to clear the body maybe/

But that'd be $$$ :waah:

I'll have to save that for the summer though... Prom is raping my wallet at this moment. :lol:

MrBeast 05-02-2009 11:00 AM

Phillip, as per our discussion on my thread, with the NV4500, you could see a 27% reduction in RPM on the highway.
(Click the link for more)

Now as for your bumper, if I was after what you are after, I have an idea for a bumper for you that will achieve everything you are looking for.

Instead of having a step bumper across the whole rear of the truck, why not take a piece of 4" "C" channel, and cut it to length to fit between your bed sides and under the gate. Then in the center of it put a recess in for your license plate, and at the bottom of that recess, have a step that is as wide as the plate is, that is made of diamond plate, or a piece of plate with bed liner sprayed on it for traction. You could incorporate a receiver hitch into this setup as well, and have a sturdy hitch, that was low profile, with a nice step on your bumper, and to boot you could put a set of 6" oval LED backup lights on either side of it for some flare.

It would have style, and it would be functional. And because the whole damn thing is made out of pig iron, if some one slams into your rear end, there will be very minimal damage to your truck.

If I have the time later I will make you a AutoCad drawing that shows you what I am talking about.

texanidiot25 05-02-2009 11:38 AM

I'm not much into the boxed out steel, for lack of a better term, redneck bumpers. :lol: Want utility, and chrome style which is why I thought up the late model bumpers. If mounted right they can serve as a class 3 hitch, which is what I'll ever need.

Thanks for the NV4500 input. I'm thinking of total costs involved in my other thread in the general 67-72 area. I'll have to hit my local junk yards one weekend and dig around.

barthmonster 05-02-2009 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texanidiot25 (Post 3265267)
Indeed so.

Today, at the good ol' Domino's, the weather made the trips out into the country interesting. You know how previously mentioned some large puddles caused some interesting studders with the motor?

Try forging flooded roads with about 6" or so of water... I'd wager my front bumper was plowing threw the water (of course, on a lowered truck). Had to cross it back and forth 3 times, but the truck plugged on threw with out missing a beat after the 1st time. Just aim for the stripes on the other side and stay in the middle and it was all good!

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...Untitled1g.jpg

Also, 3 out of the 9 delivery runs gave awesome complements, and even had a crowd of power-out-age'd-people rooting for a little rev... :lol:

And, only used a half a tank. The truck certainly does a good job at taking everything and bringing in a few extra bucks delivery pizza. :metal:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...0/DSC00402.jpg

Next weekend, all new header gaskets to knock off the damn ticking

I know your young, but I couldn't hurt to slow up a little when driving through the water, eh ?? Bet it was fun though !!

Nice truck. Wish I could find a freshly-rebuilt motor for $750 for my project.

I'll be watching this one.

texanidiot25 05-02-2009 02:37 PM

I do go slow. Only the 1st crossing was a bit quick because I did not see it coming. Pitch black country road with no street lights.

barthmonster 05-02-2009 02:58 PM

Cool. Yes water and electricity don't mix. That includes starter bushings & alternators.

You've got me shopping for a powder-coating gun !! What if you have a valve-cover with dents ?? I thought I saw a 'metallic-primer' that could be powder-coated ? Anyone know where to get it ? A guy could fill the dents in the parts with 'all-metal' metallic bondo, then primer with a primer that will accept powder-coating. That's what I need !!

you know, a lot of perfectly good parts like air-cleaners & oil-pans have some dents in them...

texanidiot25 05-02-2009 03:03 PM

There is high-build primer power coats. Check out www.powderbuythepound.com

*Dylan 05-02-2009 03:12 PM

With all these fat tips you're making why aren't we seeing some progress?!?!

texanidiot25 05-02-2009 03:25 PM

Paying back insurance (40 left on that), and paying off my tires (200 on that). And then Prom...

Trust me, I want to get some stuff done!

*Dylan 05-02-2009 03:30 PM

I'm in the same boat with prom and insurance, thinking of getting some new bigger tires for the rear as well, but these only have like 5 miles on them lol. I just got the truck lowered and got to drive it, it rides great! Check it out! http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=341441

texanidiot25 05-02-2009 03:31 PM

Hit up a local tires shop and see about trading tires ;)

*Dylan 05-02-2009 03:36 PM

Didn't even know you could trade tires, I'll definitely look into it then!

texanidiot25 05-02-2009 03:46 PM

Some shops will discount it. I'm not talking a major store like Discount Tire or NTB, but smaller local shops may.

Just don't go truck tires like i did. They look a bit off-roady. Though, I didn't have much a choice, but sorta wish I had opted for 30x10.5 instead of 31" tall. But, it helps the freeway speeds. Just gives a hair too much rake for my tastes and you can see the rear axle and suspension too easily for my tastes...

But I'm picky. Everyone else digs it.

For you, I'd go with what my truck had originally, the 265/70/15s. Not too tall, but the width looks nice and fat. About the same width as these.

*Dylan 05-02-2009 04:04 PM

Yeah, that's about the size I'm looking for, these on here right now are 215/70/15's and are stretched to fit the rim. Not to safe so I'm looking for some larger tires.

bustininmyheavychevy 06-12-2009 01:28 AM

i must say you got a clean truck it looks veary nice

texanidiot25 06-14-2009 11:17 PM

Woot, Summit is fast. And I do highly recomend shopping summit before you buy straight from a company. Reason being, I run Doetsch nitrogen shocks. As explained before, front shocks went bad.. So, running on Doetsch's site, these shocks are like 40 or so a piece. Not that bad for shocks. A member on the Chevy forum for my trucks gave me a part # for summit, and told me they were the same thing. I'm thinking "same thing, made by a third party?". But for 30/ shock, can't complain.

Turns out... It's the exact same shock, made by the same company. :lol: the sticker is worth 10 bucks I guess. Plus summit provides all the mounting hardware and a frame stud to bolt it all in.

Yay for summit, got here in 2 days too.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...0/DSCN1087.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...0/DSCN1089.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...0/DSCN1092.jpg

Hopefully this wednesday I'll be driving out to see the donor truck. Have a trailer lined up for it, just need a tow rig. The CST10 is a candidate, if it weren't for the fuel bill.

mikajo39 06-14-2009 11:56 PM

Got to love summit! There just the best hands down

Aunt-Jemima 06-27-2009 09:46 PM

Nice build man. Its giving me a lot of ideas for my highschool build

texanidiot25 06-27-2009 10:17 PM

Right on, awesome! Good luck on yours dude.

Aunt-Jemima 06-27-2009 10:35 PM

Thanks man. We might have to meet up sometime i have a bunch of family around huston

VA72C10 08-29-2009 02:19 AM

You done any work on her recently?

texanidiot25 08-29-2009 10:12 AM

hopefully will be driving tomorrow to dallas to get a cab