The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   sprint_9's 72 C10 Project (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=589818)

sprint_9 05-06-2019 11:36 PM

Re: sprint_9's 72 C10 Project

2 Attachment(s)
Catching a little sun this past weekend while I prepped my box to be blasted. :metal:

cornerstone 05-06-2019 11:44 PM

Blasted?..... Do you mean sprayed? Is the new short box is coated in EDP or did you already epoxy it?

sprint_9 05-07-2019 01:46 PM

Blasting to get rid of the e-coat.

cornerstone 05-08-2019 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprint_9 (Post 8521275)
Blasting to get rid of the e-coat.

I guess I assumed that the e-coat could be painted over. What kind of blast media will you use? What will be the steps you take after blasting? Thanks in advance.
Brian

sprint_9 05-08-2019 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornerstone (Post 8521686)
I guess I assumed that the e-coat could be painted over. What kind of blast media will you use? What will be the steps you take after blasting? Thanks in advance.
Brian

You can paint over it when prepped properly, and its something I considered for a while. The problem is you dont know what's underneath it, how good it was applied, and if it has adhered good in all areas. From what I've read restoration e-coat is toward the lower end of the scale when it comes to overall quality. By getting rid of it and starting fresh I can eliminate any second guessing with something I didn't apply and will hopefully not have any problems for a long time.

For media my blaster uses really fine glass. After blasting it is cleaned a couple times, blown off a couple times and then gets 2 coats of epoxy. I'm doing all of that with everything apart and then assembling and starting bodywork.

bmxbang 05-08-2019 03:57 PM

just here to say love the build, and love that color :metal:

sprint_9 05-09-2019 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmxbang (Post 8522029)
just here to say love the build, and love that color :metal:

Thank you.

Fw190d9 05-19-2019 01:12 AM

Great work on the truck so far! Your spray gun skills are showing big time!
Where did you get those rubber wire conduits for your doors?
Thanks
Evan Q.

sprint_9 05-19-2019 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fw190d9 (Post 8528031)
Great work on the truck so far! Your spray gun skills are showing big time!
Where did you get those rubber wire conduits for your doors?
Thanks
Evan Q.

Thanks. Conduits came with my power window kit from Nu-relics. I think you can buy just the conduit from them but Im not sure.

sprint_9 05-19-2019 09:42 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Some progress from the weekend.

Had to get the hood out of the paint booth so we put it on the truck, I had hoped it would stay on but Im out of adjustment side to side on my hinges so Im going to take it back off and slot the holes some. I only need to gain a 1/16 to an 1/8th so hopefully not a big deal, otherwise I think it will line up pretty good.

With the hood out of the way I got both bedsides in epoxy and then spread some filler on the damaged areas and a bunch of spot welds. While doing filler work I sprayed epoxy on more of the box, it was quite a challenge spraying the cross sills but I got them pretty good I hope. I still need to spray the inner fenders, hopefully some night this week I can work them in.

halfstep 05-20-2019 10:23 AM

Crazy quality work!
Whose hood hinges are those? They look like a nice alternative to many of the more complex options.

sprint_9 05-20-2019 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halfstep (Post 8528656)
Crazy quality work!
Whose hood hinges are those? They look like a nice alternative to many of the more complex options.

Thank you.

Hood hinges are All American Billet. I really like them based on looks, and the little that Ive used them they operate nicely as well. Once modified slightly they should allow the hood to fit really nice from what Ive seen on some initial gap setting.

sprint_9 06-23-2019 09:41 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Been plugging away on my box, Im getting close to being done with body work. My plan is to assemble and paint in the coming days. Picture of one of the boxsides after filler and feather fill. This was sanded out with 120 and 180, I had a couple spots to fix, epoxy was spotted in and a little filler put on top of it. Once all that was done more epoxy went down to seal off the filler and 2k primer was blocked out with 180 and 320. I plan on going over everything with a hand pad and some 400 along with a red scuff pad before sealer.

I had one of my cousins machine my hood hinges, he slotted the mounting holes for the hood 6/32 on his mill. It worked great, my hood adjusted pretty good with the extra wiggle room.

When trying to come up with a game plan on painting my box assembled I coudnt really come up with something I liked that included the inner fenders installed. So I decided to paint them seperate and bolt on after the bedsides are painted. I finished them up a couple days ago, pretty happy how they turned out.

sprint_9 07-07-2019 09:30 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Over the last couple weeks I got quite a bit done. I assembled and then got base and one round of clear down on my box.

I was able to finally get my engine running, I had some issues with the ecm. Im not sure if the ecm was bad or the program wasnt right, but I ended up with a different ecm and now it runs. Ive been able to get it up to temp and run the transmission through the gears on some jack stands, everything operates pretty good. I have alot of tuning to do though. Im going to try and get a decent video of it running.

I was able to get my No Limit rear sway bar installed, it was all beat up from shipping so I re coated it with some epoxy.

I have been working on my bed wood off and on during the week. I coated the bottoms and sides with epoxy, and stained the tops black. Im planing on a couple coats of flattened clear on them yet, but so far they are turning out great.

I finally decided this last weekend to flow coat my box. I sanded and scuffed everything on it and gave it 3 more coats of clear. The end result was much better this time around with it. Things look so much better flow coated. I cant recommend SPI products enough, the fact that I can achieve something like this says alot for their products.

TA_C10 07-07-2019 10:03 PM

The build looks great man. Keep up the good work!

:chevy:

gringoloco 07-08-2019 08:25 AM

Lookin really good! Paint doesn’t even look like it needs wet sanded. I like the black wood, what stain did you end up using?

MDPotter 07-08-2019 09:44 AM

Bed looks great! Can't wait to see the bed set on the truck and in the sun.

1971Stepside 07-08-2019 10:30 AM

Love this build. Mine will start and idle, but needs lot of tuning still. I'm not sure I could get it on a trailer at this point, but we will find out this fall.

sprint_9 07-08-2019 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 8554763)
The build looks great man. Keep up the good work!

:chevy:

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8554875)
Lookin really good! Paint doesn’t even look like it needs wet sanded. I like the black wood, what stain did you end up using?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDPotter (Post 8554913)
Bed looks great! Can't wait to see the bed set on the truck and in the sun.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1971Stepside (Post 8554952)
Love this build. Mine will start and idle, but needs lot of tuning still. I'm not sure I could get it on a trailer at this point, but we will find out this fall.

Thanks everyone.

For stain I used Speedball Black India Ink.

I know the feeling about poor running. When I first got mine going it wouldn't run with the MAF sensor hooked up and when shifted into gear would die, if you hit the throttle at all it would die. I eventually got it to start with the MAF sensor hooked up but it ran very poorly. I ended up changing a bunch of stuff in the tune and got it to idle decent, I think I ended up raising the MAF table 75% across the board. Im sure its still way off but at least its in the ball park now as it idles pretty decent and the fuel trims dont go way off. Im planning on upgrading my hptuners to the pro version and getting a wide band so I know where Im at before I do any driving.

Snake72 07-09-2019 11:56 AM

Unbelievable job man, bedsides look fantastic. Keep the updates coming!

sprint_9 07-09-2019 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake72 (Post 8555570)
Unbelievable job man, bedsides look fantastic. Keep the updates coming!

Thanks.

Snake72 07-10-2019 08:51 AM

Just re-read some of your earlier posts, are you in Iowa? Your truck before tear down was nearly identical to my '72, also an Iowa truck.

sprint_9 07-10-2019 11:04 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake72 (Post 8556073)
Just re-read some of your earlier posts, are you in Iowa? Your truck before tear down was nearly identical to my '72, also an Iowa truck.

Sure am.

I found some of my running problems. Cylinders 6 and 8 arent firing, its odd because I have no code and it doesnt really sound bad, maybe that cam I put in doesnt have quite this much chop :lol:. I have spark so I am guessing a its a fuel issue and most likely a dirty or stuck injector as they have been laying unused for a long time. Im planning on sending them all as a set to be cleaned.

I pushed my box outside to get a little sun before I buff it. I absolutely love this blue.

Figured I would post a couple pictures of my exhaust rework. I gained about 3/4 of an inch of clearance above my trailing arm. I should have plenty of clearance for bumps now.

MDPotter 07-11-2019 09:35 AM

That blue is a knockout in the sun, nice work. Every time I see a Grabber Blue Mustang I think of your truck.

What cam did you put in?

Chuck Pryce 07-11-2019 02:29 PM

Great build, thanks for bringing us along.