The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   1972 Build thread. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=728088)

Spf79 01-28-2024 04:49 AM

Re: 1972 Build thread.

4 Attachment(s)
Purchased a 12" slim subwoofer.
I'll build a box on the backside of the side panel. Here are a couple of examples I am looking at.

Spf79 02-05-2024 11:25 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Never enough time in the day.
I was able to set time aside to cut & buff my drivers door and get it bolted on. I'm still drinking with some gap issues. The door is to tight against the body at the jam. There doesn't seem to be any more forward adjustment. Seems odd. I also had to put three shims behind the striker plate on the jam... still catching the door latch funny. Doors are original to the Blazer.

At least the passenger side is done.

notsolo 02-05-2024 09:25 PM

3 Attachment(s)
You probably have these specs....several posts from "lks dcvn" on Blazer tub, shims and alignment. I don't remember exactly what I did but I had the hard top on, which is supposed to help. Good luck. The devil is in the details.....The measurements are in hundredths, I think, just to add another level of confusion.

Spf79 02-05-2024 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notsolo (Post 9283472)
You probably have these specs....several posts from "lks dcvn" on Blazer tub, shims and alignment. I don't remember exactly what I did but I had the hard top on, which is supposed to help. Good luck. The devil is in the details.....The measurements are in hundredths, I think, just to add another level of confusion.

Thank you for sharing these.
I have seen one of them, but not the others. Very helpful.
I'll do some measurements tonight. One small chip so far... sad face.

CanadianNascar 02-06-2024 05:39 PM

You may have to add shims in specific locations in your body mounts also, and definitely top bolted on, nice build eh. :metal:

Spf79 02-07-2024 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadianNascar (Post 9283832)
You may have to add shims in specific locations in your body mounts also, and definitely top bolted on, nice build eh. :metal:

Thank you! Yes, I have to pick some up this week.
I don't have a top, so I will have to do my best. :)

Spf79 02-07-2024 03:11 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I started fresh tonight, I had no patience after work yesterday.

The door gaps look better. I need to mess with the body mount shims before the front clip goes on.

My female dog ate one of my trim pieces... and I found a small velcro sanding block in my door.

I think I can spend days screwing with the gaps, they aren't perfect, but I'm not sure if I can ever consider them "perfect"... the whole process is maddening.

Spf79 02-07-2024 03:20 AM

4 Attachment(s)
More pics

Blazerowner 02-20-2024 01:31 AM

Your gaps look pretty good in my opinion. These trucks weren’t exactly perfect from the factory so gaps can be tough.

Spf79 03-18-2024 03:39 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I made some time this weekend and I am feeling pretty close on the side panels. Since I'm running a 12" sub I am making sure to secure the panels to the bed sides thoroughly.
I'm using 1/4-20 nut inserts, they are working well.

I am working on making a cap for the bed rail, similar to the gray interior. I can put some 1/4-20 t-nuts in the wood that will allow me to bolt through the 5/16-18 inserts captured iunder the bed rail. This should give me a nice hidden fastener look. I have to use some fancy flush mount machine screws for the side panels. I am using truck cab dome lights for courtesy lights in the back. This stuff takes forever, the loop carpeting does not like metal shavings from drilling

DeadheadNM 03-18-2024 08:29 AM

Good progress.

Is there a learning curve to installing nutserts or is that pretty straightforward? I need to add these on the roof of my 99 Suburban to install a rack system. Worried I'll bugger it up.

1970cstblazer 03-18-2024 10:14 AM

I installed a nutsert on my RH reproduction bedside on my 1970 Blazer to match the other side. The installation was a breeze. I had never done one before, but it looked exactly like the factory installed one on the drivers side. There are some Youtube videos going over the process/

Spf79 03-18-2024 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 9296751)
Good progress.

Is there a learning curve to installing nutserts or is that pretty straightforward? I need to add these on the roof of my 99 Suburban to install a rack system. Worried I'll bugger it up.

Thank you!
No Learning curve at all, and after seeing your level of work, I am sure you will be perfect the first time. :)

Get a nice step bit, and mark the step you want to stop at with a noticeable color. Stop one step below where you think you need to be, check fitment there. Once you get two or three in, you will be good to go. Maybe practice on a small piece of sheet metal if you are unsure. Once I watched a few videos I was brave enough to do it. :)

I hope it works out easy for you.

NDM 03-18-2024 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 9296751)
Good progress.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/4...o&ref_=ast_bln

I own two rivnut setting tools. The Y shaped one and the red drill setter tool. Both are great and easy.

Also the best way to remove a failed rivnut or stripped one is a simple countersink bit.

Important!!!!!! Do not use impact drivers on fasteners!!! Use hand tools. You will screw up a rivnut or two. Every time I am in a hurry and fail to follow this advice, I end up screwing up a rivnut or two.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/srzzPJFQGFI

Spf79 03-18-2024 11:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by NDM (Post 9296813)
https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/4...o&ref_=ast_bln

I own two rivnut setting tools. The Y shaped one and the red drill setter tool. Both are great and easy.

Also the best way to remove a failed rivnut or stripped one is a simple countersink bit.

Important!!!!!! Do not use impact drivers on fasteners!!! Use hand tools. You will screw up a rivnut or two. Every time I am in a hurry and fail to follow this advice, I end up screwing up a rivnut or two.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/srzzPJFQGFI

Great advise. 👍
I am using the Y style.

Spf79 03-18-2024 11:58 AM

5 Attachment(s)
More pictures that I forgot to add onto my earlier update.

More wiring than I thought there would be in there, it was a fair amount of finesse to make it fit around the speaker.

I added a small computer fan for the amps as well. I will run it on a switch. These amps are marine grade, and supposedly I can put them in an enclosed space. I added the fan for insurance.

I shaped a piece of cedar to fill in the gap on the bed rail.

Fingers crossed it all works.

Spf79 03-18-2024 12:03 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Getting closer.

Takes forever. Lol.

DeadheadNM 03-20-2024 09:22 AM

Thanks for the good words and the advice guys. You’ve emboldened me :)

Done before summer?

NDM 03-20-2024 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spf79 (Post 9296822)
Getting closer.

Takes forever. Lol.

Hopefully you had a plan for this but you should make some sort of cover to go over those amps. My Blazer is not exactly a dry atmosphere and I know for certain that water will get in the area where the amps are mounted.
Second, hopefully you have not screwed the amp chassis into the factory metal. It is best to isolate the amp chassis from direct contact with the vehicle chassis. You can get noise in the signal and in one instance in 2006, I had damage to some JL Audio amps when stray voltage killed a couple amps slowly. Once I isolated the metal amp rack from the actual car metal, the replacement amps were fine and the noise in the audio was gone. I still own those amps today.

In order to isolate the amp from the chassis you can mount a wooden board to the truck and mount the amps to the board. Easy peasey!!

Spf79 03-20-2024 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NDM (Post 9297278)
Hopefully you had a plan for this but you should make some sort of cover to go over those amps. My Blazer is not exactly a dry atmosphere and I know for certain that water will get in the area where the amps are mounted.
Second, hopefully you have not screwed the amp chassis into the factory metal. It is best to isolate the amp chassis from direct contact with the vehicle chassis. You can get noise in the signal and in one instance in 2006, I had damage to some JL Audio amps when stray voltage killed a couple amps slowly. Once I isolated the metal amp rack from the actual car metal, the replacement amps were fine and the noise in the audio was gone. I still own those amps today.

In order to isolate the amp from the chassis you can mount a wooden board to the truck and mount the amps to the board. Easy peasey!!

This is why I love this site.
I appreciate the insight. I'm new to stereo installation. I will address this asap. Thank you!!

NDM 03-20-2024 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spf79 (Post 9297288)
This is why I love this site.
I appreciate the insight. I'm new to stereo installation. I will address this asap. Thank you!!

I was a Pro in the Car audio industry for years and now I am a major hobbyist. I will help whenever I can.

Spf79 03-21-2024 01:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 9297254)
Thanks for the good words and the advice guys. You’ve emboldened me :)

Done before summer?

Yes sir, this is the goal. Wrap up the stereo wiring, install the front clip, bleed brakes, exhaust... add all of the fluids, install plug wires and a few misc items in the engine bay. Not much to do besides those items.

I hope I am breaking everything in smoothly this summer... probably need to renew my triple A. Lol.

7D2N 03-21-2024 07:51 PM

Looks awesome, I really like the sandal interior. I can't wait untill my finish list is that short.

Spf79 03-21-2024 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7D2N (Post 9297628)
Looks awesome, I really like the sandal interior. I can't wait untill my finish list is that short.

Thanks buddy, appreciate it!

7D2N 05-24-2024 11:47 AM

Just checking to see if you have wore the tires out yet. The paint is awesome, are you worried about the paint chipping at the rocker area when it's finished and your driving it.

7D2N