The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   4x4 Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Project: Custom 71 4x4 hotrod (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=376295)

freakshow108 04-09-2012 11:38 PM

Re: Project: Custom 71 4x4 hotrod

Nice set up on that flare kit, what is the chance you could take a vacation and bring those to Washington, I'll give you the tour after we finish my brake lines:lol:. Looking good brother!:metal:
Posted via Mobile Device

Dieselwrencher 04-10-2012 02:43 AM

That hydraulic flare kit looks just like my matco one! I love it and I'm sure you will too. A lot of people complain about the price of them until you let them use it. Then you can't get them to leave it alone! :lol: Keep at it man!

Mr-Jack 05-24-2012 12:47 AM

nice looking build...did you paint the acorn washers while they were in the steering arm or seperately...just asking cause they are a PITA to get out as it is. i p*$sy footed around the steering arm at first with no success, then just got angry and smacked it hard one time and popped them out LOL. i would hate to try and pop them out if they were painted.

Conroe trucker 07-14-2012 10:09 PM

Need some more pics of the whole rig.
Been a year since I was on, afraid you might have finished it.......

quadzero 07-15-2012 02:07 AM

Fantastic project, I really enjoyed going through all of this. The drum to disc brake conversion was of special interest to me also. Heck of a job you are doing here. Keep up the great work, Mr Surfer.

silver7 07-30-2012 07:32 PM

Thanks for the comments guys. Unfortunately not a lot of progress although I did finally get my transfer case painted. Will throw up some photos when I get a chance. Just finished baseball coaching and about to start football coaching. Plan to let a guy build my transfer case and get my cab and bed blasted/primed within the next month.

CTENTA1 08-23-2012 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver7 (Post 5298955)
Wow -just noticed how long it has been since I posted. :confused: My 10 year old son is playing baseball and AAU basketball at the same time, not to mention I am one of his baseball coaches. Also been traveling a lot for work so time has been limited lately. But I am still as excited as ever to get this thing completed.

I have been doing some work these last couple of months such as cleaning cleaning my transfer case and transmission for paint, purchasing a mint Mastercool Hydraulic brake line flaring kit off Craigslist ($240). Also purchased some custom parts from Offroad Design (extended front braided stainless and Kevlar brake lines) and Inline Tube since the kit I bought needed modifications. Yesterday I finished plumbing my brake lines, minus the master cylinder of course. Used a cut off wheel to cut the lines, a drill to clean the lines out, sandpaper to prep the end, Mastercool hydraulic kit to double 45 degree flare my lines, and a little contraption I bought on Ebay to bend my lines. I am happy with how it all turned out.

Not sure, but the front brake line to the front driver caliper looks odd. Something doesnt look right! It looks a little streched. If im not mistaken the end of the hose that mounts on the chassis should be mounted closer to the firewall on the chassis. And I believe the hose end on the caliper should face up instead of down. Someone correct me if im wrong...

swamp rat 08-24-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver7 (Post 3986148)
After a lot of time in the vise and hydraulic press I finally got the rest of my chassis parts apart and taken to the sandblaster today: front knuckles, tie rod, front 4x4 universal joint bracket, traction bar brackets, and leaf springs. Hopefully Nick and I can get these back, epoxy primered and painted with the frame and traction bars this weekend.

Taking the universal joints and leaf springs apart was an experience so I'll post some pics and more info on that later.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&postcount=150

Hey Silver or anybody else out there, per the picture in this post: If you need to replace ball joints do you need to pull this arm off the drivers side steering knuckle first? any special tools are needed? BFH and a chisel? Thanks!

mjensen 08-25-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp rat (Post 6237170)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&postcount=150

Hey Silver or anybody else out there, per the picture in this post: If you need to replace ball joints do you need to pull this arm off the drivers side steering knuckle first? any special tools are needed? BFH and a chisel? Thanks!

To replace the ball joints, this arm does not need to come off. If you ever need to take it off, there is an awesome trick to use a socket placed over those cone washers and smack it with a bfh a few times. The shock will cause the cone washers to pop right out of the seat. I had to remove mine because I needed to replace it with a raised one for my lift.

swamp rat 08-25-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjensen (Post 6237646)
To replace the ball joints, this arm does not need to come off. If you ever need to take it off, there is an awesome trick to use a socket placed over those cone washers and smack it with a bfh a few times. The shock will cause the cone washers to pop right out of the seat. I had to remove mine because I needed to replace it with a raised one for my lift.

I cant thank you enough for that, i totally forgot about the cone washers, i would have been fighting that one, my lift was installed about '94 i think. I bought a drag link puller today in case i need it, but now i may not. I thought about it, being as i want to paint everything and i figure it will be easier to use my stand up press over the ball joint press i decided i want to remove it anyway. :)