The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=563833)

Vic1947 10-18-2013 07:18 PM

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeen (Post 6322311)
I'm a little surprised you didn't cut off the outter lip of the plastic assembly and mill a new trim piece out of aluminum with a center seperation strip to cover up the spit in the lense.
It's not too late to do it! :devil:

I do plan to mill a thin aluminum T-strip to go in the gap between the lenses, however, sanding and painting the outer lip will have to do. I guess I could shoot some rattle can aluminum on it.
But probably not. ;)

Xeen 10-18-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic1947 (Post 6322322)
I do plan to mill a thin aluminum T-strip to go in the gap between the lenses, however, sanding and painting the outer lip will have to do. I guess I could shoot some rattle can aluminum on it.
But probably not. ;)

LOL! Yeah I hear ya, as if you don't have enough stuff to fabricate, adding an aluminum trim bezel into the workload probably isn't very appealing no matter how nice it would look.

Low Elco 10-18-2013 08:56 PM

Now you're just yankin' him, Brian! Please continue. Muahaha!

Low Elco 10-18-2013 08:59 PM

Them shocks flat work, don't they? Big improvement. I may take you up on making some coins, man that'd make life easier!

mcbassin 10-18-2013 09:02 PM

Very nice progress on the cowl. I have a set of those same type punches somewhere. I used them mostly for cutting plastic shim stock in my former life as a toolmaker. I need to see if I can find them. Haven't used them in 10+ years

Xeen 10-18-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6322471)
Now you're just yankin' him, Brian! Please continue. Muahaha!

ROFL! I just can't help myself.
The thing is I always have big ideas and Vic just happens to have the skills to make it a reality so I figure why not toss it out there into the Vicverse and see what happens. :devil:
His idea to sand and paint the plastic bezel will look good too.

Low Elco 10-19-2013 07:46 AM

I know, Vic oughta open up a home for wayward dirtbag hotrodders. My wife would drop me of and leave me. I was lookin' at Tennsmith brakes yesterday just because I had so much fun playing with Vic's! He's a bad influence!

snipescastle2 10-19-2013 08:11 AM

Vic,
I know you just put some thermal heat barrier on your inner roof, but I have some "Industrial" insulation you might think about placing on top of that.....
it's about 1/2" thick and is like a heavy fiberglass mat, we use it for insulating blankets on steam pipes,etc.....let me know if you would like a small sheet of it.....
Have a good one!
Ben

Xeen 10-19-2013 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6322901)
I know, Vic oughta open up a home for wayward dirtbag hotrodders. My wife would drop me of and leave me. I was lookin' at Tennsmith brakes yesterday just because I had so much fun playing with Vic's! He's a bad influence!

Vic has always helped me in any way he can, he is very knowledgable and highly skilled.
I dunno about the dirtbag part though I'm not sure I understand the sentiment but I don't want to put too fine a point on it, I'm sure you will occasionaly run into an unsavory person or two but I have met a lot of good people on the board so far.
I will agree with you that people like Vic with all his knowledge and skill have a tendancy to attract a hotrodder or two.

Vic1947 10-19-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6322901)

Every once in a while my wife gets this look on her face that makes me think there's already one too many hotrodders in this house.

Vic1947 10-19-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snipescastle2 (Post 6322917)
Vic,
I know you just put some thermal heat barrier on your inner roof, but I have some "Industrial" insulation you might think about placing on top of that.....
it's about 1/2" thick and is like a heavy fiberglass mat, we use it for insulating blankets on steam pipes,etc.....let me know if you would like a small sheet of it.....
Have a good one!
Ben

Thanks for the offer, Ben, but I'll be gluing a headliner up there anyway, so adding more insulation is probably overkill. I'm hoping to install the roof Monday.:hot:

Low Elco 10-19-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeen (Post 6322930)
Vic has always helped me in any way he can, he is very knowledgable and highly skilled.
I dunno about the dirtbag part though I'm not sure I understand the sentiment but I don't want to put too fine a point on it, I'm sure you will occasionaly run into an unsavory person or two but I have met a lot of good people on the board so far.
I will agree with you that people like Vic with all his knowledge and skill have a tendancy to attract a hotrodder or two.

Vic is a fantastic guy who has been more than gracious in helping both me and my dad on several occasions. I meant no aspersion whatsoever. Believe it, I put myself at the head of the dirtbag hotrodder line. Perhaps a hotrodder day camp? Because if there's gonna be a field trip to Southpaw, I'm first on the bus! That guy's got skills!

Low Elco 10-19-2013 12:29 PM

Woo Woo! Roof install! I wanna see details on the dent work in the cab back, and pick up some pointers. That was a PITA on Yeller, but a good learning experience.

Low Elco 10-19-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic1947 (Post 6322973)
Every once in a while my wife gets this look on her face that makes me think there's already one too many hotrodders in this house.

Boys, there's your Sig Line, right there.

Vic1947 10-20-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6323156)
Perhaps a hotrodder day camp? Because if there's gonna be a field trip to Southpaw, I'm first on the bus! That guy's got skills!

Amen to that! Maybe we can do a day trip down there this winter when it's too crappy outside to do much else.

Vic1947 10-20-2013 06:42 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I had every intention of gluing the roof on this weekend, even to the point I made a special trip to pick up the 3M applicator gun. Was not to be. After fishing the wires up thru the A-pillar, it dawned on me I'd neglected to order the a/v cable that feeds live or stored video to the 7" touchscreen I'll be installing in place of the original radio. Will see if they have one at Best Buy tonight, but if not, I'll order it from Amazon. When it arrives, I can continue on.

To fill the hole in the schedule, I worked on the map lights some more and got them fit into the opening to suit me. Also machined the little T-strip that fits in the gap between the lenses.

Vic1947 10-20-2013 06:48 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here's a closer look at the T-strip. Had to curve it slightly with the shrinker to get it to fit the lenses.

Had some time left, so I went ahead and windowed the radio grille and the dash where the new Pioneer stereo will reside. Made a plate to fit the grille but welding will be for another day.

Low Elco 10-21-2013 08:29 AM

You know this is gonna turn out cooler than the Streak, just less shiny to deal with. I'm just sayin. Please continue, this is great!

Xeen 10-21-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6325569)
You know this is gonna turn out cooler than the Streak, just less shiny to deal with. I'm just sayin. Please continue, this is great!

I agree and this one will be a strong candidate for TOTM when it's completed.

Vic1947 10-21-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6325569)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeen (Post 6325802)
I agree and this one will be a strong candidate for TOTM when it's completed.

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys ...lots of blood, sweat and tears yet to come, though.

Xeen 10-21-2013 05:30 PM

I never did like the way chevrolet did the ashtray it just looks crude, so I can't wait to see the center of the dash reworked it's going to be a monster improvement over stock.

mcbassin 10-21-2013 11:10 PM

Very nice work on the dash detail. Love all the creative mods you are making.

Vic1947 10-25-2013 11:29 AM

4 Attachment(s)
My brother is in town and we're in full-on home remodeling mode. Adding stairs down from the deck and other stuff Kathy has been wanting to get done. Long story short, haven't had much time to work on the truck, but I did get the 2DIN radio opening and bracket spotwelded in place. Also finished up the map lights. Still waiting on the cable I need to button up the roof. Hopefully it will be here today or tomorrow.

Xeen 10-25-2013 12:08 PM

That map light turned out great Vic!
Oh man I'm salivating over that Pioneer head unit it is going to look killer installed.

snipescastle2 10-25-2013 12:58 PM

Vic,
could you give me the dimensions of that Double Din stereo sleeve the head unit mounts into? I really like that idea as well. (not trying to steal your thunder, or anything like that:metal:) you da man! Great Work too!
Ben Smith