The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Squarebody Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   "Elwood" the 77_remix (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=738570)

tvblazer78 01-22-2018 12:17 PM

Re: "Elwood" the 77_remix

Ken, I guess I will have to start coming back on here just to see pics of the new build. Lol looks good sir..

aggie91 01-22-2018 12:46 PM

Nice updates. Looking forward to LST.

N2TRUX 01-22-2018 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 8167232)
looking great!

Thank you sir
Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie91 (Post 8167265)
Nice updates. Looking forward to LST.

It will be here way too soon.
Quote:

Originally Posted by tvblazer78 (Post 8167241)
Ken, I guess I will have to start coming back on here just to see pics of the new build. Lol looks good sir..

Travis I try to post updates on Instagram and Facebook. The forum is still the best location to share and discuss in depth.

jkk 01-23-2018 04:16 AM

Looks good..............don't know I would be able to start cutting up super clean stock sheet metal........... no going back to "stock" if the air bag deal runs it's course as other fads have done in the hobby.

Keep up the good work!!!

SCOTI 01-23-2018 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkk (Post 8167954)
Looks good..............don't know I would be able to start cutting up super clean stock sheet metal........... no going back to "stock" if the air bag deal runs it's course as other fads have done in the hobby.

Keep up the good work!!!

Air bags? Possibly.
A lowered truck? Very doubtful.... They've been around way too long to be called a 'fad'.

Even static dropped trucks can utilize the mods for a much more pleasant driving experience.

N2TRUX 01-23-2018 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkk (Post 8167954)
Looks good..............don't know I would be able to start cutting up super clean stock sheet metal........... no going back to "stock" if the air bag deal runs it's course as other fads have done in the hobby.Keep up the good work!!!

I understand your concern. I was apprehensive as well until I installed these on my last build. With the fender open like it is I was able to clean and coat the entire area with undercoating, so there is less chance of rust than with a stock fender. I thought about structural integrity as well. Theres no doubt it might be reduced with the cut. On the other hand the additional strength add by bolting in the replacement tub makes a much tighter package. I am anal, and I was satisfied enough to do this truck too.

Regarding the air suspension fad, I dont see it going away any time soon. As Scoti mentioned even if I replaced the air suspension with coil overs like I have on Scarlett, the fender liners would be the same. As much as I LOVE the exteriors appearence of a stock GM truck, I have no reservations about updating suspension and drivetrain.

N2TRUX 01-23-2018 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8168084)
Air bags? Possibly.
A lowered truck? Very doubtful.... They've been around way too long to be called a 'fad'. Even static dropped trucks can utilize the mods for a much more pleasant driving experience.

With the advancements and availability of coil over kits I have noted a shift from air suspension to adjustable spring suspension. Unfortunately the cost is a concern on any adjustable system so I imagine relatively inexpensive static drops will never loose their appeal. :metal:

PowerdbyChevy79 01-23-2018 02:32 PM

looking good Ken..your build threads give me motivation to get Lucy going.

N2TRUX 01-23-2018 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerdbyChevy79 (Post 8168293)
looking good Ken..your build threads give me motivation to get Lucy going.

Thats my intentions Ruben. :metal:

N2TRUX 01-24-2018 11:33 AM

7 Attachment(s)
I'm still chasing down brake line fittings, so I put that on hold for now. Instead I made more progress on the Slosh Tubz install. The drivers side is done, so I tackled the passenger side. Its a bit of a wrestling match to get them in place with out a spotter, but it can be done.

The cut on this side is a bit smaller this time. I spent time dressing the edges with a flapper disc so I can clean up inside the fender once I'm done with the mock up. I will protect the cuts and inside the fender with undercoating when finished.

I got the tub in place and drilled the two front holes. I used longer than stock bolts to hold them in place while working the perimeter holes. Mark the center hole and drill it out. Use a longer bolt again to align the liner. I have found if alternate front to back its easier and you get a more precise hole location.

67cheby 01-24-2018 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 8168991)
I'm still chasing down brake line fittings, so I put that on hold for now. Instead I made more progress on the Slosh Tubz install. The drivers side is done, so I tackled the passenger side. Its a bit of a wrestling match to get them in place with out a spotter, but it can be done.

The cut on this side is a bit smaller this time. I spent time dressing the edges with a flapper disc so I can clean up inside the fender once I'm done with the mock up. I will protect the cuts and inside the fender with undercoating when finished.

I got the tub in place and drilled the two front holes. I used longer than stock bolts to hold them in place while working the perimeter holes. Mark the center hole and drill it out. Use a longer bolt again to align the liner. I have found if alternate front to back its easier and you get a more precise hole location.

Cant wait to see it at LONESTAR THROWDOWN!!

N2TRUX 01-25-2018 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 8169002)
Cant wait to see it at LONESTAR THROWDOWN!!

Me too buddy.

N2TRUX 01-25-2018 10:50 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Last night I discovered two things. One is, I will never earn a living as a template maker. Two is I am a persistent SOB, and persistence pays off. Mike Losh needed a set of templates made for Mild Tubz filler panelz to fit the 73-80 fenders. He asked if I would help him out, and I jumped on the opportunity to return a favor.

What I discovered is these panels are multi-dimensional and its a task to get them right. Instead of a pretty pattern, I created a Frankenstein cut out thats patched together with multiple layers of paper and tape. Its pretty scary, but it is functional.

67cheby 01-25-2018 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 8169881)
Last night I discovered two things. One is, I will never earn a living as a template maker. Two is I am a persistent SOB, and persistence pays off. Mike Losh needed a set of templates made for Mild Tubz filler panelz to fit the 73-80 fenders. He asked if I would help him out, and I jumped on the opportunity to return a favor.

What I discovered is these panels are multi-dimensional and its a task to get them right. Instead of a pretty pattern, I created a Frankenstein cut out thats patched together with multiple layers of paper and tape. Its pretty scary, but it is functional.

the important part is......if they dont fit right i can blame you! LOL

N2TRUX 01-26-2018 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 8170112)
the important part is......if they dont fit right i can blame you! LOL

Gee thanks, but I knew that was coming. Hows that saying go? "Trim to fit, paint to match"

N2TRUX 01-26-2018 11:03 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Round two of my pattern making went much better. I thought I might be able to use the drivers side and flip it over. No such luck, but it did give me a starting point. This time I made it in three sections and adjusted accordingly. It did require a couple of add ons, but its not the Frankenstein pattern like the other side.

67cheby 01-26-2018 05:36 PM

well i approve!!

N2TRUX 01-27-2018 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 8170922)
well i approve!!

Does that mean you signed off on them? My legal team says I may have a loophole.

N2TRUX 01-27-2018 12:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Switching gears last night I worked on the exhaust again. It's the last thing that needs to be done under the rear of the truck.
I plan to put the bed on soon so I want this completed. It doesn't do justice to the Deeds Engineering hangers, but it will work for now.

N2TRUX 01-28-2018 02:02 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Saturday I located the last two fitting I needed for the Wilwood proportioning valve. I bent the lines that were waiting for fittings and mocked them up.

With all the lines complete I pulled it apart one last time. Now I can clean and prep the area for paint

N2TRUX 01-29-2018 11:05 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I prepped and painted the bracket I made along with the crossmember its mounted to. The brake lines were complete, so I pulled them out and painted those as well. The brake lines were a lesson in frustration, so I'm praying they dont leak.

N2TRUX 01-29-2018 11:15 AM

6 Attachment(s)
I had a paint mishap that prevented me from painting the exhaust Friday night. A word of caution. Always verify you have a supply of cleaning solvent "before" you load your gun. I had a clog in my color gun and no way to clean it out. It didn't end well as I used my last drop of Brake Cleaner to clean up the mess.

With a fresh batch of supplies, I was able to get the exhaust sprayed with Cerekote on Saturday. The instructions say it doesnt require reduction, but I feel its a bit thick straight from the can. I reduced it with DT 885 and it flowed fantastic. I layed down several thin coats it went on super smooth.

rustytruck50 01-29-2018 07:44 PM

Nice!!!! It's really coming along!!!!

N2TRUX 01-30-2018 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustytruck50 (Post 8173451)
Nice!!!! It's really coming along!!!!

It seems like I'm loosing ground rather than gaining, but thanks for the motivation.

N2TRUX 01-30-2018 11:50 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Last night I made the final install of the exhaust system. I had difficulty location a collector gasket that was the right size. I also decided to use larger rivits to hold the system together. Initially I had used medium stainless rivets, but a head popped off one so I went much larger.

Once I get the LST and Goodguys behind me, I'll have to to have a pro built system. Till then, my parts and pieces system will get the job done. Thanks again to Kevin Deeds at Deeds Engineering for the beautiful hangers.