The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Ian's Tennessee Honey '64 Short Box Step-side - England (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=666495)

ibrown50 10-14-2018 04:30 PM

Re: Ian's Tennessee Honey '64 Short Box Step-side - England

5 Attachment(s)
Work on the truck had been a bit sporadic lately so I haven't been very good at documenting what I’ve done.

I finished the front end fender repair, came out ok

Attachment 1829621

The return on the lower repair panel was actually too short where the repair panel joins the original fender so I had to put a small piece of steel in to even it up

Attachment 1829622

Attachment 1829623

The other thing I was missing were the brackets that hold the uppers seals at the rear of the fender. I'd used the rusted out parts as a pattern on the passenger side but on the drivers side I literally had nothing to work with and was completely stuck without them. Sometimes when you're working on US vehicles in the UK you can be stuck for the most simple of parts this was one of those situations. Luckily for me I'm a member of this forum which is full of great people. Rocknrod (thank you Sir!) put me onto Aspen Autos, if you've not used them I honsetly can't recommend them enough, and they suppleid me with an excellent used set at a very fair price.

Attachment 1829624

I've got the inside of the fender coated in stone guard and the fender returns into body colour,, next job is to fit the seals and then re-fit the fender.

Attachment 1829629

Palf70Step 10-14-2018 08:02 PM

Looks good! :metal:

Grizz1963 10-15-2018 02:03 AM

Last two updates are just great Ian.

Looking so good.

Well done!

ibrown50 10-20-2018 04:59 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Today in County Durham it was one of those fabulous autumn (sorry fall) days, dry, sunny, cool but not too cool and you just know its going to be the last (or one of the last ones) until spring. Time to jump on the bike and grab those last few miles of the season. It was while I was riding I realised I hadn't given my latest bike a mention.

Those who follow my thread may remember that last year I did something I said I would never do.............no not that :lol::lol: I bought a water cooled Harley. Now it wasn't a bad bike at all, but in fairness wasn't really me. I just love the noise, smell and feel of an air cooled twin, so earlier this year I traded the "kettle" for an air cooled 48 sportster.

Attachment 1831106

I also found time today to finish the fender closing panels and fit them using nylon "fir tree" clips

Attachment 1831107

Attachment 1831108

Attachment 1831109

ibrown50 10-20-2018 05:03 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I also managed to get the fender back on, I'm very happy with the fit,

Attachment 1831110

Attachment 1831111

The door gap needs a little tweak at the bottom which I can get to once the door comes off.

Attachment 1831112

Tomorrow is the NSRA Northern Swap Meet, the last one of the season , so me and my mate Paul are off the Sheffield :metal:

Grizz1963 10-20-2018 06:36 PM

That’s a pretty Harley.

You missed a spot on the fender :mm:

MacQuigley 10-22-2018 05:10 AM

Looking good Ian.

If you and I can keep up the pace we should beat the two southern softies and get back on the road first :-):-):-)

ibrown50 10-24-2018 07:38 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizz1963 (Post 8368427)
That’s a pretty Harley.

You missed a spot on the fender :mm:

Thanks Rian, it's a shame you don't live closer you could have taken it for a run out, these modern Harleys ride really nice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacQuigley (Post 8369285)
Looking good Ian.

If you and I can keep up the pace we should beat the two southern softies and get back on the road first :-):-):-)

Indeed, but neither of us will beat Rian with the pace he's going on his new blazer

I went to the Northern swap meet on Sunday in Sheffield, it may be Northern for Rian and Martin but for me and Bill there's nothing northern about it :lol:

There were a few rods but mainly 50's chrome and fins stuff. There were a couple of trucks there, most seemed to have motorcycles on the back

Attachment 1832110

Attachment 1832111

Attachment 1832112

Attachment 1832113

Attachment 1832117

ibrown50 10-24-2018 07:54 AM

3 Attachment(s)
This 69 was probably my favourite

Attachment 1832118

I didn't buy much but I did blag this old slot mag for £10 ($12-$13). It will make a great hose reel for my garage wall.

Attachment 1832119

A quick truck up-date, I've pulled the drivers door to do the last of my cab rust repairs, I got the outer stripped ok, flipped it over and started on the inner.

I had a pair of inner repair panels that I got from Martin a while back so i was good to go (or so I thought). The rust extends into the hinge pocket so I thought it best to check how far up the repair section goes.

Hmmmm can you remember those spot the difference pictures that were in all of the comics when we were kids?

Attachment 1832120

It turns out they were a pair alright (as in two) it's just they were both the same side, oh darn :lol:

New one is on order from Ecklers, luckily I've plenty to be getting on with

MacQuigley 10-24-2018 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibrown50 (Post 8370625)

Indeed, but neither of us will beat Rian with the pace he's going on his new blazer

I went to the Northern swap meet on Sunday in Sheffield, it may be Northern for Rian and Martin but for me and Bill there's nothing northern about it :lol:

Ah but Blazers don't count Ian.

Shefield! May as well be another country to me, oh wait it is!

Grizz1963 10-25-2018 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacQuigley (Post 8371010)
Ah but Blazers don't count Ian.

Shefield! May as well be another country to me, oh wait it is!

Sadly have to admit defeat here.

Bill is right.

But the Blazer is making me feel better.

Ian and you have been quietly steaming ahead.

ibrown50 12-04-2018 06:01 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Sorry this is not really truck related but I thought some readers of this thread might find it interesting and there’s a transport link in here somewhere (honestly :lol:).

While walking my dog at the weekend something occurred to me. It’s strange how we’ve all visited places hundreds, even thousands of miles from home but you never seem to visit places that are on your doorstep. One such place for me is the Causey Arch, the oldest single arch railway bridge in the world and it’s about a mile from my front door.

Attachment 1844895

A bit of history

In the 17 and 1800’s coal was transported in wooden wagons from the mines of County Durham (at that time the largest coal field in the world) to the port of Newcastle for onward shipment. These wagons travelled along unpaved roads know as wagonways, being in unpaved they would become rutted and pot-holed and often impassable. To combat this in the early 1700’s the practice of laying rails for the wagons to run on began and thus wagonways became railways.

Attachment 1844894

The mine owners even agreed a "standard" width for the rails so that everyone’s wagons could use the railways. This was 4 feet 8 1/2 inches which was considered to be the ideal width for the horse pulling the wagon and the man leading it. Today about 55% of the worlds trains still run on this "standard gauge".

So what about the Causey Arch? It was designed and built in 1725 by local Master Mason Ralph Wood, to span the Causey gorge. At the time it was built it was the longest single arch bridge in Britain at 102 feet.

Attachment 1844893

The fate of Mr Wood

But the real irony to this tale is the fate of Mr Wood himself. Convinced his construction was flawed in some way and believing it would collapse, he threw himself from the bridge to his death in the gorge some 150 feet below.

Attachment 1844896

They say that his ghost can be seen wandering the bridge at night and on a windy night you can hear his cries as he falls to his death. (this is Beamish….. we love a good ghost story). Anyway in 6 years it will be 300 years old... how wrong he was.

Grizz1963 12-06-2018 02:56 AM

Sadly there have been many Ralph Woods’ in history.

Some for small reasons, some maybe by reason of “insanity”

However, we can never really predict or even change the way they see their world.

Thank you for sharing this.

The Rocknrod 12-06-2018 07:40 AM

Interesting story on the rail width. Glad I could help with info on the fender seals. Your doing great Ian. ;)

ibrown50 12-30-2018 04:25 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizz1963 (Post 8399864)
Sadly there have been many Ralph Woods’ in history.

Some for small reasons, some maybe by reason of “insanity”

However, we can never really predict or even change the way they see their world.

Thank you for sharing this.

Thanks Rian

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rocknrod (Post 8399880)
Interesting story on the rail width. Glad I could help with info on the fender seals. Your doing great Ian. ;)

Thank you

It's been a while since I last did a truck up-date progress has been slow but steady.

I finished the fender, the repair panel was a really decent fit so took very little prep to be ready for paint, I did the cab corner floor and rocker at the same time.

Attachment 1851596

Attachment 1851597

Attachment 1851598

Attachment 1851599

I've also made a start on the drivers door, which, if things go as planned and I buy new bedsides will be my last rust repair :bann::bann: It is pretty much the same as the passenger side just "truck rot" as Clem would say.

Attachment 1851600

ibrown50 12-30-2018 04:37 PM

5 Attachment(s)
What wasn't the same was the repair panel. :banghead: Now I know pattern parts can be variable, but the drivers door inner was about 3/8" -1/2" bigger than the door and the the trim looked like it had been done with an axe..........and it cost be about $80 including shipping to the UK. I actually thought they had missed a tool out when there were making it there was the right amount of metal it was just all in the wrong place. :lol:

Attachment 1851601

Nothing to do but cut it up rework it (lots) and use only the pieces I need.

Attachment 1851602

When I'm working I often get so caught up in the job I often forget to take pictures at different stages

Attachment 1851603

I made a patch panel (can you guess which one)

Attachment 1851604

And tacked it in, I won't finish weld anything until I've had the door back on to check the fit.

Attachment 1851605

ibrown50 12-30-2018 04:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I got as far as cutting and tacking in the front portion of the inner, so barring the finish welding the inner is done

Attachment 1851606

Attachment 1851607

Attachment 1851608

And that's all the work I'll get done on the truck this year.

So it only remains for me to wish you all a happy, healthy and prosperous 2019. May you get everything you need and most of what you want.

MacQuigley 12-30-2018 04:56 PM

Your getting there Ian. Nice work.

Ive been beavering away the last week and I do need to update my project as well. At this rate we will definitely be finished before Martin and Rian!!!!!

The North Rules!

Grizz1963 12-30-2018 05:16 PM

Great progress Ian.

I hope I can replicate what you and Bill have done when I get there.

Thank you for the steering wheel for the Blazer.

realvc 12-30-2018 06:04 PM

Great looking repair patches. Your body working skills are awesome.
All I've done is buy a few parts and do a lot of thinking about the next step.

MacQuigley 12-30-2018 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizz1963 (Post 8416368)
Great progress Ian.

I hope I can replicate what you and Bill have done when I get there.

Thank you for the steering wheel for the Blazer.

Blazer is looking nice though and at least you do have a running driving truck!

Grizz1963 12-31-2018 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacQuigley (Post 8416531)
Blazer is looking nice though and at least you do have a running driving truck!

True......

Thankfully.

HIJACK MODE ON.

And the steering wheel,was delivered as mentioned,by the chirpy courier lady.

Thank you to Ian Brown again.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...psyv9fwbmc.jpg

Closer inspection showed years of wear and tear and muckyness.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps086k0oba.jpg

Some rust on the horn button itself.

I wanted to give it a coat of paint, but suspect it was made that way, because it does not get paint.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...pstl31jv7q.jpg

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...psa6yao3la.jpg

Spring plate was very much rusty too.

Stopped at this point.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps3jsyyraf.jpg

Cleaning took just over two hours with Cillit Bang ammonia based cleaner and a kitchen scoured, and a sharp knife in places.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps0xwk600e.jpg

And offered up in the truck different size for sure.

And note the centre is not Centre.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...pseo3tsidv.jpg

https://i294.photobucket.com/albums/...pswggojpyi.jpg

I will fit it after the New Years Festivities are over.

Back to work soon.

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL.

Here’s to a car and truck filled 2019.

Palf70Step 12-31-2018 12:00 PM

Looking good Rian. Yeah they off centered then I guess so us plump Americans can get in and out easier. :lol:

ibrown50 01-28-2019 03:44 PM

5 Attachment(s)
A quick up-date (while I remember),

I thought I'd get away with 2 corner repairs on the outer skin but it turned out much worse than I thought and ended up replacing the whole lower section. Doing the outer skin in 2 halves is not the most efficient way but hey-ho.

Attachment 1869791

Attachment 1869811

Once everything was tacked in place I hung the door back on the cab to check alignment and fit (I forgot to take a photo) and the fit was really good. Once happy with the fit I fully welded the inner.

Attachment 1869808

I had weld the outer skin a little at a time, as the welds cooled and contracted they pulled the skin inwards making the skin concave and creating a hollow. So it was weld a little, hammer and dolly back out weld repeat until done. The access to the rear of the door skin is really restricted, you have to wedge your arm through the larger hole at the top. If only my arm was a foot longer and I had an extra elbow I might have avoided this bruise :waah: the sacrifices we make for our trucks :lol:

Attachment 1869809

The outer skin still needs a little work but the shape is 95% there

Attachment 1869810

MacQuigley 01-28-2019 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibrown50 (Post 8453148)
If only my arm was a foot longer and I had an extra elbow
Attachment 1869810

Just a foot longer? Id have gone with extendable and you had 4 pair of them. That would just about be enough.

Nice work though Ian.