The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   60-66 Suburbans (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=241)
-   -   SiX-fo SuBuRbAn (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=448681)

padresag 02-24-2011 08:34 PM

Re: SiX-fo SuBuRbAn

I think that you just put a carb on it.
I just got a 87 tbi 350 for mine also w/sm365 for my 1t and have been debating the same thing. I do have the donor vehicle so I will try the tbi ,but have never been involved with any of this before
ron

PAPA KENT 02-24-2011 11:39 PM

Nice score jon,one of these days i'll have to meet you and check it out.bitterroot swap meet is this saturday,might see you there.
Kent.

Clyde65 02-25-2011 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop (Post 4510991)
trade ya for the crew cab!!:lol:

Ha, Ha Jon, I think my dad would notice if I did that. since I dont own it. yet

Jonboy 02-25-2011 10:36 AM

I put the 87 TBI in my '74. I used a harness from www.fuelinjectionconnection.com. Robert was really great to work with, and the harness was really reasonably priced, too ($245 shipped). I mainly did it so I wouldn't have to deal with 25 year old wiring. His harness deletes emissions, so that really didn't hurt my feelings either. You use teh original ECM, though. For fuel, all you have to do is run a fuel feed and return line, and mount an electric fuel pump. I was able to use a factory '87 tank in my truck, but using an 87-91 Sub/Blazer tank would work for you, and you could use an in tank pump. If you are using a 700R4, I think you could adapt a newer brake switch and use the TCC, (that's what I did), and I used a VSS from Jags that Run ($75) so I could run my original cluster. It goes on the transmission, between it and the speedo cable. If you have a running donor, that would make things a lot easier.

jonzcustomshop 02-25-2011 11:52 AM

thanks jonboy thqat is the info I need, now to see if it makes more sense to run the tbi or bbc!

Jonboy 02-25-2011 12:00 PM

With gas prices going up, I would say TBI.

There was some trial and error with mine, but mostly because I got mine in boxes. Having a running donor will help quite a bit. I had originally figured to run a carb, but the TBI engine I got did not have a provision for a fuel pump. That kind of made my mind up for me. I am rusty, or it probably would have been a weekend (or maybe just a little longer) project. I ended up replacing exhaust manifolds, power steering pump, cleaning and painting up a lot of stuff, interior, and other things. The TBI conversion was pretty easy, though.

Alan's Classic 02-25-2011 09:28 PM

You starting up a Chevy truck dealership? J/K Nice find. :metal:

jonzcustomshop 02-26-2011 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 4513628)
You starting up a Chevy truck dealership? J/K Nice find. :metal:

:lol:
btw this is # 18 for 60-66's....
what I need to do is sell!sell!sell!:lol:

kdrodworks316 02-27-2011 02:05 AM

Nice score johnny! My vote is for diesel power, an ol 12 valve cummins would look great under the hood, and have loads of power and get better milage than any gasser could dream about. And you wont even need to lower it, the cummins will take care of that!

jonzcustomshop 07-25-2012 12:33 AM

2 Attachment(s)
well... finally gettting started on this one,...
about a year ago I picked up a rust free floor and cowl from a rolled 66 sub.
the plan is to cut the roof posts, and cut/undo the floor behind the rockers and fix this body.
At some point here I will get some pics up of how rusty this 64's floor really is...

the plan is to go 4X4 so I can have a cool winter rig.

I did some trading and picked up a 4 inch lift kit for a 87 4x4, and I am pirating all the rest of the suspension out of a wrecked 89 suburban 3/4 ton 4X4

slow going.. it's hot :lol: and getting all these riveted pieces off the 89 is a ton of work!
I am at the home stretch for disassembly now, just need to get the rear springs and hangers off, pics show the jumble of parts I am going to have to prep and put on the 64.

ChiefRocka 07-25-2012 01:09 AM

What .... Is everyone building burbans ?!?

Man, its getting crowded in here !

:lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

jonzcustomshop 07-25-2012 01:40 AM

:lol: we're gonna need our own forum soon!

RockTonka 07-25-2012 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop (Post 5504096)

I second the motion...

piratexpress1369a 07-25-2012 04:27 AM

i third it..lol

aerotruk63 07-25-2012 06:21 AM

Sure, laugh at those who have to go without! LOL.

MikeS. 07-25-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop
we're gonna need our own forum soon!

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockTonka (Post 5504123)
I second the motion...

I'll make that the fourth.
Posted via Mobile Device

MikeS. 07-25-2012 11:04 AM

Jon, don't forget man we're going to want a lots of pictures. I'm glad to see another Burb being brought back to life, especially as a 4 x 4.

I'm really interested in seeing the floor before and after because I have to do quite a bit of sheet metal work on mine, the floor that is. The rest of the sheet-metal is in really good shape I was surprised how good it actually is.

Well quite a bit is an exaggeration, some is more like it.

ChiefRocka 07-25-2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop (Post 5504096)

Ok ..... I have some homework to do !
Posted via Mobile Device

jonzcustomshop 07-25-2012 02:47 PM

I will get some good shots of the floor process... probably still a couple weeks out.

I was kidding about the forum, but if josh and liz are ok with it, it would be cool ,and probably helpful to have all the subs/panels in one spot... right now I just put suburban in the search, and try to find sub specific threads for what I need...

gostranger 07-25-2012 02:58 PM

I will make that #5 on the suburban section!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Jimmyg 65 07-25-2012 10:12 PM

I'm in for a Suburban forum.Brought another to life,

jonzcustomshop 07-25-2012 10:52 PM

today I started trying to cut the rear mounts off the frame, after a bit I decided that doing all that outside and under that sub (89) was not going t be easy, or fun!
So I decided to just cut the whole rear frame section free of the sub. now I can pull that piece up near the garage (in the shade) and drill out all the rivets, instead of trying to do it with a torch, which was not working...

padresag 07-25-2012 10:59 PM

nobody is going to put back together are they. do it the easiest way on you, upright
ron

jonzcustomshop 07-26-2012 03:14 PM

the 89 sub had a bent frame in the front, so it was junk, got all the rear pieces busted loose today, the method that worked for me after some research on the site, was to X cut the rivet with a cutoff wheel, then bust the top off with a chisel, then push them through with a punch,, got 'em all loose in a couple of hours, but now I'm worn out so I will do more stuff tomorrow....
tomorrow should be the start of the disassembly of the 64...

ChiefRocka 07-26-2012 06:31 PM

Thats the easiest, I found.
Posted via Mobile Device