The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Delco radio with aux. input added (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=447379)

Cramitthefrog 02-17-2011 10:08 PM

Re: Delco radio with aux. input added

I don't see a problem doing this in a newer radio, you just have to identify the wires that carry the audio signal to the amp.

Cramitthefrog 02-17-2011 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Telecasterjoey (Post 4493716)
I think the radio is a 1980? I took it out of a screwed up truck from the scrap yard. I have an 86 tape player stock radio, and I've located the green and orange wires. My radio is different but I think I can figure it out. Would you mind selling me the part? I think Im going to have a hard time tracking it down. Radio shack doesn't ship to canada :(

again thanks so much for your help!!!

Just pm me your address and I will send it to you. They are only a couple bucks so no need to worry about buying it, I just hope it works out for you.

Telecasterjoey 02-17-2011 10:23 PM

Pm Sent!

allengator 02-17-2011 10:30 PM

great idea....

bigd65 02-18-2011 10:57 AM

This is pretty cool. My dash is not cut eather but I am definately not an electrical nerd, there is NO way i could perform that task

motornut 02-18-2011 11:23 AM

Quote:

I think the radio is a 1980? I took it out of a screwed up truck from the scrap yard. I have an 86 tape player stock radio, and I've located the green and orange wires. My radio is different but I think I can figure it out. Would you mind selling me the part? I think Im going to have a hard time tracking it down. Radio shack doesn't ship to canada :(

again thanks so much for your help!!!

Radio shack we now call the The Source up here
very cool mod ......on the list

West Texas Z 02-18-2011 12:12 PM

Very cool mod!!!

Fixwhataintbroke 02-18-2011 07:33 PM

i seriously wish i had done this rather than hack my dash!!! I think ill start bending the metal back in place, weld the seems, and perform this trick!

N2TRUX 02-18-2011 08:35 PM

This topic is an FAQ-"73-87 Delco radio with aux. input added"

JWNathan 02-20-2011 01:28 AM

Wow awesome mod! One question though; would it work on an AM only radio? Thanks!
-Jesse

Cramitthefrog 02-20-2011 03:09 PM

I haven't tried it but I don't see why it wouldn't. Your just splicing into an audio feed be it am or fm.

motornut 02-22-2011 11:25 PM

an am might be a problem mono not wired for stereo
might short out

Telecasterjoey 03-03-2011 07:16 PM

Hey buddy I got the input! I was wondering if you could tell me what numbers on the diagram are what?
Posted via Mobile Device

Cramitthefrog 03-03-2011 10:37 PM

Glad you finally got it.

Post #1 is the ground. This needs to connect to the stereo body somewhere

Post #2 is the left channel out. This connects to the wire going into the amp board.

Post #3 is the left channel in. This connects to the wire coming from the main board.

Post #4 is the right channel in. This connects to the wire coming from the main board.

Post # 5 is the right channel out. This connects to the wire going into the amp board.

Main board is the one on the bottom, the amp board is the one on the side.

Just think of it this way, when the aux is unplugged the audio signal passes straight through into the switch then out. When you plug it in the contact is broken and the signal from the 1/8 plug is sent to the amp.

Just remember to have the power off when plug and unplug the aux.

Good luck and don't hesitate to pm me if you have any questions.

Cramitthefrog 03-03-2011 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motornut (Post 4506576)
an am might be a problem mono not wired for stereo
might short out

Good call did not even think of that.

sandorjoben 03-03-2011 10:53 PM

Quote:

Radio shack doesn't ship to canada :(

The Source by Circuit City IS Radio Shack

TheWhiteElephant 03-04-2011 12:58 AM

Now all I need is an ipod.:waah:

Telecasterjoey 03-04-2011 01:40 AM

Thanks man! i'm gonna tackle it tomorrow!

truckfan 03-05-2011 06:48 PM

subscribed. this is cool.

be careful guys, some of the AM/FM radios are not stereo. I think it needs to say stereo on the front and maybe even have a stereo light.

Telecasterjoey 03-06-2011 02:58 AM

Got this mod working! I love it! sounds decent too!

Gary66 03-06-2011 11:42 AM

i bought a rebuilt radio on ebay with this mod done- and i am super pleased with it!!!

Altec 03-07-2011 03:23 AM

I have a AM/FM from a '84 Monte Carlo SS I may try this on. I was trying to find a way to keep a factory radio in my truck.

1985-GMC 11-17-2011 09:19 PM

Im going to have to do this. First I need to find a radio with "stereo" because the am/fm radio Ive got has one pair of speaker wires for a center dash speaker only I guess, though it looks way more complicated inside.

Nice writeup!

Do you think it would be possible to take one of the three position switches out of a Am/Fm/Cassette radio and putting it in one of these for Am/Fm/Aux. Then you wouldn't have to use a switched aux plug and you wouldn't have to worry about powering off before you plug/unplug the cable right?

Cramitthefrog 11-17-2011 11:39 PM

Thats a good question, I think I might try it. I would also like to modify one of the ETR ones if I can ever find one that is in nice shape.

Paniolo 12-05-2011 05:20 PM

Very cool mod! I've been searching the internet looking for this! I did it on an 8 track/AM/FM unit. The hardest part was fitting the jack in the front panel location. Finally got it in and the radio indicator jams against it because of the way the indicator is mounted in the door of the 8 track. Oh well, it's only like 89 and below I can't get. Should have just put the jack in the back of the case and run a wire from there. A basic AM/FM stereo would have a lot more room.

I also recommend using some 20 or 22+ gauge solid wire cause it would be a lot easier to solder to those small connections than the 18 gauge stranded I had on hand!

After I did this I added some 350 ohm non polarized capacitors to my little 3.5" front speakers as a high pass filter. Crossover point is about 115hz. Now I want to install an old 10" sub and amp I have laying around. Any suggestions on a source to use as a remote power on for the amp from inside the radio?

Thanks again for sharing this. Love the cost and the look!