The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Squarebody Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   "Crewcab Jake" the 84 to 74 conversion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=762114)

N2TRUX 04-22-2018 10:06 AM

Re: "Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

7 Attachment(s)
Jake came with manual roll up windows. I want full power options, so I decided to find a set of power doors. Since they will all need painted it doesn't matter if they aren't match. I scored two rear doors, four panels and a harness from my buddy Berdo.
I made a trip to the tiny town of Nada, Texas and got a passenger front door, power panels, and a 73 core support. Piece by piece the parts are accumulating.

jbailly 04-23-2018 09:56 AM

Maybe it's me, but since the last truck was "Elwood" and this one is "Jake" you must be a Blues Brothers fan, so maybe an obvious color choice for this one is blue? Anyway can't wait to see another beautiful truck out of your shop.

N2TRUX 04-23-2018 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbailly (Post 8245233)
Maybe it's me, but since the last truck was "Elwood" and this one is "Jake" you must be a Blues Brothers fan, so maybe an obvious color choice for this one is blue? Anyway can't wait to see another beautiful truck out of your shop.

While I am a Blues brothers fan, that's not how the names came about. I was stumped for a name on the 77, and my buddy Mike suggested Elwood. It seemed fitting with the woodgrain so it stuck (pun intended).
We considered several options for Jake, but my brother in law suggested Jake. It took some time, but Jake was voted in by the family.

N2TRUX 04-24-2018 12:06 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I got a message from a buddy of mine the other night. He said I have something you need, and sent pics. He was right. It was a 1979 tailgate that had been in storage for decades. A family friend had taken it off of a truck that was turned in to a wrecker. Its been collecting dust every since.

He added that he had an 85 GMC that had cool original paint, but the tailgate had been damaged. He had located a replacement band, but not a good 81-87 tailgate. It just so happened I had the correct one that he needed. It was in restorable condition, but it needed some love.

I went by his shop and we visited a bit to get caught up, then we did some horse trading. He got the gate that he needed and I got one as well. I came home with a GM unit that is in excellent condition. It has some surface rust from storage, but the Silverado band is in mint condition.

Palf70Step 04-24-2018 02:03 PM

Very Nice Ken!

RADustin 04-24-2018 03:14 PM

I was in your shoes. Got frustrated and bought a truck from New Jersey. Then a few months later low and behold I found my exact wish only about 1.5hrs away!

They're out there! In mislabeled for sale adds!

RADustin 04-24-2018 03:16 PM

PS- I'll have an extra set or two of all 4 wood grain 73-76 door panels once I pick the 4 I want.

So if you can find doors(good luck!) I may be able to help out with the door panels.

N2TRUX 04-24-2018 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RADustin (Post 8246513)
PS- I'll have an extra set or two of all 4 wood grain 73-76 door panels once I pick the 4 I want. So if you can find doors(good luck!) I may be able to help out with the door panels.

Dustin I have everything I need to do full power doors and 81-87 door panels except the drivers door. I'm have a buddy that bringing in a Suburban that will probably take care of that too.

As much as I love the early interior, I am probably going to with the later door panels. Good stuff is near impossible to find, and its never cheap.
Quote:

Originally Posted by RADustin (Post 8246511)
I was in your shoes. Got frustrated and bought a truck from New Jersey. Then a few months later low and behold I found my exact wish only about 1.5hrs away! They're out there! In mislabeled for sale adds!

I know your right, but my Dad had a saying. "Son, you got a fish on the hook you reel it in". When it comes to buying and selling, don't pass on an OK deal looking for that elusive perfect deal. If that comes along, I'll sell Jake and start over. If not, I'm doing alright with what I have so far.

N2TRUX 04-24-2018 09:03 PM

8 Attachment(s)
So me and my buddy make a mutually agreeable deal. We shook hands and walked away happy. I couldnt wait to get home and confirm that the early gate would work on the later bed. I knew there were changes along the way, but I couldn't remember exactly what and when. I called my buddy Chris Lucas and he reassured me I was safe.

Once home, the 79 tailgate dropped in place on the 84 trunions. I did have to remove the rubber rattle stops from the top of the bed to close the gate. Beyond that, it looked as if it was made for it. After giving the band another good cleaning, I realized it was virtually flawless. The upper and lower trim is mint as well. I stood back and take a few pics.

N2TRUX 04-24-2018 09:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I was excited that it fit so well, and closed up nicely. I had thought maybe the old bed was tweaked, but this gate lines up nicely. After admiring my new purchase for a moment, I could resist digging in my parts stash. My buddy Keith found a NOS Cheyenne band a few years back and i picked it up from him. Its got some shelf scuffs in the clear, but its still in mint condition. I had to know what it looked like on this tailgate.

N2TRUX 04-24-2018 09:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So the question is, which one looks best. Keep in mind the truck will be factory red and have all new 73-80 trim on it. Top or bottom?

Dads79GMC 04-24-2018 09:39 PM

Toss-up; but partial to the narrow one!

Advanced Design 04-24-2018 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 8246799)
So the question is, which one looks best. Keep in mind the truck will be factory red and have all new 73-80 trim on it. Top or bottom?

Top, both look good though.

Palf70Step 04-24-2018 11:16 PM

:agree:

Both look good, but I like the narrow one. You just don't see those that much.

808_67C10 04-25-2018 11:45 AM

I like the narrow one too!!!

RADustin 04-25-2018 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 8246773)
Dustin I have everything I need to do full power doors and 81-87 door panels except the drivers door. I'm have a buddy that bringing in a Suburban that will probably take care of that too.

As much as I love the early interior, I am probably going to with the later door panels. Good stuff is near impossible to find, and its never cheap.
I know your right, but my Dad had a saying. "Son, you got a fish on the hook you reel it in". When it comes to buying and selling, don't pass on an OK deal looking for that elusive perfect deal. If that comes along, I'll sell Jake and start over. If not, I'm doing alright with what I have so far.

sounds good on the doors parts!

exactly what I did!:lol: sold my first '76 chevy for the '76GMC.

RADustin 04-25-2018 11:48 AM

Quote:

narrow trim. That's what I'm running and I prefer.

rodstored-72 04-25-2018 03:41 PM

ken,
great score!! will be following as well. I may have missed it? but I assume that the truck is a conversion to SWB? can you give little detail on how it was done? also were/are you "scared" about the "workmanship" if a conversion? I am in the beginning stages of looking for a squarebody project as well, I am fully aware of the rareness of finding a "descent" truck for a good price! it seems like the second that I started looking the prices jumped about 15% higher!!!:jdp:

what are you thoughts on the drivetrain? I am really wanting to do a 5.3/4l60 in my project, I am planning on it to be a DD with a flare for showing as well...

let the games begin!!:lol:

Jake

SCOTI 04-25-2018 06:40 PM

Quote:

Earlier small band all day. The later/larger band doesn't match the early 73-80 trim as well.

N2TRUX 04-25-2018 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8247565)
Earlier small band all day. The later/larger band doesn't match the early 73-80 trim as well.

Scoti its actually the correct Silverado band for the 79 tailgate. I have always liked the narrow Cheyenne band as well.

N2TRUX 04-25-2018 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodstored-72 (Post 8247431)
ken,
great score!! will be following as well. I may have missed it? but I assume that the truck is a conversion to SWB? can you give little detail on how it was done? also were/are you "scared" about the "workmanship" if a conversion? I am in the beginning stages of looking for a squarebody project as well, I am fully aware of the rareness of finding a "descent" truck for a good price! it seems like the second that I started looking the prices jumped about 15% higher!!!:jdp:

what are you thoughts on the drivetrain? I am really wanting to do a 5.3/4l60 in my project, I am planning on it to be a DD with a flare for showing as well...

let the games begin!!:lol:

Jake

I had been doing lots of low key searching for while. This truck was far from what i was actually after as far as condition, but a thorough inspection disclosed that it had great bones. I had been provided with detailed pictures of the frame cut and felt it was done to my satisfaction. Initially I passed on the deal based on condition vs asking price. The seller was motivated and made me an offer I couldn't pass on.

Its currently running the most anemic 454 GM ever made, and I have never been a big fan of 454s, but I think this truck needs one. Im considering a 7.4 Vortec, or possibly even an 8.1 . If I do go LS it will be a 6.2, but they are so pricey that probably won't happen. Not matter what, it will be an injected motor with a vintage look.

SCOTI 04-26-2018 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 8247778)
Scoti its actually the correct Silverado band for the 79 tailgate. I have always liked the narrow Cheyenne band as well.

It's 'correct'. But tell me it matches the 73-80 trim better.....

mongocanfly 04-26-2018 03:12 AM

the narrow band looks best to me....

N2TRUX 04-26-2018 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8247882)
It's 'correct'. But tell me it matches the 73-80 trim better.....

Your right, and I know you know the difference. I just wanted to clarify for those that might not.

I think if I had a rear bumper on, it might give a better representation and favor the large band a bit more. Regardless, the Cheyenne band is clearly more popular.

rodstored-72 04-26-2018 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 8247833)
I had been doing lots of low key searching for while. This truck was far from what i was actually after as far as condition, but a thorough inspection disclosed that it had great bones. I had been provided with detailed pictures of the frame cut and felt it was done to my satisfaction. Initially I passed on the deal based on condition vs asking price. The seller was motivated and made me an offer I couldn't pass on.

Its currently running the most anemic 454 GM ever made, and I have never been a big fan of 454s, but I think this truck needs one. Im considering a 7.4 Vortec, or possibly even an 8.1 . If I do go LS it will be a 6.2, but they are so pricey that probably won't happen. Not matter what, it will be an injected motor with a vintage look.

ken,
thanks for the reply, I am at the same "low key" searching stage as well;) glad you are happy with the work of the conversion. about the "most anemic 454 GM ever made" you have to be talking about the 1990 454ss model motor!:lol: I agree that if you have a choice that I would go with the 6.2l injected as well;)
my 0.02 worth on the tailgate band is the "narrow" one. it just screams "ol' school" classy to me - in a subtle way... :lol:. ok.. now the question that is on everyone's mind.........

how do you find these great base trucks to begin your masterpieces with?:metal: :lol: