The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Any ideas how to keep people from driving on my lawn? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=311151)

msgross 10-19-2008 08:31 PM

Re: Any ideas how to keep people from driving on my lawn?

Quote:

Originally Posted by powerdriver 1958 (Post 2937011)
how about a fence made of these?

Those 105's are for indirect fire... you would have to wait until they were a mile away...go with something more direct like an tank!

powerdriver 1958 10-19-2008 08:40 PM

Railroad ties might work but are something else to have to weed eat around.I drive big truck and my co. is hyper sensitive to truck in the yard complaints.Calling the boss of the drivers will have an effect but private cars and trucks are another thing.

hewlett2002000 10-19-2008 09:38 PM

an automated gun turret would work great with lawn drivers or trespassers in general. for a less uhhhh.... "violent" option though, id say go for a fence. there are alot of options but remember also you dont want to leave them stranded in your yard, unless of course a shotgun with rock salt filled shells is handy. maybe a set of electric spikes that you can use a remote to retract when you need to drive through. personally though if i was in that situation i would make an automated turret that shot hot pink paint at the vehicle. that would of course be an eye for an eye. they leave a mark on your lawn, then you leave a mark on there vehicle. a but ugly one at that!!!! lol also convertibles with the top down would give you a good laugh on a bad day.
good luck,
John

NONHOG 10-19-2008 10:07 PM

Park a Mercury wagon(hulk) full of vinyl siding there ! Just an idea ?

72 CustomCamper 10-19-2008 10:50 PM

Dooley posted a link to an auction that has just what you need.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=310977

Chuck

Sillyoldman 10-19-2008 11:34 PM

Does anyone know where the heck I could get a merc wagon full of brown wood grained vinyl siding? That may just be the remedy.
Quote:

Originally Posted by NONHOG (Post 2937210)
Park a Mercury wagon(hulk) full of vinyl siding there ! Just an idea ?

:lol:

rod86 10-20-2008 10:33 AM

:haha: just put a heap of 8ft star pickets along the road and run few strands of barbed wire... :lol:

special-K 10-20-2008 10:51 AM

Install rumble strips.

Bury tires like a race track.

67ChevyRedneck 10-20-2008 10:54 AM

Mine field.

Think of all the scrap you can haul in $$$

***Disclaimer***

My idea is stupid, don't actually do it :lol:

panhandler62 10-20-2008 11:06 AM

How about a hedge? Looks nice and (most) people don't drive through them.

Given the obvious complete lack of respect for private property, I'm not moving to Aburn!

70rs/ss 10-20-2008 12:49 PM

Man, between the folks walking through the yard (old thread) the wife's stint with the PD and now this, how about a fresh start under an assumed name!? No, then any tpe of fencing you are willing to deal with (weedeat around) railroad ties can be had from Home Depot, or the like set them out and spike em in with rebar, leave a gap of 2-3 ft between them so they don't look too bad, but prevent anyone from driving over them. Or maybe a gate at the dirt road's entrance, since it dead ends on your property? Big rocks are a great way as well, again spaced just far enough, but not enough to fit between.

These are not advised according to my attorney!

All else fails, you need some plywood with nails, you know some home improvement project you started but didn't finish?? or those really cool nails with the sheetmetal heads, lay em out then pick up before mowing, or you could have some other PD issues on your hands!!

Phuloi68 10-20-2008 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msgross (Post 2937018)
Those 105's are for indirect fire... you would have to wait until they were a mile away...go with something more direct like an tank!

Lower elevation and just use charge. No damage but strong effect. :bomb:

tdkosta 10-20-2008 06:26 PM

How about this?

http://photoshopcontest.com/images/l...trpjweqogc.gif

msgross 10-20-2008 07:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's what the Europeans use...

God bless Utah Beach boys... and glad these suckers didn't work for long..

tdkosta 10-20-2008 07:40 PM

This style of tank trap is found in Western Germany.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Westwall03.jpg

I'd hate to hit one of those in a car

chevyboy55 10-20-2008 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70rs/ss (Post 2938003)
then any tpe of fencing you are willing to deal with (weedeat around) railroad ties can be had from Home Depot

Are you guys forgetting what this man does with a weedeater that won't start?
(remember his Pete Townsend impersonation thread?);)

vectorit 10-20-2008 08:21 PM

Hey, here you go! They are retractable, and they will stop a 15,000 lb truck that is headin your way in a not so nice manner. Certified by the US Dept. of state to boot.

79gmcc15 10-20-2008 08:24 PM

I think this is the best option!

Sillyoldman 10-21-2008 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyboy55 (Post 2938579)
Are you guys forgetting what this man does with a weedeater that won't start?
(remember his Pete Townsend impersonation thread?);)

Now thats funny!

Sillyoldman 10-21-2008 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70rs/ss (Post 2938003)
Man, between the folks walking through the yard (old thread) the wife's stint with the PD and now this, how about a fresh start under an assumed name!? No, then any tpe of fencing you are willing to deal with (weedeat around) railroad ties can be had from Home Depot, or the like set them out and spike em in with rebar, leave a gap of 2-3 ft between them so they don't look too bad, but prevent anyone from driving over them. Or maybe a gate at the dirt road's entrance, since it dead ends on your property? Big rocks are a great way as well, again spaced just far enough, but not enough to fit between.

These are not advised according to my attorney!

All else fails, you need some plywood with nails, you know some home improvement project you started but didn't finish?? or those really cool nails with the sheetmetal heads, lay em out then pick up before mowing, or you could have some other PD issues on your hands!!

Thought about the gate thing too. My dirt road has three other home that I share an easment with. The neighbors have rights to my portion of the road too. They never come down here, but it needs to be left as an option. I contacted a couple tugboat companied to enquire about used mooring line. Maybe I'll do nothing because this thread is getting funny. May be worth it?

El Jay 10-21-2008 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vectorit (Post 2938603)
Hey, here you go! They are retractable, and they will stop a 15,000 lb truck that is headin your way in a not so nice manner. Certified by the US Dept. of state to boot.

YouTube - Retractable bollards destroy malicious vehicle

Good idea, except now he has a "HazMat" problem.
That could cost a few serious $'s.

rod86 10-21-2008 05:16 AM

:haha:

special-K 10-21-2008 05:49 AM

You could explain to the other property owners the need for a gate.

70rs/ss 10-22-2008 12:58 PM

^^^^ Get a lock with several keys and hand one to each of the neighbors with easment rights, problem solved, but I agree this thread has given me some laughs as well! The mooring rope would be cool, can you hit up the harbor (you are kinda closs to the water, right? My geography sucks, sorry), but if you can hit them up, heck you are lible to get it free for removing it. I like the chain fence as well, old anchor chain, big, heavy and the rust adds chacter?!

Sillyoldman 10-22-2008 01:46 PM

The gate is not optional. Several years ago I put a fence up. It was not a popular decision for those left on the other side. My neighbors on the private road (My side of the fence) all supported my decision. It literally kept hundreds of people off our property. Recently one of the supporting neighbors had a change of heart. School had just started. He asked for the fence to come down so that his teen aged son could walk to school without having to go through the woods. There is a trail at the top of his driveway that goes through maybe 100 yards of woods. My wife and I took a firm stance in not removing the fence. The old easement was thrown in our face. I told them that Im not going against an easement. Their easement ends at the end of my property which is where the fence is. We have not spoken since. Thats all good. Never cared for them much. Last winter a tree came down and blocked the road. He ran to all the neighbors banging on doors to have the tree cut up and removed so he could get to work. That was ok. Me and another neighbor took care of it while this knucklehead sat in his warm car. One cleared he took off. No "Thanks" no wave or nothing. Anyway If I put up a gate I'd be liable to see another about mid way down the road. I have the foot traffic managed to a tolerable rate. Theres definatly a fragile balance right now. I get the feeling that enforcement of my property rights could be disturbed legally if I do much more. I know Im in the right, but I cant afford a lawyer to defend myself if anyone decides to press the issue