The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Bolt on mustang ii (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=691038)

mobileortho 12-30-2015 01:12 PM

Re: Bolt on mustang ii

;)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 67GMCkid (Post 7427932)
This thread has some good pictures.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=685355

I went way overboard when I cut mine down, it looks nice but I may end up reworking it to add back some strength..

just what I needed!

Me&My53 12-31-2015 12:05 AM

How do I locate the online instructions from SW?
And I'm kind of new to this so be patient with me for asking dumb questions but what is the deal with the I'm guessing, pressure reducer for the power steering?
Why would you need to reduce the pressure?

I have a 1953 Deluxe Cab and my plan is to go with an LS1 with a T56 and 4 link rear. I also want to add disc to the rear. (The truck has a 1967 327 with a Saginaw 4 speed and 12 bolt now with stock front suspension.) And I want to add the Mustang II kit from GearHead with power rack and 2" drop spindles.

mobileortho 12-31-2015 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Me&My53 (Post 7429043)
How do I locate the online instructions from SW?
And I'm kind of new to this so be patient with me for asking dumb questions but what is the deal with the I'm guessing, pressure reducer for the power steering?
Why would you need to reduce the pressure?

Here's a link to the SW pdf:

http://static.speedwaymotors.com/pdf/91044754.pdf

It is common to use an early GM power steering pump with a Mustang II power rack and pinion. Most who have tried it have found that the steering was twitchy or that it easily darts. This valve reduces the fluid flow from three gallons-per-minute to two gallons-per-minute, which cures the problem.

mobileortho 01-02-2016 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67GMCkid (Post 7427369)
Only issue I had was everything (5) of the 6 boxes shipped in a day or so of payment..

Hmmm, similar circumstances. I got the rack & rotors Thursday, the shocks, springs control arms today. Still waiting on the spindles & calipers. I'll see if they show up on Monday before I call them.

DENALI 01-05-2016 07:10 PM

Will this crossmember work with either adjustable coilovers or maybe airbags? I am looking to end up with a pretty low stance when i am done. Thanks

67GMCkid 01-05-2016 09:50 PM

The cross member stays the same it's the lower control arm that changes depending on choice of susp. Shock & Spring, Coilover and Air Bag each use a different Lower Arm...

A chart,
http://static.speedwaymotors.com/ima...t-91034320.gif

mobileortho 01-07-2016 08:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Haven't done much with this yet. Still waiting on the spindles & brake components but decided to test fit what I have and found an issue right away. The lower control arm doesn't quite fit. Looks like I'm going to need to do some trimming.

67GMCkid 01-07-2016 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobileortho (Post 7439023)
Haven't done much with this yet. Still waiting on the spindles & brake components but decided to test fit what I have and found an issue right away. The lower control arm doesn't quite fit. Looks like I'm going to need to do some trimming.

Mine was the same way, it took some playing with it but I never ground or cut anything.. IIRC on the front side of the arm, I took the rear rubber out pushed up the steel sleeve ran the bolt up the thru from the back side stopping just before it enters the arm and pryed the arm forward just a bit and slid the rubber bushing back in where it belongs..

mobileortho 01-08-2016 11:27 AM

Ok, I'll give that a try.

mobileortho 01-18-2016 02:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I ended up grinding about an 1/8" off to get them to fit. Got the old unit off today. This thing is huge compared to the MMII!

northern 49 01-19-2016 12:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my speedway cross member installed, I think you will be pretty happy with how well it all goes together. You can get a bit of an idea of how much I trimmed the rad support cross member.

mobileortho 01-21-2016 08:54 AM

Looks like I'm in store for lots of additional mods. When I started this install, I elected not to remove the engine. I jacked it up and that left plenty of room for me to install the crossmember. It's temporarily bolted in place now and looks like the engine will have to come forward about 1.5" or so to line up with the crossmember mounts, which means I'm going to have to relocate the radiator, modify the drive shaft & exhaust. The motor mounts were designed to bolt onto the crossmember, exploring other mounting options before I proceed.

solidaxel 01-21-2016 09:02 AM

I think I would mock up the front fender and see where the front wheel is setting in the wheel opening

northern 49 01-21-2016 01:57 PM

I agree with solidaxle. It wouldn't hurt to mock up the front end because with this crossmember and motor mounts the engine already sits pretty close to the cab. If all is good though you could probably fab a different motor Mount behind the mustang ii crossmember because obviously your engine cleared the cab before you started this swap.

mobileortho 01-21-2016 02:41 PM

It's a tight fit. I recall when i installed the C10 crossmember, I took it in to a shop to fab the mounts & install the column & steering shaft. The shifter was on the column but due to the position of the engine, a column shifter wouldn't work because there was no room for the shifting mechanism. I even have to use finess when removing/installing the valve covers. I followed the MMII install instructions to the T.

mobileortho 01-24-2016 03:03 AM

Well, turns out that the motor mounts are the least of my problems. The template is completely off, none of the holes match up with the support brackets. So much for an easy install.

67GMCkid 01-24-2016 10:02 AM

Do you have any pictures of your mock up? My template was dead on, on every hole..About my the worst issue I had was getting the wrench off the inside nuts after the bolts were tightened, in fact a wrench is still on the last one on the drivers side, I figure I'll get it when I do the motor mounts.

Check you PM's

northern 49 01-24-2016 08:14 PM

Mine worked out really well. Everything is really tight, but with a little help of a line up punch I was able to get everything lined up nicely. Hopefully you can get it figured out.

mobileortho 01-24-2016 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northern 49 (Post 7459880)
Mine worked out really well. Everything is really tight, but with a little help of a line up punch I was able to get everything lined up nicely. Hopefully you can get it figured out.

Which kit did you use?

northern 49 01-24-2016 10:04 PM

I used the speedway motors kit. Looks just like the one you are using. (See my picture in my reply above).

mobileortho 01-25-2016 11:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's an idea of the alignment issues I referenced.

mobileortho 01-25-2016 11:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And this

mobileortho 01-25-2016 11:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One more....sorry for the multiple posts. For some reason I can only do one at a time. I don't have a good feeling about this.

solidaxel 01-25-2016 11:43 PM

As a thought, could the frame have been "tweeked" before you started the tare down?

mobileortho 01-26-2016 12:01 AM

I guess it could have been, I don't know if that would cause these issues though, do you?