The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   "Slowly but Surely" Big J's build thread... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=264226)

Big J 11-18-2007 11:02 PM

Re: "Slowly but Surely" Big J's build thread...

3 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=72lb4x4;2448513]Sorry to barge in, but since the body's off could you do me a favor and snap some pics of one side of the ubolt/block/snubber/spring plate area of the rear end?QUOTE]

I think this is what your looking for.

Big J 11-18-2007 11:09 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I've about got the motor done. Put on a new oil pan, intake, dizzy, fuel pump and some other goodies. I should have it in and running tomorrow. Heres some pics of what I've got so far. The frame made a nice makeshift work bench:rolleyes:

72lb4x4 11-19-2007 02:54 PM

Perfect. Thanks!!

Big J 11-20-2007 12:00 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Got some more done today in between all the normal weekend fun. Got the flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate on. Dropped the motor in. Put in some new plugs and wires. I still don't have them quite like I want them though. I believe everyone has that problem, lol. Friggin' plug wires. I got the starter on and as soon as the gas hit the carb it fired right up. I giggled like a little kid.:lol: I've got a question. Does anyone know if the exhaust manifold bolts have to be a special bolt or can I use any old bolt? Grade 8 or 5 or?????? Someone told me that if you use a regular old bolt that they can't take the heat and would probably break when I try to take them out later on down the road. Heres some pics.

jaros44sr 11-20-2007 07:16 AM

Nice work!!! Must be great to hear it run, congrats.

Didn't know this, but Rokcrln said they are special bolts that are designed to stretch. If you find a set LMK, as I want to put a set in as well. J.

Big J 11-20-2007 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 2453454)
Nice work!!! Must be great to hear it run, congrats.

Didn't know this, but Rokcrln said they are special bolts that are designed to stretch. If you find a set LMK, as I want to put a set in as well. J.

Yeah, it was definitely good to hear it run. I had issues with the previous 350. Lots of issues, lol. Looked for some bolt kits online and came up with this:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

I'm still gonna call some local parts places and see what they come up with. Might be cheaper:rolleyes:

jaros44sr 11-20-2007 08:51 AM

Seems a little pricey, but it's a start. I have all 12 pt. ARP fastners so far, maybe I'll check them out. I also have to build the locking tabs to keep the bolts from backing out...

Man I wish I could hear mine run, I still have to build the exhaust and get my T/C back in then.... maybe vrooooom

FRENCHBLUE72 11-21-2007 04:57 PM

Looks great keep up the good work wish my blazer was in the rebuilding stage..

chipflyer 11-21-2007 07:51 PM

Good looking project, nice work!

Jeff

Big J 11-22-2007 08:25 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Few more things done. Got the core support on and radiator hooked up. Took a couple pieces of angle and braced it up so I don't have to worry about the fan getting into the shroud. Went ahead and put the other drivetrain together so I can mount it up on a pallet. Its about time to pull the chassis out and bring the body in.

5150 11-22-2007 08:34 PM

Looking good J

jamie72 11-22-2007 09:17 PM

put a bucket on it and take it for a spin!!

Big J 11-22-2007 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamie72 (Post 2457231)
put a bucket on it and take it for a spin!!

Yeah, I actually thought about trying something like that :lol:.:crazy: I figured I'd better spend my time workin' on the rest of it though instead of crashing what I've got done.:metal:

Big J 11-27-2007 07:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Had a busy day yesterday. Got the motor tuned in/up...... Hit the key and if fires right up everytime, I luv it! Got the tractor and boom out (man its great to have this stuff at my disposal). Stuck my other motor/tranny/x-case on a pallet and moved it out under the shed. Then I hooked up the chassis and with some help moved it under the shed. Gotta love the shed:lol:. We then pulled the other Blazer in. Yippie, time for body work! So far I'm still strippin' it. Got the doors, tailgate, and hatch off. I've still got a bunch of strippin' to do though. Dash, harness, air, column, brake booster, trim, lenses, etc. Then onto the cuttin'!

jaros44sr 11-27-2007 08:05 PM

Man, you sure have been busy. Sooooo, how much rust are you looking at, rockers and floors? Is the green body the one your using? J.

Big J 11-27-2007 08:39 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 2463562)
Man, you sure have been busy. Sooooo, how much rust are you looking at, rockers and floors? Is the green body the one your using? J.

Yep, I'm using the green body. Its going to be less work than the orange one. The rocker boxes are mostly intact. Some P.O. cut a big square out of each bottom of the box to put in some steps. They also cut the corners off of the wheel openings.:whine: Other than that its solid, except for a little bit of the floor pans and rockers. The windshield frame and bedsides are nice. I do have a large dent to pull on the drivers side but thats no biggie.

jaros44sr 11-27-2007 09:19 PM

Not to bad, I've seen worst. In my workshop:lol:

That 'B' post hides alot, whole bunch of layers there. Good luck on your build

vtblazer 11-28-2007 07:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Pretty typical pillar/rocker rust out but definitely fixable.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1196210307

Faced one similar to yours once myself. :rolleyes:

byrd 11-28-2007 08:34 PM

Man you sure are getten r dun :)
The blazer looks great!!! I really like the lift and the stance, rockin!!
It was nice to see you again, and god luck with the rest of the build.

I guess I really should get over here on the blaze board more often:rolleyes:

Big J 11-29-2007 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by byrd (Post 2465054)
Man you sure are getten r dun :)
The blazer looks great!!! I really like the lift and the stance, rockin!!
It was nice to see you again, and god luck with the rest of the build.

I guess I really should get over here on the blaze board more often:rolleyes:

Yep, fun stuff. It actually is relaxing to go over and work on the blazer. Thanks for the bumper! Now I just need a front one and a cowl hood and a grill and and and......:lol:

Big J 12-04-2007 11:02 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Had some fun this weekend... Went up to Alvin's and picked up a sweet set of doors. If anyone is in need of a cab or a SWB he's got some good stuff.
I worked on the blazer for awhile today. Still stripping... Got the heater box, column, dash, wiper motor, and the lenses off. On to the pics...

jaros44sr 12-05-2007 05:42 AM

That tub looks really nice, good progress! Do you have your new patches yet? Nice workshop ya got... J.

Big J 12-05-2007 09:02 AM

I have most of what I need but theres still a couple things to pick up. The tubs in pretty good shape, still alot of work to do though, lol..... Well the workshops not mine. I help build it and it is right across the yard. Its my neighbors..... I've outfitted it with all my tools, I get free use of the shop, he gets use of my air and mig.... Real nice people.

jaros44sr 12-05-2007 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big J (Post 2473604)
I have most of what I need but theres still a couple things to pick up. The tubs in pretty good shape, still alot of work to do though, lol..... Well the workshops not mine. I help build it and it is right across the yard. Its my neighbors..... I've outfitted it with all my tools, I get free use of the shop, he gets use of my air and mig.... Real nice people.

Nice to have good neighbors, real important!! What kind of stuff does he work on?

Big J 12-07-2007 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 2473629)
Nice to have good neighbors, real important!! What kind of stuff does he work on?

He likes to tinker. We just built a winch mount and a plow mount for his sons atv and finished up the brake lines and gas tank on his wifes S10. Now hes tearing down a tractor and fixing the guard on his mowing machine. The shop moto is if its broke we can fix it, or make the problem worse then bring in someone who knows how, lol......