The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   CPP front shock brackets....who's had problems with them? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=402507)

CPPJEFF 05-21-2010 11:16 AM

Re: CPP front shock brackets....who's had problems with them?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dznucks (Post 3988222)
Let's do this.....

Before Jeff sends me another pair.....Can some one, with an stock, original condition frame like mine, measure the angle between their frame and the face of the shock hoop?

I used a dry-wall angle finder to mimic the angle, then used a protractor to measure that angle of the dry-wall angle finder. Look at the first pic...that angle.

I dont claim to know how perfect my frame is. Both sides measure 135 deg.
I'd like to know if my frame is off, or if its right.

Hey bro i have my show 67 chassis in the showroom and it has a set already on it but i will take them off and try a set today before i send them to you..

N2TRUX 05-21-2010 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dznucks (Post 3988222)
.... I'd like to know if my frame is off, or if its right.

I got a buck that says its both. I'll bet that it's just GM tolerances at work again.

my67chevytruck 05-21-2010 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CPPJEFF (Post 3989309)
Hey bro i have my show 67 chassis in the showroom and it has a set already on it but i will take them off and try a set today before i send them to you..

I have a '67 in the garage, i can test the brackets for fitment..... :metal:

I have to agree with Ken as well, the tolerances are not 100% between all frames.....

CPPJEFF 05-21-2010 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my67chevytruck (Post 3989355)
I have a '67 in the garage, i can test the brackets for fitment..... :metal:

I have to agree with Ken as well, the tolerances are not 100% between all frames.....

I agree with the 2nd statement 1000% . They are all a little different.

dznucks 05-21-2010 02:39 PM

Quote:

I got a buck that says its both. I'll bet that it's just GM tolerances at work again.
well if thats the case, there is no point to Jeff sending me another set.

Its an easy enough fix for me to open them up in the vise to fit my angle. If i have another set, thats just like the ones i have, that doesnt get me anywhere.

CPPJEFF 05-21-2010 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dznucks (Post 3989588)
well if thats the case, there is no point to Jeff sending me another set.

Its an easy enough fix for me to open them up in the vise to fit my angle. If i have another set, thats just like the ones i have, that doesnt get me anywhere.

It makes no difference to me i am just willing to try and help rectify this.:metal:

dznucks 05-21-2010 05:57 PM

Jeff, i appreciate the gesture, but you cant rectify an issue if its not your (CPP's) fault. I really dont need another set of these brackets unless they are different.

That's why i asked you in my PM what the engineering calls this angle out to be. Surely somewhere at CPP you have a design drawing that you give to your vendors so they can bid on and build the part for you.

If these parts are made in-house, you would have the same drawing somewhere.

It may be easier for you to send me another set, than to go find and read a blueprint. But another set of brackets that arent going to fit my frame is a waste of CPP's inventory and shipping costs.

CPPJEFF 05-24-2010 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dznucks (Post 3989920)
Jeff, i appreciate the gesture, but you cant rectify an issue if its not your (CPP's) fault. I really dont need another set of these brackets unless they are different.

That's why i asked you in my PM what the engineering calls this angle out to be. Surely somewhere at CPP you have a design drawing that you give to your vendors so they can bid on and build the part for you.

If these parts are made in-house, you would have the same drawing somewhere.

It may be easier for you to send me another set, than to go find and read a blueprint. But another set of brackets that arent going to fit my frame is a waste of CPP's inventory and shipping costs.

Ok bro sorry for not getting back to you on friday i was slammed. Yes the brackets are different depending on what shock studs are used, the ones on my frame are bent different than the ones you got but they run a different shock stud. I will gladly send you a new set of brackets and studs and we will get this bad boy on the road. Thanks and let me know.

Tony@AirRideTech 05-24-2010 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CPPJEFF (Post 3989376)
I agree with the 2nd statement 1000% . They are all a little different.

I agree 2000%.... I would bolt the ***** on and go. As far as preloading the bracket and stud and bolting it together, I wouldnt get overly concerned with it. When you tighten it down it shoud suck it all together. As far as deflating it and worrying about loading it up even worse... I hate to tell you but if your shock is bottoming out before the bags or the bumpstop.... it wont matter cause it will eventually rip that mount out anyway.

CPPJEFF 05-24-2010 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony@AirRideTech (Post 3994198)
I agree 2000%.... I would bolt the ***** on and go. As far as preloading the bracket and stud and bolting it together, I wouldnt get overly concerned with it. When you tighten it down it shoud suck it all together. As far as deflating it and worrying about loading it up even worse... I hate to tell you but if your shock is bottoming out before the bags or the bumpstop.... it wont matter cause it will eventually rip that mount out anyway.

I 3000% agree with Tony!! Looks like i won!! I have the most percentage :lol:

dznucks 05-24-2010 01:01 PM

Quote:

Yes the brackets are different depending on what shock studs are used,
This is new to me. I didnt realize there were different shock studs on these 1/2 tons trucks. I assumed they were all the same. Are you telling me CPP has different brackets? What is the difference? And how do i tell which ones fit my truck? your catalog only offers one set.

The shocks will not bottom out when I air out. I have 10" between mounting bolts and the shocks go to 9.6" compressed.

Quote:

When you tighten it down it shoud suck it all together.
Your basically telling me to preload a joint which will cause a similar problem that the part is designed to prevent. If the weight of the trucks will crack the frame in this location, preloading the stud with the amount of force thats required to bend a 1/4" plate is definitely going to cause a problem. I cannot get these part to sit correctly to mark the holes for drilling.
Quote:

bolt the ***** on and go.
.......Isnt going to happen.

So if we are measuring the BS in the thousands of %, I disagree 5000%.
you guys sound like randy off american idol.

CPPJEFF 05-24-2010 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dznucks (Post 3994391)
This is new to me. I didnt realize there were different shock studs on these 1/2 tons trucks. I assumed they were all the same. Are you telling me CPP has different brackets? What is the difference? And how do i tell which ones fit my truck? your catalog only offers one set.

The shocks will not bottom out when I air out. I have 10" between mounting bolts and the shocks go to 9.6" compressed.

Your basically telling me to preload a joint which will cause a similar problem that the part is designed to prevent. If the weight of the trucks will crack the frame in this location, preloading the stud with the amount of force thats required to bend a 1/4" plate is definitely going to cause a problem. I cannot get these part to sit correctly to mark the holes for drilling. .......Isnt going to happen.

So if we are measuring the BS in the thousands of %, I disagree 5000%.
you guys sound like randy off american idol.

Yes there are different shock studs than factory that they provide with the shocks when you buy them. I Used these bracket on my show frame and they were off like 5 degrees, with a different shockstud that the were made around they were a great fit. Truthfully i think guys either "a" have the right shock studs or "b" they just tighten up and pull the bracket in. Either way i will gladly send you a new set of studs and brackets to take care of this. Also Randy on American Idol calls girls "dog" and i have never called a girl my "dog". :lol: Thats a classic, thanks for the laugh!!

dznucks 05-24-2010 03:32 PM

Is this different stud canted or bent? If not its the frame that is dictating the angle so they may not help.

If you think they will work, you can send them and i will try them out. If they dont work, I'll send them back. If they do i will send you the ones i have back.

Quote:

Randy on American Idol calls girls "dog" and i have never called a girl my "dog".
that's so true. :lol: they need to send him to speech school so the words that come out of his mouth make sense.

i hate how he always says..."one thousand a million percent yes, your going to Hollywood." or something like that......not that i watch american idol.....by choice.

CPPJEFF 05-24-2010 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dznucks (Post 3994581)
Is this different stud canted or bent? If not its the frame that is dictating the angle so they may not help.

If you think they will work, you can send them and i will try them out. If they dont work, I'll send them back. If they do i will send you the ones i have back.

that's so true. :lol: they need to send him to speech school so the words that come out of his mouth make sense.

i hate how he always says..."one thousand a million percent yes, your going to Hollywood." or something like that......not that i watch american idol.....by choice.

No sweat bro, let me send you a set of both and we can try and we will kind of do a little editorial for the site. What is your first and last name and zip code so i can look you up in the system? Also Randy is a total Buster on American Idol, not that i ever watch it either.....:lol:

Tony@AirRideTech 05-24-2010 05:53 PM

"The shocks will not bottom out when I air out. I have 10" between mounting bolts and the shocks go to 9.6" compressed."

Thats Money.... like mine on a craps table....

CPPJEFF 05-24-2010 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony@AirRideTech (Post 3994781)
"The shocks will not bottom out when I air out. I have 10" between mounting bolts and the shocks go to 9.6" compressed."

Thats Money.... like mine on a craps table....

Another Classic!! I just booked a flight to Atlantic City!!:lol:

Burb 05-24-2010 06:11 PM

Well Jeff for the record, mine fit perfect, I only had to drill the lower hole on each of mine ... I was a bit concerned before the install because the shock mount is usually one of those areas that 3/4 tons are different, but good match. Thnx CPP:metal:

SCOTI 05-24-2010 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CPPJEFF (Post 3994720)
No sweat bro, let me send you a set of both and we can try and we will kind of do a little editorial for the site. What is your first and last name and zip code so i can look you up in the system? Also Randy is a total Buster on American Idol, not that i ever watch it either.....:lol:

Wouldn't it work to just send him the 'correct' studs for the brackets?

dznucks 05-25-2010 07:01 AM

PM sent, Jeff.

If there really are different shock studs and brackets for these trucks, i agree...
Quote:

we will kind of do a little editorial for the site.

Quote:

I actually mis-stated this. I installed the Race Car Dynamics Bilsteins, 55-R060's. They have a 9.8" compressed length and 14.6 extended. Before i installed my bumpstops i had 10" compressed (aired out, tires fouling hard in the wheel wells) and 14" extended. With the bumpstops in its really more like 10 1/4" compressed.

I highly recommend these shocks, a bit pricey, but they are worth it. Jeff, doesnt CPP sell these?

http://www.racecardynamics.com/class...ag/airride.htm

CPPJEFF 05-25-2010 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dznucks (Post 3995897)
PM sent, Jeff.

If there really are different shock studs and brackets for these trucks, i agree...

I actually mis-stated this. I installed the Race Car Dynamics Bilsteins, 55-R060's. They have a 9.8" compressed length and 14.6 extended. Before i installed my bumpstops i had 10" compressed (aired out, tires fouling hard in the wheel wells) and 14" extended. With the bumpstops in its really more like 10 1/4" compressed.

I highly recommend these shocks, a bit pricey, but they are worth it. Jeff, doesnt CPP sell these?

http://www.racecardynamics.com/class...ag/airride.htm

Yes we offer the entire Bilstien shock line and yes at $90.00 a shock they are a bit spendy but its a twin tube shock and and is in a whole different playing field than all other shocks.

chevy_mike 05-25-2010 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CPPJEFF (Post 3996160)
Yes we offer the entire Bilstien shock line and yes at $90.00 a shock they are a bit spendy but its a twin tube shock and and is in a whole different playing field than all other shocks.

Not to burst anyone's bubble but Bilstein's are NOT twin tube. Never have, never will be. They are a mono tube shock. A very good friend of mine is the R&D manager at Bilstein and has built me many custom shocks over the years, including a set for my '68 I had 10 years ago. I run Bilstein's on everything I can. About the best out there.

dznucks 05-26-2010 06:58 AM

I think Jeff meant to say mono-tube, not twin tube. The mono-tube allows the use of a bigger valve inside the shock, which gives it better performance, especially for our heavy old trucks.

Steve at Race Car Dynamics told me that RCD designed the valving and Bilstein makes them for them. How true that is...I dont know. I have the bilsteins up front and I am still running cheap Monroe Sense-a-Tracs in the back. I can really tell the difference and will soon be putting the RCD Bilsteins in the back.

Jeff is sending me the different brackets and studs. I will see if this helps my situation......

CPPJEFF 05-26-2010 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 3994852)
Wouldn't it work to just send him the 'correct' studs for the brackets?

Yes it would but i want to make sure he has everything so i just sent them both.:metal:

CPPJEFF 05-26-2010 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevy_mike (Post 3996253)
Not to burst anyone's bubble but Bilstein's are NOT twin tube. Never have, never will be. They are a mono tube shock. A very good friend of mine is the R&D manager at Bilstein and has built me many custom shocks over the years, including a set for my '68 I had 10 years ago. I run Bilstein's on everything I can. About the best out there.

Thats what i meant MONO TUBE i had my mind on something else when i was typing this, sorry for the confusion, i am starting to get overwhelmed with the 80 phones ringing allday long and all of the other things going on. Thanks for the correction you are 100% correct.

19Chevy67C10 11-21-2012 02:30 AM

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I ordered these same brackets and I'm having the same issues. I contacted Jeff and he didn't get back to me for 2 weeks, So I emailed him again about this issue and ask if he had gotten with Danny as he cc'd the first email to Danny! Well my out come isn't what I was expecting to hear after offering to send these back. Here's the how to fix the issue I got from Jeff that Danny supposedly told him to tell me to do! I think this was discussed in this thread that what I'm being told to do is put my frame in stress and that is what these brackets were designed to eliminate right?

I'm also having issue's with the 1''-2'' front drop black magic shocks the bushing doesn't fit into the lower stock control arms. I just need to get these pressed out without damaging them and face them off about 1/8''-3/16'' to get them to slide into the lower control arm shock mount....Need Help SOS.... Also I got all CPP Tubuler rear kit I'm thinking about letting go of and going with Early Classic Enterprises stuff instead....

Kevin I spoke to Danny and he said that what you want to do is bolt them in place but leave all bolts loose at first, don’t tighten down one side first rather tighten all bolts down in sequence and you should be fine. Does this make sense what I am saying??

Jeff Norton

Classic Performance Products, Inc.

www.classicperform.com

And here is a copy of the email I sent Jeff regauarding the shocks and the shock support bracket!

Hey bro,

I am having this issue with the shock brackets. What do you need me to measure or do you want me to send them back? They appear to be the same as the ones in the thread below off the 67-72chevytrucks web site!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=402507

I had my stock arms powder coated and am having issue's with the front 1-2'' drop shocks as well, the poly bushings do not fit in the lower control arm shock bracket at all, I would have to bend them out of wack to get the shocks to fit and I mean way out of wack to the tune of the stock lower measuring out at 1.330 and the poly bushings measuring out at 1.455-1.460, I checked both ends using a 6'' Brown & Sharpe dial caliper! So some how were off .130 or let just say for grins about 1/8'' of an inch. And even at that you could still machine them a bit smaller for clearance purposes.

I was a machinist by trade so I don't see this stuff going un-noticed by others whom have bought CPP products! I have bought well over 2,000 worth of stuff from CPP for my build and just want things to be right. I can press out the bushings and machine them to the proper length but is this very common for someone to have to alter/change a part that is brand spanking new?

If you need any pictures I can either post them on the board or email whatever you would need to get this fixed! I can even take measurements and send you a print from AutoCad or even a CNC lathe simple facing and turning program or I can even make one for that little Haas Mill CPP has! I used to run a Haas VF-4 and 5 so just let me know bro! I will send all this stuff back if you want bro. And no I'm not pissed off just trying to get it right seems to take more than what it's worth sometimes if you get my drift. I had planned on buying CPP Arms and the Big Disk Brake setup for the front and rear but damn if I had problems in such a small area and it seems to be such a hassle.I would assume it would be much eaiser to go back stock! Being a Class A Machinist I would strongly measure this stuff before ever marketing it in fear of a bad name especially the little petty stuff thats as simple as using a cheap pair of dial calipers for the "shock'' bushings or a cheap protractor for the shock support brackets!

I don't really know bro, I'm leaving this up to you and I know your word is as good as gold in my book.

Peace and God Bless,

Kev C.

-----Original Message-----
To:
Sent: Mon, Oct 29, 2012 9:05 am
Subject: RE: 1967 C-10 shock support brackets?

Kevin very very odd! I remember that problem a long time ago. I am out of the office this week for the Sema show in Vegas we will gladly send you another set but I would measure them with the salesman because you might get the exact same thing the second time around.

Jeff Norton

Classic Performance Products, Inc.

www.classicperform.com

P 714 522-2000

F 714 522-2500

Have you read the latest on CPP? Check out our blog!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Saturday, October 27, 2012 5:45 PM
To: Jeff Norton
Subject: 1967 C-10 shock support brackets?

Jeff,

I talked to you before ordering these and had concern about the angle being wrong or the 2 types of shock studs being different not allowing these to work on our year model trucks.I had mentioned this to you because of another board members problem with them on the 67-72ChevyTrucks.com. Bro you told me that CPP messed up on a bunch of them and the problem had been corrected.

The one's I got are wrong. I would have to bend the bracket to make it work. Could you please send me the correct one's as these do not workt ake pictures if you want but the brackets measure out at 50 degrees with my L.S Starrett Protractor! I don't know if this info would help you or not. So I'm taking it that CPP didn't toss all the bad ones in stock?

Thanks and God Bless,

Kev C.

I really like the quality of most the stuff from CPP and was actully really considering buying their big brake kit for the front/rear of my build and buying the tubuler upper and lowers but have lost faith in the products they sell due to what I said earlier about the small stuff being so hard to get right and getting ahold of Jeff is like pulling my teeth it's damn near impossible....IDK maybe Danny N is Jeff's boss but I seriously would listen to the customer especially when they have 2,000+ worth of CPP's product going into a build...But I guess the money isn't nothing to a big Mfg company as I know from experiance once the money is their's they don't care if the product works or not! So tighten all CPP's stuff in a numerical sequence and it should work! if not it's your truck that is the only different one and we can't warranty a cracked frame you had powder-coated and spent countless hours preping for the powder!