The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   1972 Highlander -The making of a daily driver (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=517157)

Low Elco 04-19-2012 12:43 PM

Re: 1972 Highlander -The making of a daily driver

Ps- if you're relying on MY support and advice, then you are truly a lost and desperate soul, sir. But thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

Tinkermc 04-19-2012 02:16 PM

A REAL INTERESTING READ AND YOU SEEM VERY CLOSE TO HAVING A DAILY DRIVER. sorry about the screaming. would be nice to have both running

Jonboy 04-19-2012 02:20 PM

Looking good, Wade!

BruthaMan 04-19-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 5324021)
Ps- if you're relying on MY support and advice, then you are truly a lost and desperate soul, sir. But thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

Don't underestimate my ability to screw things up! I like to think I'm Bob Villa, but in reality, I'm really more like Tim "The Toolman" Taylor. Your advice and has been a motivator and appreciated.

When that video gets here, I'm going to sit down and get it figured out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinkermc (Post 5324129)
A REAL INTERESTING READ AND YOU SEEM VERY CLOSE TO HAVING A DAILY DRIVER. sorry about the screaming. would be nice to have both running

Thanks! Hopefully in short term. I have more money than I'd ever care to admit tied up in Pancho.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonboy (Post 5324142)
Looking good, Wade!

Thanks Jonboy. Good to see you again, it's been a long time! You doing ok?

-----------------------------------

So, we pulled vacuum on the system. First attempt, when we shut the pump off, it swung back over to zero within a few seconds. Went back through and checked all connections (or I thought), tried it again. Same things. Checked fittings on gauge, all good.

The one thing I didn't check was the input connection to the POA valve. Sure enough, it was not tightened down (way off). Tightened it up, ran vacuum again, and so far holding. Came back in to post and update while giving the pump time to sit and make sure vacuum holds.

Will post pics later today. Fingers crossed for me, I'll take any luck I can get!

Tinkermc 04-19-2012 05:03 PM

looking very nice

Truckseats 04-19-2012 05:55 PM

Nice install! Those look great in your truck.

BruthaMan 04-19-2012 07:51 PM

Thanks, guys!

As usual, I probably overanalyzed the task of AC, but...that's quintessential "me." Bookmarks, notes, links to pages...I wanted to know how to do this and I wanted to understand. And it "clicked" today and I'm left wondering why I didn't take time out years ago to to learn this.

It's not hard. You need the gauges, you need a pump (and that's probably what kept me from doing it years ago, because I was a tight wad and wouldn't part with a dime save Mother Teresa). You need to know pressures, which side is high, which side is low. Over the years, I've learned that sometimes you just have to buy the right tools to save a dime in the long run.

So let's start the photos. First up, I used this refrigerant:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...k/DSCN0128.jpg

Don't everyone rush out and start buying this yet! It's an "r134a replacment" and since I plan on keeping this truck, and doing this work myself, I decided to use it. It was leftover from a 1992 S10 Blazer restoration (not photos on that one) I did last year, and never did put this in. I'll keep the post updated on how this stuff works. It can also go directly into R12 systems without flushing, as well as r134a(though I did flush the sytem really well just to be ultra-safe), and is supposed to get colder than r12. We'll see.

Next, I hooked up the gauges and the air pump (cheapo HF, but they worked pretty good).

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...k/DSCN0122.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...k/DSCN0123.jpg

Blue to low side, red to high side.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...k/DSCN0127.jpg

Pulled a second vacuum on the system after we determined a loose fitting.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...k/DSCN0124.jpg

The instructions for ES-12a say NOT to fill with a vacuum of more than 10, so I let the vacuum out slowly, then proceed to first add the leak stop (even though we didn't have any system leaks) just in case.

That went fine. Then added one can of ES-12a on the low side. That went fine. Started the truck up, turned on AC and set the fan to high. Amazingly, that went fine, and the compressor kicked on! Can you feel the excitement? I was proud as could be!

For the second can, I had the truck started with AC on and fan to high. *That one* didn't go so smooth. Apparently when I attached the can/hose to the quick connect plug I added to the low side, it didn't make good connection and popped off. I lost that can of refrigerant!

And so, that's the bad news. I added the third can which was really the second can, but it wasn't getting cold enough.

The good news is, it did start getting cool! God only knows how long it's been since cool air by an AC has run through this old truck.

So I ordered some more refrigerant which probably won't be in until next week. One more can should cover it. Low side read about 33, high side read about 170-80. Both should be a little higher.

Might take a break tomorrow. Really just minor stuff now. I may drive the truck around a little tomorrow (without AC on, want to wait and get proper charge on it before using it).

chevy71c10 04-21-2012 08:27 PM

Nice looking build, looking forward to seeing the completed pics!! Great job!
Posted via Mobile Device

Low Elco 04-22-2012 03:23 PM

Well? Awesome progress! May have some of my own, if my ulcer don't burst!

Tinkermc 04-22-2012 07:39 PM

looks good enjoy the drive

Low Elco 04-30-2012 11:56 PM

HEY Wade! Did it get cold? Are ya alive? Don't keep us in suspense!

BruthaMan 05-02-2012 06:43 PM

Got cooler, but I could not get it down to a reasonable temp. About 59 at the evaporator core (took the cover off to clean it out).

For now, I've been driving it some (without AC). We're already getting mid to upper 90s here.

I have some more pics, but have not made time to upload them yet. Will update more, soon.

Low Elco 05-28-2012 02:05 AM

DUUUUUUUUDE, you alive or did the heat get ya? Hope all are well.

BruthaMan 05-28-2012 08:08 PM

I'm good, buddy!

Took some time off, had to order parts and takes a while to get here.

We tore the entire ac system out, found more birds nests. Ordered a new condensor and drier in anticipation of going back to r12. Got it *all* back together, sealed, vacuumed and added in some r12. Was starting to cool, then the clutch on the AC started squealing. It had done that before and was supposed to be a brand new compressor (back was sealed) when I bought the truck.

So, living in a world where every step forward requires 4-5 steps backwards, I bought a new compressor clutch. Not nearly as hard as I thought it would be.

Hooked it all back up, and compressor squeal and it would start locking up. Adjusted belts, tinkered, no luck. I'm guessing the compressor is, or is just about to lock.

Was going to get a Pro6Ten compressor and was looking on Ebay and came across a NOS AC/Delco compressor for our trucks. It was minus the clutch (Oddly enough, I suddenly have a new clutch ready to use!), so I bit the bullet.

It will probably be another week before the last of the things get here. I'm determined to get the AC working.

I've taken some pics of things as I've moved along, but it's mostly been "miserable" the past few weeks trying to finish up. Not many rewards.

You doing ok?

Low Elco 05-28-2012 10:30 PM

Nothing like banging your head against a wall just because it feels so good when you stop! I'm good, better when I get some MIG gas tomorrow!
Posted via Mobile Device

omodified 06-22-2012 11:08 AM

keeping an eye on this one...

Low Elco 06-22-2012 11:24 AM

So are the rest of us! What's up, Wade? Are you "chillin'" as it were? Have you defeated the evil squeak? Hope you're good!
Posted via Mobile Device

BruthaMan 06-22-2012 06:55 PM

Hey guys. Yeah, been "chillin'" trying to avoid this heat! I called around to several shops in the area to see if they still did r12. No luck. Ran an ad in local CL and did get one bite, but never heard back on follow-up.

The squeak was definitely from high pressure. When adding r12, with engine at 1500-2000, after letting off idle, low side would go from 30 psi up to 60+. Was at that point when low side pressure went up, that the belt would start squealing again.

I read somewhere that fluctuation like that could be the expansion valve. The expansion valve is new, however, it is aftermarket. In fact, it's the only non-original part. So I picked up a rebuilt one off Ebay. Waiting for it to come in.

Going to give it one more try when that gets here.

New HD light relay on the way. Found some original GM floor mats on Ebay. They are "generic" but have the GM logo and black.

Picked up some new replacement heater/ac cables from Old Air products. I tried to save the original ones and lubed the heck out of them with spray lube, but they are stiff and it's a struggle to get the AC levers to move.

We've been working on the upper/lower trim in spare time. Using paint stripper to get the anodized clear off, but the anodize seems to be winning. That stuff is amazingly resistant to anything we've thrown at it, including drain unclogger (seen that recommended several times). What seems to work best is, die grinder with 180 grit to get the anodizing off, followed by 600 grit, followed by 1500 grit. Then hit it on the buffing wheel.

I'll take some pics of the trim pieces. They are coming out really nice. Already have flat black paint to spray with. Need to get some flat clear. Have all the clips as well. Just time consuming in getting it cleaned/polished.

skoolbusyeller72 06-22-2012 09:18 PM

I use freeze 12 ,its a sub for r12 and it works great, wont need to change the fittings to 134a and i buy it at my local napa.. great looking truck by the way .

asmith1923 08-31-2012 07:17 AM

BrutgaMan you've got me on the edge of my set here. Please keep posting, I'm dying to hear how the AC story ends. And more...
Posted via Mobile Device

70monte 08-31-2012 10:46 AM

One of the mistakes you made is using leak sealer. That stuff will mess up your system. It wasn't needed since you installed all new O-rings.

The POA valve could also be your problem. They can be troublesome, especially if it is original. There is a way to test them but I have forgotten the procedure. Good luck.

Wayne

Low Elco 08-31-2012 12:48 PM

Yeah, what they said! You alive, BMan?
Posted via Mobile Device

Tinkermc 08-31-2012 01:28 PM

I am sure that you can fiqure this out, just 1 of lifes PITAs, reading in earlier post you said there was a headache or ache and pain that Tylenol would not help. Try what I use, called Makers Mark. Available where you buy spirits. I can't say it would ease the pain but it makes it so you just don't care anymore

BruthaMan 09-03-2012 10:58 PM

Hey Guys!

Low Elco, thanks for the PM. Have not been on in a while. I absolutely detest the heat and there is simply no escaping it here in San Angelo. We're about ten miles from hell!

I've mostly been driving and enjoying the truck, though I try to do so early in the morning or late in the evenings. It's such a pleasure to drive! For a while, I had received more compliments from women on the truck (which really surprised me) than men, but that's quickly changed.

My son and I went out for a fishing trip this morning (first time I've been fishing in 15 years or so), and some guys stopped by to talk about the truck. It was a welcome conversation because we were not catching a thing (nor did we!). Was still fun to get out, get away, and clear the mind.

AC Update: My wife has mentioned several times now, "wouldn't it be less expensive to just take it to a shop?" Truth is, in hindsight, it most certainly would have. But, I've learned a lot over the months. Sadly, it's still not working...though I got to a point where I just "{Well, you know that bad word}...IT."

I bought another POA valve and we tested it against the other original one I had, and both showed identical readings with the POA valve tester I had rigged together.

So here's where we are: I've ordered a POA eliminator valve. I have the new Pro6Ten compressor in now, and we're going to disassemble everything one more time, flush everything (again), new o-rings (again), flush the compressor, new oil and give it one more go.

Comment regarding leak seal additive. That was done on attempt one. There have been several attempts since then and in subsequent attempts, no leak product was used. You are spot on with the advice! I've read so many posts regarding leak seal products in AC units.

Tinkermc, I hear ya on the Makers Mark. Life presents me with more than my fare share of reasons to indulge in it, but it has taken a toll on some very close relatives (along with drugs), so I've kept a fair distance from both. I may drink a beer once a year, at most.

Appreciate everyone's kind comments, help and concerns. Probably won't have new parts in till end of week, first of next week. I'll update as we make progress.

Low Elco 09-04-2012 04:46 AM

Ten miles from hell, BAHAHAHAHA! I'm stealing that one. Glad to hear all are well, and good luck with the AC!
Posted via Mobile Device