The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Black Betty - How it all started (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=538749)

piratexpress1369a 08-18-2012 09:31 PM

Re: Black Betty - How it all started

great find ..very cool truck

Lowry 09-01-2012 02:54 PM

Good lookin truck. Do you have the stock rear end under your truck with new 5 lug axles? If so, do you have any issues with the 18" wheels?
Posted via Mobile Device

LDO 09-02-2012 08:40 PM

oops, sorry for not replying sooner. Yes, 5 lugs on stock 12 bolt. No issues but I know the backspacing is critical. I will try to measure the backspacing in the morning. I can't remember for sure what they are.

dougf 09-02-2012 08:57 PM

Just read the thread, love that truck. It's so nice! I would love to have picked it up, but probably wouldnt have because the price would scare me away ;) Would you mind giving us a ballpark figure of what you paid? I have been to Fort Bragg a few times for training, never seen anything like that rolling around Fayetteville though! :metal:

Delmo 09-02-2012 09:13 PM

Lovin it.

Lowry 09-02-2012 09:26 PM

Thank you LDO.
Posted via Mobile Device

austin60c10 09-02-2012 09:56 PM

Awesome story and truck, as stated above thank you for your service we live near a base and uniformed soldiers are always surprised when my 8 yr old tells them thank you for keeping us safe!
Posted via Mobile Device

LDO 09-16-2012 08:42 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Took her out today for some pictures.

Enjoy....

LostMy65 09-16-2012 09:12 PM

I nominated you:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543205
Posted via Mobile Device

LDO 09-16-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostMy65 (Post 5596115)
I nominated you:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543205
Posted via Mobile Device

cool, thanks...

likaroc13 09-17-2012 01:59 AM

Cool pics...Where'd you take them? You should take some cool beach (or beach sunset) pics...I always wanted to take some near the Naval Museum as well, with the plane(s) in the background...Fort Pickens or the lighthouse would make a cool backdrop as well

oh, and good luck in the TOTM contest :)

Iron-Butt 09-17-2012 05:26 AM

Nice truck. Nice pictures.

darkhorse970 09-17-2012 06:59 AM

Cool ride, I like it alot!

LDO 09-17-2012 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by likaroc13 (Post 5596657)
Cool pics...Where'd you take them? You should take some cool beach (or beach sunset) pics...I always wanted to take some near the Naval Museum as well, with the plane(s) in the background...Fort Pickens or the lighthouse would make a cool backdrop as well

oh, and good luck in the TOTM contest :)

These were taken in Molino Florida. Not too far from the house. They still distribute grain and feed there. We'll head to the beach and take more pics soon. We've got similar pictures of the wife's 57 stepside and it would be cool to have them of the 66 as well.

chakah 09-17-2012 08:02 AM

yup.....that is bad ass!!!!

Andyboy 09-17-2012 02:22 PM

Great story. Truck looks killer also.:metal:

LDO 09-19-2012 07:09 AM

My son leaves for USMC bootcamp soon and leaving his car with me. Now I can give my daily driver a rest while I do some upgrades like: under bed tank, new guages, total rewire, etc. :clap:
To be continued....

lolife99 09-19-2012 07:49 AM

Subscribing.
I want a 64-66 truck,...

LDO 09-23-2012 06:22 PM

Boyd tank install

I was hoping to have a bunch of pictures but I was solo on this upgrade and to be honest, it was a pretty smooth deal.

Here's what I started with:
Boyd's tank non-efi, some russel fuel line, a K&N breather/vent, some hose ends and a 0-90 ohm fuel guage I picked up at O'reily's. I'm planning on a future guage panel install/upgrade so I picked up a temp unit that would work with the sending unit already installed in the tank.

I also picked up a bed fill hose section and flush mount filler from CPP. 90 degree 1/2 npt to hose barb fitting was picked up at my local Reynolds hardware store. Need to make sure you don't get one that is too big as it sits right inside the bed cross sill.

The install was pretty easy even with the bed wood already installed. I already had 3 holes on each of my frame rails so I just made a template of the rails and marked the tank flanges where I needed to drill. A little rough getting a wrench on the bolt head but I was able to tighten everything down properly. I ran a brand new wire from the sending unit and piggy backed it to my speedo cable and brought it into the cab that way. Also grounded the other sending unit terminal to a nearby frame ground.

I removed the in-cab tank and my new fuel line clamped onto the rigid line in the same spot as the old rubber hose section. I also plugged up the hole in the floor with a plug and some RTV. New fuel line ran inside the frame and was clamped every few inches with a 90 degree AN6 fitting.

The 1 1/2 inch fuel hose from CPP wasn't very flexible so it won't tolerate too much variance on where you drill the hole for the fill port. I was able to make it work though.

Took her out for a spin and filled up the tank. No leaks, everything is good and tight. It's nice to finally know how much gas I've got and no fuel smell!

Sorry I didn't take any detailed pics of the install but if anyone needs a specific pic, just ask.

Here are the pics I do have.
All the goodies:
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...psac589314.jpg

Black anodized bed fill.
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...ps5d47e291.jpg

likaroc13 09-23-2012 07:01 PM

can you take a pic from behind & underneath, just so I can see how much it hangs down? thanks

LDO 09-23-2012 07:06 PM

sure, it will have to be tomorrow as the truck is back in the garage and it won't be a good pic. I will tell you that my truck has 5 inch drop springs in the rear and a roll pan and it is not visible unless you bend down and look up. I'm very happy with the way it looks for sure!

likaroc13 09-23-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDO (Post 5608448)
sure, it will have to be tomorrow as the truck is back in the garage and it won't be a good pic. I will tell you that my truck has 5 inch drop springs in the rear and a roll pan and it is not visible unless you bend down and look up. I'm very happy with the way it looks for sure!

no problem, I can wait...sounds like it fits nicely though! my dad's truck doesn't have a rear bumper or roll pan, but he was thinking about adding a roll pan...so that would give him an idea how it looks :)

1enick72 09-23-2012 07:24 PM

What are the dimensions on the tank?

LDO 09-23-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1enick72 (Post 5608488)
What are the dimensions on the tank?

read thru this, I think the dimensions are here.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=362307

LDO 09-24-2012 10:14 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures of the tank. Sorry, cell phone pics are all I could get for now but they show it pretty good.

1st pic is a level view from the rear. 2nd I tilted the phone a little more. The next two are the view from the side. Last picture you can sort of make out the 90 fitting I used.

Here are the specs on the tank:
Carburated Application
Tank Dimensions: 26.5 x 19 x 10
Tank Material: .125 Aluminum
1/2" NPT Vent
3/8" NPT Return
3/8" NPT Draw
2 Baffles
Approx 19 Gallons

I am very pleased with the quality of the tank as well as my transacation with Travis from Pro Performance. I spoke with him and Dave Boyd and they answered all my questions and had great customer service.