The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Zane's Ride (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=560166)

McMurphy 01-14-2013 09:49 PM

Re: Zane's Ride

I really enjoyed our conversation the other night ZM, and I certainly look forward to speaking with Bronze and meeting everyone!

I too have some spare parts, some new and some used that I will not be needing.

At this time I guess the question to Bronze is what direction will this build be going (unless I missed it somewhere)?
Will this be a full-on back to factory restoration, or will it be a semi or full mod build?

cortcomp 01-14-2013 10:04 PM

Side note mcmurphy, nice tempest! I have a 66 cat and a 71 tempest...love them ponchos!

Zane'sMom 01-15-2013 01:09 AM

Check out the Zane's Ride Build album in my gallery

63sbssbbw 01-15-2013 07:51 AM

Nice pics ZM,,with the 3 trucks you've got,
It looks like there could be many possibilities on which direction one could go.
The "64" appears to be 4wd,being in Alaska that's certainly a viable option.
BTW that appears to also be a '63,unless it has the "X" inside the frame making it a '60-'62.
This is going to be a very cool build.!
Trent

TehNewGuy 01-15-2013 09:22 AM

Awsome pictures in the gallery! Great to see the students going at it to help make it happen. Me being from Florida and all... that snow looks crazy to work in!

ChiefRocka 01-15-2013 09:33 AM

Great to see the kids getting in on the build !!

Which cab will you be using ?

aerotruk63 01-15-2013 12:51 PM

Please take note Bronze, though the project may have 62-3-4 there are some variations in the dimensions of some parts. Major changes occurred in 1963 as well as in 1964.

Zane'sMom 01-15-2013 01:54 PM

We posted photos in my gallery. The album is 'Zane's Ride Build'. Check them out, and let me know what you think!

Zane'sMom 01-15-2013 02:49 PM

The cabs on the 62 and 64 are in the best shape; the decision on which to use has not yet been made (Bronze will have more info). Body parts on the 63's were not really usable for the most part, but other components were (again, here Bronze will have more info - his students are doing the engine, tranny, etc). Thank you for the great feedback! My husband and I are visiting the school weekly to get updated photos, which we will post here and on the facebook page.

Zane'sMom 01-19-2013 12:53 AM

I got an email from Make-A-Wish. They want to do a press release about the project! I am so excited! And we will have more photos at the end of next week.

hop sing 01-19-2013 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zane'sMom (Post 5827609)
I got an email from Make-A-Wish. They want to do a press release about the project! I am so excited! And we will have more photos at the end of next week.

that is awesome my x did tons of work for make a wish in wa state good to here maybe we can get somes serious bidders !!!! make a wish brings them out any help u need i am in PR anything u need i lived in hawaii for twenty years its all about the aloha and mostly gooood Karama i hope this goes as far as the dream that started it ALOHA HOP SING :sumo::sumo:

r

Zane'sMom 01-20-2013 12:46 PM

Thank you, hop_sing!

Liz 01-26-2013 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zane'sMom (Post 5827609)

That is awesome.

Here is a link to the gallery http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...y.php?cat=1826

Zane'sMom 01-26-2013 10:25 PM

We just added new photos to my gallery (the album titled 'Zane's Ride'). Check them out!
You can see that the kids are busy! As far as the press release - it is about the 'Pick.Click.Give' campaign where Alaskan residents can donate from their Permanent Fund Dividend (PFD) to their favorite charity. More details when I have them. And the wood shop students at the school are taking on the wooden bed restoration. Does anyone have ideas where we can get a good deal for an oak kit? Thank you.

Zane'sMom 01-26-2013 10:32 PM

Almost forgot! Check out 'Zane's Ride' on facebook to see some videos the auto body instructor sent me.

Captainfab 01-27-2013 04:01 AM

I would think the wood shop kids could make the bed boards themselves. Here are all the dimensions:

http://www.gmcpauls.com/47-72_BedWood_Info.htm

Then you just need to get the metal strips from someone like Mar-K

http://www.mar-k.com/

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zane'sMom (Post 5845953)
We just added new photos to my gallery (the album titled 'Zane's Ride'). Check them out!
You can see that the kids are busy! As far as the press release - it is about the 'Pick.Click.Give' campaign where Alaskan residents can donate from their Permanent Fund Dividend (PFD) to their favorite charity. More details when I have them. And the wood shop students at the school are taking on the wooden bed restoration. Does anyone have ideas where we can get a good deal for an oak kit? Thank you.

Zane'sMom 01-27-2013 01:56 PM

That's a good point, Captain. I will put it to them.

Zane'sMom 01-28-2013 11:11 PM

Will the windshield seal fit a 62? Looks like that is cab we are using. The alternate cab is a 64. You can send it to me: Ellen Moore, PO Box 83112, Fairbanks, AK 99708. Thank you!

Captainfab 01-29-2013 02:27 AM

Are you needing a windshield gasket for a '60-'63? Do you need one to accomodate the stainless windshield trim?

What other type of parts are needed?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zane'sMom (Post 5852373)
Will the windshield seal fit a 62? Looks like that is cab we are using. The alternate cab is a 64. You can send it to me: Ellen Moore, PO Box 83112, Fairbanks, AK 99708. Thank you!

Zane'sMom 01-29-2013 11:34 PM

I was actually posting a reply to spacedebris who posted on this thread about a windshield seal he was willing to send. Sorry! I should have pm'd him. As far as other parts, we are still working on making a list. I will be in touch again this week with the teachers and can find out if they have info about what is needed. The kids are having a good time working on the trucks.

Zane'sMom 02-03-2013 12:11 AM

Build update: The plan is to use the engine (the 'heart' of the project), frame and hood from one of the 1963's Zane bought, the body from the donated '62; the '64 cab will be a backup. And a local Napa is going to help with parts and supplies, a local auto stereo/sound shop is going to donate the sound system, and we are talking to local tire shops about donating tires and wheels. A local guy following the project on facebook has parts he wants to donate; a former student at the school who now works at a local body shop is going to help with the paint job; one of the teachers involved in the project has posted a color vote on his faculty page. Things are going well!

Zane'sMom 02-03-2013 12:14 AM

Almost forgot: as captainfab suggested, I talked to the instructors, and it looks like the woodshop students will make the planks for the wood bed themselves. We will get more photos by the end of next week.

Zane'sMom 02-03-2013 12:30 AM

Special thanks to McMurphy, who has also offered help and parts! Thank you!

Captainfab 02-03-2013 02:14 AM

Is this truck going to have power steering and brakes?

If so, I will donate a set of my brackets to the build.

spacedebris 02-03-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zane'sMom (Post 5854981)
I was actually posting a reply to spacedebris who posted on this thread about a windshield seal he was willing to send. Sorry! I should have pm'd him. As far as other parts, we are still working on making a list. I will be in touch again this week with the teachers and can find out if they have info about what is needed. The kids are having a good time working on the trucks.

Yup, sure will. I bought it for my '60 but its going to be several years before I'm going to be ready so I'll get it sent to you.