The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   1965 C-10 - Sleeping Beauty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=567768)

chevy_man5 02-26-2013 11:59 AM

Re: 1965 C-10 - Sleeping Beauty

5 Attachment(s)
Last batch for now.

Dub_X 02-26-2013 12:20 PM

Nice find. Will definitely make a good project truck and daily driver once it's done. Nothing better than father/son bonding over a truck build!
Don't be too rough on him Jason! :lol:

quest 02-26-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyman10 (Post 5909914)
My dad (Chevy_man5) and I went to look at a truck yesterday. She ended up coming home with us.

It's a 1965 C-10 LWB. Not sure yet if it is a 230 or a 250. Granny 4 speed transmission.

The P.O. said that they were driving it two weeks ago, but we had a hard time getting it started. It was way out of time. Finally after messing with it for a while, we got it started.

We made it 33 of the 52 miles home, before it started overheating. Hooked a tow strap on it and drug it home, in the dark. No heat made a cold ride home!

This morning we took a bunch of pictures, and got it parked properly on the street, so we don't get a ticket.

My dad will post some pictures later.

Looks like a great start for a project! That would be a 292 engine I believe. with pwr steering nice! Good luck should be lots of fun!
There is actually a lot of stuff online for a performance build up of that engine, it's very popular, I was surprised to see that when I started reading about mine!

chevy_man5 02-26-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quest (Post 5914235)
Looks like a great start for a project! That would be a 292 engine I believe. with pwr steering nice! Good luck should be lots of fun!
There is actually a lot of stuff online for a performance build up of that engine, it's very popular, I was surprised to see that when I started reading about mine!

I wish it was the 292! That would be even better. The engine mounts are straight across from each other, the side covers are the short ones, and the fuel pump is in the front, so it is either the 230 or the 250. I'm betting on the 230. I looked at the plate on the kick panel, and the 250 wasn't listed, so more than likely it is the 230.

The power steering is nice. It works great too!

chevy_man5 02-26-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dub_X (Post 5914045)
Nice find. Will definitely make a good project truck and daily driver once it's done. Nothing better than father/son bonding over a truck build!
Don't be too rough on him Jason! :lol:

A little tuning and some tweaking, and it'll be a DD soon Will.

He's a good kid, and when working on the trucks, actually listens, so I'll be easy on him! LOL

quest 02-26-2013 02:40 PM

Oh my mistake I thought the valve cover looked like the 292 which seems it usually goes with the 4 spd.

chevy_man5 02-26-2013 03:24 PM

No worries Quest!

Looks like you have a fun project of your own!

Dub_X 02-26-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevy_man5 (Post 5914257)
A little tuning and some tweaking, and it'll be a DD soon Will.

He's a good kid, and when working on the trucks, actually listens, so I'll be easy on him! LOL

Always nice to see old trucks back on the road. :lol: At least he listens. I didn't when I was a teenager. :haha:
How's the '60 comin?

chevy_man5 02-26-2013 03:30 PM

The '60 is slowly... and not so surely making progress.

Master cylinder started puking fluid in the cab, all of the driveline seals need replaced, and the clutch plates exploded all over, so she is sitting for a bit. New master should be here tomorrow. I ordered it planning on putting it in this weekend, but now we have other things to play with!

It's nice spending his money to get to play! LOL

KroAutomotiveInc 02-26-2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyman10 (Post 5913680)
I don't want to lower it I also want to keep the bed original and keep it white with black pinstripes.

nice choice cant wait to see her come together if i had another chance at a 2wd i wouldn't lower it ether!

PAPA KENT 02-26-2013 08:55 PM

these kinds of stories and the great smirk on your son's face is just another thing that makes this forum fun!

thanks for the pictures and the story.

kent.

Zane'sMom 02-26-2013 11:53 PM

Nothing like a project like this to keep a young man smiling and out of trouble! Have fun!

ljackson 02-27-2013 08:25 AM

Great father and son project. Nice truck. A lot better shape than the one my son and I started with a few years ago. You two will have a great time and he will actually talk to you instead of just playing video games. So much more here than transportation.:)

chevy_man5 02-27-2013 08:31 AM

When time and funds allowed, we have been working on my '60, and been having a great time with that, so the good times should continue with this one. Possibly even better times, because the '65 is LOTS further along, and will be easier to get on the road and play with.
Posted via Mobile Device

chevy_man5 02-28-2013 03:45 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Ok, so I know less than nothing about Rochester Carbs. I think that is what this is. It looks like the Type "B". How can I confirm that?

Anything specific we should be watching for or doing while dissassembling and reassembling the carb?

quest 02-28-2013 04:02 PM

If the carb leaks like crazy through the throttle shaft you may need to just buy a new one, could be too much wear on the carb body, If it doesn't just clean her up like new and put a kit in it.

KroAutomotiveInc 02-28-2013 06:48 PM

Ya thats a rochester type B same thing that was on my truck from what i've learned from them is like quest said they can be worn out. In my case it was very close to being worn out and since this was the first crab i ever rebuild or played with i took it apart more then once messing with the floats ect and it just continued to get worse each time. So i would say try not to take it apart to many times or be too rough with it.

2bbls make a world of difference the site i got mine from stopped selling them they where a rebuilt 2bbl weber holley for 75 bucks but they do still sell the adapter plate and some pricey new carbs.

Also i adjusted the valves on the 64 last night and i cant believe the deference it made gave it a lot more top end power and it also along with the intake dropped the idle to 650 for the first time ran anywhere from 750-950 before.

murdoc 02-28-2013 11:02 PM

Impressive find!!!

A period correct 230 power steering bracket assy and coke bottle pump!! Those are hard to come by for the inline sixes. I got one on my 250, it makes the experience driving it much more enjoyable.

If u ever decide to go with a v8, ill b happy to buy that power steering setup from ya ;)

illl plan on being there this saturday to see it in person

chevy_man5 03-04-2013 03:56 PM

It was good seeing you Murdoc!!

We rebuilt the carb Friday night. Paid close attention to how everything came out, put it all back in the same way. Started it up Saturday morning, and started puking gas out of spots gas shouldn't be coming out of!

Took the top off of the carb because I realized we hadn't adjusted the float, and figured out that the float was in there upside down when I took it apart, so it went back on upside down... DOH!!

Fixed that, adjusted the float height, and put it back together. No more problems with that!

We moved on to the thermostat, swapped it out with no issues.

Cap, rotor, and points were next. She started quickly and idles fine. The problem comes when we drive it. Took it down the road, and while under low RPM's (starting out in each gear) it backfires and stutters. Once we are up, maybe halfway through the gear, it smooths out, and accelerates well. Same thing in 3rd and 4th. I adjusted the timing a little bit at a time, both forward until it popped through the carb, then back until it popped through the carb, with the same results. I will have a timing light next time I am messing with it but was hoping for some input from you all.

Ideas so far to check:

Vacuum leak on carb, or intake
Check vacuum advance in distributor
Condenser in Distributor (yeah, I know I should have changed it with everything else)
Recheck the point gap.

Anything else?

jbgroby 03-04-2013 05:15 PM

cool you got the delete plate no hacked up dash, thats a plus!

KroAutomotiveInc 03-04-2013 05:25 PM

could the float level be low still starving it for gas making it bog down at first then catching up after you get thought the first part of the gear?

also in my 64 my vacuum advance was shot so that could be a possibly and with the backfires makes me lean trowed something with the timing or distributor like your thinking because with all the problems ive had with the 64 ive never had a back fire.

chevy_man5 03-04-2013 05:36 PM

Using the measuring piece that cam in the kit, it should be dead on the money for the float.

My boss is supposed to be bringing me in his timing light, so I can hopefully at least tweak on it some tonight.

KroAutomotiveInc 03-04-2013 06:57 PM

cool well good luck i have a manual on that crab i will email ya just in case you keep having problems.

quest 03-04-2013 07:48 PM

Well I might check your vac advance rubber hose/connections to be sure it isn't old and cracked rubber leaking, check vac adv pot to see if it is holding vac.
You could do a rough setting of the timing by bringing the #1cyl to TDC and then check your timing marks on the harmonic balancer and make sure dist rotor is in the right position to confirm you got the firing order right on the cap & plugs. from there you can adj the dist a small amount to fine tune until you get the TL.
Make sure you don't have plug wires shorting on anything and that the wiring to the coil is good and nowhere to short out. Best way to that is to look under the hood at night time to if there is any sparks in the dark.
Does it have Fresh gasoline in it? New fuel filter?

RANDY COX 03-04-2013 07:50 PM

Congrats on your truck,was that a build sheet behind that seat I saw..Throw you an HEI Distributor in it,It will wake that ole six up..I like them ole six's easy to work on and everything easy to get to.I saw another old truck sittin in the garage.