The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What's your best theft deterrent ??? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=590462)

Steve Cole 07-30-2013 08:43 AM

Re: What's your best theft deterrent ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy4639 (Post 6196374)
I have 2 in my 71.

I have a battery kill switch and a Transmission lock out on the truck so even if they get it started they can't shift it into drive no matter what they do.
;):chevy:

Hey Andy, where do you get the transmission lock? and how does it work?
Thanks.

Andy4639 07-30-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Cole (Post 6196401)
Hey Andy, where do you get the transmission lock? and how does it work?
Thanks.

Well if I tell u then it's not much of a secret is it!

Yes it is on the truck and it works. I used it everynight on the 2013 Power Tour. Even though I didn't need to I felt better at the motels knowing I did. Newer model vehicles all have it on them.

Longhorn 70 07-30-2013 12:17 PM

I had a friend who has now left us that used a "Club" that went from the brake pedal and locked the steering wheel in place for his Falcon. Someone still tried to tow the car out of his drive. Luckily he had the front wheels turned sharp enough that it would have towed in circles if no dolly was used....It would've taken too much time. They left. If they did get it how would he find it??

I have thought of 2 things to deter theft in my truck and handle an incident similar to the one above.

1. Install a horn relay that connects to the ignition wire that would have to be disabled before driving the truck.

2. Cell phone type tracking device if it does get snagged so I can find, as well as police, my truck. They are cheap with cheap service costs. Look Here. I am in no way affiliated with the GPS company.

Vince

Steve Cole 07-30-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy4639 (Post 6196483)
Well if I tell u then it's not much of a secret is it!

Yes it is on the truck and it works. I used it everynight on the 2013 Power Tour. Even though I didn't need to I felt better at the motels knowing I did. Newer model vehicles all have it on them.

You never said it was a "secret". Where can I buy one?

72bowtiestepper 07-30-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidfre21 (Post 6194237)
Springfield 1911. Old school like the truck
Posted via Mobile Device

Springfield XD9mm works too !!

yote1234 07-30-2013 05:30 PM

one of the best forms of security is a great ins policy. insure it for twice the value!

mikey531 07-30-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Longhorn 70 (Post 6196639)
I had a friend who has now left us that used a "Club" that went from the brake pedal and locked the steering wheel in place for his Falcon. Someone still tried to tow the car out of his drive. Luckily he had the front wheels turned sharp enough that it would have towed in circles if no dolly was used....It would've taken too much time. They left. If they did get it how would he find it??

I have thought of 2 things to deter theft in my truck and handle an incident similar to the one above.

1. Install a horn relay that connects to the ignition wire that would have to be disabled before driving the truck.

2. Cell phone type tracking device if it does get snagged so I can find, as well as police, my truck. They are cheap with cheap service costs. Look Here. I am in no way affiliated with the GPS company.

Vince

I never understood the popularity of the club pushing against the steering wheel and the brake pedal? All you have to do is cut the steering wheel and the club falls off ! Bolt cutters and you are on your way.

In The Ten Ring 07-30-2013 07:08 PM

3 sticks of dynamite. "Touch those tanks and BOOM." LOL

I am going to look into the battery disconnect....

Mine is a 3 on the tree.....I have thought about backing it up against something, shifting into reverse, then removing the shifter. Mine comes out easily.

Right now I have few worries: no seat, no gas tank, disconnected fuel line, no battery, and it seems my brakes are rusted up.

Andy4639 07-30-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Cole (Post 6196770)
You never said it was a "secret". Where can I buy one?

The newer cars u have to step on the brake to get it out of gear. I installed a shifter out of a trailblazer and hooked the electric solenoid up so that if I turn the hidden switch off the trans cant be shifted out of park.

Rufton 07-30-2013 07:36 PM

I'd like to find a way to lock hood w/o little or no drilling.

jocko 07-30-2013 09:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Meet Kill Switch (aka "Buster"). He cost me $20 at the local pound 12 years ago and nobody's stolen the truck, or him, yet :) (in reality, he's a cream puff - he's actually 'smiling,' not growling in the pic)

Pinheadstriper 07-30-2013 11:10 PM

There are a lot of aftermarket companys making remote operated relays. Easy to hide and have a new stile key fob. I have use several on old Harleys and plan on using one on my truck.

Spartan 07-30-2013 11:17 PM

I use the k-9. People seem to be naturally afraid of dobermans. At 110lbs mine thinks the vehicle is his. Get too close and he barks. Get closer the snarling growling starts. Reach through the window...
Posted via Mobile Device

Lee H 07-30-2013 11:56 PM

IMHO, the best, although not a deterrent, is a LoJack type device. At about $400 it's a hard check to write but the real question is, how much is you truck worth? Think real hard, is $400 bucks worth getting it back real fast? If it moves about 100 foot without the fob you get a text, call the police and its being tracked within about two minutes of being jacked.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jdubs71 07-31-2013 12:20 AM

The mountain lion in Ricky Bobby's chevelle would be a pretty good deterrent. you may want to keep it in the bed though. On a serious note the club is about $30 and they have a great warranty; if your car gets stolen with it on they will send you a replacement free of charge.

taotaoali 07-31-2013 05:56 AM

how their truck can't get stolen" in this type of setting.

taotaoali 07-31-2013 05:57 AM

Most under 30 probably never heard of it lol.

Jon01 07-31-2013 11:39 AM

If it's parked in a hotel lot or somewhere out of town I usually throw a tune in that has no timing and fuel.
Around town I'm not too worried about it, car theft isn't a big issue around here.

Daubs 07-31-2013 01:34 PM

My truck is a "mutt"...body from C-20 camper special (auto) and frame from K-20, stick shift. Truck still has the auto-column sleeve (no auto-shifter), and the starter shut off still works (or worked a few years back...need to repair).

So basically I park the truck in granny low, and slide the column shifter ring just off of "P." Even with the key, you can't start the truck.

Handed my brother the keys one day and said, start her up. He spent better part of 15 minutes confused and trying to figure it out. Never did.

Sometimes it is the simple things...

hwyix 07-31-2013 04:52 PM

I just purchases a 72 2wd blazer. This truck has to be the easiest thing to steal. I am assume the trucks are the same. Mine does not have a steering lock, the ignition switch is in the dash and the wires are EASY to get at it. This must be the car they use in all the movies to steal in 30 seconds are less.

Since the truck has a mechanical fuel pump, and no computer what is the kill switch going to do for you?

I have been trying to figure a good way to enjoy my truck with the top off and go to movies for two hours. haha. Right now I only feel comfortable parking it some place I can always see it. Kind of takes the joy out of owning it:(

69Rumbler 07-31-2013 06:03 PM

Any one every tried an Ravelco
Posted via Mobile Device

jeffahart 07-31-2013 06:17 PM

Redundancy is the key; it causes the thief to take more time; time is on your side not the thieves.

1) Something that makes noise, can be as simple as cans or cow bells hitting the ground when they open the door. Now they have to move fast.

2) steering lock. Yea, it can be cut. But bring your tools and spend the extra few seconds to cut it.

3) Power cut off, spend a few more seconds to rewire or find the switch.

4) fuel cutoff, spend time to find it also.

each attempt causes cranking the engine, more noise and more pressure for the SOB thief.

If they really want it they will get it. But if they have to work too hard they will get something else.

I know most of our trucks our worth more to us than the SOB thief. That's why deterrents work.

Nothing I hate worse than a thief!!!!

OSM 70 C20 07-31-2013 07:08 PM

The general appearance of my truck is the greatest theft deterrent. Also, I don't rev my engine or do anything to let my neighbors know there are pretty shinies under the hood. Jocko, AWESOME picture!!! A smile like that would make me think twice.

bugmasta 07-31-2013 07:24 PM

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Nothing-In-Th...h4g~~60_35.JPG

LONGHAIR 07-31-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hwyix (Post 6198546)

Since the truck has a mechanical fuel pump, and no computer what is the kill switch going to do for you?

It cuts the power to the ignition, so even if they could get it to crank, it still would not start.