The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Built not bought (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=752048)

Popcorn W 12-09-2017 12:33 PM

Re: Built not bought

I enjoy the build more than the ride. I usually get tired of something once it's done and sell it.
No offense to any of the bought category guys, but one reason I pretty much quit going to car shows, I ask the owner how he did something and most say, I didn't do it, I bought it like this.

Indian113 12-09-2017 02:15 PM

At Car Shows a few simple questions and you can tell " Built from Bought" but as long as they are KEEPING the Hobby Alive- I don't Give a SHxx!

CG 12-09-2017 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Popcorn W (Post 8100577)
I enjoy the build more than the ride. I usually get tired of something once it's done and sell it.
No offense to any of the bought category guys, but one reason I pretty much quit going to car shows, I ask the owner how he did something and most say, I didn't do it, I bought it like this.

So because someone cant get into the specifics of a part of his ride you are interested in it makes it not worth checking out anyway?

One thing I do appreciate is when someone is honest about the car or truck and doesn't try to take credit for the parts he didn't do.

But to be honest, I go close to no car shows anymore. I still love the cool rides, just don't feel like plodding around a fairgrounds all day.

mongocanfly 12-09-2017 03:04 PM

I enjoy building...not just trucks but whatever I need...most things I have around home/shop are things I've built from scratch...most of it I probably couldve bought it cheaper. .I just enjoy the challenge. .

special-K 12-09-2017 04:01 PM

Me too. My life has always been about doing for myself as much as I can. To me that is what makes you rich, being self-sufficient. And because at this point I know what I can do, not that I'm not learning more, if I decide to pay someone to provide a service for me it doesn't mean squat. Got nothing to prove and just do what suits my needs without stepping on anyone's toes.

I'll be honest, I started out doing everything myself. Now, after all the years, I have friends with special skills that would be offended if I didn't have them do what they do so well. I was painting other people's cars 30-40 years ago. But I haven't painted one of my own in over twenty, that I can recall.

I think the ones who flaunt the built not bought thing are newbies that haven't settled down about the thing they discovered that others have been doing all along. To us it ain't nothing but a thing. Kinda like eating a hamburger. Which brings the question to mind, grille your own or place an order? I do both :cool:

GOPAPA 12-09-2017 07:09 PM

I wish I could remember what I was going to say here.. but I don't exactly ,,so I will jot this down.. I like old cars and trucks,, I like listening to owners of old cars and trucks.. Especially if they have saved them from the crusher ,,or bought it from some one else .... from that point on it's all good ,, no matter what they tell me.. It just don't bother me no more . just like you guys and gals on here ,,what ever you have done or not done ,,I do not compare ,,,,and enjoy you all ,, Hey ! maybe I did remember,, :)

Andy4639 12-09-2017 09:07 PM

The thing that I don't like is a guy who pay's to have whatever it is he has and wants to put down someone who has basicly the same thing but doesn't have the cash in it like the other guy.
It's all over the place not only vehicles but houses are what ever.
It's the attitude that gets me.

It's like the Hot Rod Power Tour

All these people want to put others down because they drive a brand new vehicle on the tour are have just a everyday driver type vehicle!
Who cares man drive it have fun and enjoy the ride with all the rest of the 6-7 thousand others.
Do what you can and have the rest done.

Like my 6.0 install, I could have done it myself because I had done the 305 EFI before it myself.
I choose not to because of space and time. I was working shift work 12hr shifts and didn't want my garage tied up all winter long and having to work on it everytime I had a day off.
I also had the cash to spare for it at the time.

I promise I want give you to much of a hard time if you don't do it all yourself!:lol:
:chevy:

68Timber 12-09-2017 11:00 PM

N2TRUX had a rebuild thread on a square he named Scarlett. Your question reminded me of his thread because he refreshed the entire truck from the bottom up without blowing it completely apart all at once. Worth a look.

davischevy 12-09-2017 11:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 8099109)
For me in my eyes, it is all about the build process. It's about learning new things weather it is you teaching someone or you teaching someone else. It's about keeping this hobby alive. Everyone can't do everything all the time and a lot of times it makes more sense to send out certain things. Not everyone can set up a suitable paint booth, not everyone has access to a welder or even 220. Again, it's about the build. Take something that is trashed and make it something that never was produced etc.

I did a 2000 F350 for a kid recently. It was a 14 month pain in the life project from Satan's den. I had who knows how many hours in the truck, let alone dealing with the owner. I built him a 550+hp 7.3, restored the under side of the truck, added an aftermarket fuel system, added stacks over the top of his dual tail pipes with electric cut outs, and more. He had the truck for 3 days and he brought it by. I saw the "Built not bought" stickers on the front windows. Instantly ticked me off. It was built alright, but not by him.

If you have the drive to learn and a want to have something you can step back and say I built this for me that's what will matter in the end.

Now that you have him out of the way, can I drop my diesel truck off. I will even have some stickers like this made.

Boog 12-09-2017 11:28 PM

"low cash garage". We'll do ya cheap. ;)

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 12-10-2017 12:47 AM

You can do it. I wasn't raised around the stuff, but I'm DYI guy for the most part. I hadn't even done a brake job, but at near 56 years, I'm currently doing a frame-off.

I won't do the paint and body work, but I'll know how to rebuild her. I observe every detail as I disassemble and keep very good notes. That takes more time than the disassembly itself. Kind of important if you ask me, especially for a beginner, because if you''re like me it will be near four years before the part is reassembled.

Unless you're cursed with un-rusted bolts (cough!), you're going to want to replace the hardware. A lot of guys use stainless. It's likely you won't find exact replacements, but close works (e.g., separate washer as opposed integrated washer) so long as it fits and suits the application, such as grade 2, 5 or 8.

Unless it's absolutely obvious, don't throw anything away. You might need the reference. Overall, organization is key. If you're green as I am/was, then it will pay dividends. Be prepared to spend a TON of time on this, regardless how deeply you go. I saw a shop recently "brag" about 2000 hours on a restoration. Granted they're pros. But my painter and I spent six man-hours just prepping under the bed today, and it's due another five hours easy. 2000 hours is nothing. I'll be into mine FAR more than that, and too many hours to guess.

Dieselwrencher 12-11-2017 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 8101012)
Now that you have him out of the way, can I drop my diesel truck off. I will even have some stickers like this made.

Uh oh. :mm::lol:

davischevy 12-12-2017 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 8101012)

Hey Diesel Wrencher, I posted the Corvette thinking it is yours. Am I wrong?

jimmythompson1964 12-12-2017 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJBert (Post 8099293)
To be very honest, if I had the money I would have no problem paying someone else to build me a truck to my specifications. I don't have the money therefor I do what I can and scrimp and save to have someone to do what I can't.

I started out like a few others on here that learned to turn wrenches buy keeping whatever I happened to have at the moment just to keep it on the road. Next month, at the young age of 53, I'll be going to a community college to learn welding and fabrication. My good Uncle Sam will be footing the bill for school and I'll learn everything I can while I'm there. This learning will be for myself at home and not to get a job. I figure it will save me money doing it myself, though I've already warned the wife I'll be spending more money on tools. Of course, she thinks I've got too many as it is.

Yes, I'd rather do things myself so I know it'll be done right but I wonder how nice it would be to drop of a vehicle at a shop and tell them, "Frame off resto with this, that and everything else on this list."

Good for you! I say do what makes you happy...not everyone is a sick pup like me...I would rather work in my garage or on my truck that eat when I'm hungry. Learn all you can, try it once if you hate some part of it then pay some one to do that part and work on the stuff that makes you smile. Everyone is different so do it YOUR way :metal:

jeffahart 12-12-2017 08:49 PM

Two weekends ago I hopped in my truck to goto lunch. Halfway up the street the clutch went flat. I drove back home. The frame bolt on the clutch bar came loose. I wrestled, and cussed it off... that's when I found out it was loose not broken. I cursed it, cleaned it up and greased up. I cinched the bolt down. Got back in and drove to lunch with my wife.... and a busted knuckle and some grease under my nails.... life is good! :mm:

My wife and me, we've done OK. I can afford to drive whatever I want... I bought this old heap! It reminds me of me! :chevy:

I am usually most critical of those I don't like anyway! Do as you please, you can't win... There will always be someone ready to shoot you down! :lol:

Now, let's talk about those short beds.... that's another good topic!

j

Dieselwrencher 12-12-2017 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 8103470)
Hey Diesel Wrencher, I posted the Corvette thinking it is yours. Am I wrong?

No sir, you are right. It is mine. I built it. :mm::lol:

I meant the uh oh as to maybe you have caught a diesel bug now? :lol:

davischevy 12-12-2017 09:46 PM

Bug? I'm not sure I have a diesel bug, but I do like having my Duramax handy if I decide to tow.

Ol Blue K20 12-12-2017 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 8103598)
No sir, you are right. It is mine. I built it. :mm::lol:

I meant the uh oh as to maybe you have caught a diesel bug now? :lol:

Ok, now I'm curious. What diesel is in the Vette and what's it run?....Details please. .

Killer Bee 12-13-2017 12:07 AM

I've been to two county fairs and one mayview picnic an' ain't never seen nothin' like that!

This C3 Corvette Is Powered by a 6BT Cummins Diesel Inline-Six

video at bottom of article, holly smokes! literally, LoL

Ol Blue K20 12-13-2017 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killer Bee (Post 8103719)
I've been to two county fairs and one mayview picnic an' ain't never seen nothin' like that!

This C3 Corvette Is Powered by a 6BT Cummins Diesel Inline-Six

video at bottom of article, holly smokes! literally, LoL

Wow Ryan, I'm very impressed!! Good going!!

YBNORML 12-13-2017 02:46 AM

A douche is a douche it doesn’t matter which side of the fence you are on. If you use your particular build style or ability to put down others, you’re a douche.

I see guys/gals like this all the time. Walking around the shows picking apart everyone else’s pride and joy. Some have built their vehicle, some bought them built and some have paid others to build their dream for them. This particular enthusiast ruin shows for those around them.

As far as I’m concerned, a cool ride is a cool ride. No matter who built it or who owns it. Just have fun. Period.

Dieselwrencher 12-13-2017 02:46 AM

Thanks guys. That vid is back from 2012. We had the car set up to hit it with nitrous. But, we never put the nitrous on it because we were fighting the transmission. We couldn't get it to stall like it was supposed to. It had a 3500 in it but wouldn't do 1k. Plus it had some old hard quick times on it. It has ran 11.43@132mph before. The trans will stall enough to make 12psi of boost now. I just haven't had time to fix some oil leaks on it to get it back to the track.

Killer Bee 12-13-2017 03:12 AM

^ clever piece of work, hat tip to you sir!

funny you mention it, first thing I noticed in the video was low stall but not surprised with that engine pouring on the torque so early.. but looks like you made the best of it!

had some hoosier quick time cheaters on my goat.. small et sacrifice to run em on the street to the track :D

special-K 12-13-2017 06:04 AM

I see a built not bought sticker and I look to see a built vehicle. I see a built not bought t-shirt and I expect to see a builder. It can be a built not bought machine no matter how it happened but you ain't no builder unless it was your hands that created it. That doesn't mean 100%, but I think everyone has an idea of just how much is required to claim you built it. And those guys are usually right up front about what was done with others because they did enough to have nothing to prove.