The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Billet hood hinges (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=776736)

nlped 12-11-2018 04:57 PM

Re: Billet hood hinges

Let me get home and I’ll relay that info.

nlped 12-12-2018 08:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of pictures of the shock. The hinges seem to be a very solid build, but I’ve only played with them not installed them.

First c10 12-12-2018 09:18 PM

Thank you
Do they have part numbers?

nlped 12-12-2018 09:55 PM

No,sorry, no part #’s.

First c10 12-13-2018 12:14 AM

Ok Thank you. Post a pic when you install them.

AK_C10 12-14-2018 03:17 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I have the silver line series from all American billet, they are a little pricey but look and function flawlessly

First c10 12-14-2018 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AK_C10 (Post 8405137)
I have the silver line series from all American billet, they are a little pricey but look and function flawlessly

Thank you for the pictures.
I looked them up and they look like the LMC ones. I would bet that they are the same

American Billet Hinges

keep them coming this is good info.

First c10 12-14-2018 11:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
That is better! looking like its going to be a nice engine bay!

AK_C10 12-14-2018 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by First c10 (Post 8405215)
Thank you for the pictures.
I looked them up and they look like the LMC ones. I would bet that they are the same

American Billet Hinges

keep them coming this is good info.

Honestly not sure, I do know they make these ones right in Phoenix Arizona.

Stickman 12-14-2018 12:49 PM

Fesler and Ring Bros also make some nice ones.

AK_C10 12-14-2018 01:04 PM

I bought the entire silver line series for under the hood on my build, they make some pretty great stuff, I really like the fact that I can make all the components flow with each other I guess. THe hinges tying in with the serp system and reservoirs and what not looks super clean to me

bgood70 02-11-2019 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nlped (Post 8403382)
I’ve got the eBay ones, but mine came with shocks. I haven’t installed them, so I can’t attest to there functionality.

nlped

Did you get these installed? Interested in your thoughts on quality and how they actually work.

nlped 02-11-2019 08:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bgood70 (Post 8463662)
nlped

Did you get these installed? Interested in your thoughts on quality and how they actually work.

No, I didn’t. After finally getting the body on the new Porterbuilt frame, I confirmed that the oe hood hinge mounting location is a no go (even though I’m a touring DM) so I had to order the PB cowl mounted hood hinges. I suppose I could install them just to see how the fitment is as the body is pretty bare right now... :lol:

First c10 02-12-2019 01:39 AM

Hey guys update for me. I ended up going with EMS hinges. Got a great deal on them from a forum sponser Matt’s classics. Since I am going with a dark blue I decided to go with bling and ordered the polished hinges.

bgood70 02-12-2019 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nlped (Post 8463925)
No, I didn’t. After finally getting the body on the new Porterbuilt frame, I confirmed that the oe hood hinge mounting location is a no go (even though I’m a touring DM) so I had to order the PB cowl mounted hood hinges. I suppose I could install them just to see how the fitment is as the body is pretty bare right now... :lol:

Ok thanks for the response. One of my hinges broke so looking to upgrade now. If you are not going to use the DEmotor ones and want to off load let me know. If are able to install temporarily to check fitment let us know your feedback.

bgood70 02-12-2019 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by First c10 (Post 8464141)
Hey guys update for me. I ended up going with EMS hinges. Got a great deal on them from a forum sponser MattÂ’s classics. Since I am going with a dark blue I decided to go with bling and ordered the polished hinges.

Ill check with Matt's Cassic also as I need new hinges as one of mine broke. My build is also blue so maybe ill add some more bling!! Link to my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=362010&page=7

First c10 02-12-2019 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgood70 (Post 8464258)
Ill check with Matt's Cassic also as I need new hinges as one of mine broke. My build is also blue so maybe ill add some more bling!! Link to my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=362010&page=7

Checked out your build Cool ideas! looks great!

gphillips72wagon 02-12-2019 02:53 PM

I used Ring Brothers billet hood hinges on my '72 Chevelle wagon and they fit perfectly. So when it came time to upgrade my '68 C10, I again went with Ring Brothers. Yes, they're pricey, but I appreciate the quality. Haven't installed them yet, but I'll let you know in a couple weeks how they fit.

There's a good video on their website describing the difference between their product and the Chinese knock-offs.

Gordon
ABQ, NM

nlped 02-12-2019 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgood70 (Post 8464255)
Ok thanks for the response. One of my hinges broke so looking to upgrade now. If you are not going to use the DEmotor ones and want to off load let me know. If are able to install temporarily to check fitment let us know your feedback.

I’ll throw them on tonight just to get an idea of fit & finish if I can get my buddy to swing by and give me a helping hand.

elf w/capital T 02-14-2019 10:28 AM

I am super intrigued by those china ebay ones... they are holding the hood well? Also adjustment isnt painful...correct?

MCB Matt 02-14-2019 02:46 PM

Those are imported. We tried them out some time back and they literally fell apart (Bearings).

We offer great prices on EMS and then you know you are getting a USA made hinge with USA bearings and they include stainless struts.

Anyone in the market, PM me for a price and PLEASE include the year and desired finish.
Thanks,
MCB Parts

First c10 08-08-2019 11:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys a little update on the EMS hood hinges.
Well I had a problem since I was using a aftermarket cowl induction hood. EMS sent me 360# SS struts and I guess these are for a stock hood and the Chinese hood I got was lighter so it would not close properly. Jeff at EMS sent me 300# struts. At first it was fine but now won't hold the hood up all the way. well I decided to use the 300# struts. After I took the hood off to paint I noticed that the hinges rattled. The bolts holding the hinge together was awfully loose. I called EMS and they said that I need to check the bolts often and possible put lock tight on the bolts.....

For the cost of the hinges I am a little pisst that every time you open the hood it wants to loosen the bolts on the passenger side and every time you close the hood it want to loosen the driver side.

EMS should have set the pressure on the bearings and Locktite them before shipment!!!

1971Stepside 12-23-2020 10:27 AM

I want to bring this thread back to life as I am in the market for a set of hinges. I wanted to follow up and see if anyone has additional feedback on these now there are a few more out there.

The EMS hinges are popular, but I have had more than one C10 owner tell me that they found the hinges never closed the hood twice the same way and recommended I buy the hinges that offered the horizontal shock instead of the vertical.

Feedback appreciated.