The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Crows ,,,,,,,,lots of them (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=779207)

Stocker 01-10-2019 10:38 PM

Re: Crows ,,,,,,,,lots of them

Well, they are all related -- ravens, crows, magpies and a few others. So Tim, you were at least partly right!

I find the different sounds ravens make to be kinda interesting.

special-K 01-10-2019 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOPAPA (Post 8439942)
I was just curious if any of you knew what these big black birds are thinking when picking our town over another town ,, I have heard they are pretty smart ..

Same reason as you, Larry. They are smart enough to pick a nice place
Quote:

Originally Posted by slomotion (Post 8440869)
Showing your age there Tim! :)

I getting pretty good at that :cool:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stocker (Post 8440880)
Well, they are all related -- ravens, crows, magpies and a few others. So Tim, you were at least partly right!

I find the different sounds ravens make to be kinda interesting.

Me too. They definitely are communicators. My dad related to them really well. He had his buddies.

blazer2007 01-11-2019 09:55 AM

there is a good documentary on how smart they really are ,they can problem solve use tools and much more

geezer#99 01-11-2019 11:03 AM

Tough birds!
Extremely tough!
We had a crow at work one time that somehow got entangled in a belt roller on one of our conveyor belts.
He was going round and round getting beat by the belt, squaking like a madman!
We shut down the belt, freed him, he hit the ground running! LOL!
He was beat up pretty bad. We couldn’t catch him. He couldn’t fly but man could he run.
He lived for a week!
Drove us crazy with his squaking!
Tough birds indeed!

Ol Blue K20 01-11-2019 01:28 PM

There was a crow at a shop I used to work at. It knew when it was lunch time. He would sit on my truck and squawk. Iwould drive up the street to get lunch and it would follow me there and back. Then he would wait patiently for me to throw out some scraps. This went on for several years and then one day it was gone.I wonder what happened to it.....

GOPAPA 01-11-2019 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8441128)
There was a crow at a shop I used to work at. It knew when it was lunch time. He would sit on my truck and squawk. Iwould drive up the street to get lunch and it would follow me there and back. Then he would wait patiently for me to throw out some scraps. This went on for several years and then one day it was gone.

I wonder what happened to it.....

Some day Crow some day feathers.. all I can think of that happened to it.. lol

slomotion 01-11-2019 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOPAPA (Post 8441316)

I'm thinking as smart as they are, the crow found someone that was going to a more up-scale lunch spot. Just sayin'.

Ol Blue K20 01-11-2019 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOPAPA (Post 8441316)

:lol:good point

Quote:

Originally Posted by slomotion (Post 8441324)
I'm thinking as smart as they are, the crow found someone that was going to a more up-scale lunch spot. Just sayin'.

:lol: probably got tired of pastrami. ......

FleetsidePaul 01-12-2019 06:52 AM

We have Ravens. At least that's what I think they are because they're big. Lot's of them. To tell you the truth, I like them. They amuse me. My wife and the neighbor lady feed them. They only bugged me once when I was home alone and I don't feed them which I guess ticked them off because I had planted some new shrubs at the end of my driveway and saw them ripping them up. I went and yelled at them and they cussed me out, took a big dump on my car, and then flew away. ( I guess they do recognize people.) :lol: They drive my dogs nuts which is hilarious to watch.

72supr 01-12-2019 09:30 AM

My Dad and uncle farmed together in the fifties and at that time the state had a bounty on crows.There was a crows roost on their land that was a tree belt 3/4 of a mile long.A lot of people from around would ask permission to hunt and they never turned anyone down.One fellow they had heard that was hunting there quite a lot would never ask permission to hunt.They didn’t really care if he hunted the roost because they wanted the crows gone.One afternoon My Dad and uncle went to the roost to wait for the crows to come in.While they were waiting they heard a car stop on the road and the guy that never had permission to hunt came walking down the trees with gun in hand.They were hidden where he couldn’t see them and when he was 75 feet away they let out several large and long growls.My Dad said the fella turned in his tracks and left in a big hurry.As far as they knew he never hunted there roost again.Every time I see or here crows I think about that story.