The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Custom made emblems? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=794214)

dmjlambert 10-07-2019 09:26 PM

Re: Custom made emblems?

Keep searching for somebody who does CNC. Did you write to thehomefoundry yet?

special-K 10-07-2019 09:33 PM

Or Dual Quad would be cool

Astro-Balls 10-07-2019 09:48 PM

Try a company like this that makes challenge coins.
https://www.customadecoins.com/?gcli...SAAEgIKtPD_BwE

Ironhorse 10-07-2019 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmjlambert (Post 8605775)
Keep searching for somebody who does CNC. Did you write to thehomefoundry yet?

Have not contacted them yet. Will give them a try and report back here again. The CNC world is something I am not at all familiar with. Care to give the short version of what CNC can accomplish?

dmjlambert 10-07-2019 09:58 PM

CNC is essentially a robotic router. Much like a 3D printer, except instead of depositing material, it carves out material. Once the emblem is made, if duplicates are wanted, lost wax casting can be used to make duplicates.

chewychevy67 10-08-2019 12:40 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I had a buddy who runs a cnc machine make the custom horn button for my gmc steering wheel so I assume someone with one could make a emblem. This was made from stainless but could use other metals as well he said.

special-K 10-08-2019 06:34 AM

Saweeet! I still have that other custom horn button you did. And just last weekend sold the N30 wheel I had to restore (along with the '67 Camaro floor shift column it was on). I want to find a better one to restore or buy one already done.

Anyway, back to custom emblems. I'm sure they could be done on a CNC machine.

Andy4639 10-08-2019 11:13 PM

This is a pretty good deal I think.
I didn't see anything about a min order of 50!

FEATURES
Any text, any length
3D chrome plated & free standing
10 year factory warranty
Pre spaced & aligned
Easy secure online ordering
Simple to apply, ships in 48 hours
Contact us for:
Orders of 5 or more PIDPLATES
Orders with more than 21 characters
Your CAR Your Business CARD!
:chevy:

https://www.pidplates.us/shop/pidplates-lettering/

Getter-Done 10-09-2019 12:18 AM

Several people on the forum have
called Nelly Precision for different projects.
Hart Rod had a speaker cover made that looks awesome.
I am sure he would do a Run of Emblems.
Here is his contact info.
http://www.neelyprecision.com/

69CST4x4SWB 10-09-2019 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davepl (Post 8601699)
I had these emblems made from scratch, starting with a 3D artist. I've got about $600 into it and and not totally happy, so it's an expensive route...

Here you can see the repro on the left and the original on the right. It'll do until I find a real one, but not perfect.

Not perfect but close enough!

Ironhorse 10-09-2019 10:33 AM

Looked into the www.pidplates.us a bit further. They attach by an adhesive foiled backing which I am reluctant to do after new paint on my 57. Body of the 57 at rear quarter panel has four small holes for attachment pins which would use an original 14'' long Chevrolet script. Want to pick up on those 4 holes making the custom script removable with little to no damage to the new paint if careful enough in removal. Will continue looking for more options but thanks for the link.

SCOTI 10-09-2019 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironhorse (Post 8606586)
Looked into the www.pidplates.us a bit further. They attach by an adhesive foiled backing which I am reluctant to do after new paint on my 57. Body of the 57 at rear quarter panel has four small holes for attachment pins which would use an original 14'' long Chevrolet script. Want to pick up on those 4 holes making the custom script removable with little to no damage to the new paint if careful enough in removal. Will continue looking for more options but thanks for the link.

How about attaching the 'new' emblem to a base that mounts to the body the way you want? I would investigate a base that can be made using thin enough material w/some studs bonded/tacked on. The studs could use speed nuts or something similar.

Andy4639 10-09-2019 11:28 AM

The emblem could be removed without any damage to the paint if removed right and you could cover the holes with it also. Having a base made could work also as stated above.:chevy:

Ironhorse 10-09-2019 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8606595)
How about attaching the 'new' emblem to a base that mounts to the body the way you want? I would investigate a base that can be made using thin enough material w/some studs bonded/tacked on. The studs could use speed nuts or something similar.

Actually what you propose is my alternate / back-up plan. With the script actually engraved within the base plate. Thinking a brushed or polished aluminum or stainless plate with the attaching studs on the back. The original script attaches with studs and barrel nuts. That idea is starting to look more feasible, just not ready yet to give up on the lettered script idea.

special-K 10-10-2019 07:34 AM

When Harley was selling reproductions of their early emblems to install on the later bikes the emblems were actual reproductions, so could be used as replacements on old bikes mounting the original way. For the new bikes they sold an adhesive mount base as an adapter. It fit within the emblem, couldn't tell