The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Alternate Tinkerings (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   IROC Lovers? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=832722)

LS short box 04-01-2022 10:17 PM

Re: IROC Lovers?

The down side to the Iroc is the mullet you will have to sport to really fit the car. LOL!

FleetsidePaul 04-01-2022 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shifty One (Post 9060119)

I'll bet you miss her. That is an absolutely beautiful car.

57taskforce 04-01-2022 10:40 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Nice looking car! I would miss that one too. Thanks for the added info LS short box. I paid for the car today and got the original keys and title. $500, didn’t seem to shabby to me. I’ve got to be the second owner not counting the 20 year staycation at the pawn shop. The title was issued with 26 miles on it. The 50k mile odometer reading is correct per the bill of sale paperwork my buddy gave me with the title. I aired the tires up as best I could and drug it foreword with my service truck t asses what it was going to take to get it on a trailer and home. I’ll be damned if it didn’t roll smooth and straight for the 30 feet or so I drug it. I’d be surprised if the brakes work though. Luckily in that deep sand I didn’t need them. I had to dig the front lower control arms and k member out of the sand. Crazy how much it sank and the wind piled up the sand around it. The rear axle was buried as well. I think with one used tire I’ll be able to load it up and get it on the trailer. Need to get my C20 to K20 conversion done so I can start putzing around on this one. I’m gonna try and get the original motor/transmission running and driving for now until I can get the LS swap parts together.
My buddy told me that the lady who owned it passed away shortly after pawing it in ‘03. It was her pride and joy and he held onto it so he could give her family a chance to come get it in her memory. Obviously that didn’t happen and here we are. I sat in the seat for the first time today. It’s a quite a bit more raw than my 5th Gen is. It’s going to make a good road race/autocross car. I love the gauges, they just scream race car to me for some reason. Here’s a few pictures from today.

Lol my jackass buddies at work are already asking me if the factory option clip on mullet is included with the car:lol:

Paul- you know you need another one in your life!
Ryan- that is a really kick ass car. I really like that build as a whole. Lots of attitude. I like the looks of these cars with 00’s Vette wheels.

FleetsidePaul 04-01-2022 11:13 PM

500 bucks? :eek: I would have been so all over that. I thought that I got mine cheap but you just whooped me. :metal:

I'll give you $600? :lol:

cwcarpenter98 04-01-2022 11:20 PM

Tach is already at full tilt, yup, that's just what the doctor ordered :)

FleetsidePaul 04-01-2022 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 9060158)
Tach is already at full tilt, yup, that's just what the doctor ordered :)

:lol: Yeah you're red lining. Take it easy on the old girl.

Just call me Sean 04-02-2022 04:17 AM

Business in the front, party in the back.

Dieselwrencher 04-02-2022 05:40 AM

My wife calls my car the mullet mobile so I either tell her I'm selling the house and moving us to the worst trailer park I can find, or I tell her I'll go to walmart and get yellow spray paint and park it out front for everyone to see daily. :lol: She hates that Bumble bee camaro. :lol:

FleetsidePaul 04-02-2022 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 9060210)
My wife calls my car the mullet mobile so I either tell her I'm selling the house and moving us to the worst trailer park I can find, or I tell her I'll go to walmart and get yellow spray paint and park it out front for everyone to see daily. :lol: She hates that Bumble bee camaro. :lol:

:lol: What's wrong with Bumble Bee? :lol:

Here's mine at the dealer. Now I just need a mullet.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/data/500/C7.jpeg

Dieselwrencher 04-02-2022 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 9060217)
[/B]

:lol: What's wrong with Bumble Bee? :lol:

Here's mine at the dealer. Now I just need a mullet.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/data/500/C7.jpeg

Dat ain't no Camara!!! :lol: Nice car!

FleetsidePaul 04-02-2022 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 9060288)
Dat ain't no Camara!!! :lol: Nice car!

My buddy who knows nothing about cars calls it a Camaro. :rolleyes:

57taskforce 04-02-2022 08:03 PM

That’s more of a hornet than a bumble bee:lol: I almost bought a 5th Gen transformers edition 2010 SS before I found my current car. Both the Transformers edition and my Aqua Blue Metallic car are low production units.
I’ll have a 7th Gen vette one of these days. They are my personal favorite Vette.

57taskforce 04-03-2022 03:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Started getting tires sorted out and everything ready to go so I can pick it up on Tuesday. Went up yesterday and pulled the 4th IROC wheel out of the back seat, in hopes of getting a used tire put on it so I could easily get it on a trailer… we’ll that ain’t happening. It had been sitting with the face of the wheel against the seat back so I never saw the damage. I did manage to get a used tire for the passenger rear. I mounted the 4th busted IROC wheel up while I was chasing a good used tire. The other 3 should hold air long enough to get me on and off the trailer. I’ve only got to go about 3 miles.

Now to decide if it’s time to buy a 16” IROC or a repro set of 17 or 18” IROC’s.

Kinda funny when I went to get a used tire the first shop I went to had a 21 year old guy working their (I had to ask how old he was) I said I needed a 245/50/16 roller tire for an ‘87 IROC-Z.
He said, “ what the hell is an IROC-Z” then I asked how old he was and we both got a bit of a laugh as I explained.

FleetsidePaul 04-03-2022 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 57taskforce (Post 9060873)
Started getting tires sorted out and everything ready to go so I can pick it up on Tuesday. Went up yesterday and pulled the 4th IROC wheel out of the back seat, in hopes of getting a used tire put on it so I could easily get it on a trailer… we’ll that ain’t happening. It had been sitting with the face of the wheel against the seat back so I never saw the damage. I did manage to get a used tire for the passenger rear. I mounted the 4th busted IROC wheel up while I was chasing a good used tire. The other 3 should hold air long enough to get me on and off the trailer. I’ve only got to go about 3 miles.

Now to decide if it’s time to buy a 16” IROC or a repro set of 17 or 18” IROC’s.

Kinda funny when I went to get a used tire the first shop I went to had a 21 year old guy working their (I had to ask how old he was) I said I needed a 245/50/16 roller tire for an ‘87 IROC-Z.
He said, “ what the hell is an IROC-Z” then I asked how old he was and we both got a bit of a laugh as I explained.

Ouch. That's a little more than a scratch on that rim. I like stock wheels but I might go with the 18's. Tough decision but it'll look great either way. I mostly worry about price and how they fit.

I'm sorry but a 21 year old guy should know about what came before him. I worked with this kid and he didn't know who Humphrey Bogart was. :confused: Bogart may have been before his time but he was before my time too and I knew who he was.

LS short box 04-03-2022 04:37 PM

Since you are buying new I would go new 18". Gives you more room for a brake upgrade.
Looks like the front and rear bumper covers are in good shape. But they may be brittle from all of the time in the sun.

joedoh 04-03-2022 05:14 PM

id like a third gen, havent found the right one yet. there was recently a local convertible for 2200 bucks, ran and drove, probably shoulda bought it. your crusty one is a great find too

FleetsidePaul 04-04-2022 04:40 AM

I saw this on CL. It wont pass smog and the guy says it needs everything. 140,000 miles on a broken odometer. He's asking $13,000 for it.

You got a smokin deal Tyler.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/data/500/IROC.jpg

FleetsidePaul 04-04-2022 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LS short box (Post 9060903)
Since you are buying new I would go new 18". Gives you more room for a brake upgrade.

Excellent point. I wanted to put some old school rims on my Mustang. Nope. Couldn't do it with the Wilwood brakes it had. I never cared for the wheels it had. I wanted Cragar's but I had to keep them for clearance.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...mustang_70.jpg

57taskforce 04-04-2022 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 9061126)
I saw this on CL. It wont pass smog and the guy says it needs everything. 140,000 miles on a broken odometer. He's asking $13,000 for it.

You got a smokin deal Tyler.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/data/500/IROC.jpg

I know:lol: I’ve been reading on the 5th Gen forums that the values on the 3rd Gens; especially the 1LE’s, and IROCS have been coming up in value big time. I saw where there were some real low mile all original loaded up IROCS that have sold at auction for 50-60K+ in the last year or two. The paint on this car is obviously roached but otherwise it’s in really good shape. I’m picking it up this evening when I get it home and cleaned out I’ll post up some good pictures of the interior. It’s got a date with the heated pressure washer later in the week as well.

Did I mention that the air pump, and air tubes as well as all the other emissions stuff is still on this car? :lol: I know you Cali guys probably hate me huh? I’m just gonna yank the whole motor and transmission complete and store them in the shop when I do the engine swap. That way I’ve got all the original stuff if I ever sell it. I think my son is going to get this car as his DD when he is old enough to drive. (He’s almost 6 so we’ve got time)

FleetsidePaul 04-04-2022 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 57taskforce (Post 9061161)
I know:lol: I’ve been reading on the 5th Gen forums that the values on the 3rd Gens; especially the 1LE’s, and IROCS have been coming up in value big time. I saw where there were some real low mile all original loaded up IROCS that have sold at auction for 50-60K+ in the last year or two. The paint on this car is obviously roached but otherwise it’s in really good shape. I’m picking it up this evening when I get it home and cleaned out I’ll post up some good pictures of the interior. It’s got a date with the heated pressure washer later in the week as well.

Did I mention that the air pump, and air tubes as well as all the other emissions stuff is still on this car? :lol: I know you Cali guys probably hate me huh? I’m just gonna yank the whole motor and transmission complete and store them in the shop when I do the engine swap. That way I’ve got all the original stuff if I ever sell it. I think my son is going to get this car as his DD when he is old enough to drive. (He’s almost 6 so we’ve got time)

The prices have gone nuts on Camaro's and Firebirds/Trans Am's. They used to call Camaro's the "Poor mans Corvette' but now you can get a Corvette cheaper. :lol:

Rickysnickers 04-04-2022 10:31 AM

$13K for an IROC that won't pass smog??? Ouch.

Boog 04-04-2022 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickysnickers (Post 9061200)
$13K for an IROC that won't pass smog??? Ouch.

^^^ And needs EVERYTHING. :lol:

Warrens69GMC 04-04-2022 01:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Check out the DSE Camaro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zQT6AMPMjg

Tracspec louvers, helpful to get heat out -
I have 18x8 and 18x9.5 Ridlers for 1982-1992 Camaro NIB
I have a 1982-1984 hood Repro if you want to use the Trackspec vents but dont want to cut your original hood

HO455 04-04-2022 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 57taskforce (Post 9060873)

Just a heads up. Those 80's IROC wheels are notorious for cracking around the hub area. For piece of mind I would have them checked.

It's odd how people remember things. My memories of the Z28 and the IROCs of the third generation are of GM resurrecting performance cars. Cars I wanted to own. Cars I could afford. The Grand Nationals were expensive and looked like a old man's Buick when you sat behind the wheel.

After the late 70's Camaros and Firebirds the 3rd generation cars had more horsepower, they were lighter, sounded better and for the first time they actually handled.

They looked so much better than the Mustangs and Dodge had gone front wheel drive so they weren't even on the list anymore.

They were the cars that sparked the performance cars of the early 90's. All the manufacturers built cars because the GM and Ford were successful in selling performance.

Just my take on the era.

FleetsidePaul 04-04-2022 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 9061265)
Just my take on the era.

You are so right. The early 80's was when I really first started making "good car' money. I could finally afford a nice car and there was really a limited choice. There was just a bunch of junk. I wanted a new convertible so my choices were a K car, or a Fiat. Not much of a choice. I finally bought a Corvette and it was a smog choked dog. It looked good but that was about it.

I'm glad to see performance cars coming back. I'd rather burn rubber than hug a tree