The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   60-66 Stepside rear step bumper modification (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=616543)

WhippinSaw 05-04-2014 04:20 PM

Re: 60-66 Stepside rear step bumper modification

4 Attachment(s)
Had some problems keeping my gap by the bumper tip where it meets the fender. Every time I would apply heat to the channel the gap would change no matter how I clamped it down. I decided to just "cold tack it" until I have the diamond plate welded in to keep the angle and then go back and put some heat on the frame. After some time off to get a new plan I blasted and primed the frame and had some diamond plate bent. When I cut the plate to size, do I leave a gap for the weld, or leave it flush with the edge of the bumper channel?
Thanks murphy98

WhippinSaw 05-04-2014 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1963c-10 (Post 6629744)
Nice work...looking good. Love the trim rings that you added to the rims also...looks great.

Thanks 1963c-10, and thank you for the beauty ring suggestion, I really like them.
Quote:

Originally Posted by T.J. MCCAULEY (Post 6629948)
Really nice work! Giving me ideas for when I possibly do mine! :metal:

Thanks TJ, Been snooping around in the projects and builds to get ideas,:metal:

murphy98 05-04-2014 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhippinSaw (Post 6659052)
Had some problems keeping my gap by the bumper tip where it meets the fender. Every time I would apply heat to the channel the gap would change no matter how I clamped it down. I decided to just "cold tack it" until I have the diamond plate welded in to keep the angle and then go back and put some heat on the frame. After some time off to get a new plan I blasted and primed the frame and had some diamond plate bent. When I cut the plate to size, do I leave a gap for the weld, or leave it flush with the edge of the bumper channel?
Thanks murphy98

Looking really good WhippinSaw! I can understand the trouble getting the gap right at the fender, hard to do a compound curve at the tip on thick material like that. I wonder if the original tips were done on some kind of stamping machine for consistency? I did leave the diamond plate set back from the edge of the bumper about 1/16" to allow room for the weld bead. Then I used a grinder to round over the edge & smooth out the welds to match the original continuous weld bead on the rest of the bumper.
You're doing a fantastic job, keep up the great work it will pay off when you're all done and ready for paint.
Murph

Jeff La 05-04-2014 11:00 PM

Nice work it's looking good.

WhippinSaw 06-27-2014 12:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff La (Post 6659646)
Nice work it's looking good.

Thanks for the encouragement Jeff, no experience at metal fab so I need all I can get.

I replaced my 55-59 drivers rear fender with a 60-66 fender, the 55-59 fenders are measurably and noticeably narrower than the 60-66. Shout out to TJ for shipping me a nice fender and informing me that I did have a 55-59 fender.

While I worked on replacing the fender I drove it around with a chopped barden bumper, I cut it short to remove some length from the straight part of the bumper and it looks better than it did already, it also weighs quite a bit less, like mentioned above, you could also cut the upper clevis plate out to reduce weight.

WhippinSaw 06-27-2014 01:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I solved my problem of the extensions moving while applying heat to the C channel, I welded on a piece of angle iron on to hold it in place with no clamps required, I tried it at first with a piece of diamond plate, but had to switch to quarter inch angle to keep it in place, still only tacking it in place except for the top which will be unaccessible when I get the diamond plate welded in,

WhippinSaw 06-27-2014 01:23 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Got the bumper tips bent up, I just put them in a vice and bent the ears down about 3/4 of an inch

WhippinSaw 06-27-2014 01:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I wasn't sure how to attach the extensions to the fender so I came up with carriage bolts and rubber plugs, I only needed one bolt per side because it was strong enough with just one, but I thought I would need the extra strength and the fender TJ sold me had 2 holes in it. This also allowed me to dial in the gap with the bolt holding the extension in place while the diamond plate is being installed.

WhippinSaw 06-27-2014 01:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
All the diamond plate has been cut and just making final adjustments and checking lines before I weld it up this weekend.

1963c-10 06-27-2014 02:47 PM

Nice work....can't wait to see it all done and painted!!!!

WhippinSaw 07-05-2014 08:22 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Put some braces at an angle and some 3/16th plate on the butt joints to keep everything in place, after all that work I didn't want it to move and between the braces and the diamond plate I felt comfortable welding up the frame.

WhippinSaw 07-05-2014 08:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
painted it with argent silver as suggested by members on the forum, They were right, looks like it just came out of the dealer, I like it :metal:

murphy98 07-05-2014 10:00 PM

Wow! Amazing job WhippinSaw! You'd never know it was not like that originally, looks like you just got the dealer to install it! Really love the paint choice too!
Looks perfect:metal: Congratulations.

Murph

WhippinSaw 07-07-2014 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murphy98 (Post 6749352)
Wow! Amazing job WhippinSaw! You'd never know it was not like that originally, looks like you just got the dealer to install it! Really love the paint choice too!
Looks perfect:metal: Congratulations.

Murph

Thanks for the compliment murphy98, I really like it, and thank you for your detailed mod and suggesting I could convert my fleetside bumper, I could never would of done it without your help, Thanks again murphy98

oem4me 07-07-2014 05:49 PM

Nice work on those bumpers, fellas! Really a good looking set-up.

Jeff La 07-07-2014 10:47 PM

Yes a great job