The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Vintage air in the 73-87 trucks questions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=470208)

i8tokyo 06-28-2011 04:12 PM

Re: Vintage air in the 73-87 trucks questions

Quote:

Originally Posted by veinbar (Post 4760687)
I'm assuming you pre-ordered this kit? Did they give you an estimated time of delivery? I have spoken with a sales person at Vintage Air and they told me that the release date has been bumped a few times. They're guess a week or so now, but that's been the estimate for over a month.

I actually pestered the poor guys at Vintage Air since March on the new Gen IV system for my truck. I'm sure Paul, Jon and Art are happier than I am that this system is out if for no other reason than to not hear from me. :) It has been one of those things where it will be available any day now, give us a call back next week. But as soon as it was ready, they gave me a call. It was released last Monday for the 1981 - Up trucks with factory air. I have confirmation that it shipped and hopefully will see it tomorrow or Thursday. I'm not sure which one they were discussing with you. But my guess is that it will be worth the wait.

boatpuller 06-28-2011 06:56 PM

mine is the older cable opererated system.there's no vaccum control like the stock systems.while it works fine,i wonder if it's possible for me to update mine to electronic? anybody got a pic of the controller?

Jonboy 06-28-2011 07:04 PM

From what I understand, the control head will look very similar to factory. There is a small ECU that takes the inputs from the control head, and then controls the functions of the unit. I looked at it some at GoodGuys this spring, but haven't seen it in the truck yet.

88Jimmy4x4 06-28-2011 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i8tokyo (Post 4758684)
I ordered the new gen IV (electronic kit). I didn't want to mess with the cable/vaccum kit and have been holding out until the new kit was released. Wheels of Time had to have it dropped shipped from Vintage Air, but I should have it in a couple days. When it arrives I'll take some pictures of the contents and do a step by step as I install it.

sweet, thanks for keeping us updated...sounds like you got a great price too :metal:

veinbar 06-29-2011 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonboy (Post 4760745)
I know the 81-up kit is done. They are finishing up the 73-80 kits now.

Then I am waiting for the 73-80 Gen IV unit. I've got almost $900 saved up so far. This will come just in time to keep me from buying a newer car as my daily driver.

BruthaMan 07-11-2011 01:38 PM

I called Vintage Air this morning and they are shipping the 73-80 kits as of last week.

Anyone have pics yet? We've disassembled the engine to add some AFR 195 Street Eliminators and new cam, so figured I'd get the Vintage Air at the same time.

88Jimmy4x4 07-11-2011 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruthaMan (Post 4784284)
I called Vintage Air this morning and they are shipping the 73-80 kits as of last week.

Anyone have pics yet? We've disassembled the engine to add some AFR 195 Street Eliminators and new cam, so figured I'd get the Vintage Air at the same time.

sweet...thanks for the update

Jonboy 07-11-2011 02:47 PM

I Will try and have pics tonight. It didn't go so hot last night......

BruthaMan 07-11-2011 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonboy (Post 4784413)

The install wasn't going good last night? Don't scare me like that! I just pulled the trigger about ten minutes ago!

veinbar 07-11-2011 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonboy (Post 4784413)

I hope the install is going better today. What was the total that you spent on the 73-80 system including shipping/handling? I am working this into my budget. Also, if you run into any snags along the way, please let us know.

1966bmx 07-11-2011 04:42 PM

i am very interested in the kit for my 77 cheyenne ..

boatpuller 07-11-2011 07:24 PM

mine wasn't too bad too install..the thing i had going for me was my cab was gutted and nothing was in the way.plus,it was a project not a daily driver.so,i could just walk away.i went ahead and dynamatted the heck out of it at the same time i was in there......hang in there jonboy you'll get it.

Jonboy 07-11-2011 10:25 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BruthaMan (Post 4784434)
The install wasn't going good last night? Don't scare me like that! I just pulled the trigger about ten minutes ago!

Do it! (see below)

Quote:

Originally Posted by veinbar (Post 4784548)
I hope the install is going better today. What was the total that you spent on the 73-80 system including shipping/handling? I am working this into my budget. Also, if you run into any snags along the way, please let us know.

I think the kit retails for around $1300. I got a little bit of a brother in law deal since they used my truck to develop it. Since you are so close, I would highly recommend trying to go down there one day and pick up a kit. Everyone there is really good people.

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatpuller (Post 4784902)
mine wasn't too bad too install..the thing i had going for me was my cab was gutted and nothing was in the way.plus,it was a project not a daily driver.so,i could just walk away.i went ahead and dynamatted the heck out of it at the same time i was in there......hang in there jonboy you'll get it.

Vintage Air used my truck for their prototype, so they actually installed the unit (and did a beautiful job, too). I brought it home last night from San Antonio, after spending the weekend there. When we got home, the main A/C unit in the house had gone out (it's actually still out and 90* in here.....). I did come home early from work, and snapped a couple of pictures. I still have a few loose ends to tie up from my engine swap, but I snapped a few pics this afternoon. My initial impressions are that it moves a lot more air than the original setup. The control head looks like it belongs there, and it smooths the firewall by getting rid of the evaporator box.

I have only puttered around my neighborhood so far. I think the gas has gone bad in the truck, and I do need to get another chip burned for it. No big deal, just need to find the time. I'm really just glad to have it back home. Anyhow, here are a few pics. If anyone wants any specific pics, let me know.

Greenlee 07-11-2011 10:59 PM

Looks good Jonboy! Where did you mount the computer for your TBI? I understand the Vintage Air interferes with the stock computer location. Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonboy (Post 4785296)
Do it! (see below)

I think the kit retails for around $1300. I got a little bit of a brother in law deal since they used my truck to develop it. Since you are so close, I would highly recommend trying to go down there one day and pick up a kit. Everyone there is really good people.

Vintage Air used my truck for their prototype, so they actually installed the unit (and did a beautiful job, too). I brought it home last night from San Antonio, after spending the weekend there. When we got home, the main A/C unit in the house had gone out (it's actually still out and 90* in here.....). I did come home early from work, and snapped a couple of pictures. I still have a few loose ends to tie up from my engine swap, but I snapped a few pics this afternoon. My initial impressions are that it moves a lot more air than the original setup. The control head looks like it belongs there, and it smooths the firewall by getting rid of the evaporator box.

I have only puttered around my neighborhood so far. I think the gas has gone bad in the truck, and I do need to get another chip burned for it. No big deal, just need to find the time. I'm really just glad to have it back home. Anyhow, here are a few pics. If anyone wants any specific pics, let me know.

Posted via Mobile Device

Jonboy 07-11-2011 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenlee (Post 4785409)
Looks good Jonboy! Where did you mount the computer for your TBI? I understand the Vintage Air interferes with the stock computer location. Thanks

Posted via Mobile Device

I used a www.fuelinjectionconnection.com harness. It has enough length to put the computer under the seat. The ESC module is next to it, and the ALDL is under the seat as well (but mounted to where it is easy to access.

Slonaker 07-12-2011 12:57 PM

Wow, Jonboy, I really failed om this one. I got my truck back a month before you, and still haven't posted pics. Now I guess I don't need to! :o

I took about two dozen pics of mine several weeks ago, but never got around to cropping and resizing them. Everything under the hood looks the same, and the controller looks the same except I have the '86 Silverado bezel.

Slonaker

boatpuller 07-12-2011 03:08 PM

that looks nice jonboy.i betcha your liking the cool air.
i need to find out if i can retro fit that controller...do you have a name for a knowledgble guy there at vintage air to talk too?

Jonboy 07-12-2011 03:15 PM

I dealt with the guys in R&D, but I bet the tech line guys could tell you what you would need to make it work. 1-800-862-6658 or tech@vintageair.com. I do know that the unit is the same in pretty much all of their kits, but the ECU and control panels are different per application. I don't know if the ECU would control an older box or not.

tucsonjwt 07-12-2011 04:16 PM

That heater control is much better than the stock one. The stock one has the small vertical lever for the fan control which is difficult to operate when you have big guy clumsy fingers like me - it is right up against the left side recess of the control - very ergonomically incorrect.

Jonboy 07-12-2011 05:55 PM

The nice things about the new controls is that they are really light to the touch. They are all electrically operated, so there are no cables to bind.

Slonaker 07-12-2011 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatpuller (Post 4786440)
that looks nice jonboy.i betcha your liking the cool air.
i need to find out if i can retro fit that controller...do you have a name for a knowledgble guy there at vintage air to talk too?

I'm 99% sure you can't use the new controller. The Gen IV evaporator shares nothing with the unit you have, AFAIK. Yours does not even have an ECU like the new ones. You can confirm that with their tech guy, Mark (Coolair here on the board), or talk to Art in Sales. Both of them know the systems inside and out, and are very good guys to deal with.

Patrick

SBTork 07-12-2011 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slonaker (Post 4786276)
Wow, Jonboy, I really failed om this one. I got my truck back a month before you, and still haven't posted pics. Now I guess I don't need to! :o

I took about two dozen pics of mine several weeks ago, but never got around to cropping and resizing them. Everything under the hood looks the same, and the controller looks the same except I have the '86 Silverado bezel.

Slonaker

I'd still like to see your pictures if you get a chance to post them. More the better.

Also, thanks a TON Jonboy. Your pictures and descriptions really helped me make a decision to purchase this kit. Thanks for taking the time.

BruthaMan 07-12-2011 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SBTork (Post 4786777)
I'd still like to see your pictures if you get a chance to post them. More the better.

I would too. Don't be holdin' out on a brutha, Slonaker!

88Jimmy4x4 07-16-2011 10:33 AM

Thanks for the pics Jonboy, I really want this setup now for my 76.

Does anyone have a part number for the 73-80 kits so I make sure I am ordering the correct new version?

I looked here but this hasnt been updated

http://www.vintageautoairconditioning.com/

BruthaMan 07-16-2011 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88Jimmy4x4 (Post 4793183)
Does anyone have a part number for the 73-80 kits so I make sure I am ordering the correct new version?

I looked here but this hasnt been updated

http://www.vintageautoairconditioning.com/

I ordered from this site. The kits are built to order.

On this page:

http://www.vintageautoairconditionin...7-84chevytruck

on the sidebar on the right, there are various links including two links for 73-80. One with factory air, one without. When you select the appropriate link, it will take you to a page to select options for the new Gen IV kit for 73-80 models.

I ordered my kit from them on Monday and it arrived yesterday (friday).

88Jimmy4x4 07-16-2011 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruthaMan (Post 4793257)

On this page:

on the sidebar on the right, there are various links including two links for 73-80. One with factory air, one without. When you select the appropriate link, it will take you to a page to select options for the new Gen IV kit for 73-80 models.

great...it says item # 944175 and $1199, I thought they cost more

BLE 'BURBAN 07-17-2011 03:05 AM

Anyone know if this DAKOTA DIGITAL CLIMATE CONTROL will work with the new GenIV system?

Hazieview 07-17-2011 06:04 AM

Heater hoses???? Maybe I misunderstood. I was under the impression that the heater would be totally electric so that you would not need the heater hoses...?

Looks sweet either way I way I was just hoping I could clean up my firewall just a little more. Thanks for the feedback on the kit! Congrats!

88Jimmy4x4 07-17-2011 06:42 AM

BruthaMan....would you mind opening up your kit and posting a pic of what all you get?

Desert1957 07-17-2011 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonboy (Post 4785296)
Do it! (see below)

Was your truck a non a/c truck to start with? Can't tell bye looking at your firewall picture.

Looks great bye the way...

Desert

BruthaMan 07-17-2011 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88Jimmy4x4 (Post 4794667)
BruthaMan....would you mind opening up your kit and posting a pic of what all you get?

Will do. Plan on taking some additional pics to show the install. It may be a day or so, as it came in two big boxes and one smaller box. Just opened one of the big boxes and it had more smaller boxes packed inside. We're finishing up the engine build today (see my build thread) and will hopefully start the VA install Monday or Tuesday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLE 'BURBAN (Post 4794566)
Anyone know if this DAKOTA DIGITAL CLIMATE CONTROL will work with the new GenIV system?

I don't know today, but I will know tomorrow. Plan on calling them in the morning. That's a sweet control unit and if it will work with the Gen IV, it's going in my truck!

88Jimmy4x4 07-17-2011 01:57 PM

Thanks BruthaMan, Im doing a new engine too and mine is currently out, thats one reason why I want to do this asap since I have room to work while its empty

Hazieview 07-17-2011 04:50 PM

So all the kits still require heater hoses?

Can u get a polished condensor?
Posted via Mobile Device

88Jimmy4x4 07-17-2011 09:57 PM

so does this still blow out of ALL of the factory vents?

Jonboy...any pics showing the under dash unit?

Jonboy 07-18-2011 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88Jimmy4x4 (Post 4795915)
so does this still blow out of ALL of the factory vents?

Jonboy...any pics showing the under dash unit?

It does blow out all of the factory vents (locations). It blows really cold, too. I drove it to work this morning to get a state inspection, so I will get a pic of the box under the dash. It really doesn't look much different than the stock one, until you look underneath. The box is a little bigger, but the kit comes with a part to take out a little of the inside of the glove box.

veinbar 07-18-2011 03:21 PM

Are there any discounts on this Gen IV unit floating about the internet? It doesn't hurt to save wherever you can. Thank you for posting pics and info gents. This thread has been extemely helpful.

Jonboy 07-18-2011 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruthaMan (Post 4793257)

On this page:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88Jimmy4x4 (Post 4794189)
great...it says item # 944175 and $1199, I thought they cost more

I am pretty sure list for the kit is around $1300. The website says to compare it at 10% off, that looks about right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desert1957 (Post 4794775)
Was your truck a non a/c truck to start with? Can't tell bye looking at your firewall picture.

Looks great bye the way...

Desert

Thanks for the props. My truck was originally A/C equipped. The holes are bigger in the firewall for the A/C trucks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hazieview (Post 4795346)
So all the kits still require heater hoses?

Can u get a polished condensor?
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes, you will still need heater hoses. Not sure about a polished condensor, as that is hidden. Pretty sure you can get a polished compressor, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by veinbar (Post 4797073)
Are there any discounts on this Gen IV unit floating about the internet? It doesn't hurt to save wherever you can. Thank you for posting pics and info gents. This thread has been extemely helpful.

Check out the link Wade (BruthaMan) posted. It looks like about 10% off.

GmtGmt 07-18-2011 06:50 PM

so is this new Eletrical opprated system Climate Control or is it just you regular plain A/C?

i have a complete climate control unit very small size fits right up under the dash, Im wanting to adabt to my crew cab but if i can get it all ready to plug and play i dont want to bother even trying

veinbar 07-20-2011 11:11 AM

Out of the many members ordering the Gen IV system, how many of you are installing it yourselves? If you have already installed this system on your truck, how difficult was the installation?

Jonboy 07-20-2011 12:21 PM

I didn't install my kit, but I did look at the instructions for the other Gen IV kits. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined, I don't think it will be too bad.