The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   link to mustang gas tank install (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=489285)

whitedog76 03-11-2017 06:57 PM

Re: link to mustang gas tank install

If I remember correctly, someone on this site installed a Suzuki Sidekick tank on the framerails like the 47/48 trucks.

There are 11 gallon, 14 gallon, and 18 gallon models. Not to mention they are fuel injection ready. Sending units are another matter. A universal kit will need to be installed.

TA1754 03-12-2017 02:52 PM

I Removed the mustang gas tank that my fab guy installed.
He mounted it below the frame rails, & double shimmed it with square tube channel & dropped it down even further.
Looks like crap, hanging down way to low, & the full 90 fuel hose he used won't allow me to put a fuel nozzle in.
I'm thinking about grinding off the spacers he welded in, & bolting directly on the bottom of the frame rails, instead of inside the frame rails.
Can't see gaining that much more clearance if installing inside the rails.
And I won't have to relocate the cross member, or trim the frame rails.
Seems this would still allow me to use a 90 degree fuel neck, & have the cap behind a flip down license plate.
If you want something done right, gotta do it yourself.

dwcsr 03-12-2017 06:18 PM

I agree on removing the tube frame and not putting inside the rails. I would not use a 90 on the fill. Its to short and it will back flow when you fill it. get a new tank neck like the one I posted (70 degree) so the hose slopes down toward the tank.

TA1754 03-29-2017 02:32 PM

I decided to scrap the mustang tank option, & decided to go with the 59-60 car gas tank option.
So if anybody in Houston area needs a NEW mustang tank, I'll be selling mine.
As far as installing a flip up/down license plate to access the filler neck, I assume this is bolted to the bottom cross sill?
Or do I need to fabricate something for that?
Looks to me it can only be a flip up if bolted to the cross sill, a flip down seems like it would be too high, & hit the bottom of the tail gate.

57chevyman 03-29-2017 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA1754 (Post 7882082)
Is your truck a '57 stepside?
You using a stock rear bumper, or roll pan?
Did you end up using a flexible hose from the fuel neck, & a flip up or down license plate door.
I assume that bend for the fuel neck is a 70 degree from tanks inc.
I paid a fab guy to 4 link my rear, & install the mustang tank, but he shimmed the tank down below the frame rails, then he installed a 90 degree rubber fuel neck.
Looks like crap, & can't put a fuel nozzel in it.
I'm thinking i need remove the 2" sq tubing shims, install the same fuel neck as you.
Please advise

sorry i never saw this, so its a late reply...
yes its a stepside
stock rear bumper
yes that fuel neck with the bend came with the tank from tanks inc
yes i used a flexible fuel hose. i made my own flip down license plate by combining the stock license plate braket and a universal flip down bracket. getting the custom braket welded to the rear sill was not an easy job. an old friend of mine with 40 years of welding / metal work experience was able to do it.

57chevyman 03-29-2017 11:24 PM

5 Attachment(s)
filler pics

TA1754 04-05-2017 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 57chevyman (Post 7900750)
sorry i never saw this, so its a late reply...
yes its a stepside
stock rear bumper
yes that fuel neck with the bend came with the tank from tanks inc
yes i used a flexible fuel hose. i made my own flip down license plate by combining the stock license plate braket and a universal flip down bracket. getting the custom braket welded to the rear sill was not an easy job. an old friend of mine with 40 years of welding / metal work experience was able to do it.

Thank You

59chevy310p 04-17-2017 11:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just got done doing a mustang tank in my 59 stepside and love it way easy and fun to do can't even see it.

Bigt94550 04-17-2017 11:59 PM

That looks nice @ 59chevy310p. Where did you route the filler?

59chevy310p 04-18-2017 12:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks its my first time doing a rat rod resto on a vwhical. Gonna do it up through the wood bed onice I get the wood in lol still trying to figure out with what I want to do with the truck this is what it looked like before I tore it down to the frame want it lower but I really don't have a shop to work on it so I have been doing all my work outside on the gravel. It will get there in time just enjoy these trucks I guess thats why I have 3 of them lol