The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   69 GMC "Ol' Blue" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=339960)

mjensen 03-13-2015 07:49 PM

Re: 69 GMC "Ol' Blue"

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7dee2 (Post 7074244)
So here are some more pics for thought? The lower part is shaped like you said do you wanna try it? Pull the headrests, recover and she'd be a beauty. This is the seat somebody put in our old motorhome in front of the pass-thru. :crazy:

Brett, sorry for the delayed response! I've been pretty busy with work. In fact, I'm on a plan now coming back from Detroit.

Anyway, that seat looks like it may work out a bit better than the one I have. Maybe we should give that a shot and see?

7dee2 03-13-2015 08:31 PM

No problem PM me when you are ready.

americanmusc1e 04-13-2015 12:38 PM

How's the progress coming? Work keeping you busy?

mjensen 04-13-2015 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by americanmusc1e (Post 7131416)
How's the progress coming? Work keeping you busy?

Progress has come to a screeching halt. Between work, and the setbacks, I've really had a hard time even looking at it. I'll get back on it, but I need to either walk away for a bit, or have some car buddies come over and help get me motivated again. :)

72Kermit 04-18-2015 06:33 PM

So that sounds like an invite for a road trip.. ..:blz2:

mjensen 04-19-2015 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72Kermit (Post 7138389)
So that sounds like an invite for a road trip.. ..:blz2:

Haha! That is totally an invite! :metal:

mjensen 06-07-2015 10:17 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Ok, so I have still been slacking on the truck. I am going to get out in the garage today and at least clean up around it so that I can at least look at it. Maybe that will help :lol:

In the meantime, I've been out playing in the mud and had to upgrade to a DMax to pull the toy hauler :)

$25.00 at the car wash, and this mud still didn't come completely off!:lol:
Attachment 1412672

Attachment 1412673

This truck pulls the trailer so well, I may need to get a bigger trailer! :)
Attachment 1412674

swamp rat 06-07-2015 10:46 PM

I'm sorry do i know you? mjensen......mjensen.... Hummm.... J/K!

Welcome back and that's some sweet looking toys you have too! As much as I'd love to have a brand new truck i just cannot spend that kinda money and or payments right now so you enjoy that truck!

Hey we all need to take breaks from our projects now and then! :)

rgunlock 06-08-2015 07:31 AM

Sweet! But you have to show all your toys a little love:lol:

Dieselwrencher 06-08-2015 07:38 PM

Nice new truck and sweet set up! It looks like you had some serious fun in all that mud!

mjensen 06-10-2015 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp rat (Post 7201843)
I'm sorry do i know you? mjensen......mjensen.... Hummm.... J/K!

Welcome back and that's some sweet looking toys you have too! As much as I'd love to have a brand new truck i just cannot spend that kinda money and or payments right now so you enjoy that truck!

Hey we all need to take breaks from our projects now and then! :)

After pulling with this diesel, I will never go back to a gasser :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgunlock (Post 7202093)
Sweet! But you have to show all your toys a little love:lol:

This is true! I guess it's time to regroup and get to work on old blue :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 7202820)
Nice new truck and sweet set up! It looks like you had some serious fun in all that mud!

Thanks! We had a ton of fun! The RZR is still a filthy beast even after a $25.00 car wash effort :lol:

americanmusc1e 06-10-2015 11:02 PM

I'm no stranger to powersports and mudding, but that's no excuse for no progress lol.

Get busy! It's time to drive that truck!

http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/w...ps1lfceroa.jpg

mjensen 06-10-2015 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by americanmusc1e (Post 7205627)
I'm no stranger to powersports and mudding, but that's no excuse for no progress lol.

Get busy! It's time to drive that truck!

http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/w...ps1lfceroa.jpg

haha! The hardest part is just getting over the overwhelming nature of a project like this. I did get in the garage and move a couple things around...but that's it :lol:

7dee2 06-11-2015 11:26 AM

That's a start! I did that recently and it did lead to a few forward steps. So go back in the garage, setup a chair, crack a beer and look at it. What's the next step today?

Oh, BTW $25 a shot you could own a pressure washer in no time? :devil:

mjensen 06-12-2015 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7dee2 (Post 7206049)
That's a start! I did that recently and it did lead to a few forward steps. So go back in the garage, setup a chair, crack a beer and look at it. What's the next step today?

Oh, BTW $25 a shot you could own a pressure washer in no time? :devil:

Haha...we have a pressure washer...just didn't want all the mud in our yard LOL

americanmusc1e 06-15-2015 10:25 AM

Mike I'm going to have to kick you into gear.

My dad has his Model B John Deere in the shop right now, so this weekend I built an entirely new exhaust system and tacked my front bumper together. while dodging rain showers all weekend. :hm:

http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/w...psj8qktbqs.jpg

mjensen 06-15-2015 11:00 PM

Looking good Josh! I got out and cleaned my garage, so now I can at least get to it! :lol:

mjensen 06-28-2015 02:29 PM

Ok, I'm trying to make a decision here. I have the stock wiring harness out of the '91 blazer, as well as the engine harness out of a '94 truck. I have had the hardest time making a decision on how to simplify and combine the harnesses together. I'm starting to think maybe I should just buy an aftermarket harness. The '91 harness has many circuits that ran all the power accessories which I will not need. What do you all think?

Also, I think I'm going to run the LMC AC system instead of trying to retrofit the Blazer's AC.

rgunlock 06-29-2015 11:53 AM

Can't really help you with the wiring question. I'm reading a couple of automotive electrical books just to prepare for using an aftermarket harness. Didn't want to try to refurbish my old one or sort through a couple newer ones I've saved from donor vehicles. Given how little I know about wiring, I figured I had better keep it as simple as possible for myself.

I'd seen an email ad showing LMC now has the aftermarket AC, but didn't really look into it. How does it compare price-wise to something like Vintage Air? I liked the idea of VA because it has local technical support and I could find a lot of reviews for it.

cmabolt 06-29-2015 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjensen (Post 7224191)
Ok, I'm trying to make a decision here. I have the stock wiring harness out of the '91 blazer, as well as the engine harness out of a '94 truck. I have had the hardest time making a decision on how to simplify and combine the harnesses together. I'm starting to think maybe I should just buy an aftermarket harness. The '91 harness has many circuits that ran all the power accessories which I will not need. What do you all think?

Also, I think I'm going to run the LMC AC system instead of trying to retrofit the Blazer's AC.

I recommend American Autowire. Very good harness, very good diagrams and a few extra circuits if you need them. I had never done a re-wire myself and was able to do it with relative ease. I also had to modify for LS. So if I can do it...,

mjensen 06-29-2015 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgunlock (Post 7225130)
Can't really help you with the wiring question. I'm reading a couple of automotive electrical books just to prepare for using an aftermarket harness. Didn't want to try to refurbish my old one or sort through a couple newer ones I've saved from donor vehicles. Given how little I know about wiring, I figured I had better keep it as simple as possible for myself.

I'd seen an email ad showing LMC now has the aftermarket AC, but didn't really look into it. How does it compare price-wise to something like Vintage Air? I liked the idea of VA because it has local technical support and I could find a lot of reviews for it.

I've decided that I'm going to go with an aftermarket harness. After trying to cut a lot of the wires out, it's just not going to look very good (or it will be very difficult to make look decent. I'm not sure how good of a unit the one from LMC is, but it is a little over $1k. The VA unit is a few hundred more, but on days like today (105 degrees) that would be the last thing I would want to fail!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmabolt (Post 7225158)
I recommend American Autowire. Very good harness, very good diagrams and a few extra circuits if you need them. I had never done a re-wire myself and was able to do it with relative ease. I also had to modify for LS. So if I can do it...,

I actually read through your post again to see what harness you went with, and looked up the AA. It seems like a really good product, but is it really worth double the cost?

cmabolt 06-29-2015 09:00 PM

Well for me research was very helpful and most people I read about thought the AA
harnesses very good. There are several out there, but I wanted a factory replacement
That was made for resto-mod type modifications. I found it to be good quality with good tech support on several occasions. That was a big one for me. Cost of course is an individual
Thing. There's always gone be a kit for less or a kit that is more. Just my 2 cents

mjensen 06-29-2015 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmabolt (Post 7225520)
Well for me research was very helpful and most people I read about thought the AA
harnesses very good. There are several out there, but I wanted a factory replacement
That was made for resto-mod type modifications. I found it to be good quality with good tech support on several occasions. That was a big one for me. Cost of course is an individual
Thing. There's always gone be a kit for less or a kit that is more. Just my 2 cents

Awesome! Thank you for the advice!

mjensen 06-30-2015 10:38 PM

Ok, some forward progress! Even if it is just working out the Amex! I ordered the AC Unit, wiring harness, steering parts, and exhaust. Man my fingers are tired!

mud.man.rj 07-02-2015 12:38 AM

Think your tired now, once you get the parts have to install them..

mjensen 07-02-2015 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mud.man.rj (Post 7228373)
Think your tired now, once you get the parts have to install them..

No!!!!! I was hoping some friends would stop by and do it for me! :lol:

I'm hoping this will be the kick in the pants that I need to get rolling again!

mud.man.rj 07-02-2015 11:37 PM

Well maybe your friends will stop by and kick you in the pants :lol: It is nice to get new parts friends or all you.

mjensen 07-02-2015 11:41 PM

Ha!

Well, thanks to this forum I was able to order all the parts for my drag link. Somehow I lost the original one. Oh well, the ends probably needed to be replaced anyway. :lol: I should have a little bit to do tomorrow!

mud.man.rj 07-02-2015 11:46 PM

At least you can find parts somewhere somehow when it is a Gm product, I just bought a 77 Jeep Cherokee Chief wide axle, wow, most of it is AMC, so still trying to figure out what parts are from who, very interesting truck but has personality.

mjensen 07-03-2015 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mud.man.rj (Post 7229311)
At least you can find parts somewhere somehow when it is a Gm product, I just bought a 77 Jeep Cherokee Chief wide axle, wow, most of it is AMC, so still trying to figure out what parts are from who, very interesting truck but has personality.

That is so true! Sounds like a great project! Well, except for the PITA of finding parts :lol:

mud.man.rj 07-03-2015 04:09 PM

The challenge is part of the fun in building it, or make parts..

mjensen 07-08-2015 11:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Yeah! Parts came! This weekend should see some progress!!

Attachment 1423644

Attachment 1423645

Dieselwrencher 07-08-2015 11:41 PM

Nice parts pile brother!

mjensen 07-08-2015 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 7235185)
Nice parts pile brother!

Thanks! I even got a free hat! :lol:

mcbassin 07-09-2015 07:59 AM

Awesome parts score!

rgunlock 07-09-2015 10:25 PM

Uh-oh, you've got no excuse not to get busy now :lol:

mjensen 07-10-2015 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 7235352)
Awesome parts score!

Thanks Mike!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgunlock (Post 7236259)
Uh-oh, you've got no excuse not to get busy now :lol:

No kidding right?:lol:

Now I just need to figure out how to cram all this crap in there!

mjensen 07-11-2015 12:21 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Very small update, but I was able to get the cargo light installed. It was a little nerve-racking because it never had one before, and I was hoping my measurements were right. I think it turned out pretty good though!

Attachment 1424238

Attachment 1424239

Attachment 1424240

rgunlock 07-11-2015 10:54 AM

Looks centered and even - nice job!

mjensen 07-11-2015 12:05 PM

Thanks Rick! I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Not too bad for a computer geek :lol:

Today, I'll be working on the drag link, AC Vents and firewall, possibly a little of the wiring harness. I'm trying to get all of the cab modifications done so that I can send this puppy down to a friend to get some paint on it. I still have a ways to go for that, but hopefully I can be done slicing and dicing this weekend.