The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Cheap Tricks (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=489394)

Palf70Step 06-23-2019 02:56 PM

Re: Cheap Tricks

Nice Idea!!

cornerstone 06-24-2019 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuccales (Post 8547216)
I've used this wheel cylinder pin for years as my "dedicated fuel line plug".

Good one. I’m gonna pull one out of the old spare drum brake rear end now! Thanks Yuccales👍🏼

jjzepplin 06-24-2019 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuccales (Post 8547216)
I've used this wheel cylinder pin for years as my "dedicated fuel line plug". Works great on 5/16 and 3/8 fuel line. Does not leak a drop. The slot slips over our cross members and keeps the line out of the way while changing out fuel pumps. The slot gives you a good grip when your hands are covered with oil or gas.

Great idea! I am wondering what that pair of silver flat jawed pliers are in the background. I have a set and have no idea what they are for.

yuccales 06-24-2019 10:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjzepplin (Post 8547908)
Great idea! I am wondering what that pair of silver flat jawed pliers are in the background. I have a set and have no idea what they are for.

Not sure what they are for, but I know I've used them for these pesky hose clamps for the better part of 30 years. They came in a coffee can full of tools at a yard sale. I think I gave a buck or two for the can full! Just found this info about them:

"The William Schollhorn Company of New Haven, Connecticut was a well-known maker of parallel-jaw pliers and other tools in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The company was incorporated in 1891 and remained active through the first part of the 20th century, and was eventually acquired by the Sargent Company in 1948.

Schollhorn is probably best known for its distinctive parallel-jaw pliers, produced under the numerous patents issued to W.A. Bernard. These pliers featured precisely-formed sheet metal handles with embossed designs, a type of construction that offered lighter weight and lower cost than comparable forged handles. "

72c20customcamper 06-26-2019 09:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Tent spike for a pint/quart paint mixer. Works great mixing 2k high build primer.

blazer2007 06-27-2019 09:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My tape measure holder from those fence rail brackets

Whamo 08-08-2019 09:08 PM

bump

richard2717 08-11-2019 12:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Did the wife leave you with the baby for the day? Got work to do in the garage? No problem with the baby swing lift 2000

Steeveedee 08-11-2019 04:21 PM

I don't know if I'd want the barf/poop dispenser swinging over my head while I'm working. :lol:

kidatheart 02-27-2020 09:04 PM

sure are a lot of good ideas on here-wish I could remember them all

richard2717 03-03-2021 12:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Can't find your snap ring pliers......no problem

Grumpy old man 03-03-2021 02:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The easy way of Polishing stainless trim . :chevy:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=765868

70STOVEBOLT 03-03-2021 05:59 PM

Great old thread brought back from the dead!

fun in dirt 05-24-2021 09:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Garage door seal works perfect for between hood & its braces. Get a big roll at local hardware store.

leddzepp 05-24-2021 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fun in dirt (Post 8924242)
Garage door seal works perfect for between hood & its braces. Get a big roll at local hardware store.

Great idea. I’m going to try this.

72c20customcamper 05-24-2021 06:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I thought I posted this but gas line worm clamps work great to remove ebrake cables.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 05-27-2021 02:09 AM

Don't know about you guys, but I generally service rubber parts using a blow dryer.

Speak of rubber parts, boots clean up nicely with a Dremel & brass wheel. WD-40 will get off any crud though I treat it afterwards, it's not meant for rubber parts.

The ultimate can't get the rubber on is dishwashing liquid. No comments the peanut gallery, I know how some of you think:lol: The bumpers on on the A-arms weren't going in without it and then they popped right in. Probably not so kind to rubber either so wash that off I guess, what do I know.

Everyone understand white vinegar is the cheap & ultimate rust/plating/coating remover right;) Okay maybe not ultimate, a little must for rust in the mix will expedite the process, learned that one from a board member.

Easy one, but if you like your nuts & bolts clean taped open end wrenches goes a long way. I use tape all the time, threw a couple layers on fresh upper radiator brackets today to install the u-nuts, I had to get a little rough with them prior to the second refinished:metal: Speak of, GM factory didn't necessarily install fan shrouds right, at least not on my BBC. Had to bend the upper brackets and the lip on the core support that was missed. There's why so many shrouds were hit by fan blades at the bottom, IMO, but I'm just a beginner for what worth.

Oh yeah;) Neoprene rubber sheets where you might want some padding. I use the 1/32" mostly, used it for bed pads though really I could have gotten away with 1/16" or so. I think even the 32 is rated something like 800 lbs. or so for what worth. Sometimes I install brackets with it, option for gasket in places. Double sided gift wrap tape keeps it in place, who knew, besides my mom maybe;) she hoarded the stuff so no shortage of it.

Wow, there's some really good stuff above posts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard2717 (Post 8509691)
Its actually a funny that I saved but thought this post should be brought back ttt

Need a jump but forgot your cables..... no problem :lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: