The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   702 GMC V-12 powered '62 GMC 1-ton (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=254111)

A.T. RockDriller 06-12-2011 12:19 AM

Re: 702 GMC V-12 powered '62 GMC 1-ton

2 Attachment(s)
Ok....
I sure didn't think I would be chipping in on this ....but.......
Here ya' go.
Me, having a GMC V-6 in the ol' '63, right out there in the driveway, affords me the opportunity to speculate in person on the dimensional challenges at hand.
First of all....I sure wish you had a mid-'60's GMC to relocate that power-plant into.
That being said, The double six configuration...(other than the weight) sure wouldn't interrupt the passenger compartment nearly as much as you might think.
I encourage you to measure twice on this one.
If you were to mount it so the front six sat a few inches forward of where the stock V-6 sits....shorten up the fan assembly....cut the firewall and floor-boards a bit.....you might be able to get by with picking up the dog-house engine cover off of a P-30 van or something like that.
Bucket seats, a little fabbing....convert the "industrial/Truck bell housing bolt pattern to the light truck set-up...
Maybe go with an over-drive automatic tranny.
The weight thing sounds bad, but it's no big thing to put 1500 pounds over your steer axle. Some of that weight will transfer back anyway.

I'm thinkin' it might not be that extreme of a conversion, if you look closely at the amount of real estate available behind the core-support.
Maybe.

We'll be watchin' you.

A.T. RockDriller 06-12-2011 12:31 AM

OK, Coyoterun....
You kick A$$.
I just watched your video.
I am late on my arm-chair quarterbackin', for sure.
Very neat.

I love the whole thing....as it is.

watahyahknow 06-12-2011 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A.T. RockDriller (Post 4730654)
Ok....
I sure didn't think I would be chipping in on this ....but.......
Here ya' go.
Me, having a GMC V-6 in the ol' '63, right out there in the driveway, affords me the opportunity to speculate in person on the dimensional challenges at hand.
First of all....I sure wish you had a mid-'60's GMC to relocate that power-plant into.
That being said, The double six configuration...(other than the weight) sure wouldn't interrupt the passenger compartment nearly as much as you might think.
I encourage you to measure twice on this one.
If you were to mount it so the front six sat a few inches forward of where the stock V-6 sits....shorten up the fan assembly....cut the firewall and floor-boards a bit.....you might be able to get by with picking up the dog-house engine cover off of a P-30 van or something like that.
Bucket seats, a little fabbing....convert the "industrial/Truck bell housing bolt pattern to the light truck set-up...
Maybe go with an over-drive automatic tranny.
The weight thing sounds bad, but it's no big thing to put 1500 pounds over your steer axle. Some of that weight will transfer back anyway.

I'm thinkin' it might not be that extreme of a conversion, if you look closely at the amount of real estate available behind the core-support.
Maybe.

We'll be watchin' you.

for the doghouse you could use a bucket from a wheelbarrow cut and welded to fit , its steel and will weld to the floor nicely
as for coupling two sixes : http://twotogo.homestead.com/index.html

_Ogre 07-12-2013 02:22 PM

very cool build Cayoterun, very cool :D
life is full of circles, i found a link to this thread over on hotrodders.com

TJ's Chevy 07-17-2013 12:27 PM

Sweet v-12! I think only about thirteen of those were made and they were only in production for four years! I saw a guy who was selling one on youtube who had dual 500 cfm holley two barrels on it and a performance cam. That thing did 5,000 rpm! Not heard of from the factory! You would be lucky if you got 3,000 rpm out of it stock. Anyway have fun finding parts for that thing. Stock hp was 250 at 2,400 rpm and stock torque was 630 at 1,600 rpm.

1963c-10 07-17-2013 01:59 PM

I personally know where one is sitting in Fayetteville NC that I have laid eyes on (owner would not allow pictures in his yard), and he will not let loose of.

watahyahknow 07-17-2013 02:00 PM

i wouldnt want to run it that high , unless he put in a forced crank

i seen a slowmotion movie (still wondering how they did that one) that showed a crank from the front of an engine running at ful power its like watching someone trying to spin a hoelahoop but horizontal the way it slings around with only the ends and the middle hold in place
now immagine that with a longer crank and lesser crankbearings and you know why those engines never where made to rev high

jonzcustomshop 07-17-2013 07:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by T.J. MCCAULEY (Post 6177242)
Sweet v-12! I think only about thirteen of those were made and they were only in production for four years! I saw a guy who was selling one on youtube who had dual 500 cfm holley two barrels on it and a performance cam. That thing did 5,000 rpm! Not heard of from the factory! You would be lucky if you got 3,000 rpm out of it stock. Anyway have fun finding parts for that thing. Stock hp was 250 at 2,400 rpm and stock torque was 630 at 1,600 rpm.

they probably made more than 13... check out this photo...at least 24-

gofastnut 07-17-2013 11:04 PM

Really neat thread! Thanks Cayote, for a good ride!

cayoterun 10-24-2013 11:55 AM

I haven't checked in on this thread in some time, so thought I'd give an update.
"Balaur" is still sitting in the Cimarron Heritage Center, Boise City, Okla. She is still a popular exibit they say. I had restored a '47 Spartan trailer house for them, so they show them together.
They had been parked outside, since they both have propane tanks on them, so can't put them in a heated enclosed public building. They decided to build a "lean-to" with an open end and no heat to protect them.

Since "Balaur", I found another V12, so put it on a '84 GMC 3/4T frame, and covered it with a "46 Chevy pickup sheetmetal/w a 700r4 overdrive tranny.
It made a good driving, fun old truck. It's ready for cosmetics and paint, but I like it as is, so is on hold for the present. It's build is on this site, if interested.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=413154

The mis-titled thread is explained in the thread, why the evolution from '84 GMC to '46 Chevy.

Thanks to everyone for taking these rides with this ol' timer, but Fathertime slows us all down, so probably this will be my last serious project. UNLESS, of course, If I find another old V12, that needs preservation and the addiction overcomes me-------?

OrrieG 10-10-2014 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy (Post 6177242)

This thread was linked from one I started. Here is what I found.

"For comparison, GMC produced less than 5,000 V-12's and we estimate less than 200 remain."

From this site:
http://www.thunderv12.com/

watahyahknow 10-10-2014 03:57 AM

the blastoline brothers made a art type car that is powered bij one of the gmc v12's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIlQp8q7NA4