The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   70 Blazer Frame Off (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645076)

IronCanine 06-19-2015 07:52 PM

Re: 70 Blazer Frame Off

Quote:

Originally Posted by smbrouss70 (Post 7215201)
Very nice! I really need to refurbish my top.

Thanks Steven. I often wonder if this single wall with all our fitment fiddling fits better or worse than the original double wall did from the factory.

smbrouss70 06-20-2015 12:46 AM

I can tell you from experience, that the double wall tops don't fit any better. I bought it without a top, and since I put it on, I've only taken it off twice. I really have to push and tweak it to get it to line up again. Now that it has new weatherstripping and "sort-of" seals up, I may not take it off again.

IronCanine 06-25-2015 08:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Top's finished.

IronCanine 06-25-2015 08:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
...few more.

IronCanine 06-25-2015 08:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If the weather works out, we'll try to get the top on this weekend. I'm glad that we're so close to the end...but I gotta admit, I was sad to see Eric's next project parked in front of the shop today (the pictured red matching numbers Bel Air):(. More than finishing the top, that signaled the impending end to this build.

Of course there are some minor odds and ends to handle like window felts, tailgate weatherstrip, and seat belts. I'll post on that as well as some completed "after" pics for this thread. Hopefully, all will get done before her first show on July 4th.

Chulisohombre 06-26-2015 10:19 AM

That tops going to look nice. I need that treatment for mine. I am in the same boat as you. Since I am replacing all the weather strip and all that I'm thinking I'm just going to leave mine on for awhile. Off is fun but a pain to get on and off sometimes.

IronCanine 06-26-2015 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chulisohombre (Post 7222125)
That tops going to look nice. I need that treatment for mine. I am in the same boat as you. Since I am replacing all the weather strip and all that I'm thinking I'm just going to leave mine on for awhile. Off is fun but a pain to get on and off sometimes.

Thanks. I have enjoyed it off, but I've got a sneaking suspicion that when it goes on it'll stay there.

Just as an FYI...most of my weatherstripping came from Precision, but the single wall quarter glass WS is a little harder to come by...Precision only carries double wall. I got mine through Truck Shop, but it came from Steele. I would have ordered it directly from them, as I had gotten one or two bits of rubber from them previously, but they did not have it listed on their website. TruckShop was the only listing I found. I was glad to see Steele was the manufacturer...it gave me a little more confidence in it's longevity/performance.

DeadheadNM 06-26-2015 03:39 PM

Amazing work!

Dare I ask...is the build done?

Chulisohombre 06-26-2015 03:49 PM

Windshield I got from precision. Worked out well. Installer said it was perfect. I'll be using them for my needs in the future.

IronCanine 06-26-2015 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 7222543)
Amazing work!

Dare I ask...is the build done?

;) Thanks Pete. We're c-c-c-close. Here's the punch list, all of which should happen before next weekend:

1) Top on
2) Seat belts in
3) Window felts/rubber (I've been putting this off because the passenger side has to be fitted. The clips don't hit out exactly with the new door skin.)
4) Tailgate weatherstrip
5) Windshield wipers (easiest of the bunch)
6)...and I've got to find a lug wrench, finish painting the tire tools, and get the spare tire tools decal done (which I was gonna keep low-key till it got done, but we're on the second revision right now so hopefully it's not too far away).

I'll call it done without #6. Even though I kind of don't want it to end, the minute I get 1-5 done I'm gonna change my avatar.

mx289 06-27-2015 06:13 PM

Fantastic looking truck and congrats on being almost done.;)

As said before,your attention detail and documention on this thread will help many.

Stellar work.

IronCanine 06-27-2015 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mx289 (Post 7223499)
Fantastic looking truck and congrats on being almost done.;)

As said before,your attention detail and documention on this thread will help many.

Stellar work.

Thanks Tom.

DeadheadNM 06-27-2015 07:26 PM

Just a plug for Brad's build on the current truck of the month contest: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=674464

Make sure to vote. Good luck!

IronCanine 06-27-2015 08:08 PM

Thanks Pete...that's very nice.

TBONE1964 06-27-2015 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 7223553)
Just a plug for Brad's build on the current truck of the month contest: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=674464

Make sure to vote. Good luck!

My vote is in and this is a very inspirational build for any one who is doing the same regardless of on a blazer or pick up or suburban. Brad has done a fabulous job and Pete has always been a major inspiration to anyone doing a build.

Good Luck Brad,

Take care,
Tom

DeadheadNM 06-28-2015 07:10 AM

Kind words Tom - thank you!

IronCanine 06-28-2015 09:02 AM

Thanks Tom.

IronCanine 06-29-2015 09:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The R89 topper I got is a bit bigger than my battery. I've seen this complaint elsewhere. It looks like I need a group 78.

Edit: I was just looking at this picture and it was funny to me. A ton of effort to reproduce a limited run factory decal exactly, an obviously aftermarket VintageAir compressor and a battery mask. This build is a bit schizophrenic.

TBONE1964 06-30-2015 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronCanine (Post 7225547)
The R89 topper I got is a bit bigger than my battery. I've seen this complaint elsewhere. It looks like I need a group 78.

Edit: I was just looking at this picture and it was funny to me. A ton of effort to reproduce a limited run factory decal exactly, an obviously aftermarket VintageAir compressor and a battery mask. This build is a bit schizophrenic.

Just think Brad, if you had factory air, that awesome valve cover decal would be a lot harder to see :). Besides, you should be comforted knowing that when you turn the VintageAir on, it will actually work.

I am not a huge fan of the factory AC systems our trucks. They are cumbersome and a paint to work on and keep working. Very expensive as well.

Looking good and good luck with the battery mask.

Take care,
Tom

smbrouss70 07-01-2015 07:56 PM

Congrats on winning Truck of the Month! Your Blazer is gorgeous and well-deserving of the honor.

IronCanine 07-01-2015 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smbrouss70 (Post 7228064)
Congrats on winning Truck of the Month! Your Blazer is gorgeous and well-deserving of the honor.

Thanks Steven...I really appreciate that. Yours was equally deserving, it was a tight vote for a reason.

Advanced Design 07-01-2015 09:10 PM

Congratulations, wish I would have had two votes...both Blazers so nice!

IronCanine 07-02-2015 08:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Rain, rain and more rain here. The break in the weather was just enough this morning for the roads to completely dry. So I was able to take the Blazer over to Eric's to get the top on. Of course it wasn't just a drop it on and bolt it down situation, but the truck sure likes things better with the top on. Gaps and door action are very nice. The lip extension Eric added to the top at the door glass made dialing in the glass fit very easy. Minor shimming and it seals up great...better than it ever did during pre-fitment. Since rain started again shortly after we got her in the shop, she's trapped till dry-out. But we got the window felt/rubber in and almost finished the front seat belts. One more trip to the hardware store needed. Hopefully I can get her home tomorrow and get some nice outside pics.

tjsblazer 07-02-2015 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronCanine (Post 7222570)
;) Thanks Pete. We're c-c-c-close. Here's the punch list, all of which should happen before next weekend:

and get the spare tire tools decal done (which I was gonna keep low-key till it got done, but we're on the second revision right now so hopefully it's not too far away).

Brad, I'm just getting caught up on this thread. Very interesting item here. Is this the decal that goes on the Lh Rear wheel well. If so and they work out print a few extra maybe ... I don't think you would have any trouble selling them. I'll get first in line.
Cheers. Jeff.

IronCanine 07-02-2015 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjsblazer (Post 7229106)
Brad, I'm just getting caught up on this thread. Very interesting item here. Is this the decal that goes on the Lh Rear wheel well. If so and they work out print a few extra maybe ... I don't think you would have any trouble selling them. I'll get first in line.
Cheers. Jeff.

That's the one Jeff. We're working on it. I didn't want to make a big deal of it because there have been previous attempts that kind of fizzled out. We got the engine 8:350 decal done for a lot less than I've already got in the Jacking Instructions decal and I had much less in the way of quality images(I would have had nothing if not for the efforts of Steve Hafner) on that one and we had to create the font from scratch. I thought this new decal would be easier because 1)it's just B&W 2) I've got great images to copy 3)It's a generic type set/font...but the illustration is proving to be a challenge for the graphic artist. I don't see any reason to do it unless we get it right, but I'm pretty sure they're already fairly frustrated. But we'll get it done...it can't be harder than the ball joints, or the brake lines, or the fuel line, or the side panels or anything else on this truck....but don't worry, we'll definitely print some extras.