The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Bench Seats, Having them Reupholstered (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=715398)

TKCR 11-10-2021 11:34 AM

Re: Bench Seats, Having them Reupholstered

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazer2007 (Post 8993925)
thanks , I wasn,t sure if there was 2 per side ,one on the fabric side and one between the the hinges. Thanks for the offer but I,m sure can snoop in the bins at H. depot and find something.

Nope, just 1 per side. Between the hinge arm and seat vinyl.

oldgold70c10 11-30-2021 12:20 AM

So, the 73-80 seats will bolt right in and work in an 81-87 truck?

TKCR 11-30-2021 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldgold70c10 (Post 9001531)
So, the 73-80 seats will bolt right in and work in an 81-87 truck?

Yes

71gmcC15 12-01-2021 07:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
What is this. I realy like it. Would go great with my interior. Rather then this blue tweed.

TKCR 12-02-2021 06:41 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 71gmcC15 (Post 9002100)
What is this. I realy like it. Would go great with my interior. Rather then this blue tweed.

That is a 77-80 bench seat in Camel Tan. I’ve done a couple this color

TKCR 12-12-2021 03:21 PM

5 Attachment(s)
This is an 1981-1987 Black Velour Deluxe. Bench seat has been fully restored and was rebuilt using a new seat bottom foam. This one is staying here in Ohio.

TKCR 12-14-2021 05:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I got a set of CrewCab seats yesterday for cores. They look pretty decent, don’t they? Well looks can be quite deceiving! This is why I restore & repair the seats the way I do. There is so much hiding under the covers that you’ll never see. But I do, because every core I get for restoration, gets completely stripped down and any thing that needs repaired will get repaired.
There wasn’t much I could save on this pair of seats. They were so badly rusted, I saved what I could and the rest went directly to the dump. Here is a list of what I was able to save.
Both of the seat backs.
2 sets of seatbelt bezels.
1 seat bottom foam
A few bolts & hardware
A set of front CrewCab/Suburban tracks, and that is even iffy at this point. They are totally seized up. I beat them with a rubber mallet and couldn’t even get them to budge. So they will soak in some EvapoRust for several days and then I’ll have to reinspect them.
Everything else was completely trashed. The seat bottom frames were so ate up with rust. I have to say, I have never seen any this bad! I only got a picture of the one seat bottom. The other one was just as bad as this one!

hatzie 12-15-2021 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 9007096)
I got a set of CrewCab seats yesterday for cores. They look pretty decent, don’t they? Well looks can be quite deceiving! This is why I restore & repair the seats the way I do. There is so much hiding under the covers that you’ll never see. But I do, because every core I get for restoration, gets completely stripped down and any thing that needs repaired will get repaired.
There wasn’t much I could save on this pair of seats. They were so badly rusted, I saved what I could and the rest went directly to the dump. Here is a list of what I was able to save.
Both of the seat backs.
2 sets of seatbelt bezels.
1 seat bottom foam
A few bolts & hardware
A set of front CrewCab/Suburban tracks, and that is even iffy at this point. They are totally seized up. I beat them with a rubber mallet and couldn’t even get them to budge. So they will soak in some EvapoRust for several days and then I’ll have to reinspect them.
Everything else was completely trashed. The seat bottom frames were so ate up with rust. I have to say, I have never seen any this bad! I only got a picture of the one seat bottom. The other one was just as bad as this one!

Looks like that one had a mouse house in it.
:jdp:

TKCR 12-15-2021 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatzie (Post 9007217)
Looks like that one had a mouse house in it.
:jdp:

Nope, no mouse house. They were being stored in the guys barn, so the chickens had been using them, lol. Lots of rust, spiders and straw!

hatzie 12-16-2021 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 9007252)
Nope, no mouse house. They were being stored in the guys barn, so the chickens had been using them, lol. Lots of rust, spiders and straw!

Birds are worse than rodents. Stored on the floor doesn't do em any favors either.

TKCR 12-16-2021 10:19 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hatzie (Post 9007538)
Birds are worse than rodents. Stored on the floor doesn't do em any favors either.

I’ve had mice damage, chipmunk stash and now chickens! It’s disheartening to purchase a seat core, only to have to throw most of it out. :waah:
Some of those were NASTY! And just to clarify, I do wear gloves and a mask, especially when they look like these, jeez.

rodstored-72 12-16-2021 11:56 AM

HOLY COW! :jdp:

TKCR 12-16-2021 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodstored-72 (Post 9007567)
HOLY COW! :jdp:

Yep, pretty NASTY!! These have been my worst. A lot of this ended up at the dump. Not a whole lot that can be saved when they are this bad.

GOPAPA 12-16-2021 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 9007640)
Yep, pretty NASTY!! These have been my worst. A lot of this ended up at the dump. Not a whole lot that can be saved when they are this bad.

Them are awful ,,please keep them a far distance from any Mahogany Seat Belts please ,if you know what I am getting at ..
You are one of a few ,,that will make something out of what a lot of people wouldn't take up their time with ,, you know that don't you ? hats off to ya

TKCR 12-16-2021 06:06 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by GOPAPA (Post 9007650)
Them are awful ,,please keep them a far distance from any Mahogany Seat Belts please ,if you know what I am getting at

You don’t have to concern yourself about that. Most of these nasty seats was some time ago. And when I strip these seats, I immediately take what needs to go to the dump right away. The most recent were the the CrewCab seats I just posted. And those were just ate up with rust. Yes, they had been sitting in someone’s barn with the chickens, but it was the rust issue more than anything.

When it comes to the seatbelts, each set is in a box on the other side of the garage. And most of them are out in the heated insulated shed. They are stored out there with the restored seat frames.

GOPAPA 12-16-2021 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 9007676)
You don’t have to concern yourself about that. Most of these nasty seats was some time ago. And when I strip these seats, I immediately take what needs to go to the dump right away. The most recent were the the CrewCab seats I just posted. And those were just ate up with rust. Yes, they had been sitting in someone’s barn with the chickens, but it was the rust issue more than anything.

When it comes to the seatbelts, each set is in a box on the other side of the garage. And most of them are out in the heated insulated shed. They are stored out there with the restored seat frames.

Thanks for the photos of your very nice organized work shop,,enjoyed seeing it all .. """hope you know I was only kiddin ya""" ..I feel that any one who does very neat and exact workmanship as you do ,,and also you have shown to us...I will tell you ,,many ,,, many more times than not ,it will be is a very clean place to work..

TKCR 12-16-2021 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOPAPA (Post 9007684)
Thanks for the photos of your very nice organized work shop,,enjoyed seeing it all .. """hope you know I was only kiddin ya""" ..I feel that any one who does very neat and exact workmanship as you do ,,and also you have shown to us...I will tell you ,,many ,,, many more times than not ,it will be is a very clean place to work..

I’m a bit OCD when it comes to my garage and shed, lol. It’s starts getting a bit disorganized at times, and that happens when I have a lot going on at one time. So then I have to take a break and get everything back under control. Then I feel better, lol.

TKCR 12-19-2021 06:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Took a little road trip over to Indiana for a core seat. This one is a 77-80. And it looks like it will make a nice core. Just never know until it get stripped.

TKCR 12-19-2021 06:20 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Built 2 1981-1987 fully restored Black Velour Deluxe, with New Foam.
One is heading to Georgia. The other one stayed local and was picked up.

LT7A 12-23-2021 04:52 AM

"When it comes to the seatbelts, each set is in a box on the other side of the garage. And most of them are out in the heated insulated shed. They are stored out there with the restored seat frames."

Yes, but is there natural light and ready access to food and water?

Haha, that's quite an operation TKCR. The setup looks as good as your finished products.

TKCR 12-23-2021 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 9010104)
Yes, but is there natural light and ready access to food and water?

Haha, that's quite an operation TKCR. The setup looks as good as your finished products.

I have natural light and access to food & water in the garage:lol: I didn’t mention what up in the attic above the garage. I do have a few parts up there, but that’s where I store pretty much all the foam. It’s not heavy, so it’s easy to put up there and get down.
My problem is, I’m severely OCD. So everything has to have its place, and I like to know what I have and where it’s at. Although that’s not how it goes sometimes.

TKCR 01-13-2022 09:07 AM

5 Attachment(s)
A good set of Hog Ring pliers and good hog rings are a must, for installing covers. That first set is probably my favorite. That one helps to pull the cover, to hog ring it in place. That is, if it is a well made cover. Some of the pre-made aftermarket covers that people get from LMC or Classic Industries, they vary too much in size. They are mass produced by ACME, so the focus is more on just that, quantity versus quality.
When I first started dabbling in restoring seats, I used a few covers from LMC, because I had no knowledge of sewing up covers. Nor, did I have the room. Well I can honestly say, that the quality is just not there with these covers. Most of them were made too big, which made for a lot of excess material. And the sewing techniques were awful, way too many puckers. He are a few examples.

TKCR 01-13-2022 09:39 AM

5 Attachment(s)
For quite a few years now, I have someone that makes my cover for my seats. The quality is A++++! Better materials, thicker padding and they are made to fit nice and tight.
Here are some examples.

JJH Jimmy 01-13-2022 12:40 PM

You do great work Tina! And I appreciate you taking the time to show us how you do it and the good and the bad of the products out there. I was just about ready to order the Silverado interior kit for my build from USA1 and was wondering if you have installed any of their seat covers and what the quality was like? Thank you!

dagnabbitt 01-13-2022 01:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I love this thread, wish I had your talent for this work.

Quick question, for the plastic inserts that the seatbelts go through on some seats, how do you affix them? Some kind of glue?

Also do you know why do some seats have those inserts, and some do not?