The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Alternate Tinkerings (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Halfbreed - GMC Z71 + IH Extd Cab (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=391741)

tecky11 12-10-2012 11:46 PM

Re: Halfbreed - GMC Z71 + IH Extd Cab

it looks great, but i do have one more question for ya, were do you get a windshild for that truck?

sparkydog 12-11-2012 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tecky11 (Post 5751635)
it looks great, but i do have one more question for ya, were do you get a windshild for that truck?

Try doing a search of the forums on either binderplanet.com or justih.org. I seem to recall that there might still be a supplier or two that still stock these windshields. There are also people on those forums that are buying or selling used windshields.

tecky11 12-11-2012 01:35 AM

hmm awsome, i need one for my 72, it has a huge crack down the middle of it

jb1016 12-11-2012 12:50 PM

A lot of custom trucks don't even run wipers; yours are re-engineered for maximum effectiveness. Just another reason to love this build!

sparkydog 01-13-2013 01:18 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Getting ready to start my gauge modifications. Santa brought me two of the three Autometer gauges I need. I want a 0-6k tach so I need to buy a marine tach.

To prep for the mod I took out the GM factory gauge cluster and tried to pin out all the wires. I did OK but still have several circuits that are not as EZ to figure out because they all go through the little circuit board instead of direct to the device.

Here are some shots of what a factory cluster looks like if you crack it open. The face of the cluster is held onto the back via the 4-gang posts that are on the back of each of the gauges. So gentle prying is all it takes and boing out it pops.

sparkydog 01-13-2013 01:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As usual I will break my task into smaller tasks. I will start by migrating the idiot lights for the SES, ABS, Seatbelt, Daytime Run Lights, Batt and Ebrake up into this opening in my overhead console. This will involve surgery to the GM gauge cluster to get the graphics and the light housings off. I also need to pull wire up the back wall of my cab and create connector assys at both ends for these new circuits.

High beam and turn signals will stay on the dash and I will use the IH style bezels for these. The IH dash had a white idiot light for ebrake on and I am going to convert that to blue high beam somehow.

sparkydog 01-13-2013 01:35 PM

I could use some help with the Gear Indicator stuff. Does anyone know if the PRND321 lights in the gauge cluster are driven off separate wires for each gear or does the little circuit board have logic that does this off of a signal from a single wire?

And is the gear position signal sent to these lights from the tranny or from the shift lever on the steering column? Many thanks for your help!

hgs_notes 01-13-2013 05:15 PM

You don't ever seem to take the easy way through a project do you? Good luck getting this all figured out.

sparkydog 01-13-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparkydog (Post 5814697)
I could use some help with the Gear Indicator stuff. Does anyone know if the PRND321 lights in the gauge cluster are driven off separate wires for each gear or does the little circuit board have logic that does this off of a signal from a single wire?

And is the gear position signal sent to these lights from the tranny or from the shift lever on the steering column? Many thanks for your help!

Thanks to Google and a little extra patience on my part I think I found the correct schematic and learned what all the circuits into the cluster are. The gear indicator LED's are 5 separate signals coming from the transmission.

Palf70Step 01-14-2013 06:27 AM

Glad you found it. I was still having my eyeballs roll around at the whole mess.

sparkydog 01-20-2013 08:54 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Tear down of the GM overhead panel that will be "re-purposed" into my idiot light panel.

sparkydog 01-20-2013 08:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Pulling wire. I managed to get my fish wire trapped for 1 day inside the corner of the IH cab. But I got lucky and it wiggled free just as I was about to go for the cutoff wheel and open up some sheet metal.

sparkydog 01-20-2013 08:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The electrical "war room".

sparkydog 01-20-2013 09:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The GM instument cluster has "donated" some of it's graphics and now the light chambers are exposed. Notice that virtually none of them are in a row or the same shape or on the same spacing......

.... which led me to the wrecking yard where 3 Hondas and 4 Jettas (what are the odds that there would be 4 Jettas in the yard at one time) gave up their light panel technology for me.

The choice of these makes was pretty much down to a) what had wires to their bulbs instead of flex circuits, b) what had already had somebody rip open the dash so I didn't have to?

The second pic shows the bulb sockets as they were being "rendered" (think butcher shop) on the way to the size I needed for my panel.

sparkydog 01-20-2013 09:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I eventually used the Honda stuff over the Jetta and a little while later after some cutting, flap wheel, JB Weld, more flap etc I had my very own DIY idiot light display back panel housing sub-assy thingy.

1985-GMC 01-20-2013 09:59 PM

Man I love your work, you are very creative!

cAlvis165 01-20-2013 10:13 PM

This is looking good! :metal:

EZ SPEED 01-21-2013 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1985-GMC (Post 5831470)
Man I love your work, you are very creative!

I agree...VERY creative !!!

Palf70Step 01-21-2013 07:33 AM

Very neat!

67ChevyRedneck 01-21-2013 11:06 AM

Oh no... I've gone cross eyed...
Posted via Mobile Device

FrankieD 01-23-2013 08:35 AM

I think I have to move to a warmer climate so I don't have to take 4 0r 5 month's off

sparkydog 01-23-2013 11:43 PM

5 Attachment(s)
As the warning light relo project swung into high gear the war room got pretty messy.

Next is a shot of the newly wired console ready for it's first trip back up into the roof of the cab.

Then a shot with the key on and 5 out of 6 of the lights doing their thing.

Finally a shot after a few seconds of running - now all the lights but the left one are off. The left one is (I mean will be) the green DRL light which stays on.

So far so good. And so far it's OK that my crude looking light housing is working. But the final task is to come up with a clean, factory looking front cover. Wish me luck!

sparkydog 01-23-2013 11:56 PM

I'll be driving the first couple of days with the fire extinguisher riding shotgun. Nothing like an electrical fire to ruin a perfectly good project truck. ;)

ERASER5 01-24-2013 09:58 AM

"And remember, only YOU can prevent project fires!" -- Smoky the Bear

NONHOG 01-24-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERASER5 (Post 5839422)
"And remember, only YOU can prevent project fires!" -- Smoky the Bear

And a battery quick disconnect! :)