The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Project OverKill (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=248360)

CrashBob 07-17-2007 02:09 PM

Re: Project OverKill

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChevyDude (Post 2257368)
The drivers wheel and the alignment need attention for sure I took a 3 lb hammer to the steering box to get it removed. No worries....gots a 71' disc front ready to install after the frame shortening and the sandblaster!!!!

What kind of shape is the box in? I need a left long bed side. Interested in selling?

Crash

ChevyDude 07-18-2007 12:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ready for the cab removal. Gonna pull the cab with my engine hoist. I started grinding on the firewall removing the small amount surface rust. Firewall to be shaved.

Now to get to real work, lol.

Alex

badpeanut 07-19-2007 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowrollin70gmc (Post 2253305)
You will now thank the state of ND for not using salt on their roads.

Some areas of the state salt, some don't. North Dakota spends $750,000 per year on rock salt per state transportation director Francis Ziegler earlier this year.

ChevyDude 07-21-2007 03:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Unbolted the cab. Picked it up off the frame and moved it back while I make some room for it in my shop.

Palf70Step 07-21-2007 05:59 PM

That is the nice part of a LWB, you got enough room to slide her back good.
Disassembly going good! :metal:

ChevyDude 07-25-2007 12:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Had a little time this morning so I attached a 2x4 to my cherry picker and gently lifted the cab off the frame and put it on a pair of 55 gallon drums. Getting closer to the actual shortening of the frame.

Alex

ChevyDude 07-26-2007 06:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A new ''big-time" shop tool arrives, new Miller 180 !!! Although I know nothing of welding today, I am determined to figure it out. I have wanted a welder for years and just never stepped up and bought one. Done it now! Lots of reading and practice...and then I will shave the firewall.

Alex

Stepside65 07-26-2007 08:49 PM

Lookin good. Wish mine could be in that good of shape... Keep up the good work man. Looking forward to seeing where this build goes.

Palf70Step 07-26-2007 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChevyDude (Post 2280560)
Although I know nothing of welding today, I am determined to figure it out. I have wanted a welder for years and just never stepped up and bought one. Done it now! Lots of reading and practice...and then I will shave the firewall.

Alex

Lesson 1 - Do Not weld (on purpose or by accidental spatter) your hair or body parts. Trust me, you do not want to know or do it :rolleyes: :D

Get a good auto dimming helmet, good gloves, and lots of patience. It's fun to learn.

ChevyDude 07-31-2007 09:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I do have an auto dimming helmet and a nice set of gloves, very important!

Little progress. Got the firewall down to bare metal, ready to start shaving all the holes. Mr. Miller 180 will be asked to lend a hand doing this....I have to practice first on some scrap like gauged material, that's for sure, don't want any burn through!!! I will be Epoxy priming the bare metal with SPI Epoxy primer.

Just got off the phone with SPI's Barry and his warehouse partner Terry...and the SPI epoxy is on the way!!!

www.BakerPBE.com

Alex

Yukon Jack 07-31-2007 04:42 PM

Good luck learning with the welder. I, too, want to learn to weld! Just need some free time.

ChevyDude 08-01-2007 06:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yukon Jack (Post 2287509)
Good luck learning with the welder. I, too, want to learn to weld! Just need some free time.

Thanks Yukon!!! I am very excited about learning!!! As things work out , it looks as if Glock is going to come down to my shop and do the frame shortening here. He's going to bring his Plasma cutter and use my new Miller 180. I will be watching closely, with a auto darkening helmet on of course!!!

Little more done today. Removed front long bed brackets which are not needed for the short bed, and removed the passenger side rear cab support bracket. This bracket will need to be moved 12" towards the rear. And in true OverKill fashion ground a little on the frame to clean it up, love that clean metal!

Got the drivers side done too....today, Thursday 8/2/07.
Alex

ChevyDude 08-03-2007 05:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
FED EX just delivered the SPI Epoxy. Gotta get the welder going. Waiting on the pre cut insert pieces I bought on ebay. Last pic...pre cutting the rear of the frame. Glock reccomends cutting only 6" first as it's easier to cut more than add on. So going to cut the rear of the frame in a min here.

68 short step 08-03-2007 05:15 PM

keep the progress pics coming

ChevyDude 08-03-2007 05:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
yep!!! Rear frame shortened 6"!!!

ChevyDude 08-07-2007 10:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OK...the frame is now ready for the Glocks Plasma Cutter! Brake/fuel lines removed, bellhousing out, E brake cable gone. I loosened all the bolts for removing the front crossmember as I have a newly rebuilt (MOOG) 71' disc front that will go on after shortening the frame and sandblasting. That's the lastest. Front crossmember, springs, upper and lower A arms are available if someone needs them???

Alex

glock35ipsc 08-07-2007 11:56 AM

Alex - Just curious, did you happen to find where the VIN is stamped on the top of the frame under the cab?

One thing you might want to do is to tighten a few bolts on each side of that crossmember until we are finished. It would give me a warm fuzzy to have that end of the frame solid until we are done cutting and moving stuff around. Everything else looks good to go! I think we should be able to knock it out by the end of the month. :metal:

faribran 08-07-2007 11:56 AM

want to part with the original hubcaps?

ChevyDude 08-09-2007 09:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
YES Bob, I found the stamp! Not to worry, I re-tightened two bolts on either side after breaking them loose.

Hup caps are gonzo, sorry.

Cleaned up the outside of the frame in prep for the "shortening". I'll get the insides of the frame rail all cleaned up too!!! Clean metal, Glock's fine welding skills, a soon to be, SWB frame...another piece to the puzzle! ....And completed the wiring for the Miller 180. Nema 220 volt 6-50 Receptical. Made up a 10 gauge 40 ft extention cord with the same 6-50 Nema plug and receptical. Should have plenty of room , space, and cord to do all the welding and cutting needed!!! Makin' progress!

Alex

Stoney 08-14-2007 07:16 PM

Project Overkill is looking good.

ChevyDude 08-15-2007 11:02 AM

Thanks Stoney. The shortening of the frame is next on the list. Glock is going to be doing the cutting and welding as my welding skills...ahhh, have not been developed ...YET! Glock should be coming down here to my shop to do the job some time before the end of the month. I am looking foward to this next step!!!

Alex

glock35ipsc 08-15-2007 11:39 AM

Alex - The power options look great!! As soon as the in-laws get back, I'll have a better idea of when we can proceed.

ChevyDude 08-15-2007 11:57 AM

Sounds great!!!

Frizzle Fry 08-15-2007 12:48 PM

Cut-Cut-Cut :D

ChevyDude 08-15-2007 05:54 PM

P-l-a-s-m-a :two: :metal: