The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   The Color of Money (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=258829)

C10-Driver 11-10-2007 10:36 AM

Re: The Color of Money

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezglide (Post 2439056)
Very nice truck!! I gotta ask what is the foil backed stuff in the heater box in the cab?? And what did the steering wheel come off of ??

The PO installed that steering wheel in the truck. It is from a '92-ish Cavalier... I'm not sure what other vehicles they came in but I did own a 1992 Cavalier that had the exact same one.

The silver stuff (which will eventually all be covered) is Hushmat sound deadener and insulation material. It is a peal and stick application... Goes on super easy and, holy cow, does it ever quieten down the cab. I put it everywhere... on the floor, on the firewall right up under the dash, behind the seat, on the roof under the headliner and inside the doors. It's not real cheap but worth it in my mind... My truck is pretty loud and with the windows rolled up you can hardly hear it run.

cstm68 11-10-2007 11:04 AM

how did you lower the front??

did you use bags??

or is it all coils and spindals?

C10-Driver 11-10-2007 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cstm68 (Post 2439568)
how did you lower the front??

2" drop spindles and air bags. Lower bag cups cut down to abount 1-1/2".

Raguemoe 11-11-2007 12:22 AM

One word "Clean". Nice paint & body!!!

swamp rat 11-11-2007 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C10-Driver (Post 2439543)
The PO installed ......

Being as I am new here....I really hate to ask.... what the he*l is a PO??

ante_up13 11-11-2007 01:44 AM

PO= Previous Owner

that is one sweet truck by the way

C10-Driver 11-11-2007 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raguemoe (Post 2440657)

Thanks... A lot of time was spent making this truck clean and straight. The fit of all the panels was also important. It can get frustrating at times. Assemble, disassemble, assemble, disassemble... I found out there is a big difference between a "nice" paint job and a vehicle you look at and really appreciate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezglide (Post 2440714)
Being as I am new here....I really hate to ask.... what the he*l is a PO??

Sorry about that. It took me a while to figure out all the language too. WIW got me for the longest time (What's it Worth?). There's no way I can follow my kids these days with all their text messaging lingo.

jeffnohio 11-15-2007 07:41 PM

very nice truck

Richard8971 11-16-2007 10:59 PM

"Finally got some sunny skies yesterday so I got out with the truck and took some pictures."

I stand impressed...

jchav62 01-02-2008 10:17 AM

I'm very impressed!! And jealous... Awesome work, beautiful truck....

Congratulations...

Boise69 01-19-2008 09:25 AM

WOW. you motivated me again. I've been kicking around so many color combos with green being my main but leaning towards the two tones until i saw yours. VERY NICE. Now i think i'll stick with all green again but somehow incorporate my pewter i seem to really like.

thank you for the inspiration!! Nice job.

ccat 03-01-2008 02:37 PM

Cool build C10. Like every one else says, very nice and super clean. I'm a 73-87 lover, but these years are awesome as well. Good call on the vintage air. Really cleans up the engine bay, and Okanagan summers are brutal. Maybe I'll see you around on a road trip to K-town this summer. You should be easy to spot with that paint. I'll just stick my hand out and yell at you as you drive by, then you do a double take and think, "who the hell was that" . lol. I'm in Penticton by the way.

C10-Driver 03-01-2008 08:23 PM

Thanks for the compliments. Hope to see you around sometime this year. I will have my truck down at the Beach City beach Cruise in Penticton on May 18-20th. If you're around town, stop down to the Beach and say Hi.

slammed1 03-02-2008 08:49 AM

WOW your truck was just added to one of my top 10 here on the site. I love the green paint and how cleanly laid out everything is under the hood and everywhere. I like it that you added the 71/72 hood,since my truck is a 72 but I added a 68 frt clip,if ever I found enough money to re-do the 72 clip I would,but for now I will stay with the 68 clip. Very nice build bro.

BurnoutNova 03-02-2008 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raguemoe (Post 2440657)

X2

great attention to detail. thats really what make s the biggst diffrence it seems like. some people dont know when to stop, but your trucks looks killer!

C10-Driver 03-02-2008 11:21 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks again. It's nice to see the details are appreciated. There's still a few things that I need to finish, adjust, change... As I'm sure most of you know, they're never quite finished.

Most recently, I changed out the rear wheels... I was never happy with the rear width and backspacing. I had 17x8's all around and wanted 9-1/2's for the back but they don't make them anymore. I got lucky and found a set of really nice used ones in Texas and swapped them out. No pics yet but will hopefully get some this weekend.

Also, I added a set of Marquez taillight bezels that I got from MuscleRodz. Sorry about the crappy pic but the truck hasn't made it out of the garage since before Christmas. They are expensive but the quality is amazing. I think they really finish off the tailight area well. (One side with the new ones and one side with the old).

Attachment 340844

Attachment 340845

C10-Driver 03-08-2008 09:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Got some better pictures of the new tail lights last weekend. I can't say enough about them. They really top-off the back of the truck.

I have to work on getting that back end down a little more though. I initially set the bumpstops so the pumpkin was just short of the underside of the bed. I don't want to cut the bed and have a wood floor which gives me about an inch less clearance. A little tweaking on the diff cover and bumpstops should get me close to another inch. I'll keep you "posted" on my progress.

Attachment 342474

Attachment 342475

Rokcrln 03-08-2008 09:37 AM

Your truck is looking great! The tail lights really are worth the money. But if you think they are expensive try buying a full set;)
If need be you could always shave some wood off the bottom side were the diff is close!

Kevin
LFD Inc.

slammed1 03-08-2008 10:14 AM

I really dig the look of this truck,very clean and very tastefully modded.

C10-Driver 03-08-2008 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rokcrln (Post 2615405)
If need be you could always shave some wood off the bottom side were the diff is close!

Kevin
LFD Inc.

I was thinking about that too. I pulled the truck together pretty quick last year so I haven't had a lot of chance to tweak things yet... I was checking the other day and noticed that the diff cover sits a little higher than the housing. I still have about half an inch clearance so if I shave the top of the cover, I should be able to get it down close to an inch total... Another half an inch out of the wood as you suggested and it should sit a lot better. I have to get it up on a hoist to have a good look at it... It's a little tough getting under the truck to check clearance when it's aired-out. ;)

Rokcrln 03-08-2008 09:38 PM

You know on our rock crawlers we would shave the bottom off the diff for more ground clearance. I supose you could do the same with the top of yours. With the cover off their is about a half inch gap between the ring and casting and the casting is about 3/4" think. What we would do is shave the diff third member so a 3/8" think flat plate would sit right on the ring gear, this gives almost 1" of more clearance. Then with high nickle rod we would weld the plate to the diff. Then mark were the ring grear hits and grind out about 1/8" for clearance. You need to do a few mods to the cover as well so it has a few bolts in that section.
Yes it is alot of work but heck I have spent 40+ hours getting 1/8" out of dor gaps so 10-15hrs for a full inch is a bargin. I know you are not wanting to go to this much trouble but their are all kinds of ways to go about it so if you get stuck feel free to let me spend more of your free time:lol:

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Retro68 12-03-2008 10:23 PM

The green color is a nice choice for your truck. Darn stunning I would say. Kepp up the good work.

C10-Driver 12-03-2008 11:42 PM

Thanks a lot... There hasn't been a post on here for quite a while. Nothing new to update yet but later this winter I will be starting the interior. I put in a decent interior to get in on the road but had always planned a full custom. I have started picking out fabrics and going through leather samples so it begins. My interior guy has given me a March start date so, when the time comes, I will post some info on our progress.

fazels 08-10-2009 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C10-Driver (Post 2363425)
Hi my name is Geoff, and I'm addicted to Chevy trucks. My story starts in October 2005. I was looking to sell my 2001 Silverado LT, buy a 67-72 Chev work truck / winter beater and start the search for my 1966 Chevelle convertible project. Well, the Chevelle is going to have to wait because in my search for a work truck, I came across a 1970 Chev shortbox that I couldn’t pass up.

Attachment 300494

The truck had been sitting for a while so I did a bunch of major maintenance items and drove it for a while. In March of 2006, I took the truck off the road and took it to some friends’ shop to re-vamp the drivetrain with a newer style 5-bolt, disc brake front end, power brakes, a new 3:73 posi and new 5 bolt axles. We also installed drop spindles and did a rear axle flip to bring the truck down a little more. Our weather is pretty hot so I also installed a new 4-core radiator and a Vintage Air Sure-Fit A/C system.

Attachment 300495

The truck worked great and I put a lot of miles on it in the summer of 2006 driving it down to car shows in Post Falls Idaho, Yakima Washington and plenty of local shows in the Okanagan Valley. The friends I do runs with all have very nice vehicles and I felt out of place so I decided to do a full frame-off restoration. I pulled the truck off the road in late October of 2006 and started the tear-down process. It was a long haul but I pulled it off in 10 months doing most of the work by myself.

I don’t have a lot of pictures of the finished project yet… It’s only been on the road for a few weeks. I will put together some more pictures of the truck, and provide some details of the build but for now, here are some photos we took a few weekends ago in a friend’s back yard.

Attachment 300496

Attachment 300497

Attachment 300498

I have taken the truck to a few local shows in the past couple of weeks and had great response from everyone. In fact, at a small local show in Summerland (135 vehicles), I took the “Best Pickup Truck” award. It felt pretty good knowing all my hard work was noticed.

a lovely truck hope mine looks like that one day.
fazel

VA72C10 01-20-2010 06:20 PM

Where's those interior pictures??? :devil:

just kidding

Looking forward to seeing them :chevy: