The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Install thread- Holley EFI Sniper on '72 402 big block (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=755926)

54Caddy 03-20-2018 02:00 PM

Re: Install thread- Holley EFI Sniper on '72 402 big block

My concerns are really for the fuel pump having to draw the fuel up the stock line in sending unit then down to pump. Also as stated with a carburetor you have fuel bowls which are little reservoirs for fuel. With EFI you do not have that, A GM TBI unit can’t compare it only requires 15 psi not the 60 the efi requires. I’ve read a few people wanting to route the same way you are and landed up putting bungs on bottom of tank.

Ekliptix 05-13-2018 02:06 PM

A pause in progress since finding the crack in the intake manifold. Got the intake off and the heads cleaned up, in anticipating of installing a replacement intake manifold. Then, everything back together, add coolant, start er up, and pick up where I left off.
https://i.imgur.com/V4kwCuuh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/F22T6T0h.jpg

Clean left. Dirty right.
https://i.imgur.com/kBOxsKlh.jpg

zicc1835 05-13-2018 07:20 PM

subd

Aus69c20 05-13-2018 11:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I fitted the Sniper EFI to the 396 in my truck and picked up a bunch of low down and midrange torque. The throttle response is way better. But the gas pedal was so touchy I had to make a small extension for the linkage where the rod hooks up.
Yours appears to be a cable so you may not have the same issue.
Overall I’m very happy with mine.
Here’s a pic of the extension

davepl 05-14-2018 12:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cool! I'm at almost the same point, hooked up the linkage on my Sniper last night.

I'm excited to see how it drives. I had a Q-Jet on an oval port manifold on roval port heads and I've also put the port-matched intake back on so that should help as well.

I'm not doing computer timing control, did you?

Here's the fuel lines I bent up yesterday!

Rufas 05-14-2018 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davepl (Post 8260912)
Cool! I'm at almost the same point, hooked up the linkage on my Sniper last night.

I'm excited to see how it drives. I had a Q-Jet on an oval port manifold on roval port heads and I've also put the port-matched intake back on so that should help as well.

Nice work on those fuel lines.

Aus69c20 05-14-2018 05:58 PM

Those lines look great. No timing control on my setup.

davepl 05-15-2018 09:54 AM

As long as none of my lines leak (this is my first time ever doing stainless with AN fittings) I think it'll be a killer setup. Like you, I'm going to forego timing control at least at first as well, maybe do that as a second project, but I haven't heard great things yet about it.

I haven't checked the geometry yet, I have solid pedal linkage as well. I had to drill the hole larger to accommodate the linkage though. Once installed with plastic bushings it was nice and solid, but I'll have to wait and see if I have the same sensitive pedal that you did.

Ekliptix 05-15-2018 11:17 AM

I'm not having the computer control timing. As I understand it, I have to buy a specific distributor that has a plug in for the Sniper system. I've watched the video of the setup. It's out of my level of experience, so I'll likely get some help if I go that route in the future. I like the idea of combining EFI plus timing control to get max performance, all automatically with a computer.

davepl 05-15-2018 11:44 AM

Assuming your distributor is well set up for your engine, I don't think there's much performance advantage to be had. But it can in theory help smooth the idle by adjusting individual spark pulses. That's the only feature I'd actually like.

They give you a coil driver so that you don't have to run a full ignition box, that's kind of interesting.

I have an MSD dual sync with the same purple and green wires, but I'm not sure if I can make it work with the Holley and am a little scared of biting off more than I can chew in trying to do the install with a non-supported third party pickup!

Aus69c20 05-15-2018 05:38 PM

A lot of people have had trouble getting their msd distributors to play nice with the timing control function. I think the Holley dual sync is probably the best option if you want to use timing control and of course more expensive than msd. For me, not worth it at this stage.

davepl 05-17-2018 01:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got mine all up and running (not a truck, but I'll try to stick a photo in anyway). The throttle is SUPER touchy, as you say. I'll order a Holley throttle extension or make one, I guess.

Was yours better with the extension? With a deep four speed a 4.10 gears it's a little touchy to drive! By which I mean "almost impossible to drive safely" as it is. They really ought to include that extension if they're all like that.

72Cheyenne454 05-17-2018 06:20 PM

I'm curious for those who have installed a Holley Sniper kit and have used the supplied Holley electric in-line fuel pump, is the electric pump noisy?

Thanks,
Miles

Aus69c20 05-17-2018 06:20 PM

Sorry about the thread hijack Ekliptix but I figure this is useful info.
davepl, the throttle extension made a big difference for me. But Holley also has a progressive linkage available which you can adjust the snipers software for.
It reportedly makes a big difference.
Here’s the info on it.
https://forums.holley.com/showthread...I-WAAAY-Better

davepl 05-18-2018 10:37 AM

I'm not using the Holley pump, but a Tanks Inc module which has a factory style pump inside the tank. You can hear it a little.

Yesterday once the fuel got hot after 30 minutes or so of driving it was noticeably louder.

Much quieter in tank than the old Holley blue or black pmp hanging off the frame though!

Ol Blue K20 05-18-2018 11:15 AM

Subbed

Steeveedee 05-18-2018 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davepl (Post 8260912)

That looks really nice. Is one of them a bypass/return line? I'd think you would have some vapor lock issues with such a long run above a hot engine.

davepl 05-19-2018 04:28 PM

Yes, the passenger side port is the return line, so there's a constant high-speed flow of 60psi fuel past it at all times. When there's no draw from the engine, the pump is basically pumping full blast at all times circulating fuel, so it'll never sit in the lines.

It could over time heat up the fuel in the tank though! Now there's a 16' fuel line run that'll help cool it down but I might consider adding some insulation on the intake if I can make it kinda stock, thanks for the idea!

nlped 05-20-2018 08:51 AM

Subscribed. Planning on this for Walt, when I get the 468 swapped in.

CC69Rat 05-20-2018 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nlped (Post 8264498)
Subscribed. Planning on this for Walt, when I get the 468 swapped in.

Ahem .. practice on mine ? :lol:

weq92f 05-20-2018 04:40 PM

Never even considered a return system such as this heating up the fuel in the tank. This could explain some hot start issues I've been having!

-klb

nlped 05-20-2018 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CC69Rat (Post 8264538)
Ahem .. practice on mine ? :lol:

You buy it & I’ll come and help install it! ;). Sorry for the thread jack.

Ekliptix 05-23-2018 01:46 PM

I hope to get it running again this weekend.

Cracked vs new
https://i.imgur.com/eYDjBlTh.jpg?1

Ready to install the new intake.
https://i.imgur.com/qHYifAWh.jpg

Torqued to spec
https://i.imgur.com/4hxMe4uh.jpg

Aus69c20 05-24-2018 08:07 AM

I bet by now you can’t wait to get the truck out on the road.
Wise choice on the 4 hole spacer. I used an open one and had a very noticeable squeal on hard acceleration. I installed a 4 hole spacer and it’s totally gone.

davepl 05-24-2018 10:50 AM

For anyone following along, two things:

1) That "Notch" in the two-plane intake is important. If your intake is sealed all the way such that the two planes are totally separate, TBI EFI will not run well (or for some brands at all) because the MAP sensor is only on one of those sides. I can't tell if the old 4-hole was separate side to side, but the new one looks OK. The ZZ502 intake from Chevrolet has a notch too, but smaller.

2) Holley offers a linkage extension as well as progressive conversion linkage. I have ordered the progressive kit because otherwise it is VERY touchy. Consider that it opens all four barrels right off the start...