The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Crocodile Rocks Build Thread (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=503469)

ZUBZ 10-14-2013 09:32 AM

Re: Crocodile Rocks Build Thread

Matt, awesome truck and great project.

MattPSU 11-24-2013 01:18 PM

4 Attachment(s)
After driving my truck some more, I've come to realize that 70psi in the front and 30psi in the rear is a little on the high side. 60psi/25 is more like it so I've attached a few updated photos of my truck at current ride height.

Porterbuilt Stage 1 front and rear with McGaughey's 2.5" drop spindles at ride height:

MattPSU 11-24-2013 01:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I've also ordered a Porterbuilt bolt in C-Notch. When I install it, I'm going to remove the upper cup/hat so that I can bring the rear down a couple more inches.

Here's a couple pictures of my truck with the back down 2 more inches which is what I expect to gain with the notch and removal of the cups. This should be my final ride height.

MattPSU 11-24-2013 02:00 PM

Here are some measurements from the ground to the bottom of the fender, through the center of the wheel:

Stock: 32"/33" (front/rear)
Stage 1 Up - 33"/34"
Stage 1 Down - 26"/27"
W/ drop spindles Up - 30"/34"
w/ Drop Spindles Down - 24"/27"

Pro Performance 11-24-2013 02:03 PM

Great information, and thanks for sharing!

How tall is tire you are running? What size?

- Travis

MattPSU 11-24-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pro Performance (Post 6386021)
Great information, and thanks for sharing!

How tall is tire you are running? What size?

- Travis

Current tires are 275/60R15 on 7" rally wheels. About 27.5" tall. Someday I hope to upgrade to 20's.

fastpace 12-27-2013 11:28 AM

The pictures in this thread were great as I just ordered a Porterbuilt Stage 1 front and Stage 2 rear setup so this gave me a good idea of how it will sit. Your truck looks great aired out and at ride height. Have you got the chance to install the bolt-in notch yet?

MattPSU 12-27-2013 12:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by fastpace (Post 6436767)
The pictures in this thread were great as I just ordered a Porterbuilt Stage 1 front and Stage 2 rear setup so this gave me a good idea of how it will sit. Your truck looks great aired out and at ride height. Have you got the chance to install the bolt-in notch yet?

Thanks man! I'm half way there with the notch. Hope to be done and back together before Monday. I'll post us some more pics once I'm finished. - Matt

MattPSU 12-28-2013 05:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Finished up my notch yesterday and spent today buttoning up a few things then putting it all back together. Here's a couple of quick pics. I took a bunch and I'll post them along with some input/tips/feedback on "notching" my truck when I get some extra time. Enjoy! - Matt

MattPSU 12-29-2013 06:40 PM

5 Attachment(s)
OK, here we go!

My notch kit arrived about a week before Christmas. They looked great. Another awesome Porterbuilt product except...

They're now only making the notch to be used with their shock bar systems. This means that there's a small tab/bracket that hangs down on the inside where you mount their shock bar. If you're planning on running the stock shock bar like me, you have to cut this tab/bracket so that it will clear the stock shock bar.

I hated cutting up brand new parts, but I couldn't see spending another $300-400 to upgrade to their shock bar system when I already had their shock relocation kit in place.

I called Travis at Pro Performance and we traded emails about the issue. Initially he thought they sent me the wrong notch, so he gave them a call and found out this is the only way they're offering their 2 piece notch now. He was unaware that Porterbuilt had made this change and we discussed my options. He assured me that I'd be fine cutting the tab and running my current shock set up, so that's what I did.

If you're considering the stage one rear kit, I strongly suggest that you bit the bullet right from the start and get the stage two rear kit. It includes the shock bar system, the notch and the trac bar.

Pic 1 - the before of my frame.
Pic 2 - shot of the upper part of the notch on the frame showing the tab that had to be removed.
Pic 3 - Showing the notch too high due to the tab
Pic 4 - Showing the upper part of the notch with the tab removed.
Pic 5 - Showing two of the rivets that have to be removed from the top of the frame.

MattPSU 12-29-2013 07:21 PM

5 Attachment(s)
If you're going to use the Porterbuilt 2 piece notch, make sure you have at least one good drill, lots of quality drill bits, step drill bits, grinder with cut off wheel, and a sawzall.

There were 14 rivets that needed to be drilled and there are 15 bolts that hold the notch in place. Some of those bolts go through rivet holes, but most need to be drilled in the frame.

There are also 2 bolt holed that need drilled to hold each bad and one giant hole for the air fitting on each bag. Those holes needed to be drilled through the lower part of the notch, the spring plate and the bottom of the frame. I did most of those laying on my back on the cold garage floor.

I drilled out the rivets for the top part of the notch, then used those holes to mark the other holes and the location for the cuts in the frame. I then cut the frame with a cut off wheel.

With the section of frame removed, I could mock up the lower part of the notch using some bug c-clamps. Marked the rest of the holes then went crazy drilling. Lots of on and off and test fitting everything. When I had it all where I wanted it, I cleaned everything and painted the frame and notch.

Once the paint dried, I bolted it all back together.

Pic 1 - Upper notch in place
Pic 2 - Frame marked for cutting
Pic 3 - Everything painted and installed
Pic 4 - Pic from below showing bolts on the bottom of frame. Didn't catch it until after I took the picture, but you can see my Porterbuilt sticker in the back window!
Pic 5 - Shot of the inside of the notch.

MattPSU 12-29-2013 07:23 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Some more pictures of the finished product.

MattPSU 12-29-2013 07:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
While I had the bed off, I figured I'd take some pictures of my Boyd Welding tank. This is another product that I'm really happy with. For anyone thinking these hang low, it's still about 6" off the ground when the air is completely out of the rear bags. With it at ride height, there's 10" or more clearance.

MattPSU 12-29-2013 07:36 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Ride Height Pics

- Porterbuilt Stage 1 front and rear kits
- Porterbuilt 2 piece bolt in C-Notch
- McGaughy's 2.5" drop spindles
- 27.5" tall tires

MattPSU 12-29-2013 07:38 PM

5 Attachment(s)
And aired out pictures...

- Porterbuilt Stage 1 front and rear kits
- Porterbuilt 2 piece bolt in C-Notch
- McGaughy's 2.5" drop spindles
- 27.5" tall tires

RaceAGMC 12-29-2013 08:13 PM

Looking good Matt. I'm jealous of your suspension setup. I really want to bag mine. Maybe next year.

67chevy1series 12-29-2013 08:33 PM

to go from stock height up front to your trucks ride height up front how many inches is that? im going to be buying drop coils in the front of my 67 or maybe even drop spindles, just wondering how many inches you have because thats the height i would like on my 67.

67ctener 12-29-2013 09:04 PM

Did you have to limit the rear end travel to stay out of the bed floor?

MattPSU 12-29-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaceAGMC (Post 6440475)
Looking good Matt. I'm jealous of your suspension setup. I really want to bag mine. Maybe next year.

Thanks man! I'm jealous of your LS!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67chevy1series (Post 6440543)
to go from stock height up front to your trucks ride height up front how many inches is that? im going to be buying drop coils in the front of my 67 or maybe even drop spindles, just wondering how many inches you have because thats the height i would like on my 67.

I'd say my ride height is about the equivalent of a 3/5 drop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ctener (Post 6440619)
Did you have to limit the rear end travel to stay out of the bed floor?

There are bump stops in the notch that are stopping the axle just as the rear end is touching the bottom of the bed floor when aired out.

RaceAGMC 12-29-2013 10:25 PM

[QUOTE=MattPSU;6440655]Thanks man! I'm jealous of your LS!

It's not too bad. I'm keeping at it cleaning up the engine bay a lil bit at a time. If the weather is good I'm gonna try to make that meet in January.

MattPSU 12-30-2013 02:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I made a chart showing my truck throughout this process with different suspension set ups. This shows the stock height, up and down with just the Porterbuilt Stage 1 kits, up and down with the stage 1 kits and the McGaughy's drop spindles, and up and down with everything plus the notch. Hopefully this helps someone else out when planning their set up.

Here's a link to the full size version:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19663401/PB%20Stage%201%20Variations%20on%20Matt%27s%20C10.pdf

fastnotch89 12-30-2013 04:38 PM

Looking good man.... Glad to see more people from South Carolina

MattPSU 12-30-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastnotch89 (Post 6441922)
Looking good man.... Glad to see more people from South Carolina

Thanks!

FYI - there's a pretty decent size group of us (8-10+) that have been getting together monthly here in the upstate. Click on the link in my signature (Monthly Upstate SC Get-Together) for info. Our next get-together is January 25th in Greenville. Hopefully we'll see you at some point. - Matt

slowcpe 12-30-2013 04:58 PM

Looks good. Following since you seem to be a couple of steps ahead of me :)

mcbassin 12-30-2013 05:07 PM

Very nice work on your truck. Thanks for the detailed write up. Maybe one of these days I'll pony up the cash to do the same.