The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Delco radio with aux. input added (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=447379)

Oilbrnr 12-06-2011 09:25 AM

Re: Delco radio with aux. input added

As an FYI, Dual still makes a shaft mount unit with front aux in and pre-amp outputs, for less than $40 on Amazon...

Paniolo 12-06-2011 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oilbrnr (Post 5050631)
As an FYI, Dual still makes a shaft mount unit with front aux in and pre-amp outputs, for less than $40 on Amazon...

Link? I searched Amazon and didn't find any shaft mount Dual receivers. The only Dual receivers I found close to $40 had more negative than positive reviews for build quality.

Though I really like the look of having the original stereo. Throw in that when complete I will have under $5 out of pocket into it. (plus a few hours :D). Also resale of this mod is great. These modded units often go for $100 on ebay.

Oilbrnr 12-06-2011 01:42 PM

Dual XC4100

Pre-amp out is a huge plus. Just say'n.
Posted via Mobile Device

rambler 12-06-2011 04:37 PM

subscribed to this post for future reference once I get my truck running again

Paniolo 12-06-2011 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oilbrnr (Post 5050991)
Dual XC4100

Pre-amp out is a huge plus. Just say'n.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for the model ... it has some drawbacks, like no radio presets or favorites. But I like the look and the shaft mount. Do you have it, does the shaft spacing fit our dashes? I saw one review saying it didn't fit, but they didn't say what application. Couldn't find it on Amazon. Cheapest in Google shopping was $50 at Crutchfield. A little pricey for what it is.

If I was driving the truck all the time I would go that route, or probably spend a little more for lot more features. But my son is driving it, and I have more time than money. With all the parts in the garage, I will be out under $5 for Ipod connection with high/low pass filters and a 10" Sub. If I was spending money your suggestion would get serious consideration.

Edit: btw I already have a Line Output Converter (LOC) to get the preamp signal. But if I was having to buy that or other parts I would really be looking at the alternatives mentioned.

john_p 12-06-2011 11:39 PM

you could go aux to pre amp or amp.. not direct to the spk.. i am not as up to date as the op but aux is 0 db so you need to bump that up

Cramitthefrog 12-07-2011 01:03 AM

I am trying to track down a radio out of a caddy because I thought they had a power antenna that is activated when you turn on the radio. This source could be used to also turn on the amp, but I can't find any schematics for it so I am just going to wing it. Anybody have any info on this.

Paniolo 12-08-2011 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cramitthefrog (Post 5052188)
I am trying to track down a radio out of a caddy because I thought they had a power antenna that is activated when you turn on the radio. This source could be used to also turn on the amp, but I can't find any schematics for it so I am just going to wing it. Anybody have any info on this.

I would bet others have it too. My am/fm/8track has an output for power antenna, but the pigtail wasn't wired. But the output from the radio works, if you can find a pin that fits the connector it would be easy. (or cannibalize a pin from a spare plug)

I opened mine up and the red wire that goes to the amp board from the back connectors, right next the the orange/green wires that carry each channel, is the power. You can easily see it in the 4th pic in post #1 coming from the back of the radio up to the same area the spliced aux input wires are at. I just spliced a single wire insulated connector into that and dangled the connector out one of the holes in the back of the case. That way I have a quick disconnect at the back for the remote wire.

Corts60 12-09-2011 08:44 PM

Hey guys, if this helps, I drew this while I am doing the mod to my stereo:

(This is for the switchable 1/8" aux jack)
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...orts76/IMG.jpg

wazzabie 12-31-2011 07:59 PM

Nice mod. How about adding a blue tooth audio receiver so songs can be played from a smartphone.

Amazon.com: Britelink Bluetooth Audio Receiver:... Amazon.com: Britelink Bluetooth Audio Receiver:...

1985-GMC 01-31-2012 01:43 AM

Anything new Crammit? I need to go hunt down a stock style radio so I can do this. Did you try out the caddy power antenna to amp idea? That would be really cool to do while im in there, im just not good enough at this kind of stuff to figure it out on my own. :)

REIDicoulous 01-02-2013 11:15 PM

My radio looks and is wired like Telecasterjoey how did you wire your aux up I looked at it and can't figure it out
Posted via Mobile Device

roundhouse 05-07-2014 11:03 PM

Reviving this thread

I want to try this
Also want to use one or two amps

Is there a way to install pre amp outputs in here ?
To bypass the amp board ?

I have to do that to use Amps right ?

mjh1965 08-01-2014 01:29 AM

Really good mod very helpfull post subscribed for when my truck gets reassembled

ls1nova71 09-18-2014 11:57 PM

Subscribed so I can find this again... ;)

Triple6Goat 09-19-2016 09:35 PM

I know I'm bringing this post back from the dead, but it's for good reason. Well, for me anyway.
My question is, why can't you do this on AM radio? Is it because I only have one speaker in the center of the dash? If that's the reason why then I think I might be able to still do it. The center white plug on the back of my radio currently has two wires running out for my one speaker, but there's another set of open ports in the plug for another speaker and they work. So if I wire up the other ports for another speaker I would no longer be mono, but stereo. Right? Or am I way off.
Posted via Mobile Device

Harley03joe 12-19-2016 09:52 PM

Who Can I Send My Factory Radio To For Repairs ??And Put In A USB Port So I Can Plug In My USB Drive And Hear My Songs
Here Is A Picture Of My Radio
Thank You For Any Input
Harley03joe :smoke: :smoke: :smoke:

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/h...y03joe/15-.jpg

PAWS 72 03-30-2019 12:57 PM

I know this thread is over 3 years gone but im fixing to do this to mine. I've been wondering if someone had done this to a 80's unit.

LDO 03-30-2019 04:18 PM

Did this to the radio in my 85 C10.
Worked great.

PAWS 72 03-30-2019 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley03joe (Post 7800279)
Who Can I Send My Factory Radio To For Repairs ??And Put In A USB Port So I Can Plug In My USB Drive And Hear My Songs
Here Is A Picture Of My Radio
Thank You For Any Input
Harley03joe :smoke: :smoke: :smoke:

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/h...y03joe/15-.jpg

Call Rickwood Radio in Birmingham, Ala and speak with Tim in Service. They used to be GM's warrenty repair. From way he talked hes been there for years. Im going to send my radio out of my 86 to them in a couple weeks to be checked. 250-942-5595.

Harley03joe 03-31-2019 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAWS 72 (Post 8497888)
Call Rickwood Radio in Birmingham, Ala and speak with Tim in Service. They used to be GM's warrenty repair. From way he talked hes been there for years. Im going to send my radio out of my 86 to them in a couple weeks to be checked. 250-942-5595.

Thank You PAWS, I Already Got It Done
Harley03joe

PAWS 72 03-31-2019 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley03joe (Post 8497989)
Harley03joe

Your welcome.

PAWS 72 03-31-2019 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley03joe (Post 8497989)
Harley03joe

Your welcome. How is it sounding? I'm wanting to do my factory radio so it will sound decent if I want to turn it up some.

ShortHaul 04-02-2019 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAWS 72 (Post 8498488)
Your welcome. How is it sounding? I'm wanting to do my factory radio so it will sound decent if I want to turn it up some.

Thought it might be worth it to mention, I used a different technique, but with the same results, on my 75 c20. Click on my build thread, it has all the pics and parts.

Basically, instead of having to pull the stereo out and have it modified, I just added a Bluetooth Amplifier. Your phone or ipod will connect to the amp wirelessly to play all your music, but then you wire the stock radio to the amp as well so you still get your factory AM/FM radio. Also it sounds way better because its running through the amp to your speakers. cheers