The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Rebuilding Vent Windows, How To... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=514602)

junkmen 05-06-2012 11:21 PM

Re: Rebuilding Vent Windows, How To...

thanks I'm going to bookmark this thread i have to do this when i reassemble my doors

x ReAcT x 07-09-2012 08:57 PM

Great job. Definitely going to bookmark this

primrrd 07-09-2012 10:20 PM

excellent write up. Thanks for your time and for sharing the steps!

Gordonr1973 07-10-2012 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by primrrd (Post 5477623)
excellent write up. Thanks for your time and for sharing the steps!

x2

Needs to be a FAQ.

Project82 07-10-2012 04:19 PM

Very nice info on this part of our trucks! i replaced my vent window seals about 2 years ago and i probably should've left the original vent window seals in because now with the windows all shut, it sounds like i'm missing an entire window lol. very LOUD wind noise. but im wondering if the seals i bought were right to begin with, i mean they fit but were not exactly the same. my windows are '82 model (2-piece weatherstrip), so i ordered the seal from LMC and they sent me 1-piece design seals??? i thought maybe they re-designed the seals to fit better than the 2-piece seals? so i installed them as-is, but i skipped out on buying some weatherstrip adhesive....so anyway im going to have tackle this project again, plus i have a couple spots to touch up paint too.

Just wanted to know how the reassembly process went with the rivets and the tool you ordered???

thanks, Kris

JCampbell 07-10-2012 04:56 PM

Any re-assembly photos?

Precision Parts 07-19-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Project82 (Post 5478886)
Very nice info on this part of our trucks! i replaced my vent window seals about 2 years ago and i probably should've left the original vent window seals in because now with the windows all shut, it sounds like i'm missing an entire window lol. very LOUD wind noise. but im wondering if the seals i bought were right to begin with, i mean they fit but were not exactly the same. my windows are '82 model (2-piece weatherstrip), so i ordered the seal from LMC and they sent me 1-piece design seals??? i thought maybe they re-designed the seals to fit better than the 2-piece seals? so i installed them as-is, but i skipped out on buying some weatherstrip adhesive....so anyway im going to have tackle this project again, plus i have a couple spots to touch up paint too.

Just wanted to know how the reassembly process went with the rivets and the tool you ordered???

thanks, Kris

The 81-85 were typically 2 piece style and unique to your assembly. That one piece does not fit snug so it's no wonder you're getting some wind noise. You can not use the 73-80 either as they will be slightly different.

The 2 piece style have been hard to get a hold off but I will have some coming in a few days.

-d

McSwine 07-19-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Precision Parts (Post 5494323)
The 81-85 were typically 2 piece style and unique to your assembly. That one piece does not fit snug so it's no wonder you're getting some wind noise. You can not use the 73-80 either as they will be slightly different.

The 2 piece style have been hard to get a hold off but I will have some coming in a few days.

-d

Would you mind shooting me a PM or replying to this thread when you get them? I'm like that other guy...my truck sounds like a 747 taking off.

Precision Parts 07-19-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McSwine (Post 5494519)
Would you mind shooting me a PM or replying to this thread when you get them? I'm like that other guy...my truck sounds like a 747 taking off.

I'll shoot you a PM

-d

faribran 07-19-2012 02:19 PM

thank you for taking the time to do this tutorial...well done.

faribran 07-19-2012 02:25 PM

oops. duplicate post

boatpuller 07-19-2012 02:53 PM

Nice job,real informative.....Iv'e been needing to do this for a long time.But,i keep talking myself out of it.

jhart625 09-04-2012 11:20 AM

Thanks for the write up. I just did my vent windows. I will say the hardest part was definitely getting the weatherstripping on the vent windows. Vaseline can be your best friend in the right spot and your worst enemy if there is any on the outside or if you don't immediately wipe your hands after putting it on the groove. Also i learned the weatherstripping glue comes out black but dries white, and did not hold very well. i would recommend getting another product instead.

Also i figured since i had everything apart i would install the keyless lock/unlock remote that LMC sells for like $60. I highly do not recommend it. Took a bunch of modifications and was just a pain in the *** the whole time.

Precision Parts 09-06-2012 10:57 AM

Whenever I've done test installs with our product I've always used silicone spray and a plastic weatherstrip stick.
http://precisionrestorationparts.com.../F32237082.jpg

The stick helps work in the rubber without piercing it.

By the way, the post seal rivets on the division bar and the main seal presses into the channel. There should be no reason to use weatherstrip glue on any of this weatherstrip.

-d

JCampbell 09-06-2012 12:22 PM

Precision - I think my Pop's just bought some stuff off you. His name is Steve. He’s down in Vancouver, WA. Says he was real happy with your products…especially after dealing with the crap LMC sent him.

I just picked up a shortbed that I’m going through. I’ll be in touch.

Precision Parts 09-06-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCampbell (Post 5577915)
Precision - I think my Pop's just bought some stuff off you. His name is Steve. He’s down in Vancouver, WA. Says he was real happy with your products…especially after dealing with the crap LMC sent him.

I just picked up a shortbed that I’m going through. I’ll be in touch.

Yep, I remember Steve, real nice guy and said the 81-85 2 piece vent weatherstrip worked well. Glad I could help with the correct product!

-d

Hart_Rod 01-05-2020 12:24 PM

Bump

Getter-Done 11-24-2023 01:17 AM

This needs Another Bump.

:chevy::chevy::chevy: