The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   More on EVs from a guy trying to sell them (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=849236)

dagnabbitt 12-12-2023 02:11 PM

Re: More on EVs from a guy trying to sell them

No normal adult likes being told what to do. And it is correct ask questions and oppose what is wrong. In the process we often often tend to put labels on ideas, and even ourselves. It is how our current society - continuously blasted by the media - works. Everyone pick a side!

In terms of the technology, EVs are somewhat unnecessary at this moment in time because combustion engines have never been better. They have never been more powerful or efficient or clean. They are absolutely a marvel, as the last days of old technology often are.

I will buy combustion powered vehicles for as long as they are available for me to buy, and I will approach my eventual and inevitable purchase of an EV with, frankly, distaste. Then I will get used to it. They are not going anywhere.

I think maybe a better conversation to have is how the eventual availability of aftermarket EV conversions for classics can save our hobby and keep old trucks on the road.

truckster 12-12-2023 02:39 PM

I disagree that EVs are inevitable. That's only true if government forces them on us. Neither market forces nor science will do so.

Boog 12-12-2023 03:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Perhaps this is a good time for some entrepreneurs to start putting together some small towable carts with portable generator kits with fuel can holder for those who want to make sure they can get there and back in their ev? :lol:

Keith Seymore 12-12-2023 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 9265971)
Perhaps this is a good time for some entrepreneurs to start putting together some small towable carts with portable generator kits with fuel can holder for those who want to make sure they can get there and back in their ev? :lol:

Funny you should mention that - because - that's how the Chevy Volt was born.

Back when GM was doing the EV1 program the brake guys and ride and handling guys were running out of juice at the far reaches of the Proving Ground, while they were driving around all day.

Somebody suggested they could rig up a small generator so that they could continue with their development work.

At some point after that - somebody suggested they could put the small generator under the vehicle hood, where the normal ICE would reside.

Viola! Chevy Volt concept.

K

Micmac 12-12-2023 04:42 PM

My wife has an E-Bike, she loves it. That being said, I live about 120 miles from Bangor Maine, the largest city in the US side near me. If I had to drive an electric car there to sho, I would have to sit down there and charge it before I came home. I could chance trying to make it but there is about 80 miles of wilderness on that road. You don't want to be caught out there in the winter. If I did al my business in Saint John New Brunswick it would be feasible. Not sure if I'm all in yet. I don't care if people WANT to buy them, I do care about mandatory laws that would work in Boston or Atlanta, but not all of us live in such places, in my case I live in the woods by choice.

dieseldawg142 12-12-2023 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB (Post 9265942)
Having said that, one of the contributors to this thread seems to be against companies making high profits, so maybe the financial health of EV-focused companies is of no concern to him.

seriously doubt that...
we have 2 threads of members bemoaning the high cost of auto and home heating fuel

https://www.energymonitor.ai/finance...200bn-in-2022/

but i guess some people are fine with getting ripped off.....

68bowtie 12-12-2023 10:24 PM

Bro back off

dieseldawg142 12-13-2023 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68bowtie (Post 9266052)
Bro back off

back off?
is'nt there 2 threads about the cost of fuel?
guess if your opinion is different than someone else's.............

Willie Makeit 12-13-2023 10:47 AM

I always giggle when someone from outside the United States verbalizes that they know what's best for those of us inside the United States.

The Brits thought they knew best a few hundred years ago. And you know what we did?

We shot them.

72c20customcamper 12-13-2023 11:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
People always complain about the cost of fuel . I paid 3.07 for regular yesterday. Take into account inflation that 3.07 was cheaper than the 1 dollar a gallon in 1980 when the national average price went over a gallon for the first time . I was making a wapping 275 a week at the time

MikeB 12-13-2023 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67C10Step (Post 9265954)
With many parts of the country already seeing an overtaxed electrical grid there is no way the load of EV's can be supported. On the generation side there is war going on and the consumer is going to come up short. In just my area, there is almost 3000 megawatts scheduled to go offline by 2028 and thus far the replacement has been 700 megawatts of solar. Not to mention, the 3000 gets produced 24 hours a day and the solar does not.

Try telling that to anti-ICE zealots. Many of whom, ironically, are also against power generation plants except for solar and wind, which as you pointed out are weather and sunlight dependent.

MikeB 12-13-2023 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckster (Post 9265967)
I disagree that EVs are inevitable. That's only true if government forces them on us. Neither market forces nor science will do so.

I agree. I just read where a Virgin Atlantic jetliner made a trans-atlantic flight running on sustainable fuel. CO2 emissions were approximately 80% less than jet fuel. That said, high volume production will be a challenge, just like electric power. Google "sustainable aviation fuel".

Also, Formula One Racing is shooting for Net Zero CO2 emissions by 2030 using sustainable fuels. Of course, those cars have been hybrids for several years now. The battery is charged around the circuit, then the motor is used to add power down the straights.

Total "power unit" output is close to 1,000hp, which is 850hp+ from 1.6 liter V-6 and another 80hp+ from an electric motor. F1 Management knows fans will go away without the banshee wail of those internal combustion engines.

MikeB 12-13-2023 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willie Makeit (Post 9266291)
I always giggle when someone from outside the United States verbalizes that they know what's best for those of us inside the United States.

Yeah, I know a French guy like that. He's just a little bit left of Chairman Mao! He can't understand why we don't have as many so-called "free" government services as France and the UK. But guess where he lives? Yep, the USA!

truckster 12-13-2023 02:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

The Brits thought they knew best a few hundred years ago. And you know what we did?

We shot them.

Yeah...

72c20customcamper 12-13-2023 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckster (Post 9266343)
Yeah...

Didn’t kill British that night ,Hessian mercenaries

truckster 12-13-2023 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 9266345)
Didn’t kill British that night ,Hessian mercenaries

My post didn't say we killed British that night. However, at the Battle of Assunpink Creek on January 2nd and the Battle of Princeton on January 3rd we killed a whole bunch of British. And, yes, we did cross a frozen river to do it.

72c20customcamper 12-13-2023 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckster (Post 9266346)
My post didn't say we killed British that night. However, at the Battle of Assunpink Creek on January 2nd and the Battle of Princeton on January 3rd we killed a whole bunch of British. And, yes, we did cross a frozen river to do it.

It’s all good

dieseldawg142 12-13-2023 08:29 PM

Quote:

and who would that be???
personally i could care less what americans do, i never stated you need to buy ev's.
i had a different opinion and as usual, everyone gets their panties in a twist....
i'm out, not going sit and get chastised cause my opinion is different

Keith Seymore 12-13-2023 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dagnabbitt (Post 9265961)

I think maybe a better conversation to have is how the eventual availability of aftermarket EV conversions for classics can save our hobby and keep old trucks on the road.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...826089&page=91

https://www.chevrolet.com/performance-parts/ecrate

https://www.zelectricmotors.com/

https://www.electricclassiccars.co.uk/

https://www.vintagevoltage.tv/

https://www.zerolabs.com/

https://www.dezeen.com/2022/08/09/re...cars-roundups/

https://retro-ev.com/

K

72c20customcamper 12-13-2023 09:32 PM

Edison motors announced a conversion kit recently . Don't think it’s on the market yet
https://www.edisonmotors.ca/edison-pickup-kit

joedoh 12-13-2023 11:43 PM

my brother told me once that I needed an apple watch, that it was made for guys like me. i thought he couldnt know me less well, that if he knew me at all the idea of a watch that i had to charge every single night, that duplicated the basic time keeping of the $100 watch I wore that would last years on a single battery with only the mirror of functions my phone already had was ridiculous on its face,

so is with EV, here is something that costs significantly more than the thing I already have, that has to be charged every night, that only mirrors the same functions my current car already has....

I dont care about 0-60 times if I have to recharge for hours after a round of fun, i dont spend all of my commute going 0-60 like a yo-yo. that kind of stuff wears thin on daily drivers anyway. the initial cost is prohibitive and electricity here is not 1:1 comparable with gasoline but its not a 1:0 by a long shot. I think the guys that like EV are also the ones who like smart watches, that I view as useless accessories and they view as essential. potato potatto.

LT7A 12-14-2023 10:03 AM

Quote:

We shot them.

Never mind the fact that we share 3000 miles of air (border) with Canadians, they're our North American brothers and the guys on here are our truck brothers. While your initial comment had a measure of validity if put into the right context, with your example added it is the kind of thing that alienates people and for no good purpose.

Willie Makeit 12-14-2023 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseldawg142 (Post 9266393)
and who would that be???
personally i could care less what americans do, i never stated you need to buy ev's.
i had a different opinion and as usual, everyone gets their panties in a twist....
i'm out, not going sit and get chastised cause my opinion is different

you posted your opinion and we posted ours, yet you're the only one who seems upset & leaving the conversation. tell us all again who has their panties in a twist?

remember: more times than not, its not WHAT you say, it's HOW you say it. your posts in this thread sorta come across as mean-spirited and from what seems like a position of superiority. no one likes to be talked down to, including you it seems with your decision to leave the conversation.

oh well.

Willie Makeit 12-14-2023 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 9266546)
Never mind the fact that we share 3000 miles of air (border) with Canadians, they're our North American brothers and the guys on here are our truck brothers. While your initial comment had a measure of validity if put into the right context, with your example added it is the kind of thing that alienates people and for no good purpose.

duly noted but also not overly concerned with folk's sense of alienation or hurt feelings. im not open to being lectured to by a non US citizen on what is or isn't good for us (US citizens) without also having an opportunity to share my own input & perspective. The entire world would have gone to $hit many many years ago if it were not for the US and it's citizen's generosity & sacrifice. sorry for the bluntness but our hyper-concern for "other people's feelings" is what is wrong in the world right now.

again, just my opinion. ;)

57taskforce 12-14-2023 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willie Makeit (Post 9266555)
duly noted but also not overly concerned with folk's sense of alienation or hurt feelings. im not open to being lectured to by a non US citizen on what is or isn't good for us (US citizens) without also having an opportunity to share my own input & perspective. The entire world would have gone to $hit many many years ago if it were not for the US and it's citizen's generosity & sacrifice. sorry for the bluntness but our hyper-concern for "other people's feelings" is what is wrong in the world right now.

again, just my opinion. ;)

Damn this board needs a like button so bad!