The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Alternate Tinkerings (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Halfbreed - GMC Z71 + IH Extd Cab (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=391741)

Racinaround 04-02-2010 01:36 AM

Re: Halfbreed - GMC Z71 + IH Extd Cab

sub.

Stitch 04-02-2010 06:48 AM

it's a fat hoe...lol

sparkydog 04-02-2010 06:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry (Post 3896129)
If you know my builds then you know which direction I would have gone :D (diggin the CC concept though).

Then this is probably more your style!! :lol: I've traded emails with the owner. It has a mild roof chop and the front window was laid back. And now that I am studying front fender wells, I'm looking at this and thinking maybe he messed with the swoosh thingy too.

Frizzle Fry 04-03-2010 12:46 PM

That looks pretty schweet. Chop does work well on those.

sparkydog 04-05-2010 03:01 PM

The Plan: Cab Location & Next Steps

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and ideas. I had PLENTY of time to sort things out while driving back to Portland from Vista this weekend. I also stopped in Jacksonville and met with my coach/cousin-in-law Terry Simmons from T's Rod and Fab. After all was said and done I have decided that I will stick to my original plan and go for the cab-forward look - and deal with the consequences of that decision. When I get back to Vista, my next steps are:

a) position cab fore/aft at final location and make final trim of GMC firewall/cowl so I can drop the cab down to the approx final ride height. DONE!

b) remove GMC fuel tank and cross member (which need to drop 2" to give me the lowest bed ride height). DONE!

c) cut the forward wall off the bed, shave the taller cross ribs and get it up on the chassis for full scale mockup. DONE!!

d) mess with bed and cab ride heights until they match and clamp off at this position. DONE!

e) proceed with tack welding/fab of cab to floorpan and cowl to firewall. DONE!

f) make final cuts to bed and remove section, proceed with tack weld of shortened bed. DONE!

g) mod/refab new cross member and reinstall fuel tank at lower ride height. DONE!

That ought to give me plenty to do for the next 3 weeks of the build.

Racinaround 04-05-2010 03:41 PM

wow if i could only that much done in three weeks!!

sparkydog 04-23-2010 12:33 AM

4 Attachment(s)
OK I have a little bit of progress. Got the bed empty and out where I can work on it and up on some blocks.

Welded in a cross brace and marked up the bed where I will rough cut in order to get it mocked up on the GMC chassis.

I also dropped the gas tank and confirmed that not only did I get a running truck for $550 but it had a nearly full tank of gas! Not that I am complaining but now I have to get that fuel over into my Burb because there's no way I can play around with a full tank of gas if I have to modify the ride height of the tank.

Next up is shaving 4 brackets off the bottom of the bed and cutting off the front.

sparkydog 04-24-2010 12:39 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Cut the front of the bed off.

Shaved some unwanted brackets off and notched a cross rib.

Added a support strut to keep the wobbly sidewall stable.

sparkydog 04-24-2010 12:42 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I was going to wait until Sat morning when I had some help to get the bed up on the chassis. But is was only about 3pm at this point so I did my typical thing and went ahead on my own.

sparkydog 04-24-2010 12:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
So far I am really happy with the progress. I have a few adjustments to make under the bed to clear a couple of things. Then I think the bed will come down about 1/2" in the back and 1" in the front.

I also think I will shorten the bed another 1/2" or so to get the wheel positioned better in the fender well.

Maybe by tomorrow I will have the bed front back in and can start tack welding. :metal:

89muscletruck 04-24-2010 01:51 AM

Now thats cool!

NONHOG 04-25-2010 11:08 PM

Man your going to town ! awesome progress :metal:

sparkydog 04-25-2010 11:21 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Well lads and lassies - mark today on your calendars. Approx 5 months after starting the tear down and after all the sawing and slicing and towing and stowing of chit. I finally started putting stuff together! :metal::metal::sumo:

Friday and Saturday I morphed the former cab dolly into some overhead beams up in the trusses of my rental so I could hang the bed from the ceiling.

And on Saturday I measured and marked the bed for the final cuts. Today I waited like an impatient little kid for 9am to roll around so I could start cutting. I ended up taking a total of 11" out of the length of the bed.

sparkydog 04-25-2010 11:23 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Then it was "jump in the deep end" time and I started lining up the metal and tack welding. Did I mention that I have NEVER done this stuff before?

(But I DO sort of know what I am doing... )

I started in the middle of the floor and worked my way over to each side. Then up and down on each side. I was very, very happy with my first day ever of tack welding. I think I will redo the drivers side exterior wall of the bed but that is not bad for a virgin.

sparkydog 04-25-2010 11:25 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Next it was time to dive under the bed and check for interferences. First stop was in the very back where I wanted to see just how close the GMC frame rails came to the back of the rear skirt of the IH bed. I knew is was going to be close (but that I cleared OK) and there it was - just as if I had planned it.

In the photo the dark colored stuff is the GMC frame and the lighter rusty stuff is the bottom of the IH bed. The holes in the frame are where the bumper brackets and receiver hitch bolt in.

Next stop was farther forward where the shortest height IH bed cross rib was. This was the rib I was trying to lay down on the top of the GMC frame rails. As you can see in the pic I have about 1/2 to 3/4 clearance.

All the way forward was the highest point on the GMC frame - the cross brace where the gas tank hangs. This was where the IH bed floor was riding on. So I will have to shave the top off that cross member.

Lastly was an interference with the pass side shock mount bracket. I will have to extend my notch in one of the IH cross ribs in order to clear this.

ALL in ALL NOT.... TOO.... BAD!!! :metal::metal:

I will try to knock out these corrections during the evenings after work this week. The the bed will be as far down as I can get it and time to line up the cab and floor with the bed.

sparkydog 04-25-2010 11:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh yeah I have one more interference that I know of. This one I am going to fix with a BFH. The bottom of the IH cab and the top of the GMC stock muffler are going to hit once I start to drop the cab lower to match the bed.

Not interested in spending much time on this one right now. I'll nuke/replace the muffler later on if I ever get this thing running.

sparkydog 04-27-2010 10:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Took out the GMC cross member that was preventing my IH bed from sitting lower down on the frame. That dern cross member was only in with 6 rivets but it put up a fierce fight. However eventually they gave up. Now the front of the bed is where it will stay and I can move on to the cab/floorpan and finalize their positions and start tack welding. Looks like my computer sketches were just about right on. From the photos I would say the cab is going to drop another .6" or so.

Wish I could get the whole rig outside of the garage and take a nice side shot of everything. But for now I'll have to stick to the close-in 3/4 side shots.

sparkydog 04-29-2010 04:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This weekend I will probably be tack welding my cab to the floorpan and firewall. So I'm faced with a decision on ride stance that has repercussions later on when I go to do any suspension drop.

In the attached sketch I show an exaggerated view of what I am talking about. In the upper picture I show that I can create a slight rake toward the front depending on how I fine tune the pickup bed and cab before I tack weld.

In the lower part of the sketch I show that the bed and cab are parallel to the frame rails.

I am leaning toward the upper one with the slight rake forward. This gets my front end dropped a little more before I even mess with lowering kits. This means I will get a lower drop on the front without having to work to hard.

Does anybody know of a reason not to do the slight rake between the floorpan and the cab rockers?

Palf70Step 04-29-2010 05:33 PM

I think the the level look would be better.

Create the tilt with the suspension.

1985-GMC 05-01-2010 10:57 PM

This is a cool build! subscribed

Sven 05-02-2010 02:37 PM

Get's better every time I read ... you better get this running after all this work, mate! :)

sparkydog 05-02-2010 10:26 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Thurs eve and Friday afternoon I finished the mods to the rear bed mounts and got them in and the bed back on. Now the bed sits as low on the GMC frame as I can reasonably get it without having to do major mods to the floor of the bed. Not the most exciting pictures but they show the new rear mount bolt coming down into the frame and the other two major cross ribs of the bed as they hug the frame. This extra .5" of body drop were important to me.

sparkydog 05-02-2010 10:28 PM

5 Attachment(s)
With the bed taken care of I raised the IH cab high up and did a final round of cutting/clearing and primer to the interior of the cowl area before beginning to weld the IH cab onto the GMC floorpan.

I also finally got around to joining up the two rocker boxes. I'm sure some of you were wondering from my photos whether I was just going to leave them 1/4" off in height or not. But all it took was a little scissors jack and some final trimming and they lined up real nice. I also let the jack work on the boxes a little after I tack welded just to get the metal warmed up and relaxed in it's new orientation.

sparkydog 05-02-2010 10:29 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I had saved some of the pieces of GMC rockers when I shaved them to get the floorpan to fit inside the IH cab. Now I used these to scavenge off the box sections where the GMC body mount brackets were going to merge with the inner wall of the IH rocker boxes. I also "cleaned" and prepped the IH rocker box areas a bit before sitting the IH cab down into it's final ride height.

The final photo is crappy but it's trying to show that I was using a plumb line to run along the bottom corner of the rockers and the bed to get them to all line up.

sparkydog 05-02-2010 10:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
And again not the most spectacular pictures but these next three represent a HUGE milestone for me. The three trucks have now officially become one truck!!!

:metal::metal:..... :sumo::sumo: ......:smoke:

For the first time early Sat afternoon the GMC chassis and the 67 and 68 IH body parts were all together and a single ground clamp anywhere on them would allow me to weld anywhere else.

WHEEEWWWW that was a lot of work. I sat down to admire and instantly dozed off. So I went in the house and took a proper nap. While I was sleeping some aliens must have came in my room and beat the crap out of me because when I woke up I could barely move I was so sore.

sparkydog 05-02-2010 10:40 PM

I can start fitting and welding in the missing sections of floorpan and lay in a few struts up in the cowl area to solidify the body a bit.

Sunday I dealt with what to do about my fuel tank needing to be lower than stock. I took pictures but they aren't very exciting. By the eve I had decided what to do and brought my mediocre fab skills to their best and had modified the two stock mounting brackets and dropped the tank 2.5" so it would clear the IH cab and bed. Now that it is lower I will have to reroute the filler pipe a bit. But what street rod project would be complete without a filler pipe relo?

And that concludes this week's tinkering folks. I actually got every one of my tasks accomplished for this trip to SoCal. And I still have a couple of evenings after work before I fly home.

Palf70Step 05-03-2010 05:34 AM

Very nice. I am loving watching this one come together.

sparkydog 05-05-2010 12:33 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Well I squeezed in a little more progress. Last night I "integrated" the cab cowl and the firewall by adding 4 little tab brackets. (Metal for these brackets courtesy of leftover 67 pickup roof tin.) Here is a shot of one of these little brackets that contains my personal best MIG bead so far (on the right) I should have shot the photo before I primed because it was sweet - like a factory robot did it.

The effect of these 4 simple little brackets was dramatic. Suddenly the cab structure wasn't "loose" anymore as the firewall began to serve as a major structural support. Now I can grab onto the cab and it feels like a real truck.

I was having such a good time that I decided to see if the GMC HVAC unit was going to clear the cowl sidewalls and what do you know!!! Misses by a 1/16th or so! So here's a teaser pic with the HVAC unit mocked up and one of the dashboards thrown in for fun.

sparkydog 05-05-2010 12:34 AM

2 Attachment(s)
And tonight I finished off the mods to the rear frame x-member that holds the fuel tank. Here's a couple of pics just before I trimmed off the excess metal and primed. The steel for the dropped flange used to be the forward bed mount brackets. Hey - I'm from Oregon and we recycle!

The modified x-member is now back up inside the frame and the tank is clamped up for mockup of the fuel filler pipes. In the last pic that thing on the right looks like a tow bar but is in fact my "fab bench" - that is what I use to clamp off stuff to when I cut or weld. Yes my knees are sore.

FRENCHBLUE72 05-05-2010 09:05 AM

Damn nice work that dash is huge or at least it looks huge this is gonna be a killer ride when done..Are you gonna leave it in cali or bring her home to oregon when finished?

sparkydog 05-05-2010 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRENCHBLUE72 (Post 3958823)
Damn nice work that dash is huge or at least it looks huge this is gonna be a killer ride when done..Are you gonna leave it in cali or bring her home to oregon when finished?

I'm not lovin the dash. It blocks off too much of that big, glorious IH windshield. But I will probably start off using it so as to get the truck drive-able. However I want to cant it down a bit and extend it out toward the driver a few inches.

Ultimately the truck will end up in SoCal because the whole family is moving there later this year. But it will see some time in Oregon before that.

FRENCHBLUE72 05-05-2010 11:04 AM

Sweet deal if your ever around the southern oregon area id love to see it..

pickup67man 05-05-2010 11:13 PM

Subscribed. I love watching lots of cutting and welding to make something that wasn't original.

sparkydog 05-07-2010 01:07 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Oh it is soooo much easier to mockup stuff and take teaser pics than to just do actual work!!! ;)

Bye bye little truck project! See you again in 2 weeks!

Sub-versive 05-07-2010 01:32 AM

I have to say, I can't wait to see this project completed! I really dig your vision!
:metal::metal:

67ChevyRedneck 05-07-2010 02:16 PM

Been gone a while and had to catch up!

Coming along very nicely! Looks like you won't have to cut up the front clip now?

sparkydog 05-07-2010 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck (Post 3963012)
Been gone a while and had to catch up!

Coming along very nicely! Looks like you won't have to cut up the front clip now?

A slight shortening is still in the Grand Master Plan. However I am not going to do any more chopping up and stick with putting together for awhile. I want to drive it and goof off a bit and see if I can forget about all the cutting. At that point I will be ready to take on the nose job. Plus my cut/tack/fitment skills should be better at that point after learning on the bed, cab roof and doors.

sparkydog 05-08-2010 12:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone have a suggestion for a make/model of car/truck that would have a rubber fuel fill hose that has a sharp 90 degree bend in it? I need to adapt something off another make/model to help me out on my project.

The stock GMC fill pipe is mostly a straight shot into the tank but now that I have lowered the tank I need to dodge the frame rail.

Thought I'd ask for suggestions before I just start wandering around a U-pullit yard with my sawzall.

Edit: I found a picture that shows what my situation is. It shows the stock position of the tank. There is just enough room on a GM truck for the filler pipe to do a straight shot at a slant down into the tank (dotted yellow line). But I have lowered the tank 2.5" and now the inlet is buried against the inside of the frame rail. I want to try and turn a 90* forward and then another 90* back out to the side. So I need a rubber piece like the black line in the picture.

1985-GMC 05-08-2010 06:13 PM

The 73-87 filler hose has a 90 it, but im not sure if it's what you want. Here's a few on classic parts http://www.classicparts.com/Hoses/products/1013/

sparkydog 05-10-2010 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1985-GMC (Post 3964998)
The 73-87 filler hose has a 90 it, but im not sure if it's what you want.

Yes that will probably work. Thanks very much for the suggestion. Now I can spend less time wandering around the parts yard and more time wrenching the stuff off!